Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If your follower is attached to an outpost (in this case *slight spoilers maybe?* Heller) and you use them as a companion will your outpost still get their skills to help it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been trying to upgrade a class B reactor to the Razorleaf, but I get an error that "ship needs more landing gear" after it. Is it some kind of weight threshold that goes over or could I put the reactor in another spot on the ship instead?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

They’re an obvious place for a DLC to go.
They’re so obviously DLC material, it’s almost as if BGS left out stuff?

I can’t recall prior BGS DLCs being this telegraphed.

Enigma posted:

You can infer it from the DMG stats, which is dumb, but it works:

If Hull DMG = Shield DMG, it's either a missile (which the name usually says) or a particle weapon.
If Hull DMG > Shield DMG, it's ballistic,
If Shield DMG > Hull DMG, it's a laser.
If it lists EM DMG, it's an EM weapon.

"Auto" means it fires faster but has lower damage, relatively.
"Turret" means it's automatic. Note: you can't initiate combat with turrets, so don't make the mistake I did once and go all-turret (there's even an encounter that requires you friendly fire, which you can't do with only turrets).
The trick is to have one very long range weapon on one weapon group and all turrets on the other.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TeaJay posted:

I've been trying to upgrade a class B reactor to the Razorleaf, but I get an error that "ship needs more landing gear" after it. Is it some kind of weight threshold that goes over or could I put the reactor in another spot on the ship instead?

It's a weight thing, the calculation is not explained anywhere though. Just add another landing gear or replace one with more landing thrust

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

VostokProgram posted:

It's a weight thing, the calculation is not explained anywhere though. Just add another landing gear or replace one with more landing thrust

I think it's 1 landing gear thrust = 200 mass

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TeaJay posted:

just get starship mods to level 3 and you can put an absolutely killer version of the type of reactor in the razorleaf instead of messing around with a b-class one

i put the best variants of each of the modules that came with the razorleaf into it and it absolutely rocks, i go back and forth between it and the shieldbreaker as my home ship right now

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
After doing all the faction quests I definitely want to do a few NG+ runs to see the other outcomes. The faction quests are the best thing in the game IMO. First run through some of them are rough because certain perks make life easier, but future runs should be more enjoyable.

Still not sure when I'm going to NG+. I think I want to get my base stuff all figured out so I can print money faster, and figure out the best place to sell that has the least wait time before vendor reset. having to wait 20 or 30 seconds for the 48 hours on Neon is annoying.

Not sure how limiting vendor cash really benefits the gameplay. You still need to find the best weapons and armour, and you can just level by crafting stuff so limiting cash seems stupid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hamelekim posted:

After doing all the faction quests I definitely want to do a few NG+ runs to see the other outcomes. The faction quests are the best thing in the game IMO. First run through some of them are rough because certain perks make life easier, but future runs should be more enjoyable.

Still not sure when I'm going to NG+. I think I want to get my base stuff all figured out so I can print money faster, and figure out the best place to sell that has the least wait time before vendor reset. having to wait 20 or 30 seconds for the 48 hours on Neon is annoying.

Not sure how limiting vendor cash really benefits the gameplay. You still need to find the best weapons and armour, and you can just level by crafting stuff so limiting cash seems stupid.

It’s 48 hours UT while waiting is local time. New homestead has a rotation so slow it’s like 3 hours local for a vendor reset and there’s a bench right across from the vendor.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yeah turrets loving suck. I went into a big fight after upgrading to them and their target priority being “whatever the turret wants” plus my inability to control when they are firing irritated the poo poo out of me.
Alternatively you've just grav jumped to a planet that has some Crimson Fleet loitering about who start shooting at you, and your turrets have already weeded out two of the ships by the time you have got your bearings and start shooting your guns at the third.

My current daily driver.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

They’re so obviously DLC material, it’s almost as if BGS left out stuff?

I can’t recall prior BGS DLCs being this telegraphed.

