Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bikes are fairly win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Stereotype posted:

so while I personally expended a huge amount of time and effort to responsibly do something with as small a footprint as possible and put in the work to leave no trace it doesn’t matter because the news found a bunch of people who didn’t do that.

drat, good thing a bunch of people in this thread rode their bikes to work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Those people riding bikes to work are morally superior to you and it's not even close lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Idk about the fail rear end burning man guy here is my bike ops

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Stereotype posted:

so while I personally expended a huge amount of time and effort to responsibly do something with as small a footprint as possible and put in the work to leave no trace it doesn’t matter because the news found a bunch of people who didn’t do that.

you went to the massive rich white techlib cosplay event and are getting super butthurt that C-SPAM is making fun of you for it

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Idk about the fail rear end burning man guy here is my bike ops

What is this hipster poo poo?

jk I love the stem shifters and pentagram chainring protector that bike owns

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I drove to work today because I had to transport a 40lb chunk of steel from home to the office.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

What is this hipster poo poo?

jk I love the stem shifters and pentagram chainring protector that bike owns

its one of the very few bikes ive seen that has stem shifters and a good quality drivetrain which you almost never see together its sick

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

wolfs posted:

also I bought it online and despite the bicycle website saying i should be the appropriate height for it I think I'm too short
Can you stand over the top tune with your feet flat on the ground? If so, everything else can be adjusted.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I was cycling behind an adult cycling course near my house, and a car was driving on the bike / pedestrian path like 400 m from the nearest road he could legally be on.

The students took up the whole drat path and were swerving everywhere like yellowjackets, and -- while the car was at a complete stop on the bike path, waiting for all of them -- one of the students smacked WHAM right into the driver's door.

The student was unharmed, the car was not, and the sound was soooo satisfying. The guy didn't even stop or get out. He just drove off with his little lesson.

Groda has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Sep 14, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

wolfs posted:

I have a bicycle but I am very bad at riding it

also I bought it online and despite the bicycle website saying i should be the appropriate height for it I think I'm too short

I am vaguely considering buying a feet forward moped instead. I work from home but the nearest grocery is either 3 miles down a highway or 5.2 miles on rural roads.

Although - I guess cargo tricycles are a thing? And probably cost the same as a Honda whatever...

are you really too short? when I was buying my bike I thought it was too big too but the guy at the coop said basically if you can straddle the frame and your feet are flat on the ground it's the right size.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Here's mine after loading up at the farmer's market

Interviewing for a job downtown, being a bike commute guy again might be in my near future

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

eating cereal during my morning drive to the office ftw

same except I work from home. just nicer to eat while driving

mystes
May 31, 2006

Stereotype posted:

I mean it's an event that involves a zillion cars/rvs driving into the desert and leaving a complete mess that the event organizers have to spend a really long time cleaning up after, so why are you surprised that people are making fun of you if you come into this thread and start talking about how great it is? I'm sure it's fun to bike around once you are there but this is the "i hate cars" thread and it seems like a pretty carbrained event.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I love my old car too and it's fun to slowly cruise around town in it but I gotta fix the radio antenna again

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
love cars

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

I love my old car too and it's fun to slowly cruise around town in it but I gotta fix the radio antenna again
mods please change their username to forza

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

teethgrinder posted:

Can you stand over the top tune with your feet flat on the ground? If so, everything else can be adjusted.

spacemang_spliff posted:

are you really too short? when I was buying my bike I thought it was too big too but the guy at the coop said basically if you can straddle the frame and your feet are flat on the ground it's the right size.

The top bar of the frame hits me when I straddle it flat footed. I have to lean the bike to one side to avoid that happening.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Mine's an old diesel and I've got just about all I need to make some homemade biodiesel it's gonna be cool (if it works). Cars as a hobby is ftw

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

wolfs posted:

The top bar of the frame hits me when I straddle it flat footed. I have to lean the bike to one side to avoid that happening.
Yeah, if you were "expert" you could probably still make it work, but that sounds miserable if you're just starting out. You could try local FB groups, bike co-ops, and try to trade it with someone? But I'm sorry that happened to you.

Also there are some general guidelines for standard sizing, but every so often there's some brand out there that has to be a special snowflake and fits bigger or smaller than expected.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

wolfs posted:

What kind of bike is it? If it's a sweet fixie or classic style road bike with a level top tube that can still fall within "fits ok". If it's anything with a sloping top tube that's definitely too big

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

It's the smallest one of these in white https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst_steel.htm

Riding it is sort of doable, but the size issue / my inexperience riding bicycles makes starting reliably difficult. I can go around the block a few times and be fine but I'd be a liability even trying to go a few miles with like... obstacles and cars and even other cyclists.

