Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Upgrade posted:

How is the mom making almost a million dollars a year in passive income?

One weird trick this mom DOESN’t want you to know about

(probably real estate or a massive trust)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah “passive income” means some kind of recurring investment returns, and living off it means it involves several million dollars of principal

So either she came from a rich family or is a landlord

Death by guillotine

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Captain Hygiene posted:

The weirdest thing about that story is how blase the guy is about the room, as if it's just something you can expect to find occasionally when you move to a new place. I'd be in full on :wtf: mode until I figured out what was up with that.

My first thought was a makeshift SCIF. It's sometimes enough to just have a windowless, soundproof room with a lock on the door if you want to work from home and get it approved. Previous homeowner could've worked on a Confidential project or something.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

wheatpuppy posted:

Waaay back when the Duggars first started appearing on TLC documentaries, there was a show where they visited some other family with 14 kids. The two moms got together and compared all the things they loved about being pregnant and it was deeply uncomfortable to watch. So yeah, if you have more than a dozen kids I would say there is a nonzero chance it is a fetish.

It's always either a fetish, an addiction, or brainwashing.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Pomme de Terror posted:

Went and checked (original post has been deleted) and OP posted these responses in the comments

This is pretty good but I had visions of an elaborately arranged charcuterie board, maybe some bubbly in a silver ice bucket

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Feel like it should be pretty easy to just switch out the lock for one that locks on the inside. Then you don't risk locking yourself in and dying in your hide the disabled people away 1960s style dungeon. The relationship is toast, so w/e about that, but it's a pretty major hazard to have that if you live alone.

Yeah, all else aside it’s wild that he’s okay with having that safety hazard in his house. I guess there’s Internet down there and he probably has his phone with him all the time so he could figure that if he gets locked in he’ll just call for help, but still.

The food flap is also weird. Maybe after he changes the lock he can tape a poster onto the door.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

haveblue posted:

Yeah “passive income” means some kind of recurring investment returns, and living off it means it involves several million dollars of principal

So either she came from a rich family or is a landlord

Death by guillotine

I've got some in laws in a similar situation. Whole pile of kids, some adopted and some biological, including three siblings adopted as a unit from Ukraine (way pre war) because they didn't want to leave anyone behind. He does something tech related and had a previous consultancy he sold, and she's published some very successful homeschool curricula and other books.
Getting a whole pile of passive income is always difficult, but it's not impossible, especially when you're a really driven crazy person with specific goals.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Khanstant posted:

What is even the drive to have a large family if you can't support it? Just some people got an overactive procreation setting or just the worst power tripping, maybe an unquenchable desire to forge a family performing act?

Most of human history and a bunch of major religious texts value women primarily as mothers, among other reasons to strip them of their own motivations and goals, and this is still the social norm in some environments. Without other channels for actualizing themselves, some women growing up in repressive environments have internalized this as an identity.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Most of human history and a bunch of major religious texts value women primarily as mothers, among other reasons to strip them of their own motivations and goals, and this is still the social norm in some environments. Without other channels for actualizing themselves, some women growing up in repressive environments have internalized this as an identity.

well yea but what about the good parts

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

well yea but what about the good parts

I guess the most positive take on it is that humans are only a few centuries removed from surviving without a massive birth rate. For most of human history until about 1500, the population growth rate was approximately zero - social systems encouraging more births were arguably a necessity. It was only a sharp drop in the death rate recently that has resulted in exponential human population growth, and while birth rates have trended down behind them there's a lag when it comes to updating complex social systems. Most long-term forecasts assume a return to approximately zero population growth and reality shows with 14 child families are just conservative flailing against inevitable change.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gawr Gooner posted:

My first thought was a makeshift SCIF. It's sometimes enough to just have a windowless, soundproof room with a lock on the door if you want to work from home and get it approved. Previous homeowner could've worked on a Confidential project or something.
You do not need an outside lock on your secure Top Secret room. You need an inside lock. You also should not expect to be fed through the door.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my SIL exactly what having a big family would mean for her?

quote:

We make a high 6 figure income combined, and are debt free, as well as owning our house outright (relevant).

This just reminds me of a Bad With Money thread post from a while back where the reddit poster said they made "mid 6 figures" and the thread tried to figure out what they meant by that until they mentioned in the reddit comments that it was 150k.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

This just reminds me of a Bad With Money thread post from a while back where the reddit poster said they made "mid 6 figures" and the thread tried to figure out what they meant by that until they mentioned in the reddit comments that it was 150k.

It's a whole other discussion but it's really weird what people mean when they describe different levels of "6 figures." I see here she means 300k.

She said her husband makes 300k. That's more than enough to live anywhere, without her passive income that's stated at "high 6 figures."

