Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
love an 18th century soldier with a nice hat (NO SHAKOS) and a blue & pink uniform with a white sash

the imagination of old vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I’ve read about how after crossing the Pyrenees in 1814 a British regiment looted a ship full of textile in Toulouse and ended up looking like clowns. Wanna paint that some day

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Not many people opt to paint their peninsular British troops in faded salmon, do they?

No justification for this picture except that it owns.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
green board

green bases

no flock

stepped hills

a few sticks

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

green board

green bases

no flock

stepped hills

a few sticks

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
blue blob on a sandy blob

art

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

90s Cringe Rock posted:

blue blob on a sandy blob

art

some people play these games y'know

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm not being sarcastic or anything

old school historical wargames have achieved a level beyond even goblin green bases with a light brush of sunburst yellow over the goblin green sand, and it's really pretty

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like that you can tell that someone was in the middle of their rebasing project when playing that game too.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Lumbermouth posted:

I've always wanted to try a blue Sgt Rock-style Nazi army.

Yeah - I definitely see a lot of film nazis these days (flat grey/blue uniform). Maybe because it's a way of making it a bit less real? Similarly I've definitely seen a lot of Team Yankee armies with fictional inspirations - maybe because it's already pretend.

Southern Heel posted:

I do get the point though. I have no idea why anyone would want to play out Desert Storm II or the Rwandan genocide (and maybe this is another made-up boogeyman?)

There's definitely people who want to play Desert Storm II.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

spectralent posted:

Yeah - I definitely see a lot of film nazis these days (flat grey/blue uniform). Maybe because it's a way of making it a bit less real? Similarly I've definitely seen a lot of Team Yankee armies with fictional inspirations - maybe because it's already pretend.

There's definitely people who want to play Desert Storm II.

Oh I don't doubt it. I'll field the child soldiers with AK47s and RPGs, you field the special forces and the off-table drone strikes? Nah - I think I'll stick with 6pdrs and tricorns.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

a ton of the guys in my club were truck drivers or mechanics in the military in the 80s/90s and act gung ho about everything like they were Tier 1 operators and want to play that poo poo

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

uncannily enough the exact same demographic as people at my old club who were insanely into it. Also consisted of the most ardent "Team yankee doesn't make the US/UK hit on 6+ with 2+ skill and the soviets auto-fail skill checks so it's actually deeply inaccurate-" demographic.

edit: It's actually kind of fascinating sociologically because my gramps was in the RAF for a long time before that (the gulf war was the end of his career), and he's always far more pessimistic about the raw military comparison.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Why the gently caress would I want to play as them killing farmers?

If it wouldn't be so depressing, it would make one hell of a social experiment / convention game. The players' high speed operators need to cross a market square without murdering anyone.

There's no terrorists. There's no nuke. The players just need to push miniatures from A to B without doing a war crime.

Or a scenario where the briefing packet doesn't match anything on the table. They need to recognize that there's been a fuckup and nobody here is a target.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Southern Heel posted:

Oh I don't doubt it. I'll field the child soldiers with AK47s and RPGs, you field the special forces and the off-table drone strikes? Nah - I think I'll stick with 6pdrs and tricorns.
Highly asymmetric modern fights skeeve me out, but I really like very modern wargaming and there's (before 2022) very few examples of anything like peer forces meeting in open conflict that wasn't a total curb-stomp. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Shusha_(2020) is one I've been watching accumulate details since it happened.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

If it wouldn't be so depressing, it would make one hell of a social experiment / convention game. The players' high speed operators need to cross a market square without murdering anyone.

There's no terrorists. There's no nuke. The players just need to push miniatures from A to B without doing a war crime.

Or a scenario where the briefing packet doesn't match anything on the table. They need to recognize that there's been a fuckup and nobody here is a target.
You could run that with Force on Force if you wanted to. The mechanics for mobs are interesting in that they're more likely to get riled up and start throwing stuff if the regular forces are being jackasses. Like, say, trying to tell the mob it should get out of the way.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

alg posted:

a ton of the guys in my club were truck drivers or mechanics in the military in the 80s/90s and act gung ho about everything like they were Tier 1 operators and want to play that poo poo

A wargame based around my own personal military experiences in the early 1990s would need to be able to successfully represent events like "bored while working long 3rd shifts where time seems to stretch out forever" and "getting drunk in English pubs, a lot"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Southern Heel posted:

Not many people opt to paint their peninsular British troops in faded salmon, do they?

No justification for this picture except that it owns.

I love everything about this. It's so evocative! It reminds me of the old books on wargames my dad had when I was a kid.

spectralent posted:

Yeah - I definitely see a lot of film nazis these days (flat grey/blue uniform). Maybe because it's a way of making it a bit less real?

NGL, I love fictional GI Joe / comic book Historicals. It's a game, not my Master's Thesis.

