Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I've never understood the "redemption" of Vader anyways. It's like if at the very end of WWII with an allied victory absolutely certain, Hermann Goring pushed hitler down a shaft and told his son he loved him. Vader/Anakin was one of the galaxies worst war criminals and directly participated in genocides and the very creation of the empire. The galaxy is just support to forgive and forget because he had a deathbed change of heart? Also pre-sith Anakin was kinda of an unstable weirdo with massive school shooter vibes anyways, he was never a cool guy.

I don't think anakin's redemption was really ever treated as germane to anyone but luke. Everyone else still had every right to hate him, and did, in both the old canon and this canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Luke should be made to publicly denounce his father in a new republic struggle session.

Also where was Anakin's force ghost when what's his butt was being turned to the dark side at Luke's jedi academy under the guise of it being grandpa vader whispering in his ear?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Baronjutter posted:

Luke should be made to publicly denounce his father in a new republic struggle session.

Also where was Anakin's force ghost when what's his butt was being turned to the dark side at Luke's jedi academy under the guise of it being grandpa vader whispering in his ear?

Luke is the child of Anakin’s flesh. Ahsoka is the child of Anakin’s mind. Luke did his job, but Ahsoka was the actual investment.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

That episode was worth it for showing that they CAN do proper prosthetics for Ahsoka. Flashback Ahsoka looked right out of TCW, same with Anakin. I was pretty annoyed when Ahsoka first appeared in Mando and she looked nothing like she had even in the epilogue scene for Rebels, but they slowly got better and better.

Now they have these flashbacks and I think "well why the gently caress couldn't you have done that 3 years ago? You're loving Disney, bankrupt the studio like Walt used to do for the animated movies!" oh and also, thank you for giving Hayden something to do. He owned his scenes and did a pretty convincing job emulating a cartoon emulating him, as others have said. The fight scenes were great. Honestly, the flashback stuff was the highlight of the episode, kind of a shame that the stuff outside was pretty droll in comparison. I agree with what others have said, the pacing for Hera and co was pretty lazy and boring. I can't say if it was a dialogue issue, a directing issue, but things just grinded to a drat halt until they were skimming the water.

Honestly, most of the standing around at the ruins could've been cut. Hera touches down and finds Huyang in a state (droids are allowed to be upset), and he explains what he thinks happened. Carson informs Hera that they're running out of time and need more than just "sweep this area again" and then Jacen does the "can't you hear the fighting?" bit with the water. Hera gives the order, the Ghost takes off and, honestly, just take Jacen with you. He's demonstrated he can "sense" so get him on the Ghost for the "get closer to the water" bit. You do that and you can trim a few minutes and lose nothing. Hell, you've just upped the urgency, and you don't have to cut anything with Ahsoka and Anakin.

I am not against slow burn stuff, but more often it falls into plodding in this show and then it's just boring. Considering that these episodes are tending to be around 30 minutes each, they're still getting a lot done with short runtimes. I dunno, I'm still enjoying the show, but the pacing is frustrating

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Leia should be made to publicly denounce her father in a new republic struggle session.

Actually, I think they did a novel about that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

My understanding is that's the placemat reason why she's off leading the galaxy's worst paramilitary in the sequels instead of actually being in government, people found out she was related to darth vader and it was considered scandalously disqualifying from a life in politics

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Giant Tourtiere posted:

Of course it's interesting that the 'don't entirely shut down the rest of your being to be a Jedi' advice is coming from Anakin.

He learned the Hard way

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's funny that I was mad as gently caress about Force ghost Hayden but he showed up here and called Ahsoka "Snips" and I teared up

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
Is this the first time in live action it’s been explicitly stated Anakin was Ahsoka’s master? I can’t remember if it came up earlier or in another show. It’d be really funny if so. I can’t imagine the casual viewer’s reaction.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No Mods No Masters posted:

My understanding is that's the placemat reason why she's off leading the galaxy's worst paramilitary in the sequels instead of actually being in government, people found out she was related to darth vader and it was considered scandalously disqualifying from a life in politics

Yeah it actually quite reasonably explains why both of them are sort of hermits or outcasts. I bet the galaxy wouldn't really hold luke up as some amazing symbol of the rebellion and support his training of a new generation of jedi. Oh, Vader's kid wants his own army of space wizard knights? Yeah no thanks. So he had to go off and make a sort of off the grid academy that never got much official support.

