Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hey so I got the game early!

Here's some fancy intro dialogues for Mileena cause everyone likes those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yaKm8AJ5Yc

enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

It's sort of interesting that MK11 Scorpion is the first boss of the invasions mode. Apparently the only way that Liu Kang could ensure Scorpion's wife Harumi's survival was to make sure she and Scorpion never met in the first place.

... wow, Liu Kang, way to find the one path literally worse than her dying tragically. "Don't worry Hanzo! It's good, see? She's alive but wants nothing to do with you and your children never existed!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ImpAtom posted:

... wow, Liu Kang, way to find the one path literally worse than her dying tragically. "Don't worry Hanzo! It's good, see? She's alive but wants nothing to do with you and your children never existed!"

It might've been the only path that was available.

Put another way, even the God of Fire and Keeper of Time is unable to fix the core issue, which is that Hanzo's the problem. Maybe Scorpion oughtta go find the one timeline where he sells aluminum siding in Topeka, how about that.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

enjoy

drat that is a loving cool Reiko alt outfit/helmet.

I hope it's easy to turbo-unlock the classic sub-zero/scorpion outfits. I miss the hooded look for them + they really had their best outfits in the last few games. I realize though that I have no idea what the outfit/skin/costume parts deal is gonna be with this game though---is it more piecemeal stuff to unlock and put on characters like Injustice 2, or will it be more like MK11's "you choose a skin and then 3 pieces of gear?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

It might've been the only path that was available.

Put another way, even the God of Fire and Keeper of Time is unable to fix the core issue, which is that Hanzo's the problem. Maybe Scorpion oughtta go find the one timeline where he sells aluminum siding in Topeka, how about that.

I am just saying that if I am a horrifying specter of Vengeance And Anger and I discover that someone erased my children from existence I would be a bit miffed.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ImpAtom posted:

I am just saying that if I am a horrifying specter of Vengeance And Anger and I discover that someone erased my children from existence I would be a bit miffed.

You ever think that maybe Liu Kang did this just to make sure Hanzo stays a spirit of vengeance? But instead of the Lin Kuei, Hanzo now hunts the Shaolin monks.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Vakal posted:

Since this is a WB game, they should have took the nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor for Reiko, so every time get gets killed he comes back a little stronger.

Isn't this literally Geras' whole thing in MK11?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Evil Canadian posted:

enjoy

I like how Havik's is also the one-liner during his reveal trailer.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMhRTGPKq78

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I bet Havik could do a mean goatse haha what if

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Gear slot: wedding ring

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
TBH the only DLC character in the first batch that I'd even want to play is Takeda. So I may hold off on the full KP and just get him when the game comes out.

I still kinda think this roster is weird. I won't even say bad, just weird. Like, Ashrah's on it but Sonya isn't. That's weird. Gameplay looks like so much fun, though, and I bet just about everyone has some crazy dirt that'll be fun to exploit.

I watched the leaked story mode. I expected it to be poo poo - NRS stories are always a loving mess. But I came out of it honestly confused as to what the writers were even trying to accomplish. The villains from the new timeline really don't have enough initiative or power to be a threat on their own (and why would they - Liu Kang would have to be an idiot to let them become as powerful as they were in his own timeline). Subsequently the villain has to be imported from the previous story DLC, and he's the one who sets everything in motion.

Not much gets a chance to breathe or stand on its own. The first scene with the non-Titan Shang Tsung is kind of illustrative of how the game means to go on, because a lot of these backstories don't get the chance to develop into stories, they're just there as one off conceits. "What if Shang Tsung were a down-on-his-luck snake oil salesman?" is a cute little notion.
But the only thing it sets up is for his dark self to go up to him and be all like "Hey, looks like you're not enjoying being a down-on-his-luck snake oil salesman. Have you tried stopping?"

And to be honest, a lot of the new backstories just add up to a shrug for me. "What if Scorpion were Kuai Liang instead? Wouldn't that be different?" And I guess it is, though by the end of the game he still ends up in a family blood feud with Sub-Zero, leading the Shirai Ryu against the rival Lin Kuei. Which kinda sounds an awful lot like the old Scorpion, with the only difference being that he got there in a new, somewhat more boring way. And that's not even accounting for the characters who are almost literally the loving same, like Johnny (or Reiko, who in this timeline as in all others remains the WWE wrestler whose gimmick is "Loser Fuckface Nerd"). The only character I would call an unalloyed, unqualified improvement is Reptile. And really, the only idea they had there was "hey, what if we made his design more like how he is in the movie and came up with a backstory to explain that?"

