Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Oldest Man posted:

The problem with stealth in the case of the f35 is that it was used as a rationale why the homer car of tactical aircraft would not be a piece of poo poo even with its many, many design shortcomings and out of control price inflation: because stealth would make it invincible so it was fine that it had inadequate performance, insufficient weapons, etc. Now that's kind of going/gone by the wayside and you see less about how stealth makes the F35 worth it and more some handwavey bullshit about sensor or network fusion making the F35 worth it because of those secret and/or intangible benefits outweighing all the very real problems.

That's because stealth is sold as a feature at this point. The US is never going to have a non-stealth aircraft again. The new shiny is the ~full battlespace~ integrated systems because they let defense contractors sell an entire suite of electronics to every service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Complications posted:

That's because stealth is sold as a feature at this point. The US is never going to have a non-stealth aircraft again. The new shiny is the ~full battlespace~ integrated systems because they let defense contractors sell an entire suite of electronics to every service.

hell, we paid extra for "stealth" coast guard cutters:

quote:

https://www.sldinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/National-Security-Cutter-Special-Report.pdf

Commander Ramassini: Another aspect of the impact of speed and endurance on operations can be seen in how long we are able to operate between port calls. Because of the efficiencies the ship offers, we have greater endurance and don’t need to make port calls as frequently. And this helps us increase our operational security and provide persistent presence where we expect the smugglers to eventually be.

By not making a port call as often, the adversary doesn’t know where we’re located. And the longer we stay out, the less opportunity they have to figure out our location in an effort to avoid us. Every time we make a port call, word travels fast in today’s information age, and our location is compromised. This ship is rarely constrained by fuel
and can operate comfortably for nearly thirty days and even loiter for forty-plus with fuel in reserve. I joke that the ZZ Top song “She’s Got Legs” sums up the NSC capabilities well; and everyday the Coast Guard is finding better ways to use them to support national strategies.

Another aspect of the impact of the ship on operations is our relatively low cross section. The older cutters have a big cross section, and are clearly visible on the radars of their targets of interest. With the design of this ship, when you are looking at the radar from a distance, we look like a fishing boat. That coupled with the use of the FLIR allows us to operate in a much stealthier manner over the horizon before sending our teams up close and personal over the gunwale.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The thing about "stealth" is that it was used over and over as a rebuttal whenever someone asked "why are we spending big bucks on a clear turkey?". Because stealth, duh. Don't question it! Having a better radar cross section under select conditions absolutely compensates for negative dot points one through twenty.

Does it have a utility? Of course. But so do things like genuinely mission capable ships that don't dissolve in water (unless that mission is shore bombardment of a primitive tribal island people who only have spears and darts) and modern planes that can outfly a museum piece gloster meteor.

edit-To say nothing of the built in excessively high upkeep costs designed to extract maximum yield on the back end.

edit2 -when the economy shits the bed in a big way those material upkeep costs are going to really start to matter, even if the effects will take a while to show.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 08:16 on Sep 13, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

rusty rear end f35s with backfiring afterburners and styrofoam missiles

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
planes that are so good, we don't rare risk using them :downs:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
But have you considered that the Nighthawk looks awesome? There’s a reason everyone loved it in 90’s pop culture and that’s because it looks like a badass spaceship that can shoots lasers at Klingons instead of some boring ole’ jet plane like all the current aircraft like the F35/J20/Su57. All other factors are irrelevant.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

But have you considered that the Nighthawk looks awesome? There’s a reason everyone loved it in 90’s pop culture and that’s because it looks like a badass spaceship that can shoots lasers at Klingons instead of some boring ole’ jet plane like all the current aircraft like the F35/J20/Su57. All other factors are irrelevant.

