Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

HonorableTB posted:

In another blow against endemic corruption, Zelenskyy has signed a decree mandating a mass review of military medical commissions' decisions regarding men unfit for military service. Those found to have acquired an exemption via corruption and other illegal means shall have that exemption revoked and the draft-age men in question punished.

https://kyivindependent.com/zelensky-signs-decree-on-mass-review-of-military-medicals-decisions/

Must be done. I think we have yet to see how Ukrainian society will deal with the aftermath of this war. There are always "traitors" and they should be dealt with lawfully. So many grey areas to navigate. I just hope that the justice remains civil and conclusive.

This is kind of complicated ethically for me. Yes, getting out thanks to corruption is pretty iffy - but being forced to kill people isn't really something people should be forced into. I refused to join the military because I don't want to even learn how to kill another human, though I'd be more than happy to drive supply trucks or work an office job with logistics or something. There aren't any clean cut answers, and it's no good ethical conclusion as far as I can see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:byetankie:

edit:

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1702185843673252188
And ding ding ding, it most definitely was air defense being blown up.

yup

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1702217513050779876

it seems it was near this site

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1702217518138413464

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 14, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Got some lukewarm takes on this page

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Anders posted:

This is kind of complicated ethically for me. Yes, getting out thanks to corruption is pretty iffy - but being forced to kill people isn't really something people should be forced into. I refused to join the military because I don't want to even learn how to kill another human, though I'd be more than happy to drive supply trucks or work an office job with logistics or something. There aren't any clean cut answers, and it's no good ethical conclusion as far as I can see

It's not as straightforward as other ethical questions, sure, though I think ultimately it does land on "preferable to the alternatives". It's also possible that this conscription allows for being diverted into non-combat roles (afaik anyway, I haven't looked into it).
The above aside, I bet it would be dropped immediately if Russia returned to their 2013 borders, so probably they should do that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

tiaz posted:

It's not as straightforward as other ethical questions, sure, though I think ultimately it does land on "preferable to the alternatives". It's also possible that this conscription allows for being diverted into non-combat roles (afaik anyway, I haven't looked into it).
The above aside, I bet it would be dropped immediately if Russia returned to their 2013 borders, so probably they should do that

OTOH - corruption in Ukraine is epidemic - not as bad as in Russia - but it has been one of the most corrupt nations in Europe since the fall of the USSR - and that corruption needs to be dealt with too for the sake of the post-war society, and the very unethical practice of rich people getting out of service while the working class gets sent to the front lines, so for the "greater good" I think the least bad solution is to forcibly revoke the exemptions (but allow people to opt-out of combat roles)

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1702185843673252188
And ding ding ding, it most definitely was air defense being blown up.

Guardian reporting that they blinded it by hitting the radar/antenna with drones, then hit the launchers with two modified Neptune's. Awesome.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the popes toes posted:

Is that correct? I thought the "national welfare" fund, or what people otherwise called Putin's "war chest" was sufficiently large and still sufficient? Now, you can certainly argue that civil projects of repair, improvement, creation etc., will suffer and have been suffering. And it's those sorts of investment that maintain an economy. But has this lack of infrastructure spending also affected pensions yet?

the west paid out a pension

russia used a pencil

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What air defense doing BLYAT

*drinks a bottle of perfume*

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCk6q_l-W5Y

LMAO, when you hit rock bottom.

Sorry, sorry!

*clears throat and in best tankie voice*

Everything is going to plan and western weapons aren't anything better than what Russia has.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCk6q_l-W5Y

LMAO, when you hit rock bottom.

Sorry, sorry!

*clears throat and in best tankie voice*

Everything is going to plan and western weapons aren't anything better than what Russia has.

Talking about a menu then showing 20 seconds of two blokes washing a chair is definitely the sort of news that us decadent and corrupt Westerners are missing out on.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

*has to ally with literally the single shittiest country on the planet out of desperation*

everything is going really well

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Roblo posted:

Guardian reporting that they blinded it by hitting the radar/antenna with drones, then hit the launchers with two modified Neptune's. Awesome.