I'm intrigued by the idea of converting it into an ebike with a push button throttle or something so I could just have the bike start going on it's own

E: looking at the website again I'm mystified the 49cm frame doesn't work for me. I'm 5' 4".

wolfs has issued a correction as of 20:12 on Sep 14, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Fortaleza posted:

Here's mine after loading up at the farmer's market

Interviewing for a job downtown, being a bike commute guy again might be in my near future

i like the wine corks

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

wolfs posted:

It's the smallest one of these in white https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst_steel.htm

Riding it is sort of doable, but the size issue / my inexperience riding bicycles makes starting reliably difficult. I can go around the block a few times and be fine but I'd be a liability even trying to go a few miles with like... obstacles and cars and even other cyclists.

I'm intrigued by the idea of converting it into an ebike with a push button throttle or something so I could just have the bike start going on it's own

E: looking at the website again I'm mystified the 49cm frame doesn't work for me. I'm 5' 4".

There are just so many variables for how well a bike can fit - you're 5'4" but how much of that is legs and how much torso? How long are your arms? How flexible are you? The suggested sizes on the company's webside are aimed at the average but it's not hard to fall outside of it.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ah. yeah a single-speed track bike is not what I would recommend for beginners, especially for commuting. I would not have a good time on such a bike in my city, even if it were the perfect fit.

wolfs posted:

looking at the website again I'm mystified the 49cm frame doesn't work for me. I'm 5' 4".

there's still a lot of leg-length / inseam variance among a group of individuals at any given height

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i would simply buy an old rigid fork mountain bike for commuting op

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

wolfs posted:

Being able to stand over the top tube with both feet flat on the ground is a rule of thumb but it's definitely not required or even possible in some cases, I don't think I could stand over my road bike top tube (5' 7" and it's a '54cm' frame). When you come to a stop you simply keep one foot on one of the pedals, slide forward off the saddle and put the other foot down on the ground by leaning the bike to the side. The only way a frame could literally be too large for you to ride at all is if you can't get the saddle down low enough to pedal without your legs going completely straight (most newbies also tend to have their saddles set too low when they start).

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I did manage to figure that out on my own - keep one foot on the pedal and slide off - but the slight upward slope of the top bar comes up to greet me if I'm not careful - and you make a good point about the seat height thing! I raised it and had an easier time the last time I practiced

My single speed / cool fixie dream isn't totally dead; it's just I live in Texas, got the bicycle in June, and then the streak of 100 degree days began. Cooler temps are starting to return, though.

Cycling infrastructure catching on in places and the worsening of traffic / parking around me makes ditching the car for all except the longest trips very appealing - but whoops, relearning how to ride a bicycle, and developing the cardio stamina after years of being pretty sedentary!, is sort of hard

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i live in texas and rode my bike all summer. just gotta stay hyrdated.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its one of the very few bikes ive seen that has stem shifters and a good quality drivetrain which you almost never see together its sick

I did a build years ago with suntour superbe downtube shifters and drivetrain. It looked like jewelry, but I could never get used to the downtube shifters and was always jonesing for a stem shift setup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

withak posted:

I drove to work today because I had to transport a 40lb chunk of steel from home to the office.

Skill issue.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i'll attach a water bottle bracket when i move past the tipping over phase

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Skill issue.

What is best practices for temporarily attaching a 6" diameter x 6" high cylinder of solid steel stock to a bicycle.

https://www.humboldtmfg.com/calibration-anvil.html

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

i live in texas and rode my bike all summer. just gotta stay hyrdated.

drive a car

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

loser poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

withak posted:

What is best practices for temporarily attaching a 6" diameter x 6" high cylinder of solid steel stock to a bicycle.

i'd just put it in the basket at the back, since it's a bit too heavy for the front one

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sometimes i do

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

fail moderator riding a bicycle in the hot texas sun when he could be driving in an ac cooled car and contributing to climate change instead

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

https://twitter.com/Honda/status/1702307487855075536?t=PT1kSxORvYKbAUk6HEX3MQ&s=19

e-motocompo...

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I rode my bike to work today just fyi everyone. It was raining a bit but now as i ride home its beautiful and perfect out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

withak posted:

LOL my loving child weighs twice that and I bike them all around the city