X-29 was the best looking fighter of all time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If this is the twilight of the American Empire, I just wish they’d have some charm and dignity, you know?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I was reading a recommended book on the Solomons campaign and the total loss of Japanese planes from Dec. 1941 - Summer 1942 was around 1,200 planes. And that was an air force that had air superiority and was fighting against mostly obsolete airframes. Anyway, that gigantic operational loss total in a peer conflict is what I think about when I see that the air force has 200 F-22s or whatever

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

If this is the twilight of the American Empire, I just wish they’d have some charm and dignity, you know?

american troops singing cumtown parody songs about having a small dick and being gay while they march would be pretty good

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

I was reading a recommended book on the Solomons campaign and the total loss of Japanese planes from Dec. 1941 - Summer 1942 was around 1,200 planes. And that was an air force that had air superiority and was fighting against mostly obsolete airframes. Anyway, that gigantic operational loss total in a peer conflict is what I think about when I see that the air force has 200 F-22s or whatever

The stealth means missiles will never lock on- A Lockheed executive

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tatankatonk posted:

Yeah the dream is a video game hero experience where they shoot down a hundred each of the enemy, competing for high scores in the officers mess.

Regrettably reality and dreams have this rather nasty disconnect that takes some people by surprise.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
China Might Have 250 J-20 Stealth Fighters

This is another one of those, "China is lagging behind" articles where when you read it, you realize China most certainly is not lagging despite the author insisting they are.

China has scaled up production of the J-20 to about 200 a year. The author concedes this is more than the US' F-22 fleet, but only because the US doesn't produce the F-22 anymore. If they still did, they would have 750!

And yes, the author continues, China is producing double the number of J-20s vs. the amount of F-35s America is building per year. However, dear readers, the US has a fleet of 500 F-35s! Double the number of J-20s China has right now, so China is lagging behind.

Ignore that if these production numbers are true. The J-20 and F-35 fleets will be at equal numbers in three years.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OhFunny posted:

This is another one of those, "China is lagging behind" articles where when you read it, you realize China most certainly is not lagging despite the author insisting they are.

China has scaled up production of the J-20 to about 200 a year. The author concedes this is more than the US' F-22 fleet, but only because the US doesn't produce the F-22 anymore. If they still did, they would have 750!

And yes, the author continues, China is producing double the number of J-20s vs. the amount of F-35s America is building per year. However, dear readers, the US has a fleet of 500 F-35s! Double the number of J-20s China has right now, so China is lagging behind.

Ignore that if these production numbers are true. The J-20 and F-35 fleets will be at equal numbers in three years.

I would have won that athletics carnival race if I wore my shoes, if I slept last night, if I didn't jerk off 5 minutes before the race, if I didn't have a bee sting, if mom packed my right lunch, if I

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
"If we ignore these past 15 years, none of us have really aged very much"

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
also the ‘missing their target’ this year for f35s is the software thing that was posted here previously:

https://www.flightglobal.com/fixed-...%205G%20speeds.

whereby they haven’t shipped any f35s since July and likely won’t until April 24 at least.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Look, the USA does not protect its hegemony by manufacturing objects

The USA protects its hegemony by ensuring that its wealthiest 10% of households never experience discomfort, inconvenience, or interruption in their procurement of treats

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Only having 200 modern fighters in your entire global air force is fine if you plan to go nuclear after losing more than 50

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Only having 200 modern fighters in your entire global air force is fine if you plan to go nuclear after losing more than 50

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OhFunny posted:

Does this article really say "200 J20 per year". I don't see it.

But if China can really outbuild the US 80-100 fighters per year somebody is going to lose their poo poo.

Also China probably building more J20 now because they finally switched to home grown engines.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does this article really say "200 J20 per year". I don't see it.

But if China can really outbuild the US 80-100 fighters per year somebody is going to lose their poo poo.

Also China probably building more J20 now because they finally switched to home grown engines.

Impossible, jet engines are magic and China can never make them, not with their weak iintellectual potential!

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Sep 14, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i doubt the j20s have the advanced "helmet that snaps the pilot's neck" technology of the f35.
though hell if they cost $110M/jet maybe china has truly taken strides towards the hi-tech neoliberal bloat/graft mode of production

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think if China is really building 200 J20 a year and building like 10 054B frigates and what 4-5 055 cruiser a year then there is a real time table somewhere in Xi's office. I am not going to say what it is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think if China is really building 200 J20 a year and building like 10 054B frigates and what 4-5 055 cruiser a year then there is a real time table somewhere in Xi's office. I am not going to say what it is.

