Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lockback posted:

What does "Later" mean?

Well, 5 minutes of work and then a couple of weeks for Microsoft to validate the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Not news or anything but I booted up Forza Horizon 5 last night and drove around a bit before realizing that the game now offers multiple TAA options: native TAA, FSR 2.2, and Intel XeSS. I assume DLSS is also offered but hidden from me since I have an AMD card.

I ran the benchmark with each of them and think the native TAA is the best (in terms of image quality), with XeSS a close second. FSR 2.2 is, sadly, noticeably worse than either other option. I only used the highest quality option of each.

In terms of performance, FSR 2.2 was easily the best in min, max, and average. Like, equal proportion to how behind it was in image quality. XeSS had a small advantage over native TAA in performance.

I tested in 1440p with every setting (except motion blur and bloom) maxed out on a 7950x3d + 7900xtx + 6000mhz ddr5 ram, all stock with no overclocks. XeSS and native TAA had minimums in the range of 122-124 fps while FSR 2.2 had minimum at 140 fps (going off memory here).

All in all, I'm excited for the improved native TAA in the upcoming Forza Motorsport 8, assuming it will be based on the existing native TAA in FH5.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FH5 offers DLAA too where available so they'll probably do native FSR2 in motorsport now that AMD has blessed that as something they officially support

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
wrap it up paid-for-dlss-mod-ailures

https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/1701977071465988391

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah nvidia just ignored one of the largest releases of the year “because of ai”.

Again, things like allocating non-aligned memory and hinting the wrong thing to the pipeline are such basic mistakes that it signals that nvidia probably has not tuned it at all, game ready branded driver or not.

https://old.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/16et5z6/in_case_you_wanted_to_know_a_few_reasons_on_why/

The boring answer is that the game was in such a shitheap state that Bethesda didn’t give access until late. Which would still be very weird for the vendor with 90% marketshare to not get access. And that begs the question of why.

That reddit post has been making the rounds and people should know it's someone's inference of what the VKD3D developers are saying, but because an API translation layer has to take certain cases into account doesn't mean it's necessarily highlighting a grievous error in the original implementation on the original API. This was the perspective on it from of an Unreal Engine developer:

Epic Developer posted:

Only had a brief chance to look at this but my initial impression is this is the community digging into stuff they don't understand and looking for blood. It is extremely common to have indirect execution with 0 counts/draws because that's how the APIs and hardware work right now. This is how you do GPU-driven rendering. Similarly in the Nanite materials (base pass shading) step there's a lot of indirect draws that end up drawing nothing because the APIs do not allow you to set up sufficient state on the GPU side, so you are forced to set up any *possible* rendering that might happen on the CPU, then zero it out on the GPU if you don't actually need it. Similar things again in GPU instance culling of non-Nanite geometry for virtual shadow maps.

This has been a fundamental limitation of these APIs from day one and everyone (IHVs, OSVs, ISVs, etc) understands it thoroughly. On consoles there are some tricks you can play with fixed hardware but on PC, despite various efforts, the industry has so far been unable to evolve the APIs in a portable way that significantly improves the situation. The linked PR seems that it is an attempt to implement vendor-specific paths in Vulkan using extensions to try and reduce some of the impact. These sorts of optimizations are things that drivers are expected to be doing, but are often behind various heuristics that may need to be adjusted for Starfield (the sorts of things that day 1 driver updates tend to tweak). Even if a performance improvement is demonstrated (which as I understand it, has yet to even happen), these are not things you can do portably in DirectX, or even Vulkan at the API user level. I suspect if this turns out to actually be a decent part of the performance issues NVIDIA will tweak their drivers and life will move on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

they have yet to commit to supporting FSR3 FG despite this being a flagship title for AMD so im gonna go with no on that

Does FSR3 FG actually exist in a form that could be shipped as part of a title? I thought it was still yet to come.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

The paid DLSS mod is a frame gen mod, and I doubt Bethesda will actually add that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

K8.0 posted:

The paid DLSS mod is a frame gen mod, and I doubt Bethesda will actually add that.

Luke’s free mod does FG too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Does FSR3 FG actually exist in a form that could be shipped as part of a title? I thought it was still yet to come.

it's yet to come but AMD did show a list of partners and games intending to ship it, and bethesda/starfield is conspicuously not there

quote:

Forspoken
Immortals of Aveum
Cyberpunk 2077
Space Marine
Frostpunk 2
The Alters
Squad
Starship Troopers: Extermination
Black Myth: Wukong
Crimson Desert
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I have yet to see convincing evidence for the existence of Forspoken players

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There are 10s of them out there

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

it's positively booming

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VostokProgram posted:

im pretty sure they are adding these new techs explicitly to try to get GPU dweebs to try the game and keep it relevant (like what happened for Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Ashes), but it doesnt... seem to be working.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

they have yet to commit to supporting FSR3 FG despite this being a flagship title for AMD so im gonna go with no on that

Funny because it is probably true.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VostokProgram posted:

Immortals of Aveum came out like 3 weeks ago and it's maybe just over 100 players

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The HDR support is more important than DLSS since there's no real way to do that currently.

