Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

well-read undead posted:

who makes a good running shoe these days? soles literally falling off mine (from disuse, not because i’m active)

anything with a vibram sole

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

well-read undead posted:

who makes a good running shoe these days? soles literally falling off mine (from disuse, not because i’m active)

you should go get fitted at a running store because every shoe company makes good shoes but they might not be good for you

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Well I hurt my back again deadlifting… I’ve been trying to stretch more since that injury last month and was really taking my time and focusing on my form. The strength is absolutely there, it was on my second set of 5 at 185 and I was maybe at like 70%, the first set (after a warmup set of 135 and stretching) felt good, but on rep 3 of the second set I could feel my back spasm and round out of nowhere and here we are….

Same symptoms as before, pain when it happened but my back really locked up a few hours later and now the next day I can barely bend it at all. I’m hoping recovery will be fast like before, where I have basic mobility in a day or two, but it feels like going back to square 1… even worse than square 1 really since clearly this isn’t an isolated incident where I just carelessly lost my form, this time I was really focused with a decent warmup (though I never stretch as much as I know I should)

I think this is a wake up call that I need a break from lifting. Even if I stretched more, I do almost no “dynamic” workouts anymore. I used to do boxing classes, I haven’t even ran recently (stairclimb is my new go to cardio). I basically go from zero to lifting a bunch of weight and right back to zero and maybe I’m paying for that now.

That’s my armchair assessment of my injury anyway, I’m gonna try and see someone about it but I don’t really know who to go to, I don’t have a lot of faith in my GP.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fart lick? no thank you

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ADINSX posted:

That’s my armchair assessment of my injury anyway, I’m gonna try and see someone about it but I don’t really know who to go to, I don’t have a lot of faith in my GP.

See a sports medicine doctor. They have experience with this sort of thing and are focused on keeping you able to train.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

See a sports medicine doctor. They have experience with this sort of thing and are focused on keeping you able to train.

Yeah that’s a good idea, can anyone recommend someone in the Seattle area?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

you might end up doing some physical therapy too. my wife did some of that to help out her ankle since she's got cerebral palsy and it makes her foot really tight. she's been able to return to running without much pain which is nice.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

qirex posted:

you should go get fitted at a running store because every shoe company makes good shoes but they might not be good for you

like one that has a treadmill in store. i bought some bullshit hoka's cause walking around in them felt pretty good and i ran up and down the block alright but they were terrible once i actually ran a mile in them. too much correction.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

like one that has a treadmill in store. i bought some bullshit hoka's cause walking around in them felt pretty good and i ran up and down the block alright but they were terrible once i actually ran a mile in them. too much correction.

+1 to a store with a treadmill, I like brooks in Seattle and I’ve been happy with the shoes I bought from them

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

yeah i did almost the exact same, bought a pair of hokas recently too based on all the hype and how they felt in store, and they hosed my arches up something fierce (knees felt great afterwards though). i think going from altra lone peaks straight to plush tall squishy hokas didnt help but i didnt like them at all. maybe ill use them for dog walks until they wear out and dont feel like a total waste.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KidDynamite posted:

i went with brooks instead of hokas exactly because walking on hokas felt so weird

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

theres one in seattle that will even make you a custom orthotic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the one (1) pair of real running shoes ive owned were brooks and they were great

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

ok the latest apple event has confirmed to me that I do not want to buy an apple watch just for the fitness stuff, as good as the fitness app is

do folks have a suggestion for a fitness watch that they like? Features that I would like are, I think:

- activity tracking, ideally calorie tracking and ekg stuff too
- integration with cycling computers, smart trainers/zwift, GPS stuff, etc, but without having to make me sign up for another paid app or something
- free as in freedom

e: it is possible that the only device that fits the bill is the apple watch, in which case it's at least good to know

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 12, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dijkstracula posted:

ok the latest apple event has confirmed to me that I do not want to buy an apple watch just for the fitness stuff, as good as the fitness app is

do folks have a suggestion for a fitness watch that they like? Features that I would like are, I think:

