Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Former Goon Celebrity Remedial became an SPC following the implosion of his law firm for defrauding people for tax aid they shouldn't have been charging for. Or something of that nature.

Since his skill set was highly specialized, and he'd lost the ability to practice law and apparently didn't want to work retail or be a paralegal, he enlisted in the Army, with both a Bachelor's and a law degree he could no longer use.

Due to debts incurred by the lawsuits against him both civil and state/federal, he'd stay below NCO forever as there's no way he'd ever get a clearance.

I can't remember if he's still in or out, but I remember he was at Fort Drum for a while.

So yeah, it certainly takes some kind of doing, but I've also known NCOs that shouldn't have become NCOs.

Wait what? Why would you not commission if you had a doctorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

Wait what? Why would you not commission if you had a doctorate.

I don't think Rem had a doctorate.

But also I think you still need a clearance to even become an LT. And there's no way Remedial would be getting one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

CainFortea posted:

But also I think you still need a clearance to even become an LT. And there's no way Remedial would be getting one.

If you're actually "practicing law" you're an attorney 99% of the time you're going to have a JD degree or Juris Doctor. Which is technically a doctorate.

There's some state specific poo poo like what Kim Karadashian is doing in Cali where you can just sit for the exam and if you pass you're now a member of the bar and can practice but that's really rare from what I've read.

Anyway I don't know of this goon saga but it seems really odd someone with a graduate degree would enlist. Maybe he was that desperate??? I don't know just strange.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bum the Sad posted:

Anyway I don't know of this goon saga but it seems really odd someone with a graduate degree would enlist. Maybe he was that desperate??? I don't know just strange.

academia somehow has worse pay, working hours, and career prospects than being enlisted, and you still have to deal with a whole new crop of idiot kids straight outta high school every year

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

Remedial was desperate, stupid, and strange so fits on all counts.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If you've ever heard mittani telling the remedial wedding story the man was career e4 mafia before ever wearing a uniform

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
:justpost:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

As I remember the pertinent details:

- The wedding dinner was KFC, leading to gastrointestinal issues for BobVII.
- They didn't have rings, so they got cheap (toy?) rings from a knick-knack store.
- Mittani was so eager to get the gently caress out of Florida (where all of this was taking place) after the glorious clusterfuck that he got two speeding tickets.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

- They didn't have rings, so they got cheap (toy?) rings from a knick-knack store.
- Mittani was so eager to get the gently caress out of Florida (where all of this was taking place) after the glorious clusterfuck that he got two speeding tickets.

That last one is completely understandable regardless of circumstances.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

All cats are pettable at least once

Big Cat Rescue in Citrus Park, FL, used to rent out these little cabins that backed up to the smaller, tamer cats' enclosures; think caracals, servals, ocelots, and (this is the important bit) bobcats.

These cabins had a large cat door that you could open so, if it wanted to, the feline could come hang out with you. If, they stressed, if it wanted to. Don't gently caress with the animal. Don't entice it, don't feed it (no food allowed in the cabin!), don't pet it unless it rubs on you and obviously wants pets. Just open the door and see what happens.

A buddy of mine, Mike, had a girlfriend that practically begged him to rent one of the cabins for a weekend. Sure, that's fine, Mike actually goes to the cat sanctuary quite often for work and knows the people there. He asks what cat ol' girl wants to see close up and she answers, "Bobcat!" Mikey pulls some strings and makes it happen.

A short description of Mike is in order. Imagine a six foot tall, 280lb. blond sasquatch. A powerlifter, with thick glasses and a flattop haircut. We've literally chained him to poo poo and had him pull it. His calves are about as big around as a basketball. An ox of a man.

Anyways, Mike and company get to the cabin and the girl goes absolutely nuts upon seeing the cat. She does everything you're not supposed to do, short of feeding the thing. High pitched squeals, tapping on the window, "Ps-Ps-Ps"-ing, just going all out trying to get the bobcat's attention.

Kitty is having none of this, but after a day he decides to come into the AC and see what's up. Cat saunters up to the bed, with Mikey sitting on the edge and Squeaky next to him, sits, and stares at Mike. While my dude is starting to feel uncomfortable, Squeaky reaches over to boop the snoot.

"No. Don't touc-", is all he got out before Kitty grabs onto Mike's leg with both paws, wrapping himself around the calf.

"Man, I didn't realize the thing would be so strong. It felt like, if it wanted to, it could have ripped the muscle all the way off the bone. It wanted me to know that, too. It grabbed hold, looked me in the eyes, pulled a bit, and I couldn't do a thing. Not didn't want to, couldn't!"

That was the end of that little adventure. Mike broke up with her later after she did the same kinda poo poo when their dogs met. She almost got bit and both dogs got bloodied.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 14, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Lest y'all think I'm denigrating the woman, Squeaky is her actual nickname.

Met her after Mike told me the cat story, as Mike and I were stocking our product at the second story Target on Dale Mabry, in Tampa. I'm done with my day and helping Mike finish his so's we can go do other poo poo, when she comes around the corner and, well, squeaks out,

"Miiieeeeeeke! Hiya!"

Yo, we both about jumped out of our skins. She kept up a little conversation with us in the aisle for a bit. How's the wife and kids, just some gentle keeping up. Even remarked upon how much I was sweating and pulled out a handkerchief to mop my brow, then told us to hang on a while and came back with two Gatorades for us to drink.

Very sweet. No respect for boundries.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 14, 2023

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Remedial had been running a "mortgage modification" service through his law firm that basically amounted to him calling lenders on behalf of his clients and saying "hey, can we renegotiate these terms? No? Ok, bye!" but he'd still keep whatever the client had paid. Plus he was doing it without a license.