The trick is to have one very long range weapon on one weapon group and all turrets on the other.

The other trick is that since turrets can fire backward you load up on 3.5km particle beams and kite.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I haver her as my companion and right now I have the same bug. We are bug besties! :P

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ZombyDog posted:

My current daily driver.

that looks great!!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lol. Didn't realize until now that I could manually pick up, rotate, and place objects.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

She has chameleon, and thats what does it. I’ve had the same thing happen to my head.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

You know you failed at being at open world RPG game when you have a lockpicking system, including consumable items, a skill dedicated to it, and a minigame, and you end up with 2/3 of the quest related doors as unpickable.
They truly stopped caring about being the 'go anywhere, do anything' rpg company.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

trizzNPH posted:

Which Fallout or Elder Scrolls game did you play that convinced you that BGS titles are designed in any way to be played as a raw pacifist, genuine question.

Third, always gotta test if the game forces you to be a mass killer or if there is another way. There wasn't.

I do the same thing if I'm handed a controller playing Call of Duty (you can actually get through some missions and segments without ever firing a weapon in the two I remember briefly trying, just gotta walk to the right set price triggers.)

I'm not faulting Starfield for not having a nonlethal option despite it being precious about certain NPCs, nor did I expect it, but I'm still gonna test it and see what happens or not.

I also did not expect the game to acknowledge a player making dinner in the middle of a shootout (to be honest I expected to walk back to a death screen).

The thing I didn't expect and that initially soured me on Barret was his carefree attitude surrounded by all the dead miners, plus he was the first one to not be taking his world seriously, which later on is what I like about him compared to the others.

I don't think it's unreasonable for the game to check if you handled the pirates quickly and were able to prevent any miners from dying. I am pretty sure the game actually does do this at a few points, granted I didn't reload saves to check, but I remember a few lines where me destroying a bunch of ships in space and not losing allies let me intimidate through a convo. I think another time I was helping some space country people and I had some lines about not losing people or the assets there too. Wanna say had a few other little moments where they potentially acknowledge how effective/messy you were.

Anyway Barret is ultimately the good companion if you're not using introvert bonuses and it's amusing when he starts shooting enemies first and I don't because I'm just gonna click the thingy and go and afterwards he laments about seeing enough death.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Spoiler request: Do all follower companions get a Starborn power if you do their quests?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW no miners died in my first play through and one died in my second.

Also, you can go through several missions without killing anyone. More than once I was fighting various security guards or whatever in a city and I would just run past them, or, if they were in a really inconvenient spot, lift them up with the grav power

This was before I realized EM guns are non lethal, and I never ended up unequipping the first one I was given.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

You know you failed at being at open world RPG game when you have a lockpicking system, including consumable items, a skill dedicated to it, and a minigame, and you end up with 2/3 of the quest related doors as unpickable.
They truly stopped caring about being the 'go anywhere, do anything' rpg company.

Using the miner cutter to slice yourself out a hole to crawl through out of the transparent unobtanium glass windows would be cool.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
also there was that one person that was able to save the miners without firing a shot

https://i.imgur.com/zBZLdEi.gifv

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

also there was that one person that was able to save the miners without firing a shot

"Let's get the hell out of here, they got an explosive barrel gently caress that."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

moist turtleneck posted:

Oh noooooo those poor men

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

This game is so much cooler than the game I'm playing

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

]
This was before I realized EM guns are non lethal, and I never ended up unequipping the first one I was given.

you can charge the EM rifle by holding the fire button

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Should I keep doing the main quest, join a faction, or do random survey quests? I'm at the part where I just got the 4th crystal thingie. They want me to go with the Sam Cole dude.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Should I keep doing the main quest, join a faction, or do random survey quests? I'm at the part where I just got the 4th crystal thingie. They want me to go with the Sam Cole dude.

Keep doing the main quest until you have to float around and chase some sparkly things.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

victrix posted:

you can charge the EM rifle by holding the fire button

Holy crap! And this doesn't work in the normal laser weapons?