And 5 bucks for a paid DLSS mod seems reasonable, I could have misread it but think I saw someone saying the guy's making 40 grand a month. Lol pretty cool to be able to make a living from this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

he has 11,000 patreon subs each paying at least 5bux/month

he was hovering around 4k before starfield and almost tripled since it came out lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

$5 is low enough that a lot of people are just going to forget about it lol

Good for him

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm kinda hoping Bethesda does scRGB HDR and then says, "See, this is why we can't do DLSS3 FG!" I want this story to get even more fun.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

have they even stated when they're going to patch all this in.
i think i'm done with my current playthrough, guess it should be ready for my next replay in a couple years

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone else lose a monitor with the latest Nvidia drivers? 3090 here and my m32u via HDMI just completely unrecognized after the install, other monitor fine. You love to not see it.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol that multi-monitor support keeps on getting broken with driver updates
(haven't had any issues personally)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

it's yet to come but AMD did show a list of partners and games intending to ship it, and bethesda/starfield is conspicuously not there

oh, is FSR3 just frame generation? I thought that list was for those doing any FSR+++ implementation and that it was being listed separately elsewhere

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone else lose a monitor with the latest Nvidia drivers? 3090 here and my m32u via HDMI just completely unrecognized after the install, other monitor fine. You love to not see it.

Just updated both machines

Both 3080Tis working fine with their 2 dp displays each.

I even plugged in a 4k tv via HDMI 2.0 as a 3rd

Id reseat the gpu, and make sure my monitor is changing inputs right.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Just updated both machines

Both 3080Tis working fine with their 2 dp displays each.

I even plugged in a 4k tv via HDMI 2.0 as a 3rd

Id reseat the gpu, and make sure my monitor is changing inputs right.

It's definitely seated properly, I'll start unplugging stuff and repligging poo poo in when I'm home tomorrow. Kinda a pita and I hope my fiberoptic HDMI cable isn't unsupported now or something.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Welcome to Nvidia multi-monitor hell buddy :unsmigghh:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Welcome to Nvidia multi-monitor hell buddy :unsmigghh:

I've had Nvidia cards for 20 years and have never had a problem!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

VelociBacon posted:

It's definitely seated properly, I'll start unplugging stuff and repligging poo poo in when I'm home tomorrow. Kinda a pita and I hope my fiberoptic HDMI cable isn't unsupported now or something.

Hmmm, yeah I'd try to replace that and see if it works. A DDU and driver reinstall is probably another easyish thing....

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Just to be sure, there's zero recognition whatsoever? You don't see an unidentified display in the windows display settings or anything? Have you tried pressing win + P and selecting "Extend"?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VelociBacon posted:

On the latest drivers with a 3090 and outputting via both DP and HDMI to a 1440p monitor seems to be working normally. Don't have an m32u to test tho.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

My 1080 made my multi-monitor setup a nightmare (fwiw I think it was a firmware issue that was never patched by Evga). My 4090 isn't as bad. AMD has a much better display engine. Even my work Intel igp is better than the 4090. I feel like this is something that should have been figured out by now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks all, yeah I'll just go back to the previous driver.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just to be sure, there's zero recognition whatsoever? You don't see an unidentified display in the windows display settings or anything? Have you tried pressing win + P and selecting "Extend"?

Yeah it's weird, there's nothing at all. The monitor can tell it's plugged in with no signal but it's like the GPU doesn't know the HDMI is plugged in. I've tried all the normal stuff in the OS with no luck. I haven't unplugged it from the GPU and plugged it back in, or unplugged the other stuff so it's just that m32u plugged in. I'm sure I can figure it out one way or another but wanted to check primarily to see if this was widespread.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I lost a monitor after the driver update but switching to a different HDMI port fixed it

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

VelociBacon posted:

Last year I had a monitor stop working after a nvidia driver update, worked fine on the old ones. Here is what fixed it.

lamentable dustman posted:

I finally figured out how to fix it. Apparently the EDID for the monitor was corrupted and using a program called EDWriter was able to fix it and write a new EDID. With that fixed the monitor works fine with new drivers.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
My 3080 was constantly idling at 1400 MHz with multi-monitor on Windows 10 and then dropped to idling at 200-300 MHz on Windows 11.

"Windows 11 suxx0rz" my rear end.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

My 3080 was constantly idling at 1400 MHz with multi-monitor on Windows 10 and then dropped to idling at 200-300 MHz on Windows 11.

"Windows 11 suxx0rz" my rear end.
The UI changes are undeniably absolute rear end and gently caress whatever project manager tried saving their rear end by forcing changes no one asked for onto the new OS along with the technical improvements under the hood

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Shipon posted:

The UI changes are undeniably absolute rear end and gently caress whatever project manager tried saving their rear end by forcing changes no one asked for onto the new OS along with the technical improvements under the hood

I like windows 11, but I dont like that I lost Xmeters (taskbar based cpu / ram / disk / net usage)

https://entropy6.com/xmeters/

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I didn't have a problem with multi-monitor until about 6 months ago when VRR stopped working in games running borderless windowed (it's fine fullscreen but that's annoying with three monitors)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I reinstalled the same driver and it now works normally. Alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

VelociBacon posted:

I reinstalled the same driver and it now works normally. Alright.

computers, everyone!