The game's desire to reboot the storyline gets swallowed up by its desire to be a direct sequel to MK11: Aftermath, which in turn gets muddled by its equally apparent desire to speedrun the stories of Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon all in the same game. It's a dog diarrhea mess, and the fact that they've already pressed the Multiverse Button one game into their Bold New Era really doesn't inspire confidence that this writing team has a rich vein of new ideas to tap into.

It's kind of weird, because the gameplay seems so much livelier than anything NRS has released since MK9, but this specific aspect - a story mode that you'll spend maybe three hours playing - makes it feel like the series is a tired relic circling the drain and bereft of ideas. I wish they'd be more like Street Fighter and just not bother with this anymore.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 14, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
...but Street Fighter also just launched with a big single player story mode.

Like, story modes move copies. They're not going to stop.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Blockhouse posted:

...but Street Fighter also just launched with a big single player story mode.

Like, story modes move copies. They're not going to stop.

Counterpoint: NRS stories make my brain yell and I don't like them. I would rather they brought back the kart racing minigame.

SF6's story mode places significantly less emphasis on being a cinematic story with great dramatic import. It feels more like an extra gameplay mode for developing my created character, rather than a bad movie interrupted by fights against the computer. It's also more fun and cartoonish, and doesn't expect you to take it THAT seriously.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If you don't like them then why did you watch the story mode

Is this a "surely this time putting my finger in the socket won't shock me" thing

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EorayMel posted:

The final character is Cyber Shang Tsung

Cyber Shang Tsung as a T-1000 style robot shapeshifter

Gavok posted:

When we finally get Street Fighter X Mortal Kombat, playing Sindel vs. Necalli comes with a possibility of the two of them getting tangled up mid-fight.

I will only accept this in the form of Street Fighter: The Movie vs. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Blockhouse posted:

If you don't like them then why did you watch the story mode

Is this a "surely this time putting my finger in the socket won't shock me" thing

Some of the past ones were FUN bad, at least. I'd say the story operated on this level as recently as MKX, but is increasingly starting to suck in a way that is more boring and confusing than fun.

It is also usually required to play through story mode to unlock certain characters for the part of the game that I'll actually spend the most time playing, so I have to care about this regardless.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 14, 2023

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

McSpanky posted:

Cyber Shang Tsung as a T-1000 style robot shapeshifter

I will only accept this in the form of Street Fighter: The Movie vs. Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

I love how Mortal Kombat Annihilation is the opposite of almost every bad movie I've ever seen. Not that it's good, it's rear end, but most bad movies are inert. Nothing much happens in them, because the filmmakers lack the budget/means/creativity to make interesting things happen. In MK: Annihilation there are so MANY things happening they don't have time to explain a single one of them! There's a scene where Jax is wandering through a desert with Sonya, literally begging her to explain the plot to him, and she just flatly refuses.

A splendid movie to watch while drunk.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sonya voice actress was so bad she got booted out of the next game.

honestly kind of relieved jax/jacqi/sonya/cassie aren't in this one as the image of characters doing fatalities do their kids just seemed like a bridge too far in the gore department. Granted we're getting Takeda anyway so ah well.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

sonya voice actress was so bad she got booted out of the next game.

honestly kind of relieved jax/jacqi/sonya/cassie aren't in this one as the image of characters doing fatalities do their kids just seemed like a bridge too far in the gore department. Granted we're getting Takeda anyway so ah well.

I mean, Sindel, Kitana, and Mileena are in this game too.

The invasion Mode ending is also up on Youtube and :lmao: that the only timeline Liu Kang could find that could make old Hanzo happy was the one where his wife became Scorpion instead.

Honestly hope they make Harumi a playable character at some point. She comes up here and also in Kuai Liang and Smoke's arcane endings.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 14, 2023

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
I do wish we'd gotten a new character in this New Era. Even if only of the seen-or-mentioned-but-not-playable variety. Like, Kharon is out there whackin' folks with a big ol' oar.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fighting game stories are badass

E: Arcade endings are cooler though.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
No crossplay at launch is a decision i guess you could make for a fighting game in 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Dpulex posted:

No crossplay at launch is a decision i guess you could make for a fighting game in 2023

I personally blame Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and Steam

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

An inconvenience for sure but I support Ed Boon standing his ground until the console platforms officially change it to Krossplay.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Gavok posted:

They played him up as a big mystery and in the arcade/N64 endings, he just ran through a portal and that was it. The PS and DC endings showed him putting on Kahn's mask, which was supposed to insinuate that he was secretly Shao Kahn all along. The Game Boy Color ending was more blatant about it. The problem was that he had zero similarities to Kahn at all, so the twist felt off.

Later, they just said that Reiko was a separate character who enjoyed sneaking into Kahn's throne room and putting on the mask when he wasn't around.