Edit: I plan to make a Dad's Army, er, army for a Sea Lion game, and have this to use as an APC:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Sydney Bottocks posted:

A wargame based around my own personal military experiences in the early 1990s would need to be able to successfully represent events like "bored while working long 3rd shifts where time seems to stretch out forever" and "getting drunk in English pubs, a lot"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTkgi7scKo

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I played a game with a friend years back which was English cops vs closing time at the local pub. It was possible for both sides to call in "reinforcements" and escalate from one drunk twat to firebombs and the riot squad. Sadly I cannot remember the name of it.

So like... would that do ya?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Arquinsiel posted:

I played a game with a friend years back which was English cops vs closing time at the local pub. It was possible for both sides to call in "reinforcements" and escalate from one drunk twat to firebombs and the riot squad. Sadly I cannot remember the name of it.

Was it No Go Zone by the now-defunct Warm Acre Games? I always thought they'd hit on an interesting idea.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd definitely play a game like that, but it wouldn't be quite the same as my closing time experiences (which were usually something like "hurriedly pound down the full pint you got just before closing time was announced", combined with either "grab a kebab and some samosas before heading back to the US airbase" or "head back to the US airbase with my British pals for more drinking, because the club on base is open until 2 AM")

Rascar Capac posted:

Was it No Go Zone by the now-defunct Warm Acre Games? I always thought they'd hit on an interesting idea.

I googled Warm Acre Games and it looks like that might be it, they're on Wargame Vault and they also sell cardstock terrain for various British things like "The Pub" and "British Ambulance" and "British Police Van", so I may have to give this a look.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 14, 2023

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cessna posted:

NGL, I love fictional GI Joe / comic book Historicals. It's a game, not my Master's Thesis.

One day I will make my Team Yankee Tiger Force army.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010
Hey Historical game thread!

Some friends and I recently decided to take the plunge on Turnip28 and, having just gotten my first French from Perry, I already know I want to finally commit to some Napoleonic gaming. I've read books, watched videos, and played some PC games during the era but, like many others, picking minis and a game have always been a little intimidating. So I think I've determined to tackle it on two fronts in indeterminate order. I'll have some leftover 25mm French that I'll want to paint up accurately and expanding that into a Sharpe Practice force with an opponent should be feasible. I know that I'm going to want to player somewhat larger battles with smaller figures though, which is what brings me to some questions.

Unfortunately, space and budget mean I am unlikely to acquire the hundreds to thousands of figures for the really big, spectacle battles. At least not for a few years. With that in mind, does the thread have any idea on a (relatively) low-model count, 15mm-compatible ruleset? I already own Absolute Emperor, General d'Armee, and Emperor Bataille. They all seem interesting with their own ups and downs but also seem to need a lot of figures. I'm looking for something with about 100-200 total figures per side (groups of 12-16 for battalions/regiment?), maybe representing a corps or division. Open to any and all suggestions!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

You can play Blucher with cards, iirc, so that's probably the absolute peak of storage efficiency for napoleonics.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Neither will have the depth of those games but One Hour Wargames has a horse and musket section that I tried my hand at expanding. There's also DBN (De Bellis Napoleonics) neither of which will require more than 12 bases of units per side.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

One day I will make my Team Yankee Tiger Force army.

At least one person has done GI Joe Cobra:

Also:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cessna posted:

Flawless :allears:

Honestly not miles off the actual Team Yankee fluff at that, yuck yuck.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

Flawless :allears:

Honestly not miles off the actual Team Yankee fluff at that, yuck yuck.

The most you can ever do to your opponent's tanks is "Bailed Out."

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

spectralent posted:

You can play Blucher with cards, iirc, so that's probably the absolute peak of storage efficiency for napoleonics.

I looked into that but I like painting and the feel of miniatures too much to do cards or Command & Colors!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Neither will have the depth of those games but One Hour Wargames has a horse and musket section that I tried my hand at expanding. There's also DBN (De Bellis Napoleonics) neither of which will require more than 12 bases of units per side.

I'll look into both of those! Do you know if DBN is written any better than DBA? I like the scale of both but the syntax of DBA is... unique.

Does anyone play Sharpe Practice with multiple, smaller figures representing one 28mm figure? Does it hold up for "bigger" battles using that method?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

I looked into that but I like painting and the feel of miniatures too much to do cards or Command & Colors!

I'll look into both of those! Do you know if DBN is written any better than DBA? I like the scale of both but the syntax of DBA is... unique.

Yes, it's much easier to understand. There's also an exhaustive faq and walkthrough done by a cool German guy you can look through here..

Cessna posted:

Holy poo poo there are way more GI Joe STLs out there than I thought. This one dude seems to have made every vehicle in 6mm.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Hey Historical game thread!