Thats apparently 1.2 billion in air defense that's now scrap.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RIP S-400

died of cringe

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Talking about a menu then showing 20 seconds of two blokes washing a chair is definitely the sort of news that us decadent and corrupt Westerners are missing out on.

gently caress me wherever will I get lingonberry

https://twitter.com/jsam10983741/status/1620593345285455873?s=20

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Is the punishment for corruption in the Ukrainian military/production/procurement increasing?

I'd think someone stealing vital war supplies during a war for survival would be shot for treason as soon as the trial is over in most countries.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

20% of the subs in the Black Sea fleet destroyed?

Not good not terrible OK

drat, always preferred them to dubs

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

HonorableTB posted:

Younger brother came to visit older brother. He will grow up to hate Russia and Russians, and you can't blame him for it. Putin is a tremendous piece of poo poo.

For everyone who can and wants to help Ukraine bring victory closer - State site where you can donate directly to Ukraine. I put in another $50 - match me?

https://u24.gov.ua

Ok

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

In most countries corruption is a rich person crime which means the punishment is spending 5 years getting rubbished in the press and then acquitted because your handler-oligarch's lawyer is more expensive than the civil service bum prosecuting you (who is hoping to go join the oligarch's firm in a few years anyway)

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

a cyborg mug posted:

*has to ally with literally the single shittiest country on the planet out of desperation*

How many days before Putin signs a trade deal with Eritrea?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Looking forward to all the new avatars :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sashimi posted:

How many days before Putin signs a trade deal with Eritrea?

Why rush when Myanmar is still on the table?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Landlord spotted! Filthy shitlib nazi centrist westerner.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

a cyborg mug posted:

Not really sure which country you're talking about here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1702187162542694897?s=20

quote:

Defence sources have told the BBC that a row then broke out between the two Russian pilots.

The pilot of the second SU-27 did not think they had been given permission to fire.

He is said to have sworn at his comrade, effectively asking him what he thought he was doing.

Yet the first pilot still released another missile.

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 14, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IKEA! Of course

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1701888890888417465

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Initial reports

Paranoea
Aug 4, 2009

Rugz posted:

Initial reports

By my calculations, this means UAF now have fire control over twelve of the four roads leading to Bahmut.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Watching attempts to increase the Rubles strength has been fun to watch over the last month but it's still steadily creeping downwards to 1:100 again.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Paranoea posted:

By my calculations, this means UAF now have fire control over twelve of the four roads leading to Bahmut.

300% more than possible!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tai posted:

Watching attempts to increase the Rubles strength has been fun to watch over the last month but it's still steadily creeping downwards to 1:100 again.

sir, it's a trap!

They have two dollars!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The gently caress kind of clown show are these guys running that some Russian gammon can just wander up right next to a loving S400 launcher for some selfies?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The gently caress kind of clown show are these guys running that some Russian gammon can just wander up right next to a loving S400 launcher for some selfies?

He's the guy crewing it.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Better question: The gently caress kind of clown show are these guys running where after arresting and forcing a public apology out of some Russian gammon for taking a selfie with a S400 you do not relocate said S400 and it then gets blown up months later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's certainly a lol but also I doubt it made any difference, you can clearly see it from space anyway.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rugz posted:

Better question: The gently caress kind of clown show are these guys running where after arresting and forcing a public apology out of some Russian gammon for taking a selfie with a S400 you do not relocate said S400 and it then gets blown up months later.

According to some replies I read they did move it - to another set of revetments 1km away, then they moved it back again, because it just alternated between the two sites so the crews wouldn't have to dig more holes and banks

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

large hands posted:

The storm shadow has a precursor charge that cuts a big hole in the targets exterior, then a 500lb-ish bomb flies through the hole and explodes inside. I think that's probably enough to write most ships off.

From the very grainy satellite photos released so far it looks like the bow of the sub and bridge of the landing ship are pretty much gone.

Subs are extremely sensitive to even minor damage and usually can't be repaired so they didn't even have to do that. Just put a dent in the pressure hull and it's done for.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
God bless speedo geezer and all his brethren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

mobby_6kl posted:

It's certainly a lol but also I doubt it made any difference, you can clearly see it from space anyway.

Yeah the holiday snaps are funny but don’t really reveal any top secret info. There are publicly available satellite images that update every 2 days that easily show the position of AA installations, let alone the secret mil satellites that will give much better pictures. There’s almost certainly a ton of intelligence guys poring over and tracking that stuff daily.