Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

King Vidiot posted:

On the subject of f2p, it'd be hilarious if Unity makes an exemption for f2p, and then developers respond by making their singleplayer game "f2p" but you have to pay the actual price of the game to unlock it. Unity gets nothing since the game was already installed.

The whole point of this is almost certainly to squeeze money out of F2P devs while sidestepping forcing revenue numbers out of them. Essentially, they want to be able to go to the devs of Genshin Impact and say "you owe us $X million, based on your install base". Indie devs are just getting caught in the crossfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

No Wave posted:

But even if you do that you've still made freemium an impossible model and freemium phone games are a huge industry and it's totally destroyed for no reason.

Gotta say you're talking me into supporting it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Orv posted:

Siege, For Honor, the 2D Assasssin’s Creeds, that robot climbing game, Greek Zelda (help names are hard.) They do plenty of different stuff. They’re also one of the only big companies that have those tent pole games that actually change things people hate from game to game.

greek zelda aka "immortals: fenyx rising" is definitely an ubisoft openworld map-icon-em-up
fun though

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ubisoft openworld map-icon-em-up

Ooooh so THATS why Ubisoft games have iconic gear!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Volte posted:

"Initial installation" presumably only means "initial installation on one computer"
"initial installation on one computer" is what they walked it back to

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

credburn posted:

I beat Biomutant today.

What an aggressively mediocre game.

:sigh:

Yeah, I was really excited for this one to even be just okay, but it couldn't even manage that much.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Jossar posted:

:sigh:

Yeah, I was really excited for this one to even be just okay, but it couldn't even manage that much.

It sure was pretty, though!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Harvestella is on 50% sale (base price hasn't dropped at all so basically what it should be listed for now). Do we think it's likely to go at least as low for the Black Friday and Christmas sales? I doubt I'll play it before then.

RBA Starblade posted:

If you've never played Halo at all, Halo 1 or Reach are still very good and fun jumping in points. Halo 3 is amazing too. All of them but 4 really play very well but the plot won't make sense if you care. Play them co-op if you can.

4 still sucks a good bit but multi's alright.

I agree with all of this.

Unity has lost it's mind. Nobody making new games is going to use their platform.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

LLSix posted:

Harvestella is on 50% sale (base price hasn't dropped at all so basically what it should be listed for now). Do we think it's likely to go at least as low for the Black Friday and Christmas sales? I doubt I'll play it before then.

isthereanydeal.com says that it was 50% off for the summer sale so you're probably safe

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Hopefully once Microsoft fully consumes Activision, we start seeing real sales on their CoD games. Currently only $511 to purchase all the CoD games!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Volte posted:

They can't just allow devs to delete games from peoples' libraries that they already paid for. I'm almost certain that would be illegal in a lot of places. It would also be a lovely rear end-covering move even if I would sympathize with the dev's plight. If I paid $40 for a game, it's not okay for the dev to take it away from me without compensation so that they don't have to pay a few cents when I install it.
While there are dozens of hosed up things about Unity's proposal and the way they presented it, this one particular scenario is not an issue. The payout threshold is based both on all time installs AND a rolling 12 month revenue target. As long as your game hasn't made 200k in the past 12 months, you're off the hook. So just delisting the game is enough, and probably isn't necessary in most cases.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kazil posted:

isthereanydeal.com says that it was 50% off for the summer sale so you're probably safe

Thank you!

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

greek zelda aka "immortals: fenyx rising" is definitely an ubisoft openworld map-icon-em-up
fun though

I mean yeah it has a map with icons on it but it's doing a lot of different stuff from every other Ubi open world game at pretty much every level aside from that. I don't think it was an incredible game and as a BotW taker-oner it wasn't particularly there but it did a lot of fun stuff with puzzles, story and even a little bit with the exploration that they don't do in their other titles.