Kinda sucks for both of them. They were exactly the sort of moral and political leaders the NR needed. Even old Mothra can't really hack it in the new republic, which sucks because they explore and set her character up amazingly in Andor. Now she's just yet another career politician apologizing for having their hands tied but there's simply nothing they can do.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Snowmanatee posted:

Is this the first time in live action it’s been explicitly stated Anakin was Ahsoka’s master? I can’t remember if it came up earlier or in another show. It’d be really funny if so. I can’t imagine the casual viewer’s reaction.

I think it was the first time they've said it outright in live action. She told Luke during her weird appearance in Boba Fett that she knew Anakin, but I don't think she said he was her master.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
That’s amazing. It was probably impossible to avoid spoilers or explainers giving Ahsoka’s background, but I like to imagine someone who only ever watched the movies freaking out at seeing Anakin with a Padawan. It would have been a really good reveal.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it actually quite reasonably explains why both of them are sort of hermits or outcasts. I bet the galaxy wouldn't really hold luke up as some amazing symbol of the rebellion and support his training of a new generation of jedi. Oh, Vader's kid wants his own army of space wizard knights? Yeah no thanks. So he had to go off and make a sort of off the grid academy that never got much official support.

Kinda sucks for both of them. They were exactly the sort of moral and political leaders the NR needed. Even old Mothra can't really hack it in the new republic, which sucks because they explore and set her character up amazingly in Andor. Now she's just yet another career politician apologizing for having their hands tied but there's simply nothing they can do.

I find it a little bit unsatisfying considering luke kinda does become an amazing symbol of the rebellion anyway if star wars 8's ending is to be believed. I guess the galactic vader hater demographic can forgive you if you die heroically, ironically

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
So I guess the tiara protects Ashoka’s weird little ear-holes, right? Or…is that how she breathes and the tiara is some kind of filter? I’m glad we get to see the full prosthetics, but I now only have more questions.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Halloween Jack posted:

I still want to know why, if the Imperial remnants are going to rally behind Thrawn because he's the highest-ranking, they haven't already rallied behind the highest-ranking guy who hasn't been missing and presumed dead for several years.

I think it's a misunderstanding to say they'd follow him "because he's the highest ranking"

It's more that he's the highest ranking for a lot of the same reasons they'd follow him

He's legendary in a way that Sub Admiral Steve Smith isn't

Also/or a bunch of same-ish rank ex officer warlords are currently competing with each other and he could unite them

maybeadracula fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 13, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thrawn527 posted:

So what do they do when they get to the next galaxy? Unless Thrawn has already taken the place over (which I'm not exactly ruling out, but that makes him less likely to give a poo poo about returning), a galaxy is a big place. Searching one planet at a time is gonna take a while.

Like, has Thrawn just been waiting at the entry point for years? No, right?
The closing credits show us the stars and planets on the other side

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Tiberius Christ posted:

Ahsoka trained Sabine wrong, as a joke

"...and she was a good friend"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowmanatee posted:

That’s amazing. It was probably impossible to avoid spoilers or explainers giving Ahsoka’s background, but I like to imagine someone who only ever watched the movies freaking out at seeing Anakin with a Padawan. It would have been a really good reveal.

Having only watched live-action stuff, Episode 5 does a good job of establishing that Anakin wasn't really a 'master' but just some rear end in a top hat that Ahsoka was briefly tossed in with because they were shortstaffed for training.

Big "get the gym teacher to fill in for history class" vibes.

Baronjutter posted:

I've never understood the "redemption" of Vader anyways.

One of the few good things about the ST is that it presents the crucifixion of Vader as a religious event with differing interpretations.

On the one hand, you have 'Vaderists' (e.g. Ben Solo) who believe, quite accurately, that Luke rejected the Republic model by laying down his sword and siding with the abject, subhuman (half-droid) Vader against Palpatine. In a purely ethical act, Luke chose death over unjust victory. gently caress the Republic/Empire; droid rights!

On the other hand, you have 'Lukists' (e.g. Leia), who see Vader as a figure of pure evil who Luke righteously obliterated. Luke resurrected the brave hero Anakin, who died fully endorsing the Rebellion and the New Republic. This view conveniently ignores that Anakin, the Republic war hero, was a fascist nerd who did massacres and stuff. Also, the New Republic sucks rear end. Boo!

