Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
They really should make cross-datacenter play possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

All the NA data centers are on the West coast and you can travel between all four.

Ask me about my ping from the Mid-Atlantic to California. :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also changing jobs on the fly is ingrained even into the game storyline. The generic hyur insert in cutscenes/promos started as an archer in 1.0, switched to war by the end of 1.X, was WAR in ARR and DRG in HW. NPCs even change jobs in the story.

I love that the HW intro cutscene (don't watch if still doing ARR and you care about story spoilers) is the guy saying "those look cool, I wanna do that."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Different jobs have different explanations for why they’re common or rare. You’re one of the only White Mages in the world because a war between White Magic and Black Magic destabilized the world’s aether so badly that it caused the Fifth Umbral Calamity. So now they’re both forbidden arts, with Conjurer and Thaumaturge being deliberately watered-down versions. Thaumaturges only use the caster’s own aether, and Conjurers need to play mother-may-I with nature spirits.

Also, TLD, from your descriptions and reactions to some stuff in the game, I think you’d really like Dark Knight. Part of the DRK questline addresses your character’s lingering resentment.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 13, 2023

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

girl dick energy posted:

with Conjurer and Thaumaturge being deliberately watered-down versions that only use the caster’s own aether.

Not the lore thread, but this is explicitly not the case. They both use the environment's aether. That's the whole Selphie "you don't pay my sub" screenshot taken out of context, because she was using her own aether.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Not the lore thread, but this is explicitly not the case. They both use the environment's aether. That's the whole Selphie "you don't pay my sub" screenshot taken out of context, because she was using her own aether.
Right, Conjurers use the elementals’ aether. Forgot about that, I’ll correct it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's a deep irony that Dark Knight's story would probably resonate with TLD the hardest of any job class questline, especially when he's sticking with WHM

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Fine! I’ll try Dark Knight sometime lol

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

hopeandjoy posted:

All the NA data centers are on the West coast and you can travel between all four.

Ask me about my ping from the Mid-Atlantic to California. :negative:

Yeah but when I hear “cross dc play” i think of “all regional dcs merged so that you can queue in aether and get matched with people in crystal”

Which is basically what would fix the current issue with how dc travel works

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe I don't want to play with people from Crystal :colbert:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

Fine! I’ll try Dark Knight sometime lol

Based on your feelings about ARR, you will not regret it :allears:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Just remember to read the journal entries, they're the best part.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I do data center hop for RP stuff and let me tell you… Balmung is filled with degenerates

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Maybe I don't want to play with people from Crystal :colbert:

too bad because they've all moved to aether for pf purposes

though in the days before they tagged your server in party chat, which was WELL before the NA sundering, we used to have a good time of "spot the balmung" in alliance raids. wasn't even anything related to character, just the way people behaved and talked

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Look, Balmung is a perfectly respectable server as long as you don't turn on a blacklight.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

1stGear posted:

Look, Balmung is a perfectly respectable server as long as you don't turn on a blacklight.

Red Mage LB3 ain't got nothing on this.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it is extremely funny to me to see someone independently arrive at the general wisdom that everyone on balmung is horny for weird poo poo all the time

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

1stGear posted:

someone took me on a "tour" of Balmung and it was funny to see what amounted to an orgy in Ul'Dah at 10:30am

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I mostly just DC travel because Primal's economy is hosed eight ways to Sunday, so it's actually feasible to buy low from other DCs and sell high back home.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Mister Olympus posted:

Yeah but when I hear “cross dc play” i think of “all regional dcs merged so that you can queue in aether and get matched with people in crystal”

Which is basically what would fix the current issue with how dc travel works

It's pretty wild this is not a thing a decade in. I understand cross-region play is challenging to make work but this?

(although, didn't they talk about how cross-region is totally possible at the fan fest? Odd they'd be working on that before even linking all the regional datacenters into a single pool...)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

DC travel has destroyed Chaos (EU) PF, everyone goes to Light now.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

World War Mammories posted:

it is extremely funny to me to see someone independently arrive at the general wisdom that everyone on balmung is horny for weird poo poo all the time

I believe the classic Balmung defense is "it's not us, it's people traveling to us as MMO sex tourists," which is extremely funny if true. I think Malboro came up as the big offenders?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The FF14 RP community in general is extremely horny, no server is free of sin.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Mr. Neutron posted:

It's pretty wild this is not a thing a decade in. I understand cross-region play is challenging to make work but this?

