Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that dude was poison for Texas sports franchises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cowboys should trade Dak to the jets. They are desperate

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gonna find out real quick if our run defense has improved at all

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

davecrazy posted:

Didn’t a decent Cowboys team get absolutely shredded by a trash Jets team a few years back?

Stranger things have happened, like dogshit Washington beating the Eagles last year

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jerry Jones (allegedly) being racist…

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jim-trotter-lawsuits-attributes-alleged-racist-remark-to-jerry-jones

quote:

Beginning at paragraph 110 of the civil complaint, Trotter explains that, in the aftermath of Jon Gruden’s departure from the Raiders in October 2021 after the release of various inappropriate emails, Trotter planned to share on NFL NOW a racist statement that allegedly had been made by Jones to Trotter at the 2021 Pro Football Hall of Fame Game between the Steelers and the Cowboys. (The complaint inadvertently uses the year 2020; the HOF game was postponed in 2020 due to COVID.)

Trotter, while on the field before the game, was congregating with other reporters. Here’s what the complaint alleges, in paragraph 113: “At one point, Mr. Trotter was speaking to Will McClay, the Cowboy’s Vice President of Player Personnel, about the fact that NFL teams tend not to draft many players out of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (‘HBCUs’) and whether that might be due to the lack of Black people in personnel decision-making positions — i.e. General Managers. Mr. Jones joined the conversation, and Mr. Trotter asked why teams have so few Black decision makers.”

From paragraph 114: “In response to Mr. Trotter, Mr. Jones dodged the question and stated that players get a large percentage of league revenue and the majority of players are Black. In effect, Mr. Jones was stating that Black people should ‘be happy for what they have’ and not seek further advancement of their rights, positions in society or equality.”

From paragraph 115: “Mr. Trotter reiterated his question, and Mr. Jones responded, ‘I’m starting to feel a little defensive.’ However, notwithstanding Mr. Jones’ previous answer or history of conduct, Mr. Trotter made it clear that he was not attacking him, or even speaking about the Cowboys, but just asking about the league generally.”

Paragraph 116: “Mr. Jones finally responded: ‘If Blacks feel some kind of way, they should buy their own team and hire who they want to hire.’ Mr. Trotter responded by asking if the NFL was going to change its rules requiring purchasers to buy at least 30% of the team and finance deals with no more than $1 billion in debt. Mr. Jones ignored the question.” (Emphasis in original.)

Trotter alleges that he was told by NFL Network management to not mention Jones’s comments on the air.

Jones has issued a denial.

“Diversity and inclusion are extremely important to me personally and to the NFL,” Jones said, via Clarence E. Hill, Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “The representation made by Jim Trotter of a conversation that occurred over three years ago with myself and our V.P. of Player Personnel Will McClay is simply not accurate.”

First, and as mentioned above, it wasn’t more than three years ago. It happened, if it happened, in August 2021. Roughly 25 months ago.

Second, the conversation will become a major issue in the litigation, with Jones and Trotter and McClay testifying about their recollection. They also will be tested, at some point, by cross-examination.

If Trotter can prove that Jones isn’t telling the truth in denying the comment, it will make his entire case stronger. If Jones can persuade a jury that Trotter is exaggerating or embellishing, the opposite effect potentially occurs.

That makes this potentially dangerous ground for a big personality like Jones. He likes to talk. He likes to win. He likes to win every time he talks. And sometimes he talks and talks and talks until he says something that hurts him.

It’s just one of the specific skirmishes that will play out as the litigation moves forward. And it could give the NFL very good reason to attempt to settle the case, sooner than later.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 13, 2023

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Escaped murderer caught in an eagles hoodie, not surprised

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
go birds

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Whoever wrote “Carson Wentz is the Ryan Fitzpatrick of Josh McCowns” deserves an award

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sex_Marxist
Dec 14, 2016

I LOVE MY DEAD GAY SON

:hmmyes:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

No! Stop birds!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/CowboysNation/status/1702055123764060305?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m going to bird

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Go eagle

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

They look like poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Worst 2-0 team of all time

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

euphronius posted:

Just as the NFL planned it, everything going accordingly

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Most wins in the league :toot:

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Eagles will probably be fine but when you get 4 turnovers and the other team is still in the game... woof. At least the cowboys had the decency to blow the giants out of the water when they got 3

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
yeah, nothing has really inspired confidence. they look pretty rough. thankfully with a roster that stacked, "pretty rough" can still get you to the playoffs in the NFC, but it really does feel like they've taken a significant step back. i'm curious how much — if any — of it is down to the coordinators finding their sea legs.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1702721832363692397

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s fine wasn’t expecting him to last

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Hurts needs to feel comfortable in the pocket and stop bailing out when his first read is covered. Also recognize a 3-man rush and how to attack it.

Both correctable problems, and at least they have 11 days now to do it.

The secondary looked bad but they were also missing 3/5 starters. That’ll devastate most teams.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm mad at the cowboys.

That is all.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ya'll the fans booing after the first two drives of the last game

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Toaster Beef posted:

yeah, nothing has really inspired confidence. they look pretty rough. thankfully with a roster that stacked, "pretty rough" can still get you to the playoffs in the NFC, but it really does feel like they've taken a significant step back. i'm curious how much — if any — of it is down to the coordinators finding their sea legs.

Vengarr posted:

Hurts needs to feel comfortable in the pocket and stop bailing out when his first read is covered. Also recognize a 3-man rush and how to attack it.

Both correctable problems, and at least they have 11 days now to do it.

