Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it! I’m trying to keep my hopes up that it hasn’t spread too far, etc., but given her age, health condition, etc., I also realize the challenge she faces. But she wants to fight to be able to spend as much time with her young grandkids as long as possible, so hopefully we’ll still get a fair amount of time left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Air Skwirl posted:

I work for USPS and have never been drug tested (thank god).

8 years at SSA. Mentioned it once about 2 years in ("hey I just realized, this is the first job in 20 years nobody ever drug tested me") and got told in hissed tones by more than one person shutthefuckupshuthefuckupshutthefuckUP

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I’ve been drug tested for almost every job I’ve ever had and I’ve only done office work. They used to do random drug testing at the car dealerships I worked for, despite me never driving anything but my own car.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So uh Leper or someone else...

What's the deal with these alien corpses in Mexico's Congress? It's a hoax, right?

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/13/1199251336/mexico-alien-corpses-congress

MEXICO CITY — Mexico's Congress heard testimony from experts who study extraterrestrials on Tuesday.

And the hearing started with a huge surprise.

Jaime Maussan, a self-described ufologist, brought two caskets into the congressional chambers. As Maussan spoke, two men uncovered the caskets, to reveal two bodies.

The corpses looked white and like stereotypical depictions of aliens — big head, little body, three fingers. Maussan said they were found in Peru in 2017 and are estimated to be 1,000 years old. One of the bodies had been pregnant, he claimed.

"These are not mummies," he said. "These are complete bodies that have not been manipulated." Speaking under oath, Maussan claimed the bodies were nonhuman.

Maussan and others have presented similar claims about alleged alien remains in the past. Scientists have dismissed them as either ancient Peruvian mummies or manipulated mummies.

During Tuesday's hearing, José de Jesús Zalce Benítez, a forensic expert and a military doctor, walked the Congress through scans of the alleged alien bodies.

He claimed the alleged aliens had big brains and big eyes — "which allowed for a wide stereoscopic vision" — and they lacked teeth, so they likely only drank and did not chew.

The hearing also included remarks by Ryan Graves, executive director of the Americans for Safe Aerospace organization. A former Navy fighter pilot, Graves was one of three U.S. veterans who testified in front of a U.S. congressional subcommittee investigating the existence of UFOs in July.

Mexico's Congress also was shown videos of Mexican pilots struggling to make sense of fast-moving flying objects before them.

"We are not alone," Maussan claimed.

On Wednesday, the day after the hearing, Graves distanced himself from it.

In a post on X, formerly Twitter, he said he accepted the Mexican Congress' invitation "hoping to keep up the momentum of government interest in pilot experiences" with "unidentified anomalous phenomena" or UAP.

"Unfortunately, yesterday's demonstration was a huge step backwards for this issue," he wrote. "My testimony centered on sharing my experience and the UAP reports I hear from commercial and military aircrew through ASA's witness program. I will continue to raise awareness of UAP as an urgent matter of aerospace safety, national security, and science, but I am deeply disappointed by this unsubstantiated stunt."

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I don’t think anyone here would know one way or the other

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
https://reddit.com/r/aliens/s/5JNnecROXJ

The other stuff from it. It’s hilarious.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Amy Pole Her posted:

I don’t think anyone here would know one way or the other

If anyone would know, I'm sure a goon somewhere has followed this.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Debunked because lol of course it was

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hope your mom can beat the cancer, SourKraut.

Maybe they can harvest some cure from those Mexican aliens.

Now I'm thinking of that classic line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHaTAa9bR2c

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

If anyone would know, I'm sure a goon somewhere has followed this.

Id have to assume its fake as hell. Im pretty sure Ive seen those floating around for a while. The new "scans" of them just crack me up because as much as Im convinced alien life does exist... this aint it. Too ET like. IMO

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Some of y'all have never driven in the Southwest and it shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(roadside_attraction)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Silly Burrito posted:

What's the deal with these alien corpses in Mexico's Congress? It's a hoax, right?

MEXICO CITY — Mexico's Congress heard testimony from experts who study extraterrestrials on Tuesday.

Jaime Maussan, a self-described ufologist, brought two caskets into the congressional chambers. As Maussan spoke, two men uncovered the caskets, to reveal two bodies.

The corpses looked white and like stereotypical depictions of aliens — big head, little body, three fingers. Maussan said they were found in Peru in 2017 and are estimated to be 1,000 years old. One of the bodies had been pregnant, he claimed.

"These are not mummies," he said. "These are complete bodies that have not been manipulated." Speaking under oath, Maussan claimed the bodies were nonhuman.

Maussan and others have presented similar claims about alleged alien remains in the past. Scientists have dismissed them as either ancient Peruvian mummies or manipulated mummies.

During Tuesday's hearing, José de Jesús Zalce Benítez, a forensic expert and a military doctor, walked the Congress through scans of the alleged alien bodies.

