Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DC Murderverse posted:

They should bump anyone who got tickets to Eras to the back of the line imo

They're all millennials, $500 for a Taylor Swift ticket was their entire life savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Has someone posted about Baby Queen before? I might have at some point but I really love her song Dream Girl.
Check her out if you can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtpHChp1Yko

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Janelle Monae is a performer with a capital P and that P also stands for about 3 other words

Edit: god they are so cool just complete command of the stage the whole night, hit some classics and a lot of the good stuff from Age of Pleasure, perfectly synthesizing the two primary messages of their discography: “oppressed people should band together and destroy the rich and powerful” and “girls are very sexy”

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 15, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Is Hayley Williams always like this? Or is it a one off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRA6xocqmow

Because she broke a lot of what stand for rules of modern pop (although were more common previously) with this track and I think maybe sunk a chance a hit and instead made something really cool.

It's no Joanna Newsom's Peach, Plum, Pear but I really really like Roses/Lotus/Violet/Iris.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 19, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hayley Williams' solo album had a lot of more eclectic material, I liked it a lot. Very introspective songwriting and the vocal performance is unreal as usual. Pure Love might be my favorite thing she's ever done.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lol I got a code for the Rodrigo tour and of course it goes on sale the day before I get paid, at a time when I will be relying on mobile internet

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah Petals for Armor which that song is off is a really great album. I think it flew under the radar, a bit at the time (although the stream numbers are respectable). I like her follow up Flowers for Vases as well, but it's much more acoustic and folkier so YMMV.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Lol I got a code for the Rodrigo tour and of course it goes on sale the day before I get paid, at a time when I will be relying on mobile internet

I didn’t even realize she added more dates.

quote:

Due to incredible fan demand, Olivia Rodrigo has added 10 new North America dates on her GUTS world tour.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

Janelle Monae is a performer with a capital P and that P also stands for about 3 other words

Edit: god they are so cool just complete command of the stage the whole night, hit some classics and a lot of the good stuff from Age of Pleasure, perfectly synthesizing the two primary messages of their discography: “oppressed people should band together and destroy the rich and powerful” and “girls are very sexy”

Heck yes we got GA tickets for Thursday and I'm so loving pumped

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Let’s go!!

https://x.com/PopCrave/status/1704463630857597020?s=20

The 5th vault track is unknown

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 20, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I haven’t even heard it yet but I can assure you that Taylor absolutely should have put “Slut!” on the original release of 1989

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPNR-_Cfn0

Chappell is leaning even further into 80s vibes

I don't frequent NMD but popped into this thread earlier and browsed the last few pages as I was looking for some new artists.

I've listened to most of her songs now and every one has been a perfect piece of pop. Thread delivers.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Because I can't enjoy new things without referencing what is already familiar...

You're telling me Ke$ha's sister got stuck in a timewarp, and she decided to make a song that's her take on Lana Del Rey style Americana? And Spike Jonze got caught in the same warp and decided to direct her video thinking 'I'll do some of the stuff I did for Jay-Z in Otis but with a dash of Lady Gaga'?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I don't frequent NMD but popped into this thread earlier and browsed the last few pages as I was looking for some new artists.

I've listened to most of her songs now and every one has been a perfect piece of pop. Thread delivers.

I’m super pumped she’s opening for Olivia on the first leg of the Guts tour, I’d much rather see her than PinkPantheress (whose music I like but who doesn’t strike me as a great performer) or Remi Wolf (who rules but I already saw open for Lorde)

Obviously it would be cool to see The Breeders but we can’t all be fancy people who live in LA/NYC

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

You're in luck because her album drops on the 22nd

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjLcVqjIkLo

It's very funny that after Rush's video got slammed for a lack of body diversity that this one has one fat person who was blatantly shot separately and hastily edited in in post

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

Hayley Williams' solo album had a lot of more eclectic material, I liked it a lot. Very introspective songwriting and the vocal performance is unreal as usual. Pure Love might be my favorite thing she's ever done.

