Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Well poo poo. There's an Google TV / Android app called Quasi TV that does a quick and dirty version of that with a plex library. It looks more like a modern program guide type thing and it doesn't adjust episode lengths to hit standard block sizes, but this is not bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

This is my dream setup, it just needs the fancy scheduling software on top to make it perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot-gYEIWNJs&t=536s

[edit] the retro TV rabbit hole goes deeper than I knew, there's a project for raspberry PI that enables it to send teletext information in the blanking portion of the composite video out. I guess you need a PAL tv to have the hardware to decode it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6KhRiMtu4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLu_94TlmF8

r u ready to WALK has a new favorite as of 08:51 on Sep 7, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

r u ready to WALK posted:

I was on board with the video until the end when he made it clear it was a proprietary one-off with no plans to share any code or build instructions.

Yeah agreed, I’m sure the comments section was a nightmare and I don’t blame him for disabling it tho. You just know it’s gonna be full of people wanting to get the content. I’m guessing his code is setup with no front end at all and only works in his very specific setup, and doesn’t want to be plagued with questioning. I’d love to see a follow up video breaking down exactly how it works tho rather than just demo-ing the output. The description mentions using ffmpeg to monitor for blank video (ie going to commercials) for shows that don’t have chapters which is super smart. If you source your shows from nefarious places, the chapters are pretty much always stripped out as web sources like Amazon don’t include them and most don’t get dvd/bd releases these days.

quote:

Not sure which frontend to use though, ErsatzTV sounds promising since all my media is in Jellyfin

I can probably help with some of this stuff as I use both ersatz and Dizque (ersatz doesn’t need Plex for its sources and works well for my music channels, Dizque relies on libraries and has more in depth scheduling options) but if you’re already looking at that kind of hardware, my gut feeling is you won’t have any issue with any of the available software. Documentation is about as good as most open source stuff and is a bit lacking, but they have discord channels for support etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

T.C. posted:

Well poo poo. There's an Google TV / Android app called Quasi TV that does a quick and dirty version of that with a plex library. It looks more like a modern program guide type thing and it doesn't adjust episode lengths to hit standard block sizes, but this is not bad

From what I’ve heard, it’s a great and simple way to start messing about with this as it’s all client side. I primarily use an AppleTV so it’s not for me, but I’ve meant to play around with one of my Firesticks and see what it can do.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

That dude's DIY solution is terrific. I'm also bummed he doesn't want to release it, but beyond project burnout I can sort of see why he wouldn't even want to release the skeletal structure of it so people could fill in the blanks - it would just end up getting him harassed by everyone on the internet who feels entitled to his work.

It *would* be nice if he broke down how he did some of the more specific things code-wise so they could be implemented elsewhere. He gave the broad overview, so I'm sure people can hack it out themselves with enough talent, but even just elaborating on his solutions for how things are kept organized or how he ensures metadata is accurate (I assume he's manually editing it in, given most of it is VHS rips), etc. But that runs into the same issue as if he were to just release the code itself without content: people will harass the heck out of him for more.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I've already ordered two of those aliexpress modulators :haw:

In the mean time ErsatzTV works great streaming to kodi in recalbox, I have one of those SCART hats from https://www.recalbox.com/recalbox-rgb-dual/

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I already use a converted ipad screen for my MiSTer, so it'd be pretty cool to have it also act as a kinda/sorta tv as well. I could build a tiny wooden media stand to make it look like the corner of a living room, and I might even get it done before my wife has me committed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Do all these (non-insane homelab full of aliexpress RF modulator) IPTV solutions like ersatztv not also just spend all day burning electricity and spinning up your hard drives while nobody is watching, or is there some kind of voodoo going on where it keeps to the schedule and brings up the required file at an appropriate time stamp when you go to the channel?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That was definitely a concern I had while watching the video, the channel switching seems pretty fast which gave me worry, but also if he’s running it all on a Pi and it’s undoubtedly modifying the video feeds for at least some of the channels using ffmpeg (the mtv song ident etc) then maybe not and it’s just efficient enough to switch across that fast.

Before I watched his video, just based on my own meddling, I came up with several ludicrous ideas I’d think would be awesome to implement in my own.

1. AI generated voice of Kurt Loder reading current music news headlines over stock images/videos of the artist in question to make new MTV News ‘episodes’ on the fly

2. Phone call (coolest) text (still cool) or discord bot (less cool but still neat) music video request system to queue things up

3. On scheduled channels, similar to the mtv news thing, have videos generated on the fly showing stuff that’s airing tonight. Either as text on screen or showing a muted clip with generic music playing over the top (so it doesn’t matter what it’s showing, won’t cut off a joke etc).

One day perhaps.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Do all these (non-insane homelab full of aliexpress RF modulator) IPTV solutions like ersatztv not also just spend all day burning electricity and spinning up your hard drives while nobody is watching, or is there some kind of voodoo going on where it keeps to the schedule and brings up the required file at an appropriate time stamp when you go to the channel?

I’d hope it’s the latter, not the former. There’s no reason to keep things running all the time.

If Animal Crossing for the GameCube can calculate scheduley things upon powering the system up, I’d hope these things can too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like how "run an entire cable network in house" will probably still take less time to boot from cold than an actual cable box would after a power failure. My dad's takes 10 solid minutes to boot. It takes less time for a 1970s aircraft to do its entire INS alignment than it does to boot that stupid cable box.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last Chance posted:

I’d hope it’s the latter, not the former. There’s no reason to keep things running all the time.

