Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
There's a whole sea of 4k monitors on the used market for way less than $400. I just saw a 27" HP 4K for $120 but without a stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

There's a whole sea of 4k monitors on the used market for way less than $400. I just saw a 27" HP 4K for $120 but without a stand.

those cheap HP displays are garbo

either Dell, or Samsung, or LG at that price point

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ok Comboomer posted:

those cheap HP displays are garbo

either Dell, or Samsung, or LG at that price point

HP makes a garbo IPS 27" 4k? I honestly don't know. It was a Z27 4K. My wife was asking me for a monitor for doing spreadsheets that wasn't totally rear end. I saw it on eBay and got an offer for $120.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Huh so much for software that isn't optimized for multi GPU (re: 2013 trashcan Mac Pro)

This is Nuke btw. I use it every day at work. I haven't downloaded it for personal non-commercial use in over a decade. Time to install this on the trashcan.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Do old 2008/2009/2010 Mac Pros have any real value these days for anything? My company has 5 of them just collecting dust

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Astro7x posted:

Do old 2008/2009/2010 Mac Pros have any real value these days for anything? My company has 5 of them just collecting dust

They were collectible a few years ago. If you go on YouTube you'll see a bunch of how-to max out those machines from like 2017-2019 but then it died off and I think most people using them for real work dumped them. Now they are just collectibles but kind of a paint to deal with since they are big and heavy. Are yours all banged up from moving around? They also came in different configurations and the higher end ones are more desirable than the low spec ones and I'm not just talking about the components you can swap around the different years had different board layouts. I'm no expert tho I have 4 dumpster ones in kinda rough shape I haven't even touched yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Astro7x posted:

send them all to me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

send them all to me

No give me one first then send the rest to him

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Astro7x posted:

I’m half-tempted to ask if I could get one despite having no real room for it, just for the novelty of seeing how far I could push dual Core 2 Quads. I used to have one and was amused to see GZDoom’s multithreaded software renderer beat the absolute snot out of what its Radeon 2600XT could manage. As it stands, it’d run a whole lot of Mac apps just fine and you could toss a contemporary-ish Radeon into it without much fuss. What’s the ceiling OS release supported? Catalina? With Mojave you could run 32-bit apps, and quickly.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

2010/12 Mac Pros can't run anything past Mojave.

Mojave includes the fabled BootROM 144.0.0.0, which fixes many longstanding bugs, allows the x16 slots to run at full speed, and provides for booting off an NVMe drive that's in a proper PCIe card. It's required if you're going to attempt OCLP-ing the machine to run post Mojave OSes.

Mojave though, absolutely requires that you install a Metal compatible GPU card, the one most recommended is the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 with 8 GB VRAM. You could also use certain 5x0 variants or the nVidia GeForce GTX 680, of which a paltry run of Mac specific models were produced.

Otherwise it's High Sierra only if you keep the default AMD 5770 / 5800.

Oh yeah the cheese graters all use Xeon CPUs of a specific vintage, some macOS's and the Rapid Security Response patches use SSE 3.0 commands which you'll never get on the MP Xeons.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 8, 2023

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Binary Badger posted:

2010/12 Mac Pros can't run anything past Mojave.

Mojave includes the fabled BootROM 144.0.0.0, which fixes many longstanding bugs, allows the x16 slots to run at full speed, and provides for booting off an NVMe drive that's in a proper PCIe card. It's required if you're going to attempt OCLP-ing the machine to run post Mojave OSes.

Mojave though, absolutely requires that you install a Metal compatible GPU card, the one most recommended is the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 with 8 GB VRAM. You could also use certain 5x0 variants or the nVidia GeForce GTX 680, of which a paltry run of Mac specific models were produced.

Otherwise it's High Sierra only if you keep the default AMD 5770 / 5800.

Oh yeah the cheese graters all use Xeon CPUs of a specific vintage, some macOS's and the Rapid Security Response patches use SSE 3.0 commands which you'll never get on the MP Xeons.

That is super helpful info, thank you. Would the dinky Radeon 8570 I have in my parts box be likely to work in that scenario? It’s a 1GB GCN 1.0 card and should support Metal, but it’s considerably older than Polaris.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Doubt it, the 580 is a GCN 4.0..

There's a point in installing Mojave where the screen is black / blank for an extended period and if Mojave doesn't work with your card it'll stay black until you boot back in High Sierra or put in a compatible card..

Installing OCLP will give you back a boot screen though, but I would not recommend installing it until Mojave is settled in.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Those machines might be better off with windows if you can roll that.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Shaocaholica posted:

Those machines might be better off with windows if you can roll that.

Was thinking that, though Win11 poses its own set of challenges (and largely sucks) and Windows 10 is running out of road. To Linux!

The firmware limit could probably be worked around on a monitor with dual inputs by keeping the stock video card connected on one to see boot messages, and then letting the OS switch to the more capable card once drivers have loaded. It works for jumping between the startup/BMC on my Power9 hand then jumping to its RX 6600 for X11/Wayland.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The last 2010 4,1 machine I patched I had to use a salvaged nVidia GT120 in one of the x4 slots to do what you described, so yes that should work.