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 13, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anakin appeared to warn Ben Solo the emperor was still alive but unfortunately just said "You must finish what I started"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Anakin appeared to warn Ben Solo the emperor was still alive but unfortunately just said "You must finish what I started"

Anakin not being great at communicating, even as a force ghost tracks pretty well tbh.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I enjoyed the Star Wars show this week and feel sad for anyone that didn’t. Maybe next week the show will turn into Andor so you can be happy again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

John Wick of Dogs posted:

This was palpatine actually

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Where did Admiral Ackbar go? Why does Hera, a general?, have command of his flagship? Why are senators micro managing the navy? Why is the fat xwing guy afraid of some random ship captain? Is she going to relieve Hera of command? Why do Bib Fortunas and rancor snack girls head tentacles from 1984 look 10x better than the ones in this show? Why does none of this poo poo make any goddamn sense?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

banned from Starbucks posted:

Where did Admiral Ackbar go? Why does Hera, a general?, have command of his flagship? Why are senators micro managing the navy? Why is the fat xwing guy afraid of some random ship captain? Is she going to relieve Hera of command? Why do Bib Fortunas and rancor snack girls head tentacles from 1984 look 10x better than the ones in this show? Why does none of this poo poo make any goddamn sense?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v.comb.io/B0zW62Zw/Oxk3MH.mp4?1544941508509

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Giant Tourtiere posted:

What I got from it is that Ahsoka has been spending whatever amount of years agonizing over her failures, especially people she failed to save, doing nothing but live in her ship and cruise around grimly doing Important Jedi Things. Anakin is suggesting that failures are inevitable, bad things happen, but it isn't necessarily anyone's *fault*. It's the nature of doing things in the world. 'I choose to live' is deciding to be more of a whole person instead of just a Jedi, and that (to me) explains why Ahsoka is happily enjoying the cool factor of talking to space whales afterward.

Of course it's interesting that the 'don't entirely shut down the rest of your being to be a Jedi' advice is coming from Anakin.
It's definitely true she's haunted by her failures and stuck in Being A Jedi mode, but I'm not really persuaded that it explains the "life or death" dichotomy as presented here. She may be jaded and reserved, but she's not depressed, passive, doubtful of her purpose, unwilling to fight for what she considers to be a worthy cause (stopping Thrawn and/or finding Ezra) or estranged from the world. Post-RotS Obi-Wan or First Order-era Luke she is not.

Let's not forget that she ends up in Force purgatory as a direct effect of her, as Anakin bluntly points out, losing a fight. A fight in which she was accused of having a legact just like Anakin's, namely one of death and destruction. A fight that she not only could have won if she had thought things through a little more, but which possibly could have been avoided entirely if she had not decided to draw her lightsaber in the first place. In her padawan form, she makes it plain that she is troubled by the fact that she was trained for warfare, and considers that her legacy is "death and war", echoing Baylan's criticism. In her mind, all she can or knows how to do is destroy. But then her confrontation with Anakin ends when she refuses to kill him and pointedly discards her weapon. The choice that's ultimately presented to her is not about her life or death, but Anakin's, and she chooses to spare him. To me, this looks not like someone deciding to be just more of a "whole person", but someone who realises that she can be someone else - which is visualised by the sudden shift from all-black to all-white clothing.

The very next thing she actually does, too, is to find a peaceful solution to her problem by communicating through the Force. I feel there's a clear parallel her with how, as a mere infant, she tamed this tiger-like creature in the first episode of Tales of the Jedi (entitled "Life and Death", coincidentally). It's like a rebirth, a return to the person she was before she was turned into an impetuous, aggressive child soldier.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You would know the answer if you watched season 4 of the clone wars

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
What are rhe failures Ahsoka is haunted by besides not being there for Anakin when he was going through his poo poo?

Honest question as I don’t remember.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Why is the fat xwing guy afraid of some random ship captain?

I love Carson being this sort of hapless bad cop that just goes along with whatever he's thrust into.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sombrerotron posted:

Let's not forget that she ends up in Force purgatory as a direct effect of her, as Anakin bluntly points out, losing a fight. A fight in which she was accused of having a legact just like Anakin's, namely one of death and destruction. A fight that she not only could have won if she had thought things through a little more, but which possibly could have been avoided entirely if she had not decided to draw her lightsaber in the first place. In her padawan form, she makes it plain that she is troubled by the fact that she was trained for warfare, and considers that her legacy is "death and war", echoing Baylan's criticism.
Baylan slaughtered a starship full of people so he could rescue someone who wanted to start a war, a conflict which he considers necessary.