He claimed the alleged aliens had big brains and big eyes — "which allowed for a wide stereoscopic vision" — and they lacked teeth, so they likely only drank and did not chew.

The hearing also included remarks by Ryan Graves, executive director of the Americans for Safe Aerospace organization. A former Navy fighter pilot, Graves was one of three U.S. veterans who testified in front of a U.S. congressional subcommittee investigating the existence of UFOs in July.

Mexico's Congress also was shown videos of Mexican pilots struggling to make sense of fast-moving flying objects before them.

In a post on X, formerly Twitter, he said he accepted the Mexican Congress' invitation "hoping to keep up the momentum of government interest in pilot experiences" with "unidentified anomalous phenomena" or UAP.

"Unfortunately, yesterday's demonstration was a huge step backwards for this issue," he wrote. "My testimony centered on sharing my experience and the UAP reports I hear from commercial and military aircrew through ASA's witness program. I will continue to raise awareness of UAP as an urgent matter of aerospace safety, national security, and science, but I am deeply disappointed by this unsubstantiated stunt."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaime_Maussan

That’s the guy who brought the bodies. He’s already been caught up in another hoax like this before.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

MrLogan posted:

National security jobs/clearances are another example.

My buddy who has done a lot of work on rail projects for the government has basically abstained since college because he *could* be randomly tested at any time. It was never really his thing, and I'm pretty sure that's been his go-to excuse for about 15 years now (he is a pretty impressive binge drinker, so I think he views cannabis as ipecac).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Silly Burrito posted:

I saw higher quality aliens on those Fox Alien Autopsy specials in the 90s

Completely unrelated topic, but the disgraced former chief Sheriff of LA (ie the one who protected the cop gangs and raided County Supervisors houses for questioning him) is running for a county Supervisor seat (even the cop union says he is going to lose by a lot). He is running for 1 of the 5 supervisor seats, which has a population of 2 Million people, or more than 15 loving states. Its ok, the extremely corrupt LA City Council atleast has 15 people to represent 4 million, so its totally accessible to the average citizen (with a couple 100k to bribe a councilors spouse). But thats fine too, because they've finally started talking about expanding the city council in a decade

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 14, 2023

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When I worked at Boeing I got drug tested once before starting and that was all I really needed to do. Since I wasn't a mechanic, I was never at risk. They only tested people if they caused an accident at work.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think drug testing only occurs out here in areas where you work with dangerous poo poo like heavy machinery or knives and cutting stuff.

I've never had a random test despite being adjacent to logistics and power tools etc.

Id light that fuckin thing up like bugs bunny on a strength tester.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I ordered Dominos earlier and the delivery guy gave me 4 FREE ranches AND a FREE weed pen, he buys in bulk down mountain and slings up here since we ain’t got dispensaries.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Not all heroes wear capes

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I always salute Dominoes drivers when I pass by. True mountaineers. 100 year storm? 30 minute pizza

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I never heard of this before but dear god that's just such an incredibly fake looking thing in that photo you posted, like, it looks like a 12 year old sculpted it out of clay and then sifted some flour on top of it. It looks nothing at all like an actual mummified corpse.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

a sexual elk posted:

I always salute Dominoes drivers when I pass by. True mountaineers. 100 year storm? 30 minute pizza

We're nearing the time when Neal Stephenson's The Deliverator from Snow Crash isn't just fiction

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

We're nearing the time when Neal Stephenson's The Deliverator from Snow Crash isn't just fiction

Dunno what the gently caress you’re talking about but kuddos to those that do

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Snow Crash is a cyberpunk novel written in 1992, the main character is introduced as a part time software coder and part time pizza delivery driver for the mob's pizza franchise. When delivering pizza, he is called The Deliverator, ignores all driving laws and safety of other motorists, wears black bullet proof body armor and goes around armed with guns and katanas to ward off people trying to steal his pizza or car. The car is like the bat mobile in the Nolan Batman movies, multi tired armored tank thing with a jet engine so he can make all deliveries in 30 minutes or less. If he fails, the mob boss has to hand deliver the pizza and the Bad Things happen to the delivery driver for such failure.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Leperflesh posted:

I never heard of this before but dear god that's just such an incredibly fake looking thing in that photo you posted, like, it looks like a 12 year old sculpted it out of clay and then sifted some flour on top of it. It looks nothing at all like an actual mummified corpse.

Man you're right, alien biology really is wild!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

BlindSite posted:

I think drug testing only occurs out here in areas where you work with dangerous poo poo like heavy machinery or knives and cutting stuff.

I've never had a random test despite being adjacent to logistics and power tools etc.

In The Santaland Diaries, David Sedaris says "my urine had roaches and stems floating in it", and it always makes me laugh

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’m going to meet some puppies this morning :3:

I’m also running on 1/2(sleep) after getting my rear end in a top hat turned out 14hrs/day this week at work, then staying up late doing calculus and programming homework.