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Nocheez posted:

She said her husband makes 300k. That's more than enough to live anywhere, without her passive income that's stated at "high 6 figures."

Yeah I re-read and edited quickly. My first random point still stands!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Hah! I'm sitting in an airport halfway through a 4 hour layover. I have nothing better to do then pick nits!

Jk, I think we all would live life differently if we had what was considered an incredible sum to spend and no work to do. I don't know that my choices would include more children, but I have a toddler and no one with a toddler wants more children.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
We’ve already had this discussion “mid 6 figgies” is 105.5 or 316,227 dollars.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I regret marrying my husband. I should have listened to my mother.

quote:

i just want to provide some context. my husband has been married previously, and have existing 2 young kids below the age of 10 (wonderful children! i treat them as my own even). however, the ex wife hasn’t been particularly great to me, and has caused us many issues throughout the course of our relationship. they are still residing together in the same house but in different bedrooms for the sake of co-parenting. she doesn’t even know that he is married to me (as per lawyers’ advice to him, it’s best to not reveal this information as it may trigger her and cause her to disagree with the existing co-parenting plan, which is that the kids primarily reside with my husband other than the weekend).

i just found out i was pregnant 2 days ago, and waiting for my first prenatal appointment at 7 weeks in october and was extremely excited to start this chapter in my life. my husband and i agreed that we would hold off from telling anyone until we hit 3months, so as to have everything stable so i haven’t even told my own parents who already disapprove of my husband. i already feel so incredibly sad and depressed, i get to see my husband once a week at most, he’s staying with his ex wife, he won’t tell his ex wife about our marriage (because he thinks that she will not let the kids move out with him if he does) and i just feel so loving alone. i feel like i have nobody to turn to, and i feel so miserable going through all of this alone. we will move in together in our new home in november, and i’ll be 3 months by then. by the time the children live with us i’ll be 4 months - and he’s telling me that his lawyers advised that the ex wife who hates me, should be allowed in our home to check out the house. i understand it’s because of co-parenting but i already feel so miserable as is. the ex wife literally told me that if i ever get pregnant with his child, i should remember my place and that i’ll never come before her and her kids. i just don’t want to be in this position and i feel so lost. my mother TOLD me that this would be exactly the problem, and i defended him again and again and told her this is what i wanted. i completely hosed over my relationship with my parents for a guy who doesn’t even prioritise me or our marriage. and now i am pregnant with his child, that he wanted so badly, and i’m still not a priority.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evil Willow posted:

she doesn’t even know that he is married to me

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

No, you see, his lawyer said he has to keep it a secret. For reasons.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Dear god even *I* want to scream “ABOOOOORT!” at this lady. RUN, RUN FAR, RUN FAST!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

At least in The Billionaire Sheiks Secret Bride the guy was a billionaire sheik

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tell me you're the side chick etc. etc.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pomme de Terror posted:

Went and checked (original post has been deleted) and OP posted these responses in the comments

That's actually not that weird, hiking takes a lot of energy. I've brought weirder stuff and they weren't even planned picnics.

These weren't all the same trip, and some were at backcountry campsites where we could set up a stove and cook, but I've brought:

- A box of half a dozen cupcakes, with sprinkles
- A jar of nutella and a bunch of bananas
- 2L bottle of Coke zero (for sharing)
- A bottle of Everclear and a few boxes of Crystal Lite (also sharing)
- Bottles of ketchup and relish, a bag of fried onions, hot dogs and buns
- Party sized bags of chips
- A bottle of champagne

We also used to use a vodka bottle to store our camp fuel in because we thought it would be funny for people to think we were putting kodka into our alcohol stove. We were very careful to keep it hidden and also drew a giant skull and crossbones on it with the words FUEL DO NOT DRINK underneath.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We drew a fun pirate symbol on our poison vodka bottle

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

I regret marrying my husband.

Well, good news!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my SIL exactly what having a big family would mean for her?

At the very least this woman understands that she can only afford to have a big family because of an incredibly priviledged situation? One of our politicians has unironically said that every woman can have a job and a big family, her nanny and cook take wonderful care of her six children.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Evil Willow posted:

I regret marrying my husband. I should have listened to my mother.

I know this is a minor thing compared to how ridiculous the overall story is, but keeping the marriage secret from this guy's "ex" has to mean keeping it secret from his children, right? You'd think it would be a red flag to OP that this man is supposedly such a devoted father that he can barely see her, but he's somehow still cool with not having his kids at his wedding.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

deety posted:

I know this is a minor thing compared to how ridiculous the overall story is, but keeping the marriage secret from this guy's "ex" has to mean keeping it secret from his children, right? You'd think it would be a red flag to OP that this man is supposedly such a devoted father that he can barely see her, but he's somehow still cool with not having his kids at his wedding.