Speaking of, I'm trying to force myself to go laser this second playthrough and drat, ammo is actually a problem compared to ballistic. You can finish the the tutorial pirate base and have three hundred rounds for a semi auto grendel that will last forever, but that's not going to be experience with 3kw.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Keep doing the main quest until you have to float around and chase some sparkly things.

im roleplaying a pie-eyed space mormon who drops everything to fetch those and it's a little weird that they don't really...dole those out over the course of the story. it's like, here they all are, go gettem

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You definitely need to keep buying laser ammo, yeah.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

Ah, he found the secret Death Stranding start.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Should I keep doing the main quest, join a faction, or do random survey quests?

Either of the first two. Don't do survey quests unless they're very easy (ie lifeless planets), they quickly get extremely dull.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Keep playing the main quest until you go clubbing with Walter.

Kinda disappointed an option for a parting line as you lift off from Neon is "People killing each other, what a city" and from Walter's reaction wasn't supposed to mean "hell yeah what a cool city!"

Enigma fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 14, 2023

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
The main reason to not go laser is that the ammo is so expensive compared to bullets, it's more valuable to me as weight free money, also I'm currently level 66 and I still haven't found an Advanced Equinox. I'm rolling an Advanced Old Earth Hunting Rifle for when I'm going quiet and an Advanced Breach for when it inevitably goes loud.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

moist turtleneck posted:

That's weird, I moved all three of the explosive barrels over there and they all came out normally, wonder if its because he threw it out under the ship

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ZombyDog posted:

The main reason to not go laser is that the ammo is so expensive compared to bullets, it's more valuable to me as weight free money, also I'm currently level 66 and I still haven't found an Advanced Equinox. I'm rolling an Advanced Old Earth Hunting Rifle for when I'm going quiet and an Advanced Breach for when it inevitably goes loud.

I really like the gun feel of the semi auto Beowulf, it sounds, hits, and just feels like a dmr, and I loved it, but I intentionally went with lasers as a counterpoint this time and yeah, absolutely. I straight up couldn't afford enough 3kw ammo and ran out almost immediately, so I'm using an EON currently and trying to decide how I want to handle this, like will my character use a laser rifle but carry one bang bang pistol as a backup? Or am I going to savage my ship fund just keeping this equinox fed?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Diogines posted:

I know you can't romance him but does Vasco have a lot of dialogue like the other NASA Companions?

I don't want to stick with Sarah because she is a Square but also don't want to run through the main quest until I unlock the others.

Is there a way way to unlock the others early?

The others unlock in like, a mission or two. They're pretty much all available not long after you start looking for artifacts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

That's weird, I moved all three of the explosive barrels over there and they all came out normally, wonder if its because he threw it out under the ship

From what I heard this is actually the result of Starfield being played on a HDD instead of a SSD. The loading takes so long that the game thinks the NPCs are dead because it doesn't seem them and then it spawned them in while flying away.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I wish there was more of a reason to bother with outposts. Seems like the only benefit is automated resource collection which... like... why do you need that outside of the occasional weapon/suit modding and... you know... outpost building. It's very circular. On the other hand, it's nice to not feel any pressure to engage with it, so I guess whatever? It just feels like the only reason to build an outpost is to expand your outposts, and maybe to build the large pad with shipbuilding because it gives you solid part choices. Maybe storage, but I can do that at the lodge just fine?

Also just realized that crew capacity doesn't correspond to berths. So it feels like berths are aesthetic rather than requirements, and thus workshops and science labs seem more useful? Being able to live out of the ship is nice, but I need more cargo space.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have this bug right now, at least I found how to fix it. Let's try it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkLG1H7VqK8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Does melee always suck? Like not in terms of the fact I'm taking a billion med packs just in terms of the weapons feeling like poo poo to attack with. Skyrim wasn't this bad