I need a long long long vacation.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My last job (office in a dealership, so I heard everything going on) we had mandatory pre-hire drug tests, and then only if you had an accident or incident at work.

One day during a period when we were really low-staffed on lube techs, one of them backed a convertible Solara into the raised alignment rack behind his stall and tore the convertible roof. They sent him to get drug tested, he pissed hot, and they were like “Well, gently caress, we have like 6 techs we can’t fire him. Tell him to come back when he passes a drug test.” and after that I started partaking in more weed lol

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I've only had to pass a drug test twice for work, once to be the director of marketing at a hotel, the other for a contract job at a huge financial services company. The latter I fully understand, because I had direct access to a lot of PII.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ahhh memories of getting my 9 yr old bro up at 6 am to pee in a cup for me. He got a brand new Lego X Wing set in return.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BlindSite posted:

As someone who has worked with heavy machinery and knives at different times, yeah. I was drug tested before I got my job as a meat cutter at a supermarket, so I was operating band saws and meat grinders and other stuff that can remove fingats. One guy reeealy cut himself while sharpening knives (this store did not have the three sided sharpening block) and he was tested after the injury.

Then I was a truck driver and was tested before employment and then tested a few times randomly. That's heavy machinery territory, 40 tons going 65 mph, and I totally understand testing for that job.

Delivering pizzas for Domino's? lol that's where I got my weed back then. I'm clean now.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 14, 2023

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Urinetheclear helped me pass 4 drug tests between my two fortune 100 jobs. And one of my bosses just *knew* I smoked weed

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s fun to be tested fairly frequently for EMS knowing how many bags of saline I’ve given to hungover coworkers over the years. And how sleep-deprived we all are.

Weed is like the least of our issues.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

It’s fun to be tested fairly frequently for EMS knowing how many bags of saline I’ve given to hungover coworkers over the years. And how sleep-deprived we all are.

Weed is like the least of our issues.

It should be the opposite for EMS and some other health care jobs. "Well it says here you don't take any drugs and you claim not to drink. There is no visible bruising, so no fight club. I'm sorry but if you don't show some visible signs of unhealthy coping mechanisms we are going to have to let you go because you are a straight up psychopath."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

LeeMajors posted:

I’m going to meet some puppies this morning :3:

I’m also running on 1/2(sleep) after getting my rear end in a top hat turned out 14hrs/day this week at work, then staying up late doing calculus and programming homework.

I need a long long long vacation.

:whatup: fellow little-sleep-haver!

Did a home sleep test (first one in over 10 years) so I couldn't use my regular CPAP. It's impressive how one night without using it really fucks with my day. Even worse is I was using my CPAP Tuesday night and I still had lovely sleep.

I won't be looking at puppies today but I will do a hike at Powell Butte soon with fellow goon Crosshatch as our weekly workout.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Android Apocalypse posted:

:whatup: fellow little-sleep-haver!

Did a home sleep test (first one in over 10 years) so I couldn't use my regular CPAP. It's impressive how one night without using it really fucks with my day. Even worse is I was using my CPAP Tuesday night and I still had lovely sleep.

I won't be looking at puppies today but I will do a hike at Powell Butte soon with fellow goon Crosshatch as our weekly workout.

Luckily in this case, my sleep deprivation is just staying up doing hours of loving homework.

Full time dad and husband. Full time 911 medic. Almost full time student.

It’ll be worth it but it’s silly season right now.

also :hf: OSA buddy

I’ve been using CPAP nightly for over 8yrs and whenever I can’t tolerate it/can’t sleep with it, I am miserable the next day. I can’t believe I lived like that for so long.

I didn’t notice some huge life change immediately by feeling better, but it was apparent at how bad I feel without it.

swickles posted:

It should be the opposite for EMS and some other health care jobs. "Well it says here you don't take any drugs and you claim not to drink. There is no visible bruising, so no fight club. I'm sorry but if you don't show some visible signs of unhealthy coping mechanisms we are going to have to let you go because you are a straight up psychopath."

Absolutely.

There are way more dangerous vices and behaviors for emergency providers than sinking into edible oblivion after work—like being brain damaged enough to choose to do this for a living in the first place.

Thinking back to my 24hr shift days…sleep deprivation is more dangerous than even mild ETOH intoxication for driving. It propagates med errors. All bad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I've only had one job that actually did random drug tests and was only there for about a year but got tested three times. This was a keyboard touching job too

Every other job I've gotten tested on being hired then never again

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like drug tests are the Reagans still affecting our lives from the grave

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Well besides Nancy giving Ghostbuster style hummers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a sexual elk posted:

Well besides Nancy giving Ghostbuster style hummers

I do not like the mental image of Nancy Reagan's face on that ghost Ray dreams of, and if I had the video editing skills I would force you to all have the same experience.

Guess the easier edit would be cutting the Ghostbusters blowjob scene with the Raiders of the Lost Ark scene of them opening the ark.