That confused me because she says she treats his kids well which implies they’ve met. Is the dad getting the kids to go along with the deception?

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You do not need an outside lock on your secure Top Secret room. You need an inside lock. You also should not expect to be fed through the door.

maybe I skipped the part of the post when he said it was a literal prison cell door.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Arsenic Lupin posted:

People are asking me questions about the food flap already answered by the outside lock.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Pirate Radar posted:

That confused me because she says she treats his kids well which implies they’ve met. Is the dad getting the kids to go along with the deception?

I'm guessing everyone knows about the relationship, it's just the marriage that's secret?

OP updated to say she's getting an abortion. So at least she's come to her senses.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm trying to think of the composer whose impresario would lock him in a room to make sure he'd finish writing his operas.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Elissimpark posted:

I'm trying to think of the composer whose impresario would lock him in a room to make sure he'd finish writing his operas.

There's an equivalent story with Douglas Adams, books he contracted to write and received the advance for, and his agent.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for turning around and going back to my parents with my baby when I got home because my husband let his homeless brother move in and everyone had lice.

quote:

I recently went to see my parents with my newborn. It was just for the long weekend so my husband stayed home with our three older children. 7/5/3.

My husband called me when I was out of town to let me know his brother needed a place to crash. I said that he should give him a ride to a shelter or something because it was a bad idea to let his brother in our home. He has stolen from us before.

When I got home there were five very itchy people in the house. I immediately got back in my car and went to my parents house. My husband was calling me the whole time because he needed help dealing with the lice. I didn't call him back until the baby was settled back in at my folk's place.

I told him the pharmacy had the shampoo and comb for lice. He said he needed me to come home and take care of it. I noped. I said that he let his brother in our home against my wishes. His brother gave them all lice. I also reminded him that when our oldest got lice from kindergarten he didn't help me at all.

I hate lice. They freak me out. I dealt with it because I had to. This time it's on him. He said that he would have to use up his sick days to take care of this. I said tough poo poo.

He did it. He took his brother to a shelter, he deloused himself and the kids, and then he spent three days cleaning all the bedding and the furniture. He called me every day begging for help. I did not come home until his mothe confirmed that everything was done.

He is pissed that I stuck him with all that by himself. I know I should have helped but it was too much. I'm still not 100% from the baby. It was just too much.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"Stay out of my home, brother in law, you thieving carrier of lice."
"I come bearing gifts!"
"Aww."
"It's lice."
"Goddammit"

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

That's actually not that weird, hiking takes a lot of energy. I've brought weirder stuff and they weren't even planned picnics.

These weren't all the same trip, and some were at backcountry campsites where we could set up a stove and cook, but I've brought:

- A box of half a dozen cupcakes, with sprinkles
- A jar of nutella and a bunch of bananas
- 2L bottle of Coke zero (for sharing)
- A bottle of Everclear and a few boxes of Crystal Lite (also sharing)
- Bottles of ketchup and relish, a bag of fried onions, hot dogs and buns
- Party sized bags of chips
- A bottle of champagne

We also used to use a vodka bottle to store our camp fuel in because we thought it would be funny for people to think we were putting kodka into our alcohol stove. We were very careful to keep it hidden and also drew a giant skull and crossbones on it with the words FUEL DO NOT DRINK underneath.

That's why I wondered what the food was cos I can smash through a lot of calorie dense snack food over the course of a hike but the way OP worded it was really weird, like a full sit down dinner lol

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

wheatpuppy posted:

When I was house-hunting about 12 years ago, I was taken aback by the nicely-restored Victorian that had a heavily-insulated freestanding room in the middle of the basement with a freezer-type locking latch on the outside of the door. Inside the room had plain white tile walls, a single wooden chair, and a floor drain.

By the third house with an externally-locking basement room with a floor drain, I just came to understand that there are undercurrents of small-town South Dakota that I cannot comprehend.

Lotta civic-minded werewolves in South Dakota, obviously.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Girlfriend says I can’t be seen with her or post pictures of her due to FERPA. Is this true?

quote:

My girlfriend (F20) told me (M19) Monday morning that I can no longer be seen with her around school, and that her and I can’t post pictures of us together because it violates a thing called FERPA. The reason for this is because of her position as a student worker that works around academic documents of students and it would be a “conflict of interest” according to her Human Resources department. Is this true? Can she really be barred from having a relationship with another student because of her position? My parents say she’s lying and a good friend of mine and hers tells me that she always tells them she feels really bad about the situation.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man

Runcible Cat posted:

Lotta civic-minded werewolves in South Dakota, obviously.

A lot of us are just real done with Kristi Noem's poo poo, and if she happens to vanish into somebody's basement dungeon forever...well, thems the breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pirate Radar posted:

Girlfriend says I can’t be seen with her or post pictures of her due to FERPA. Is this true?

F