Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

uh, you guys do understand the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, right?

I think you know they don't or don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its the electrical kind not the cancer kind your balls are ok

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Posting here for Verizon promotions:

Upgrades: if you are on a premium data plan, and it’s a XR or newer it’s a $800 trade in.

New lines: if you do unlimited plus you can get $800, or $1000 if it’s the unlimited ultra. Verizon is literally taking any trade in iPhone 3G or newer as long as the battery is not overheating. $800 for all with the plus plan.

All promos are on 36 month payment plans to get the full credit. The phone is locked for 60 days, auto unlocked on day 61.

I am going to a show so not around much tonight, but I work all day tomorrow and of course all day Friday. If Anyone has any questions or needs help ordering PM me, post here or the Verizon thread.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Verizon business give me a drat deal :argh:

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Its the electrical kind not the cancer kind your balls are ok

mah ballz

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Verizon business give me a drat deal :argh:

They probably? Have similar deals. Don’t know unfortunately.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

They probably? Have similar deals. Don’t know unfortunately.

I’m gonna call on Friday but from previous years they kinda don’t do anything till a bit after launch.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I was down on the Action Button but I just realised that now we'll be able to toggle Rotation Lock like an old iPad.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So if you choose another action for the action button other than silent mode, will the silent mode toggle just be in the swipe down Control Center menu?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

No, they're right and you'd need to check the math to see if it makes sense monetarily. If you have a carrier promo discount, your options are basically: trade in the phone to carrier, losing the promo and not getting a new one (but not owing anything on the old phone), pay off the balance and trade in to carrier (or Apple, but they are offering less) for their discount, or trade in the phone to Apple without paying the balance and having to continue "paying" whatever to the carrier *plus* whatever it is to Apple after the trade-in discount. I can see cases where the third one makes more sense than either of the first two (particularly the first one).

Essentially if your balance was more than what you'd pay to Apple after the discount, it would make sense to trade in your promo credited phone to Apple.

Huh, interesting. Wouldn’t you have to deregister the phone you’re trading in and register the new phone though? Would that not trigger whatever clause the carrier has for making you lose your bill credit?

I guess it shouldn’t. It’d be hosed if you lost the phone and that meant losing your credit, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I don’t believe it lol

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If I never installed a beta but I want to get ios17 RC installed now, do I want to select the “developer beta” or the “public beta”?

Or does it not matter since they’ll both be the RC now?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

If I never installed a beta but I want to get ios17 RC installed now, do I want to select the “developer beta” or the “public beta”?

Developer beta

e: lol

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 14, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

You can install either.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

OldSenileGuy posted:

Public

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So if you choose another action for the action button other than silent mode, will the silent mode toggle just be in the swipe down Control Center menu?

This is what I need to know also. If it's silent OR other actions, I'm out.

I hope it's silent with a specific long press sequence and action with another.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Dave2D on YouTube said you can only set it to one action. You have to long press to initiate the action. If you just press it, it will show you what action is assigned and tell you to long press to initiate it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Wow, that's a terrible implementation. :smith:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Probably shoulda just added a completely new button and left the slider

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hatty posted:

Yep. Put the button on the right bottom like a shutter button.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

hatty posted:

I think Apple is completely done with physical switches and buttons. They're trying to get rid of anything that actually moves to keep repairs down, right?

Definitely getting a 15pro Friday but still can't decide if I want to stay with a 256gb phone and keep relying on iCloud to offload photos, or if I should pony up for a 512 and have everything on device.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 14, 2023

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I tried the share name and photo set up on IOS. When I texted my wife after setting it up, it sent the message to her as just my number and not my contact information that she had saved. I deleted the set up but it is still showing my texts and calls as my number and not my stuff with my wife’s contact of me.

It seems like this would be useful if I was talking to someone new and I needed to give them my info but this has it set up for contacts only.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I assumed it was short press for mute and long press for something else but apparently it’s only ling press.

Gonna be pissed if the iPhone 16 Pro has that capability and it doesn’t get rolled out in an iOS update.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

hatty posted:

or just put the action on the power button.

i tap the power button on my s23 ultra to wake/sleep, i hold it to turn off (this itself is customized away from holding power and volume down together) and i double tap to turn on the flashlight (also custom).

ACTION BUTTON seems like reaching for Pro features, and it looks woefully limited

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I guess I'm in the minority here, because I think the implementation is great!

I'll be setting my phone to always be in silent mode, and using the Action Button to turn on the camera from lock / act as a shutter. There's been so many times where I've missed a shot because swiping from the lock screen didn't work for some reason, or trying to long press on the camera button resulted in launching the lock screen configurator (really the worst design choice for customized lock screens). Now I'll be able to start holding the button as I take it out of my pocket and (hopefully) it'll be ready to go once it's in position.

I don't want to have it accidentally be taking pictures in my pocket so having to hold it is exactly what I want, too.