If you can't find an Apple GT120 which is guaranteed to work since it has a Mac firmware, you could use any of the plethora of cheap noname boards using the GT120.

BTW, I just saw a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 on sale on Amazon for $80 (used) if you think you want to go that route.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought two sticks of RAM from Crucial as I’ve always trusted them in the past, but jeez not massively impressed that they packed computer chips in a packet that I’d think twice about sending a piece of paper in.

The one position thing is I guess UPS Mail Innovations get delivered on a Sunday? Wasn’t expecting that (I know USPS does the final leg).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah I got a UPS mail innovation thing today too, so that was nice.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Do we have a thread for general smart home stuff, or one for HomeKit (a Thread thread, some might say)?

Failing that, what's good to read up on if I want to figure out what kinds of things I can do with HomeKit automation before purchasing hundreds of pounds worth of toys that will enable the Home app to actually show me automations?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fedule posted:

Do we have a thread for general smart home stuff, or one for HomeKit (a Thread thread, some might say)?

Failing that, what's good to read up on if I want to figure out what kinds of things I can do with HomeKit automation before purchasing hundreds of pounds worth of toys that will enable the Home app to actually show me automations?

Yep!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I asked the fruit stand about replacing the stand on my iMac Pro just to get a quote I can give the original seller.

$90 for stand, $100 for labor. Not too bad considering they get the clean out the case while they're at it. Now I know the stand is $90.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

I asked the fruit stand about replacing the stand on my iMac Pro just to get a quote I can give the original seller.

$90 for stand, $100 for labor. Not too bad considering they get the clean out the case while they're at it. Now I know the stand is $90.

pretty reasonable lol

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh wait the iMac Pro stand -IS- user replaceable without taking the whole thing apart (unlike the slim unibody iMac). So $100 labor is actually bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nDGX36YXjE

I'm going back to the fruit stand and showing them the instructions for the vesa kit and how its supposed to be user swappable. So they can either sell me the stand for $90 or waive the $100 labor fee.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 12, 2023

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
"No no, that's the fee. $10 a minute, tyvm."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I made a thread for todays USBC announcement event: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041708

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

it says the thread is closed

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

it says the thread is closed

If you read the entire OP you’d see the new link :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041710&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
wrong thread

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I can’t wait to see what the M3 Max/Ultra feature once ready. Hardware ray tracing, redesigned shaders, hardware-supported neural upscaling. The re-designed GPU in the M3 could be a monster.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Unreal5 is fully Apple Silicon supported right? Not just x86/DirectX virtualized under the hood?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Unreal5 is fully Apple Silicon supported right? Not just x86/DirectX virtualized under the hood?

Starting with 5.2

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Neat. Article doesn't mention anything about metal. Unreal has always been DirectX...except on PS5 whatever Sony API that's probably similar to DX.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Neat. Article doesn't mention anything about metal. Unreal has always been DirectX...except on PS5 whatever Sony API that's probably similar to DX.

Unreal supports Metal and Vulkan and on M2 and later supports Nanite and Lumen (5.3+). Looking forward to seeing what the M3 can do in Pro/Max/Ult configurations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

So I went back to Apple Store since I also needed to order a replacement 'black' power cable. Was only $11 for the cable. Cheaper than any 3rd party seller.

Anyway I showed them the stand is user replaceable and the lead tech there waived the $99 labor fee. They also said I could just come and get the stand but I need to give them the old stand as a core. I guess that's how Apple keeps surplus parts off the repair market.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

So I went back to Apple Store since I also needed to order a replacement 'black' power cable. Was only $11 for the cable. Cheaper than any 3rd party seller.

Anyway I showed them the stand is user replaceable and the lead tech there waived the $99 labor fee. They also said I could just come and get the stand but I need to give them the old stand as a core. I guess that's how Apple keeps surplus parts off the repair market.

Nice! That’s not bad at all then.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm glad they took care of you, it's nice of them. My local car dealer labor rate is like $300 an hour, so $99 doesn't strike me as outrageous. There are certainly people who would be happy to save those 15 minutes and have a pro take care of it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chemmy posted:

I'm glad they took care of you, it's nice of them. My local car dealer labor rate is like $300 an hour, so $99 doesn't strike me as outrageous. There are certainly people who would be happy to save those 15 minutes and have a pro take care of it.

i agree frankly i think this was fine the whole time tho it’s great they’re waiving it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Eh, its literally 9 screws. The first tech said they needed to take the whole thing apart which is why it was $99 which wasn't true. I wonder if they would have taken it totally apart anyway lol.

Anyway cherry on top is that I sent the quote to the eBay seller and they refunded me $90+tax to cover the replacement stand.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 14, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyway cherry on top is that I sent the quote to the eBay seller and they refunded me $90+tax to cover the replacement stand.

that’s rad and i’m kinda shocked lol

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Wait a drat minute. The Watch Ultra is Titanium. The iPhone Pro is Titanium.

Could it be? Are they gonna...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I miss the dented rear end bent chassis of my TiBook, really let me customize the airflow/cooling situation