(although, didn't they talk about how cross-region is totally possible at the fan fest? Odd they'd be working on that before even linking all the regional datacenters into a single pool...)

I imagine the work they did getting DC travel working got them most of the way to having functional cross-region travel. Linking DCs together for queues is gonna be a whole different set of problems to work through.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

What yoshi mentioned at fanfest is that they could implement cross-region DC travel but would still need to work on a full cross-DC PF. He was hesitant to do the former because it's not really that much of a benefit for a lot of people, and would cause huge amounts of annoying issues in the first month of activity or so.

Antivehicular posted:

I believe the classic Balmung defense is "it's not us, it's people traveling to us as MMO sex tourists," which is extremely funny if true. I think Malboro came up as the big offenders?

I believe this completely. also to clarify my earlier post, this was also when server cultures were MUCH more distinct, and you could usually spot a balmung player by this weird haughtiness they had about things entirely outside the mechanics of the game. but server cultures are gone now

the real Horny Server is twitter

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 14, 2023

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

Balmung had a bad reputation that was made way worse after DC Visit because every moron who wants to be the center of attention comes here to shout dumb poo poo.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I feel like there's a slightly better chance that the "this is clearly an ERP alt" characters I see are from Balmung vs. other Crystal worlds, but only slightly. The Balmung ones also seem more likely to look like they were made to also do non-erotic roleplay alongside the ERP, whereas the non-Balmung ERP cryptids are much more blatant.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

I mostly just DC travel because Primal's economy is hosed eight ways to Sunday, so it's actually feasible to buy low from other DCs and sell high back home.
Hell, Primal's economy is hosed enough that even just world-travel is often enough to get a massive discount on expensive crafting materials or what-have-you.

Last week someone on Excalibur was selling multiple stacks of thousands of Ice Crystals for 6 gil per crystal. :psyduck:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That’s cause you get ice clusters from aetherial reduction of the fishes that gives you aethersand from spearfishing. I got over 1500 ice crystals and clusters today while getting a stack of aethersand. I don’t know exactly how many I got because halfway through I was capped at 9999 each.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s cause you get ice clusters from aetherial reduction of the fishes that gives you aethersand from spearfishing. I got over 1500 ice crystals and clusters today while getting a stack of aethersand. I don’t know exactly how many I got because halfway through I was capped at 9999 each.
Selling them at 6 gil per crystal is still like an 80% loss of your potential profit for literally no reason. I consider it a good deal when I get ice cystals at 26 gil per.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Hell, Primal's economy is hosed enough that even just world-travel is often enough to get a massive discount on expensive crafting materials or what-have-you.

Last week someone on Excalibur was selling multiple stacks of thousands of Ice Crystals for 6 gil per crystal. :psyduck:

For a few brief glorious hours last month, general-purpose metallic silver dye was 90k on Behemoth and 15-20k on all the other worlds in Primal.

Made a cool two million off that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

girl dick energy posted:

Selling them at 6 gil per crystal is still like an 80% loss of your potential profit for literally no reason. I consider it a good deal when I get ice cystals at 26 gil per.

I get what you’re saying, but the ffxiv marketboard is a pure supply/demand situation. There are a lot of people still crafting high end food for raiding and thus an overflow of ice clusters and crystals. The market price is the equilibrium price on that server. That arbitrage opportunities may exist is a separate matter. You can’t sell them on primal for 26 gil per because there’s far more supply than demand.

Water crystals/clusters, otoh, are more expensive because they’re not generated as effortlessly as a side part to other production.

E: looking right now only clusters are really priced low. Crystals are still selling for a good amount.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 14, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
gently caress yes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

gently caress yes

Nashu will never lead you astray. I'd trust her with my life.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shinjobi posted:

Nashu will never lead you astray. I'd trust her with my life.

While i'd trust her with my life I would not trust Nashu with explosives. Despite this fact she gets her hands on them quite often and easily.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Kwyndig posted:

While i'd trust her with my life I would not trust Nashu with explosives. Despite this fact she gets her hands on them quite often and easily.

Shhh... let her cook

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shhh... let her cook

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Considering we have the power to resurrect ourselves at our preferred aetheryte to hug and kiss, I'd trust her with anything just to see what happens.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

I would not trust Nashu with anything more complicated than opening doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

gently caress yes

Oh yeah, that reminds me. Did you spot Nashu's stalker during the ARR quests?