Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

for every sulfite you add to the atmosphere, I'll add three methanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

smoobles posted:

for every sulfite you add to the atmosphere, I'll add three methanes

*siberian permafrost has entered the chat*

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

redleader posted:

how long til we start firing sulfates into the atmosphere now

NOW!! DIM! THAT! SUN!!!

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The lack of dimming at this point demonstrates how intentional warming is

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mmmm Dim Sum

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Honky Mao posted:

The lack of dimming at this point demonstrates how intentional warming is

Not really intentional because c'mon who's gonna be the first one to lose their money? Once someone starts to spend money on cooling, everyone is just gonna not do it because hey, someone's doing something I don't have to do anything now

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Red Baron posted:

*siberian permafrost has entered the chat*

* Greenlands glaciers have joined Siberia’s party. *

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Can't we just shove a few hundred nukes in yellowstone and let nature do the planetary cooling for us?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Can't we just shove a few hundred nukes in yellowstone and let nature do the planetary cooling for us?

That would destroy all of the nations in North America and certainly kill me so yes I am for it please let's get started on this right now.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

NeonPunk posted:

Not really intentional because c'mon who's gonna be the first one to lose their money? Once someone starts to spend money on cooling, everyone is just gonna not do it because hey, someone's doing something I don't have to do anything now

Mr. Burns was able to turn it into profit!

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

It's like you wanna speed run the final episode of Dinosaurs

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
everyone get on the side of the planet nearest the sun and jump up and down on 3

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

NeonPunk posted:

It's gonna be China. China is going to save us all.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Seven Force posted:

It's like you wanna speed run the final episode of Dinosaurs

there was an episode where once an elder turned a specific age, like 75 or so, they ceremoniously got tossed off a cliff. I think they had some good ideas that were ahead of their time

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Thats the plot of midsommar

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

seriouspost: If some shitcorp figures out how to profit [through government subsidies and grants] off blasting sulfur or other junk into the atmosphere to slow cooling from the sun, and then actually starts doing it, is it going to impact photovoltaic electric production? Because a lot of other shitcorps are getting rich by funneling money into their pockets through various PV scams right now and they aren't going to like someone cutting into their production [of cash].

I also have a vested interest in that my electricity is generated by PV

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

you could figure that out by looking at the absorption spectra of these sulfates in the atmosphere and then compare that with which wavelengths the PVs use. i'm not gonna do that but i don't think they're necessarily the wavelengths that sulfates efficiently block to reduce heating. then figure out a plausible concentration we could get to and math out the amount of decreased PV efficiency

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Hooplah posted:

you could figure that out by looking at the absorption spectra of these sulfates in the atmosphere and then compare that with which wavelengths the PVs use. i'm not gonna do that but i don't think they're necessarily the wavelengths that sulfates efficiently block to reduce heating. then figure out a plausible concentration we could get to and math out the amount of decreased PV efficiency

:nice:

Thanks! That's a lot of sciencing I'm not gonna do either but it makes sense.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i lied, i'm curious now. unfortunately it looks like newer PVs are pushing further into IR regarding their peak efficiency... which is the range these aerosols *reflect* (not absorb, i misspoke) most efficiently. my guess is they would be at odds with one another unless i'm misinterpreting the spectra i'm seeing

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The idea of sulfates is to seed cloud growth, not block light by itself. You would thus need to look at absorption of water, which is edit: I mixed poo poo up, woops.
Unfortunately most PV panels work in near IR, just after the valley, so it's not perfect, but relatively ok.
I expect that the plans for cloud formation would be over bodies of water anyway, as the acid rain formed from the sulfates would be bad for plant life (and maybe ocean life too I guess but that's no man's land so not a problem).

Leandros has issued a correction as of 17:24 on Sep 13, 2023

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

redleader posted:

how long til we start firing sulfates into the atmosphere now

kinda already happening https://www.technologyreview.com/20...ak-the-climate/

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
good, make Weather Machines Real Now

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Leandros posted:

The idea of sulfates is to seed cloud growth, not block light by itself. You would thus need to look at absorption of water, which is edit: I mixed poo poo up, woops.
Unfortunately most PV panels work in near IR, just after the valley, so it's not perfect, but relatively ok.
I expect that the plans for cloud formation would be over bodies of water anyway, as the acid rain formed from the sulfates would be bad for plant life (and maybe ocean life too I guess but that's no man's land so not a problem).

so do these sulfates not actually reflect IR on their own? I thought that was how they worked. also i don't think you want absorption, as that means the EM energy was taken up by the atmosphere, heating it up. i know clouds contribute to albedo via reflection/scattering, but i don't think that graph shows that.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

good, make Weather Machines Real Now

Already real my friend:

Look at that beautiful cloud!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pingui posted:

Already real my friend:

Look at that beautiful cloud!

drat those could have been fueling crypto farms what a waste

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

just replace those tires with EV tires

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Hooplah posted:

so do these sulfates not actually reflect IR on their own? I thought that was how they worked. also i don't think you want absorption, as that means the EM energy was taken up by the atmosphere, heating it up. i know clouds contribute to albedo via reflection/scattering, but i don't think that graph shows that.

I had a cascade brainshart, mixing up reflection and emission (which is the same as absorption), as well as aerosol injection and cloud seeding (I thought they were the same concept using different seeding materials). I stand by the assumption that both would be done predominantly over the oceans though, so the PV performance should not be too much worse off.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The remnants of Hurricane Harvey in 2017 hosed up my Appalachian Trail summit day and made it a cold and miserable wet mess with zero visibility. Lee is going to absolutely gently caress up the end of a lot of people's hikes and I say to that, lol

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

That's kinda really underselling just how huge Lee is. Boston could still get pummeled with loads of wind and water as it goes past

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

yeah but it's Boston

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I’m pretty sure that Boston needs a good powerwashing

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Well, guess I'm not picking up my medication on Saturday!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

boston lee party

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

triple sulk posted:

boston lee party

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

triple sulk posted:

boston lee party

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lee. n. the side or area that is sheltered from the wind.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

ikanreed posted:

Lee. n. the side or area that is sheltered from the wind.

Saturday's weather report: Hurricane, with a coincidental irony warning

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1702088758810599676#m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

boston lee party