Of course it sold about five copies so RIP.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wandering Sword devs finally revealed the cost. Comes out tomorrow for $25. Has a 12% first week discount dropping it to $22. Definitely checking it out at that price.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LLSix posted:

Unity has lost it's mind. Nobody making new games is going to use their platform.
Yeah, this is absolutely a quick cash grab where they just try to get some fat paychecks on those retroactive installs from the real big names and they don't actually give a poo poo about whether anyone's still actively using their engine when the dust clears. It's all so the executives and shareholders can get themselves one last big payday before bailing out of the sinking ship they put the hole in.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I liked Immortals (never finished it though) and I thought some of the stuff it aped from BotW was actually done better. The rifts or whatever they were called, the shrine analogues, were much more interesting, and the combat is better. It was only very superficially similar though. It's more of an Assassin's Creed-lite puzzle playground.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

especially since Wildlands later had three non-looter crossovers: Rainbow 6 Siege, Splinter Cell, and the actual loving Predator
Breakpoint had Splinter Cell, Siege and Ghost Recon/Mitchell return, then cross-overed with Terminator (which at least kinda fits in with the theme), Plant A Tree and Tomb Raider???

Ubi really had no idea what the gently caress they were doing with Breakpoint.
They hired Rodney Mullen to voice Not-Steve Jobs.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I enjoyed the immortals game but it was never going to dig ubisoft out of the skull and bones hole

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
So I'm currently playing some games to get those Fallout 4/Deus Ex/VTMB vibes, but to make it interesting, I'm reaching deep into the jank drawer with Stalker Call of Pripyat and EYE Divine Cybermancy and Brigand Oaxaca. I've done a bit of taste tasting with all of these and they are all quite interesting and endearing in their own special ways, but I am curious on other's impressions of these to see if some of these choices are more fulfilling and worthy of investment than others, if their juice is worth the squeeze, so to speak. For example, while EYE is giving me serious proto-Cruelty Squad vibes (wouldn't be surprised if it was a direct inspiration), I can't make heads or tails of the story and I don't know if the gameplay will hold up beyond its initial meme appeal, so maybe it would be best to quit while I'm ahead.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You won't be able to make sense of E.Y.E.'s story/world so its easier to not even try. If you're going to stick with it I would definitely make sure you can use 444 Bear Killer pistol, since it has Armor Piercing. There are (later) enemies that are almost unkillable without it. The TRK A.D and Hunting Machine rifles also have Armor Piercing, but they're less flexible in usage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EYE's plot isn't that obtuse really but it's unfortunately paired up with a pretty poor translation which is what actually makes it difficult to understand what's going on.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

FutureCop posted:

So I'm currently playing some games to get those Fallout 4/Deus Ex/VTMB vibes, but to make it interesting, I'm reaching deep into the jank drawer with Stalker Call of Pripyat and EYE Divine Cybermancy and Brigand Oaxaca. I've done a bit of taste tasting with all of these and they are all quite interesting and endearing in their own special ways, but I am curious on other's impressions of these to see if some of these choices are more fulfilling and worthy of investment than others, if their juice is worth the squeeze, so to speak. For example, while EYE is giving me serious proto-Cruelty Squad vibes (wouldn't be surprised if it was a direct inspiration), I can't make heads or tails of the story and I don't know if the gameplay will hold up beyond its initial meme appeal, so maybe it would be best to quit while I'm ahead.

If Call of Pripyat is your first foray into the STALKER games, it's definitely the easiest to get into but it still takes a few hours to click. Give it time and take things slow otherwise you'll die to random anomalies or enemies if you rush in too much. Once it clicks though, the atmosphere is insane and I still haven't really felt immersion like it. Might be worth popping into the STALKER thread and finding out what QOL mods are around for it these days too. Most people say you can play COP vanilla but I haven't played it for like 8 years so things might have changed.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
You have gained brozouf.

EYE is a wild ride, but a fun one. All I'll say is that the true "ending" requires multiple playthroughs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like EYE but to get the most out of the story you really need to wring the hell out of the lore objects as well as engage in metaphysical dialogue with a werewolf on mars.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
plus there's also some stuff in the game itself

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

credburn posted:

It sure was pretty, though!

colorful and nice design, but technical disappointing too, especially the fur shader was very outdated given that even sea creatures where fluffy and so it constantly showed it's limits as a viable approach for different fur types

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Continuing the drama. Even if it "won't impact 90%+ of our customers", I just fundamentally don't understand their position.
Should the company that produced my winter coat pay the company the manufactured the zipper every time I put the coat on?

Like regardless of the install/income requirements for the fees to kick in, what is the justification for it. Why can't they just charge more for the dev license in the first place?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
their position is “we need to make this happen because our CEO throws a screaming tantrum whenever someone contradicts him”

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If it doesn't impact 90%, why bother with even trying to do something like this that will piss off everyone?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

If it doesn't impact 90%, why bother with even trying to do something like this that will piss off everyone?