It's almost like the war material is... breeding. Replicating itself like metal animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReHOMJLY03E

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

china imports like 70% of its oil so they're probably building up their navy/jets to be able to fill in for the collapse of the us more than anything else. if there was something impeding oil coming in from the middle east, that'd be bad news for china. so they gotta be able to keep singapore open
jesus i guess that means day one of china war the us is probably mining the gently caress out of the east end of the singapore strait

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China is also building a 2nd gas pipeline from Russia (same size as Nordstream2) and pushing really hard for EV cars.

I just think if US didn't bother to actually impose sanctions on Russia oil smuggling, are they really going to block any potential oil shipping?

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the us can't stop russia from shipping oil to countries that don't have to comply with their silly sanctions. and if they tried to do it by force that's probably the apocalypse. same with china.
I don't think there will be an actual us-china direct war in the near future but i could definitely see the us cooking up a pretext to invade singapore in order to pressure china when the us is a little closer to collapse. a little quick search shows russia's total exports are $110b while china imports almost $300b of oil per year so even if russia sold china all their oil, china still needs a whole lotta oil which is primarily coming on boats from the middle east through singapore. maybe the boats could go around? or china could finish up their pipeline through the stans/xinjian.
but pipelines are also really vulnerable because they have to have pumping stations periodically and sometimes they go along bridges or they have to be above ground due to permafrost. and apparently there's a bunch of permafrost in the himalayas/western china, which makes sense

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The 2nd pipeline will go through Mongolia, which shouldn't be any technical problem because China already have experience building 1 around Manchuria/Dongbei and another from one of the Stans to Xinjiang.

If China can wait 10-20 years, they can build that fabled Thailand canal which will cut out the entire Singapore Malacca Strait. The China backed standard gauged continental SEA railway is also not ready, they have the Laos section done, the Thailand section probably will be built in 3-4 years. Given the non-pro US party forming government in Thailand, the railway building probably will be expedited.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hatebag posted:

the us can't stop russia from shipping oil to countries that don't have to comply with their silly sanctions. and if they tried to do it by force that's probably the apocalypse. same with china.
I don't think there will be an actual us-china direct war in the near future but i could definitely see the us cooking up a pretext to invade singapore in order to pressure china when the us is a little closer to collapse. a little quick search shows russia's total exports are $110b while china imports almost $300b of oil per year so even if russia sold china all their oil, china still needs a whole lotta oil which is primarily coming on boats from the middle east through singapore. maybe the boats could go around? or china could finish up their pipeline through the stans/xinjian.
but pipelines are also really vulnerable because they have to have pumping stations periodically and sometimes they go along bridges or they have to be above ground due to permafrost. and apparently there's a bunch of permafrost in the himalayas/western china, which makes sense

You just build redundancy in terms of pipelines. Otherwise, the US navy just isn't big enough, especially now to enforce its will across Asia.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

right now, though, singapore is a choke point for chinese oil imports. hopefully china can build some defensible redundancy for imports before the us moves against them because russia doesn't have the capacity to supply china on its own

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

DancingShade posted:

Yeah the dream is a video game hero experience where they shoot down a hundred each of the enemy, competing for high scores in the officers mess.

Regrettably reality and dreams have this rather nasty disconnect that takes some people by surprise.

It's especially bizarre since, for the much vaunted stealth to be any use at all, they have to carry only the weapons which they can fit in the internal bays, which I believe are two (2) missiles, and even if PLAAF fighters were as inferior as they imagine, and were making the aerial equivalent of human wave attacks, and even assuming every US missile hit and killed a target, they'd still be hosed. American propeller planes killed German jets with superior numbers, it baffles me that they think that have a greater qualitative edge than that.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pomeroy posted:

It's especially bizarre since, for the much vaunted stealth to be any use at all, they have to carry only the weapons which they can fit in the internal bays, which I believe are two (2) missiles, and even if PLAAF fighters were as inferior as they imagine, and were making the aerial equivalent of human wave attacks, and even assuming every US missile hit and killed a target, they'd still be hosed. American propeller planes killed German jets with superior numbers, it baffles me that they think that have a greater qualitative edge than that.