The secondary looked bad but they were also missing 3/5 starters. That’ll devastate most teams.

I think we're seeing in these first two games what I predicted when I said the Eagles might "regress" and that teams were going to start scheming poo poo up to take away the things Hurts likes to do. I'm not a genius by any measure or tooting my own horn after just two games but that's just how the league works. What Minnesota was clearly doing last night was rushing 3, taking away the deep ball (or attempting to), and then using two or sometimes three LB's/safeties in the short middle of the field specifically to focus on Jalen Hurts. We saw it several times when Jalen tried to run; especially on designed runs. Minnesota was all over that poo poo.

And it wasn't until midway through the 2nd quarter that the Birds adjusted their playcalling and just started feeding Swift the ball. Kudos for them for staying with it until the Vikings proved they could stop it, which they never really did. I have to think that a lot of Swift's success, as well as he ran and the holes the line opened up, was due Minnesota's complete dedication to stopping Hurts' on designed runs. Seemed like they had TWO spies on him at all times and rarely blitzed.

Agree that Jalen is struggling to find his reads but I don't think he "bailed early" too much. I couldn't see the receivers downfield but he seemed to be locking on a lot and not really going through his progressions UNTIL he bailed. Seemed to be a distinct lack of check down receivers running routes as well and that, on a lot of plays, he didn't have an outlet receiver.

Also agree that from what I saw it's, indeed, all fixable stuff and also it's always a plus when you can fail to play your best and still win games like this but we had (4x) fumble luck last night and that won't last. I think Philly is becoming too predictable and needs to get a little more creative.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

gently caress. If it's the play I'm thinking of, Maddox looked like he got hit by his own teammate.

Also, I like the Jets to at least cover this week.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That's not regressing that's literally how Hurts and the Eagles offense is set up. They ran the ball 80 more times than passing it last year and Hurts was 16th in passing attempts. When he did pass it was often first read not because he's some dummy but because the Eagles offense features extremely quick receiver talent. Their average depth of target was around 10 yards (AJ Brown had 12!!) which meant Hurts just had to look up and deliver a ball to get a first down. Being able to punish loaded boxes with a giant oline and decent RBs makes it so Hurts' actual first read is done presnap against coverage shells, which he's very good at. It's why they only run a quarter of his snaps as RPO since he doesn't really have to hide it.

I believe his big problem this last game was that he was tipping his keeps. If he was doing a keep he would keep his body open to the strong side and if he was doing a presnap adjustment to a handoff he'd squat too low. Other than that the high percentage first read throws seemed to work just fine. His one INT came from a stare down when he had time in the pocket too. Also I'm going to keep track of every single one of his bullshit TD vultures that didn't need him doing a QB sneak so no one can ever use that as an example of him being a good runner, which he isn't.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, Philly looked unstoppable on the ground, and hung 35 on a team that's considered to be one of premier contenders in the NFC

Naturally they didn't look as good as Dak Prescott, who is a top five quarterback, and Dallas, That is to be expected as they are the inferior football team

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
in my mind the mission is for jalen to become a good enough passer — meaning he advances to the point where he no longer needs the threat of the run to make passing easier — before his running style catches up with him and he takes a debilitating injury.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hurts is basically just a fullback

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

blarzgh posted:

On the other hand, Philly looked unstoppable on the ground, and hung 35 on a team that's considered to be one of premier contenders in the NFC

Now now now let's not make up lies about the Vikings

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Toaster Beef posted:

in my mind the mission is for jalen to become a good enough passer — meaning he advances to the point where he no longer needs the threat of the run to make passing easier — before his running style catches up with him and he takes a debilitating injury.

He's a great passer already. He just isn't a threat to pass first, which is fine. I'd take someone who is a threat to get a first down every time they throw the ball over a big armed pocket passer in today's NFL.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I guess my thing is just that I can't see how his style of running is sustainable at his position. Maybe it's stupid to worry about, but I dunno, I cringe every single time he slams himself into a defender.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'd hold off declaring Jalen a great passer tbh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doltos posted:

That's not regressing that's literally how Hurts and the Eagles offense is set up. They ran the ball 80 more times than passing it last year and Hurts was 16th in passing attempts. When he did pass it was often first read not because he's some dummy but because the Eagles offense features extremely quick receiver talent. Their average depth of target was around 10 yards (AJ Brown had 12!!) which meant Hurts just had to look up and deliver a ball to get a first down. Being able to punish loaded boxes with a giant oline and decent RBs makes it so Hurts' actual first read is done presnap against coverage shells, which he's very good at. It's why they only run a quarter of his snaps as RPO since he doesn't really have to hide it.

I believe his big problem this last game was that he was tipping his keeps. If he was doing a keep he would keep his body open to the strong side and if he was doing a presnap adjustment to a handoff he'd squat too low. Other than that the high percentage first read throws seemed to work just fine. His one INT came from a stare down when he had time in the pocket too. Also I'm going to keep track of every single one of his bullshit TD vultures that didn't need him doing a QB sneak so no one can ever use that as an example of him being a good runner, which he isn't.

Yes I think you are exactly right

We will see how they adapt

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

He is indeed a good runner tho wtf? Like not ADP but he runs to the edge well and the qb sneak thing works which is better than most qbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I don't think he's a particularly great runner, but he's quite good, and I don't agree with the notion that the rugby-style TDs he tends to get automatically should be written off. When the Eagles have tried that with a backup instead of Jalen, it just doesn't work. It's a skill set he has, whether or not that skill may amount to "be very very strong."