Because they want a lot of money from that top 10%.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Logiart Grimoire launched in early access yesterday: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2492390/Logiart_Grimoire/

It's a new picross/nonogram game by the studio that has been making them for Nintendo devices for more than 2 decades. You unlock new puzzles by ranking up (= completing X amount of puzzles) and by "fusion". That basically involves combining the pictures of earlier puzzles to create new ones. The hints for these fusion puzzles have been pretty easy thus far. There are also a handful of puzzles that are created if you happen to mess up a fusion (they look like simple doodles).

Monkee + brain = human, me smart!

Right now it just has mouse controls and so it's not ready for the Steam Deck yet. They are working on it though, alongside interface improvements (first patch added a quit to desktop button, progress!). I don't know how I feel about them asking the community to point out spelling mistakes and such. There is the occasional bit of grammar that makes me think they are better off just hiring an editor to review all the descriptions and rewrite them where needed.

Outside of a single 20x15 puzzle, I haven't unlocked anything bigger than 15x15 yet, but I imagine I've seen 1/5 of its puzzles at best. If you're not that familiar with picross there are 2 tutorials and 3 assist options: one that auto-corrects boxes you filled incorrectly, a "roulette" that reveals a single row and column of boxes at the beginning, and the blue highlight that shows you which rows and columns have boxes you could figure out. The game keeps track of which ones you used to solve a puzzle or if there was no assist.

The latter assist is nice if you want to knock out a puzzle in a couple of minutes without getting those situations where you're kinda stuck for a while.

Been knocking out a chunk of these. Still good picrosses, but the fusion thing gets a little tedious. The list of answers you can use keeps growing and growing with each puzzle, but I'm using stuff like 'iron' and 'fire' again and again.

Also, looking at the stuff I haven't unlocked yet, it shows the size of each puzzle. I see a few 30x30 and one 40x30, which is probably going to turn out easy if it's the only one of its kind, but still sounds intimidating.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Even if it doesn't affect 90% of people using unity the fact that it 1) is going to affect existing games and 2) could suddenly start affecting people when they cross the threshold seems pretty problematic.

Also I love how they keep making the rules about what counts as an install more complicated in response to people pointing out issues, and it's like .... how is anyone supposed to keep track of that and is the burden of proving that installs don't count on Unity or on the developer? Because just keeping track of all that poo poo sounds like a nightmare.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

With the sheer amount of games made on Unity, the games people buy that end up being popular are gonna fall in the top ten percent.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah a huge percentage of games are probably making $0 so just saying x% won't be affected may not be that meaningful

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

99% of twitch streamers have sub 100 viewers and thus if Twitch adopted policy that would have hosed over every commercially viable streamer on Twitch they could still say that their policy won't affect 99% streamers using their platform. I assume Unity is using similar metric to spin similar "point".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mystes posted:

Even if it doesn't affect 90% of people using unity the fact that it 1) is going to affect existing games and 2) could suddenly start affecting people when they cross the threshold seems pretty problematic.

Also I love how they keep making the rules about what counts as an install more complicated in response to people pointing out issues, and it's like .... how is anyone supposed to keep track of that and is the burden of proving that installs don't count on Unity or on the developer? Because just keeping track of all that poo poo sounds like a nightmare.

Also "We'll work with devs if they suspect botnet/malicious false installs etc" feels like Insurance Company style code for,"You can complain and we'll pretend to review your claim before telling you that you have to pay us money."

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
most devkit installs are probably students/hobbists

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

On the subject of f2p, it'd be hilarious if Unity makes an exemption for f2p, and then developers respond by making their singleplayer game "f2p" but you have to pay the actual price of the game to unlock it. Unity gets nothing since the game was already installed.

Bring back shareware!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Special Offer: Buy this $20 Steam sticker and we'll throw in a free game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know why they didn't just copy the royalty model for the unreal engine (5% of revenue for the game over the first $1 million) but they must have realized that no unity games make more than $1 million

It's funny because the unreal engine royalty could probably theoretically end up being more more for a high enough budget game that makes enough money but it's just a way more reasonable way to do it and it's probably much easier for both epic games and the developer to just work that out on a case by case basis when a game somehow actually makes $1 million (because at that point the developer is obviously going to have proper accounting) rather than trying to keep track of literally every install of every indie game

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 14, 2023