If Animal Crossing for the GameCube can calculate scheduley things upon powering the system up, I’d hope these things can too.

I just reread the post above mine again and realised I slightly misread a bit, but can confirm that Dizque and Ersatz at the very least are just using smart schedules and not running media when it’s not being watched. It was the YouTube dudes example I wasn’t sure about, but I’m sure it’s the case with him too.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm buying tickets when this band goes on tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0KJ46snb-M

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No-one told me Kung Fu Flash from The Future Was 8-Bit is full of, well, pirate copies of Commodore 64 games. I mean I'm not complaining but I do find it a bit odd. Is there no-one left to sue them?

Anyway Jack the Nipper is great.

(I hadn't used the cartridge before but now I got a(nother) C64 and I needed it to run tests.)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am in a delightful position to comment on that given just yesterday I was at a talk at Vintage Computer Festival Midwest that touched on this issue; Trixter/Jim Leonard talked about it at length from his perspective as one of the earliest people pushing the concept of abandonware, and his basic point was, using a brilliant three-word phrase I have totally forgotten now, that just as nobody left in positions of authority is old enough to care about the 1960s/1970s software piracy, 1980s software piracy has been almost completely dropped as a priority, given it costs something like $4,000 to even have a big legal team draft a cease-and-desist and that is probably more money than is at stake in most circumstances. 1990s software piracy is still a dicier issue, but presumably in another decade that will be a minimal priority as well (that is me extrapolating admittedly)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

History Comes Inside! posted:

It's just really good at skipping to the moment it should. I've run Ersatz and Disqueue and they're not running multiple feeds at once, they're just spinning up what a database says they should be.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I would like to share with you a weird journey I just had:

Back in the late 80's one of the many games we played on the PC-XT was a poor attempt at an arcade beat'em-up called Bad Street Brawler-
If you had a nice color monitor back then it looked like this:

who are you kidding, I had a CGA and you did too:

Reminiscing about old DOS games I looked up information where I was surprised to learn it was first published as Bop' N Rumble on the C64
(Timged for bare chested man)

And also as Street Hassle

I was already aware of the NES version from the Seanbaby article https://web.archive.org/web/20060707231957/http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm16.htm

But the real surprise that I could not have predicted was the 1993 Polish remake/clone

Who knew that not good game got this far?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Armies of crawling Karl Lagerfelds was the price we paid for the fall of the wall

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And check out that end slide:

Hubba Hubba

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.retrojunk.com/a/IIJDja88mM/retroputing-packard-bell

I googled image searched Packard Bell Navigator for a yospos post and drat, they have a list of all the software that came with a Packard Bell in the mid 90s, I remember all of these!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Did no one ever develop a skifree game where you hunt down the yeti? I feel like that had to happen several times while the game was avail.ab

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

By popular demand posted:

Did no one ever develop a skifree game where you hunt down the yeti? I feel like that had to happen several times while the game was avail.ab

yeah it was called quake

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

You don't ski in Quake, and I'm not sure there are any snowy slopes there eithr

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Starsiege: Tribes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I used to make comics in MS Paint about the SkiFree guy getting a gun and shooting the Yeti. I was like 10? 11? I wish I still had them, they were pretty good iirc!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
PC accessories were weird around 2000.

I bought this because I wanted to have a direct cooling duct to the 8+ spinning rust hard drives that ran all the time due to it running that old windows media file server version that you could make with disparate capacity HDDs.

I am just glad rent included electric but it was super toasty that winter.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I can’t even tell how that works. :psyduck: input through the slot cover pulled through by the fans to cool internal components (like your hard disks) I guess? But wouldn’t that really only be effective if the whole case was tightly sealed for the air to exit elsewhere?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I replaced this ASAP but the old Packard Bell modem/soundcard lol

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

imagine this baby in a classic PB pizza box tower

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Modem, sound, gameport. What else do you need really?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Desert Bus posted:

Sure it sucks as a sound card, but it's certainly retained its value better than any of the other ISA modems I have.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Was that an Aztech card? For some reason I associate them with packard bell.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Desert Bus posted:

thread title please

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I remember my friends and I referring to them as Packard Hell because they sucked even worse than Gateways.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

EVIL Gibson posted:

PC accessories were weird around 2000.

I bought this because I wanted to have a direct cooling duct to the 8+ spinning rust hard drives that ran all the time due to it running that old windows media file server version that you could make with disparate capacity HDDs.

I am just glad rent included electric but it was super toasty that winter.

I think I still have one of those around somewhere, I used two of those plus as many case fans as I could fit in my last pentium system, that thing ran so hot you could damm near cook your dinner on it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

It took way too long for PC case manufacturers to realise that fans bigger than 80mm existed.

Late 90s it was perfectly normal for a computer to have four 80mm fans screaming away at 12V all the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember my friends and I referring to them as Packard Hell because they sucked even worse than Gateways.

In the mid 90s I had a Packard Bell and easily the best part of it was a remote control with a surprisingly decent rubber control on it that could move the mouse cursor.

Kicking back, surfing the internet, no mouse needed. Bliss.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The lovely Win95 166mhz pizza box Packard Bell from 1996? ish is still running in my dad's basement for some reason somehow. I swapped the CPU fan like 20 years ago and it just keeps chugging along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

The lovely Win95 166mhz pizza box Packard Bell from 1996? ish is still running in my dad's basement for some reason somehow. I swapped the CPU fan like 20 years ago and it just keeps chugging along.

Evil never dies.