Some friends and I recently decided to take the plunge on Turnip28 and, having just gotten my first French from Perry, I already know I want to finally commit to some Napoleonic gaming. I've read books, watched videos, and played some PC games during the era but, like many others, picking minis and a game have always been a little intimidating. So I think I've determined to tackle it on two fronts in indeterminate order. I'll have some leftover 25mm French that I'll want to paint up accurately and expanding that into a Sharpe Practice force with an opponent should be feasible. I know that I'm going to want to player somewhat larger battles with smaller figures though, which is what brings me to some questions.

Unfortunately, space and budget mean I am unlikely to acquire the hundreds to thousands of figures for the really big, spectacle battles. At least not for a few years. With that in mind, does the thread have any idea on a (relatively) low-model count, 15mm-compatible ruleset? I already own Absolute Emperor, General d'Armee, and Emperor Bataille. They all seem interesting with their own ups and downs but also seem to need a lot of figures. I'm looking for something with about 100-200 total figures per side (groups of 12-16 for battalions/regiment?), maybe representing a corps or division. Open to any and all suggestions!

If I understand correctly, you want the feeling of playing bigger battles but don't want to be limited by the need of lots of minis? It sounds to me that Blücher might be something you want to check out.

Otherwise, don't underestimate the option of playing smaller battles at first. If you haven't, I can with very warm heart recommend the Thunder on the Danube trilogy, covering the 1809 campaign. More than most Napoleonic books, I think it does a great job at making the smaller skirmishes inbetween the large battles interesting. Sometimes it's down to 2-3 battalions and maybe a squadron or two of cavalry per side. I've reread the series at least twice and every time I just get a huge hankering for chasing Kaiserliks all the way to Znaim.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Looks amazing. But I would think you'd spend 6 hours moving about 3 turns to get close enough to form into a line and then it's next weekend to resolve the firing turn.

I wish I could do that one day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rascar Capac posted:

That is it exactly. Goon hivemind FTW! It was pretty fun to play too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Does anyone play Sharpe Practice with multiple, smaller figures representing one 28mm figure? Does it hold up for "bigger" battles using that method?

Earlier in the thread I played a series of game systems over the same scenario and I found that while DBN is fine, the additional complexity it no way correlates to a more enjoyable, engaging or accurate game and the OHW Horse & Musket rules (partulcalrly with Mr. Fatts synopsis linked earlier) give you a very similar result in about half the time and dice rolling. The huge benefit of OHW is that there are 30+ scenarios and random army generators included in the book which makes sure you don't just mash two armies into each other which is the kryptonite for fun IMO.

The armies are never more than 6 units each, and as long as both sides have the same unit sizes (i.e. each unit is 4 figures, each unit 2 bases, whatever) then literally nothing else matters. Pair that with The Solo Wargaming Guide and you've got fertile ground for wargaming that will last you either solo or with an opponent for years before you run out of things to do even with ~8 total units per side (to account for all results of the random army generator)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 15, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Comstar posted:

Looks amazing. But I would think you'd spend 6 hours moving about 3 turns to get close enough to form into a line and then it's next weekend to resolve the firing turn.

I wish I could do that one day.

Yes it screams "multibase meee!". Awesome old school though.

e: saw now that the infantry is prob multibased but not the cavalry

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Earlier in the thread I played a series of game systems over the same scenario and I found that while DBN is fine, the additional complexity it no way correlates to a more enjoyable, engaging or accurate game and the OHW Horse & Musket rules (partulcalrly with Mr. Fatts synopsis linked earlier) give you a very similar result in about half the time and dice rolling. The huge benefit of OHW is that there are 30+ scenarios and random army generators included in the book which makes sure you don't just mash two armies into each other which is the kryptonite for fun IMO.

The armies are never more than 6 units each, and as long as both sides have the same unit sizes (i.e. each unit is 4 figures, each unit 2 bases, whatever) then literally nothing else matters. Pair that with The Solo Wargaming Guide and you've got fertile ground for wargaming that will last you either solo or with an opponent for years before you run out of things to do even with ~8 total units per side (to account for all results of the random army generator)

Going to check out OHW for sure now, and will probably buy Blucher as well just to read and get ideas.

I took another look at Absolute Emperor and I think it may actually be what I want. Solution was already in hand! Divisions are 4 stands each, 3-5 divisions per corps, and a few corps per side should make a satisfying game. OHW will be a stepping stone while I paint stuff up. Thanks for the input everyone!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

ADudeWhoAbides posted:

Thanks for the input everyone!

Absolute Emperor really is very good in my opinion, as a halfway house between the very high obstruction of one hour war games, and the super crunch of more traditional Napoleonics.

There are a few things that you might want to tweak, but they are simple things, for example: increasing the command radius of your sub-commanders.

I also prefer to play in the zoomed in variant, where you control multiple divisions in a single corps, rather than multiple corps - IMO that is the sweet spot - but clearly other people think otherwise!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Does anyone know what these things are on the back of what are ostensibly Austrian cuirassiers?

It looks to me like some kind of musket??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From that angle they look like just round tubes, do they look like there's a stock on one end from any angle? If so might be the carbines that some units carried.