I also love that you can run an arbitrary Shortcut on it; that's something that there's no excuse for it not to do, but Apple has definitely made ridiculous constraints like that in the past.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Soul Glo posted:

ACTION BUTTON seems like reaching for Pro features, and it looks woefully limited
Seems extremely like how you used to be able to assign accessibility shortcuts to the home button (and TBH, still can for the side button and back tap)

E: which you mentioned in your post lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They don’t even need to artificially create exclusive Pro features. Just make it look slightly different and people will automatically buy it to show off.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just like sliders, still mad they got rid of the rotation lock slider on the iPads

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Having it as a dedicated torch button is useful, I always find the weird hold and press method on the lockscreen is kind of fiddly if you have your hands full. Just having it on a button would be much more handy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So if StandBy didn't work for me the past month+ I've been beta testing iOS 17 and it's not working for me now on the RC, is it just not going to work for me at all? :smith:

Despite being in landscape mode on a charge stand, my phone acts like it hasn't rotated and StandBy doesn't appear. The phone charges totally fine, but no StandBy. I've turned the feature off and back on in Settings, restarted my phone, etc. but no dice.

I submitted this in the Feedback app a while back but it's never been resolved.

Maybe it's the charge stand that's the issue? But like I said, it's having no trouble charging the phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can't wait to get rid of the useless switch for a useful button thanks Tim!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
In 2012 I jailbroke my iPhone and made double clicking the power button turn on the flash and it was super convenient. Come on Tim.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
So it turns out that the new UBC C airpod pros have lossless wireless bundled in, which audio people have been waiting for.

Apple went out of their way to avoid talking about it.

From this we can infer that the current iphone can't do it, on purpose, but they'll sure as poo poo make it a premier feature on the iphone 16 babyyyy!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Looking at the AirPod pro page right now, what are the 2 silver button/ports on the side of the case? I have the originals AirPod pro and it doesn’t have the silver thing on the side.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Boris Galerkin posted:

Looking at the AirPod pro page right now, what are the 2 silver button/ports on the side of the case? I have the originals AirPod pro and it doesn’t have the silver thing on the side.

I think you’re talking about the lanyard holes

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Taima posted:

So it turns out that the new UBC C airpod pros have lossless wireless bundled in, which audio people have been waiting for.

Apple went out of their way to avoid talking about it.

From this we can infer that the current iphone can't do it, on purpose, but they'll sure as poo poo make it a premier feature on the iphone 16 babyyyy!

Did they release new airpods pro this week? Think I missed that, assumed it was the older version that had USB C

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Did they release new airpods pro this week? Think I missed that, assumed it was the older version that had USB C

They mentioned AirPod Pros would now have usb c and I think that was really the extent of the announcement

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

The story that's developing is very strange.

Apple clearly wanted people to think that the main difference was just the USB C.

But then it came out that it has a whole new audio platform? Lossless 20 bit high quality audio. This is a big deal. Audio-focused people have been wondering since the first Airpods were released, when we would receive a standard that enabled high quality playback.

But, for whatever reason, they are framing the technology to only work with the Apple Vision Pro (the 3k headset)? That makes zero sense though; this codec will clearly work with the iphone too.

By far the most likely scenario is that Apple wanted to reserve lossless audio for the next iphone. It can't be overstated how scummy that would be, but there's not many ways to interpret the whole thing.

The most charitable interpretation is that the iphone 15 will support lossless playback too but they're not ready to announce it yet. The whole thing is just bizarre though.

Make no mistake though, if you care about audio quality, it would be incredibly foolish to buy anything but the USB C Airpod Pros right now. For that reason, maybe they just wanted to sell through the existing stock before making it a big deal? I don't know. Usually when a company hides features like this, it's for reasons that are ultimately not great for the consumer. The only question is if they are being just a little shady or really shady.

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/12/new-airpods-pro-features/

The new case is also upgraded with full dust resistance.

They didn't really talk about any of this which begs the question of why, because there is definitely a reason; there was very little to talk about at this event. And they go out of their way to avoid mentioning that the Airpod Pros do lossless audio?!? lol

It's possible that they can only get the lossless audio to work via extremely short distances (hence only working with the Vision Pro, being inches from each other mounted on the head) but drat. I hope that's not the case because that's brutally niche. But it could explain why they were so hesitant to talk about it too.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 14, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I could've sworn the airpod pros 2 that were released a year or so ago had USB C. Apple a bit of a mess right now

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

rafikki posted:

I think you’re talking about the lanyard holes

Oh. I don’t think I’d trust putting my case on a lanyard and wearing it around my neck or whatever. Seems too easy for the case to open and the AirPods to fall out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I could've sworn the airpod pros 2 that were released a year or so ago had USB C. Apple a bit of a mess right now

They did not. It would make zero sense to do so as the wireless ecosystem was 100% lightning.

Now that the iPhone is USB C, they can also make the Airpods USB C as well. Right now though, as far as I know the only USB C Airpods are the Pro 2, which kinda makes sense; only the new model has the new connector, so they need to support both for at least a few years.

You can also now connect a USB C cable between your iphone and your airpods and charge the airpods from your phone.

Taima fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 14, 2023