F22s can carry 6 AMRAAMs in the centerline bay and 2 sidewinders in the die bays, so realistically that's 6 shots and then 2 backups if they go to the merge which is an incredibly bad idea. But you're unlikely to get a kill with each missile so even in the best case scenario where the air force has the space and time and exploit the stealth fully, you're probably only getting one or two kills per F22 per sortie and that's just not enough.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Hatebag posted:

right now, though, singapore is a choke point for chinese oil imports. hopefully china can build some defensible redundancy for imports before the us moves against them because russia doesn't have the capacity to supply china on its own

Right now, but the it very may come down to just an expansion of pipelines toward Iran (and therefore connecting much of the Middle East). It really isn't undoable, and probably why such an extreme move by the US is probably not seriously on the table especially since it would screw up much of their own trade.

I don't think the US is going to collapse in a real sense in the near future either, it is just going to sink a deep and deeper mire ala the UK.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

The 2nd pipeline will go through Mongolia, which shouldn't be any technical problem because China already have experience building 1 around Manchuria/Dongbei and another from one of the Stans to Xinjiang.

If China can wait 10-20 years, they can build that fabled Thailand canal which will cut out the entire Singapore Malacca Strait. The China backed standard gauged continental SEA railway is also not ready, they have the Laos section done, the Thailand section probably will be built in 3-4 years. Given the non-pro US party forming government in Thailand, the railway building probably will be expedited.

I thought the new Thai government was pro-US/anti-China.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

I thought the new Thai government was pro-US/anti-China.

Nah the liberal guy (Pita) couldn't get enough seats to form a government, so the 2nd largest party (Thaksin's party) formed a new government with the previous military government's party and some small parties (obviously with the blessing of the King.)

So think of it as everybody but the libs coalition.

BTW Thaksin's lineage can trace back to Guangdong China.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China's gonna Panama Canal the Malayan peninsula to sidestep Singapore as a chokepoint

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

China's gonna Panama Canal the Malayan peninsula to sidestep Singapore as a chokepoint

and im gonna watch videos about its construction on tiktok

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

I swear to God, if we end up trying to create some sort of "Malay Barrier" this "Singapore Strategy" hinges on, Sandhurst delenda est.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i don't know that a canal would actually benefit china that much in this scenario because if the us was blockading singapore they could just as easily blockade the andaman sea/malacca strait from oil tankers because that's only about 200 miles across assuming a canal from krabi to surat thani or points southeast based on elevation. i think you'd have a rough time building a useful canal north of there due to the mountains and all the volcanic islands near the kra buri river. pipelines are probably china's most secure option which is what they've been building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good News for USA’s dependence on Taiwan:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/09/tsmcs-arizona-fab-will-ship-chips-to-taiwan-for-packaging-employees-say/

quote:

A new report has revealed that America may be quickly approaching a major roadblock in its bid to become a global chips leader by the end of the decade. Employees of the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC)—which is leagues ahead of competitors in mass production of advanced chips— told The Information that TSMC has no plans to build a packaging facility in the US.

This likely means that thousands of chips that will eventually be manufactured at a $40 billion fab in Arizona—which is scheduled to be operational in 2025—will ultimately still have to be shipped to Taiwan for packaging. That's a problem, since President Joe Biden introduced the CHIPS and Science Act to reduce US reliance on Taiwan facilities amid China's ongoing threats to invade and possibly take over Taiwan. It would almost seem to defeat the point of building fabs in the US if the US-made chips still ultimately need to be packaged and shipped back from overseas.

But a chief analyst for a semiconductor research firm called SemiAnalysis, Dylan Patel, told The Information that the "TSMC Arizona fab is effectively a paperweight," unable to boost America's advanced chips supplies without first sending a ton of chips "back to Taiwan."