I listened to her Tiny Dsk i.e. packed room in her home during quarantine. Instantly fell for her as a 'solo' act based on who she had with her (e.g. Julian Baker getting to just play an instrument), even though I'm not Paramore's key demographic by either my age or general tastes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

TurnipFritter posted:

You're in luck because her album drops on the 22nd

Update: this album fucks hard

It’s like someone turned a cabaret act into a pop girl album full of bangers; I can’t remember the last time there was a pop album this genuinely funny. Feels like it’s made to play at every queer bar in the county. At least one song that seems destined to end up in dozens of drag acts.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

At least one song that seems destined to end up in dozens of drag acts.

looks like that specific one got a MV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWLai0XoZmg

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

its good

edit: get it hot like papa john

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I didn’t want to jinx it until I knew I got tickets but hell yeah gonna go see Olivia and Chappell (and Giannis Antetokounmpo) in Milwaukee

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That reminds me, is the waitlist for these tour preorders a real thing or is it just a nicer way of saying you lost?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

smackfu posted:

That reminds me, is the waitlist for these tour preorders a real thing or is it just a nicer way of saying you lost?

I assumed that was the case but then this morning I got an email saying since I was on the waitlist I got a chance at the second round of sales. I got a floor seat for just under $200 (before fees of course) which will still end up being less than I paid for my last minute ticket to see Sour Tour

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
is all the discussion about Scarlet happening in the rap thread or do people just not like this as much as Hot Pink or Planet Her

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I don’t think anyone in either thread have been huge Doja Cat fans in a minute. All the songs she’s released for this one have been pretty meh

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She's more interesting as a personality than as an artist at this point, she's just doing the same thing over and over musically.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Should’ve released Say So and retired as champion.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

I don’t think anyone in either thread have been huge Doja Cat fans in a minute. All the songs she’s released for this one have been pretty meh

I liked Kiss Me More. Although I didn't like how much sex and language can be found in pop songs of the past few years. It's almost as boring as the opposite.

e: You already said "we make love" you don't have to be explicit in that's it's you two "loving". I do not care if you do it gently or rough I really don't. And yes we all got it kissing here refers not only to actual kissing but also to oral sex. No need to explain twice (or was it three times? def. more than once) that you want him to go down on you more.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 23, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was thinking this last night, going all out on the "YO I ENJOY loving" angle in music rarely comes across as actually sexy. It only works (to me at least) when it's all implications, even if those are extremely obvious ones, or understands that it's funny to be this blunt. Stuff like Doja and honestly Kim Petras too just comes across as being unabashedly horny and slutty but not in a way that actually makes it sound fun.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Well then you're in luck because from what I've heard of Scarlet so far it's mostly just her being mad. Like, there's minimal pop sexiness on this. No Dr. Luke production (thank the loving lord), no guest verses. The production's mostly done by guys like Earl On The Track and Jay Versace, rap guys. Hell, the closing track has her stealing the beat from Gunna's "Fukumean"!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Junpei posted:

is all the discussion about Scarlet happening in the rap thread or do people just not like this as much as Hot Pink or Planet Her

no one is talking about it in the rap thread, fun 90s ish rap album though. Demons was the worst song

Junpei posted:

Well then you're in luck because from what I've heard of Scarlet so far it's mostly just her being mad. Like, there's minimal pop sexiness on this. No Dr. Luke production (thank the loving lord), no guest verses. The production's mostly done by guys like Earl On The Track and Jay Versace, rap guys. Hell, the closing track has her stealing the beat from Gunna's "Fukumean"!

QP QP skiiii

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Popheads: You bubblegum chewers, easy listeners, radio addicts, Top40s, Swifties, Billie stans, pop punks, punk poppers, and the incognito session brigade: Hear me now:

Go check out the "Introverted power ballads" Spotify playlist. Maybe not on Spotify. But you can run through the previews before deciding if you want to add it to your service of choice. It's fit for purpose out of the gate even if you might want to get rid of a song or two.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this chappell roan album is really good. sounds like it came out in about 2015 but thats also about when i stopped evolving my music taste so it works for me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Wallsocket” by underscores is an extremely good album

https://youtu.be/u6BajlmkcQc

https://youtu.be/my4rg3ZNl5c

https://youtu.be/ymdpfe3mZCw

https://youtu.be/fG7foCO6wfc

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEvYrH5EA9k

idk if the Empress Of/Rina Sawayama joint was already out but I dig it

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

I haven't stopped listening to this since last Friday. This is a great album. Highly recommend it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lol just bought tickets to see Chappell in Chicago next week looks like I’m all in on this one

edit: amazing that of the 5 shows I’m going to in 2023, the CRJ one is going to be the least queer

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 26, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjLcVqjIkLo

Troye Sivan, unfortunately, fell into the Lazy Sample Club, with this one using Shooting Stars by Bag Raiders

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New Slayyyter album is phenomenal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

New Slayyyter album is phenomenal

Giving me Kim Petras vibes but better.