When he got sued, lost, and was fined over 100k and ordered to pay back another 150k, he left the state without paying and enlisted in the Army.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

madeintaipei posted:

Just open the door and see what happens.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

Remedial had been running a "mortgage modification" service through his law firm that basically amounted to him calling lenders on behalf of his clients and saying "hey, can we renegotiate these terms? No? Ok, bye!" but he'd still keep whatever the client had paid. Plus he was doing it without a license.

When he got sued, lost, and was fined over 100k and ordered to pay back another 150k, he left the state without paying and enlisted in the Army.

lmao that's the good poo poo

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

At least he didn't escape to North Korea

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Midjack posted:

lmao that's the good poo poo

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CainFortea posted:

These days you need to be able to maintain a Secret clearance at a minimum to be in at all. Even an E-1 burger flipper, if you get your clearance revoked you're out.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Scratch Monkey posted:

I want to point out that pound for pound the deadliest cat in the world is the African black-footed cat.

The males weigh about 4 pounds and are around 20 inches long not including the tail

"I can fix domesticate her"

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Wingnut Ninja posted:

These days you need to be able to maintain a Secret clearance at a minimum to be in at all. Even an E-1 burger flipper, if you get your clearance revoked you're out.
How does that work with the non-US Filipinos that apparently end up in Navy food service? Or am I completely wrong?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
They're not classified. You can literally buy the flight manual online.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Loden Taylor posted:

And some of you think I'm the idiot for wanting to pet extinct megafauna. At least big cats are cool, defrauding the poor and working class is never cool. I'd rather die the way I lived, going "hey yall, watch this!"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jimmy Smuts posted:

How does that work with the non-US Filipinos that apparently end up in Navy food service? Or am I completely wrong?

AFAIK that program ended a long time ago.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK that program ended a long time ago.

I wonder how mad the Navy was about that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Navy can be mad all they want loving weirdos

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

madeintaipei posted:

Lest y'all think I'm denigrating the woman, Squeaky is her actual nickname.

Pictured

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Just grease her up?

Thank thank you I’ll be here all week. Please tip your waitresses.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
"It didn't go off!"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Punished Ape posted:

They're not classified. You can literally buy the flight manual online.

It wasn't just a basic flight manual. It had classified data on attack angles and poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TheWeedNumber posted:

I wonder how mad the Navy was about that.

I work with a lot of people from the Philippines and the people were pretty mad that it went away :shrug:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

bulletsponge13 posted:

It wasn't just a basic flight manual. It had classified data on attack angles and poo poo.

Angle of attacks, it’s not a tactical thing, it’s a flight characteristic thing. Basically how steeply the plane can / should / will pitch up or down.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Angle of attacks, it’s not a tactical thing, it’s a flight characteristic thing. Basically how steeply the plane can / should / will pitch up or down.

I know very little about planes, I'm just relating the articles, so feel free to ignore me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The story takes a whole new light once you realize what an awful turd of a human Mittani turned out to be.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
F-117 nightjar manual may not have been classified, but could still be ITAR. I don't know one way or the other.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You can literally buy it on the Lockheed website for $10.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bulletsponge13 posted:

I know very little about planes, I'm just relating the articles, so feel free to ignore me.

It sounds way cooler than it is. "Angle of attack" is just the angle between where the nose of the plane is pointing and the direction the plane is actually going*

Eg when landing an F-16, you want to touch down between 11 and 15 degrees. Too little and you won't slow down enough - the bigger angle creates more drag. Too much and you bang the engine nozzle on the runway.

*Yes, it's technically the relative motion of the air the plane is flying in, not simply where the plane is going, but close enough.

E: where this would be classified is probably stuff like just how much speed does the plane bleed off at what AoA and starting speed, where are the limits in terms of stalling and other "departures from controlled flight" (read: the plane is no longer flying, but falling).

This is important performance data because for the most part the bangy stuff comes out where the plane is pointing, so how well it can turn while maintaining performance is pretty sensitive.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 15, 2023

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Comedy twist: It’s the F-19 computer game manual. (Which was surprisingly detailed about evading different types of RADAR. Fly toward pulse to minimize your cross section, arc around Doppler to minimize the difference in distance.)

E: ^^ Holy poo poo so many of my Falcon 3.0 missions ended early when I bounced my engine off the runway taking off too hard.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

It sounds way cooler than it is. "Angle of attack" is just the angle between where the nose of the plane is pointing and the direction the plane is actually going*

*Yes, it's technically the relative motion of the air the plane is flying in, not simply where the plane is going, but close enough.

Whats the difference? Wind or turbulence or something?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Syncopated posted:

To be completely honest, I'm not actually completely sure of all the physics involved. But as far as I understand:

Planes go downward due to gravity, forward due to the engine, up due to lift from the wings due to moving though the air, the faster forward the more lift up. If you point a plane perfectly parallel to the ground, depending on what speed it's going there might not be enough lift to counteract gravity. Or if it accelerates hard enough, it starts to climb higher even though where it's facing (and where its engine is pointing) hasn't changed.

At least, landing a simulated F-16, you mostly change your AoA by changing your throttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Syncopated posted:

Air movement in general.

Suppose that your plane is flying straight and level in still air and suddenly you enter a massive downdraft

Your angle of attack decreases. Previously, airflow was horizontal. Now, it has an upward component. The angle between your wing and the combined horizontal/downward vector is shallower than it was against the purely horizontal airflow.