Wasnt he in conquest too along with shao at the same time? If i recall, that was around the when mk4 had just come out

God i miss klassic mk rumour type poo poo. The 24th slot in mk1 is currently one of them, who could it be????? noob, cybersmoke... or just a dlc slot/ kreate a karacter????

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The button currently does nothing, so if it was meant to be a random button (or anything else) it's currently not functioning. It's likely it just opens the store page when those are live, because I'm pretty sure every other game has just changed up the roster screen to accommodate the DLC.

Its a chatacter called Violent Kobra, it unlocks on the tree stage after 500 flawless victory versus fights with no blocking. A witch will appear in the mouth of the tree if you do this, if you have a penny celotaped to your ps5 (console exclusive) violent kobra will unlock and hes got everyone but ermacs move set and does big damage!!! this is true me mate told me i saw it

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Its a chatacter called Violent Kobra, it unlocks on the tree stage after 500 flawless victory versus fights with no blocking. A witch will appear in the mouth of the tree if you do this, if you have a penny celotaped to your ps5 (console exclusive) violent kobra will unlock and hes got everyone but ermacs move set and does big damage!!! this is true me mate told me i saw it

I've messaged Ed and this is correct

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dpulex posted:

Crossplay is only really essential for smaller games with a low player population, and if you gently caress it up then it ruins the experience for everybody, so if they need the time to make sure it'll work before they add it then I'd rather they wait.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't mind and am in fact requesting spoilers: all these decades later and we still don't have another mention, let alone explanation, of who or what the gently caress the Furies are, do we?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm not sure but I think SonicFox is one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

maruhkati posted:

Counterpoint: NRS stories make my brain yell and I don't like them. I would rather they brought back the kart racing minigame.

SF6's story mode places significantly less emphasis on being a cinematic story with great dramatic import. It feels more like an extra gameplay mode for developing my created character, rather than a bad movie interrupted by fights against the computer. It's also more fun and cartoonish, and doesn't expect you to take it THAT seriously.
lmao, you're out of your loving mind.

I was so hype when they said SF6 would have a story mode. And so crushed when it turned out to be a immeasurably boring pile of loving poo poo. Running around getting dragged into fights against cardboard boxhead motherfuckers every 30 seconds, a thousand garbage fetch quests, and some dragged out horseshit about a some moron becoming a suicide bomber, woop.

Get tae gently caress. I'll take Ed's fever dream kung fu movie shtick over it anyday.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
The point of MK stories, at least since Armageddon, haven't been to be good stories in any way. They were to see how many sharks they could jump at a time.

Armageddon: Edenian Demi Gods of Prophecy
MKvDC: Superman punches Scorpion through a Sky Scraper!
MK9: Raiden gets visions of the future, somehow fucks up more
MKX: What if MK4, but its been 20 years? Also Green God poo poo!
MK11: That time stuff from MK9 ruled, lets do that all over the place.
MK1: We did so much time poo poo that everything is hosed!

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
I think it owns that they marketed mk1 as a reboot standalone but then the story mode requires you to have played and understood mk9-11 story mode and put in 500 hours each to the ps2 games and thus the og arcade story to understand what is going on in mk1

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MK is essentially an ongoing professional wrestling storyline. The plot trappings are simply there to facilitate unlikely alliances and heel turns, nobody really cares about the continuity from game to game.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Unbound posted:

The point of MK stories, at least since Armageddon, haven't been to be good stories in any way. They were to see how many sharks they could jump at a time.

Armageddon: Edenian Demi Gods of Prophecy
MKvDC: Superman punches Scorpion through a Sky Scraper!
MK9: Raiden gets visions of the future, somehow fucks up more
MKX: What if MK4, but its been 20 years? Also Green God poo poo!
MK11: That time stuff from MK9 ruled, lets do that all over the place.
MK1: We did so much time poo poo that everything is hosed!

It rules, god i cant wait til i get home

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Funniest part of story mode:

Quan Chi starts out as a fairly dark skinned person of color but then he gets jumpscared by a spooky ghost and goes “aaah” and turns white as a sheet but then he just, um, stays that way forever

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mover posted:

Quan Chi starts out as a fairly dark skinned person of color but then he gets jumpscared by a spooky ghost and goes “aaah” and turns white as a sheet but then he just, um, stays that way forever

I also liked the part where they try to sneak Quan Chi's unconscious body through a parade, and when he starts to wake up, Johnny and Kung Lao just kind of shrug and start beating his rear end in the middle of the street. Quan Chi has a pretty rough time in this game.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Mover posted:

I have to know if the effect looks as bad as it did before the day one patch. Is it like flicking a switch on his melanin still?

TGLT fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As a gigantic refresher, here's a big guide I wrote on the entire Mortal Kombat story up to this point.

I'll have to jump into MK1's story mode after work today.