I'm not complaining that she bought into his framing of her past but I don't think his analysis holds up to real scrutiny.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Lobok posted:

Think I said it earlier in the thread but it seems wild to me that they didn't save this for a movie.

True enough, having a whole galaxy of different aliens, possibly its own unique galactic government, possibly its own weird take on force users, is really quite the open canvas especially with how it's seemingly not all that difficult to hop from one to the other (given the crazy scale of travel that going from galaxy to galaxy entails).

There's also ready-loaded extra-galactic major threat from the EU/Legends material that they could load up that galaxy with and create a major antagonist for the traditional Star Wars Galaxy at basically any time in the Star Wars timeline. If they make that a thing and just briefly tease that situation before jumping the hell out of there, that'd fully make my book fan heart soar.

Ultimately going to a whole other galaxy is by a wide margin the craziest thing they've put into any Disney Canon Star Wars thing that isn't a movie. I'm not expecting much to go down there with so few episodes left, but I hope they set it up as a VERY intriguing galaxy/situation over there in one way or another and that the two galaxies continue to have some form of interaction/impact on one another in future Star Wars material.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thrawn is going to be chilling in New Mexico, as an artist at Taos who "got way too into colloidal silver. '

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
My prediction: The other galaxy Thrawn went to turns out to be almost identical to the original Star Wars galaxy except there are some weird aliens you’ve never seen before. Or hell, some not so weird aliens you’ve never seen before.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Baylan slaughtered a starship full of people so he could rescue someone who wanted to start a war, a conflict which he considers necessary.

I'm not complaining that she bought into his framing of her past but I don't think his analysis holds up to real scrutiny.

He was also very quick to just go straight up impaling that Captain when the captain called his bluff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

theblackw0lf posted:

What are rhe failures Ahsoka is haunted by besides not being there for Anakin when he was going through his poo poo?

Honest question as I don’t remember.

well there's the scene we see in this ep, where during an early battle she gets a platoon killed because of her arrogance;
there's her failure to be a friend to bariss offee, who because of her disillusionment becomes a terrorist;
there's her hiding the warning maul gave her about anakin's turn to the dark side during the siege of mandalore from the jedi council;
she freed maul from imprisonment to help save herself after order 66;
she failed during her first fight against vader...and she died during the collapse of the temple but ezra used the temple of time to save her later;
she couldn't save ezra during the final battle against thrawn;
apparently we are to assume that she was so worried about training sabine to be a soldier instead of a jedi that she just called it quits and abandoned her

that's what i got off the top of my head

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Larryb posted:

She was honestly a better Ahsoka than Rosario in my opinion (though the latter’s fine whenever she drops the stoic act)

You seem to have forgotten what Jedi are like, stoic is their midddle name

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there was also that time she got possessed by the Avatar of the Dark Side of the Force and was an unwilling accomplice in killing the Avatar of the Light Side of the Force

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

site posted:

there's her failure to be a friend to bariss offee, who because of her disillusionment becomes a terrorist;

I know they hosed up Ventress but please somebody do a story with Bariss, we left her in a really interesting place and I would kill for a follow-up that's not "she died in Order 66" or "she regrets her words and deeds and is a Jedi again"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hey, she's got a 2D photo of Kanan. I wonder if that is actually a photo of Freddie Prinze Jr., lol.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Barriss's fate has been left unstated because Filoni supposedly had/has plans for the character.

Honestly though, I've never been able to buy into her whole arc. It's one thing to be disillusioned with the Jedi Order, even thoroughly fed up with the entire state of the Republic, but having her resort straight away to committing a terrorist bombing and framing her friend for it? Outside of "the Dark Side made her do it", which feels eminently unsatisfying in its own right to me, Barriss's actions just seemed to come too far out of left field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

MMAgCh posted:

Barriss's fate has been left unstated because Filoni supposedly had/has plans for the character.

Honestly though, I've never been able to buy into her whole arc. It's one thing to be disillusioned with the Jedi Order, even thoroughly fed up with the entire state of the Republic, but having her resort straight away to committing a terrorist bombing and framing her friend for it? Outside of "the Dark Side made her do it", which feels eminently unsatisfying in its own right to me, Barriss's actions just seemed to come too far out of left field.

I mean you could say the same for Anakin

Not that you shouldn't, but it's a core story so hers pales in comparison