- activity tracking, ideally calorie tracking and ekg stuff too
- integration with cycling computers, smart trainers/zwift, GPS stuff, etc, but without having to make me sign up for another paid app or something
- free as in freedom

e: it is possible that the only device that fits the bill is the apple watch, in which case it's at least good to know

why did the apple event highlight to you that you dont want to own an apple watch? anyways if you want to go down a wild rabbit hole this guy does very thorough reviews of basically every fitness tracker in existence https://www.dcrainmaker.com/. i've personally heard good things about coros but havent seen a reason why id want to replace my apple watch with one yet.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

this is the part that will never be true no matter what you buy. integration = more accounts, forever

If you just want heart rate tracking I like the g-shocks with heart rate tracking but I love g-shocks overall

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dijkstracula posted:

a garmin or a fitbit? what type of question is this lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i bought a casio dw-h5600 and it is horrible for everything you listed but i kind of love it as it looks like the things that were cool when i was a kid

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

going to post the yospos-buy-a-cool-but-really-poo poo-thing thread one of these days

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

ADINSX posted:

Well I hurt my back again deadlifting… I’ve been trying to stretch more since that injury last month and was really taking my time and focusing on my form. The strength is absolutely there, it was on my second set of 5 at 185 and I was maybe at like 70%, the first set (after a warmup set of 135 and stretching) felt good, but on rep 3 of the second set I could feel my back spasm and round out of nowhere and here we are….

sorry about your back op, hope it heals quickly! is there a specific reason you’re training deadlift? maybe a different variant or exercise altogether will still target your hams without as much stress on your back. it’s an awesome exercise but it generates an insane amount of fatigue

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

post hole digger posted:

why did the apple event highlight to you that you dont want to own an apple watch? anyways if you want to go down a wild rabbit hole this guy does very thorough reviews of basically every fitness tracker in existence https://www.dcrainmaker.com/. i've personally heard good things about coros but havent seen a reason why id want to replace my apple watch with one yet.

I think basically that I hate being connected to the outside world when I'm out and about and things like "a watch that answers the phone for you and passively listens to everything you say" kept getting advertised as a feature

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

deads are great but if you’re hurting yourself repeatedly maybe dial it way back and build back up.

I dont DL every week because my back does not love it, but I’ll do rackpulls weeks I dont DL. Still gets the hams going without being as risky for the old spinal cord.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

thanks for the running shoe infos goons, gonna head to my local foot traffic and run on a treadmill like a doofus, they carry brooks and everything

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

I think basically that I hate being connected to the outside world when I'm out and about and things like "a watch that answers the phone for you and passively listens to everything you say" kept getting advertised as a feature

I thought about this a bit more and realized I couldn't actually justify this explanation to myself, so I bought the apple watch; time too close some rings

countdown until I am this guy with abs and an apple watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fl6scXVU2Q

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

you can have different notifications on the watch than on your phone and if you don’t get a cell plan for it you won’t get any alerts if you’re wearing it and leave your phone at home.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you def want the duolingo like notifications that are like teehee little piggy not want to complete his circles? HOW ABOUT YOU MAN THE gently caress UP LITTLE BUTTERCUP AND GO FOR A WALK

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Duolingo may have bullied me a lot but I did all the German lessons at one point and had a multi year streak. Anyway, gluten nacht

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
had to bail halfway through my workout today after i started getting some gnarly shoulder pain that i haven’t felt before. wasn’t even doing anything cool, just high rep db bench press with light weight. that was an hour ago and it feels pretty much fine now, so i’m guessing maybe shoulder impingement and i need to fix my form a little? i was pretty fatigued by the time i started and i was struggling to keep a consistent width between the dumbbells

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

back on my calorie tracking bullshit. trying to lose 10-15 lbs.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

HamAdams posted:

sorry about your back op, hope it heals quickly! is there a specific reason you’re training deadlift? maybe a different variant or exercise altogether will still target your hams without as much stress on your back. it’s an awesome exercise but it generates an insane amount of fatigue

Oh I’ve just been doing them for years, they’re part of my core set of lifts. I occasionally mix it up slightly like I’ll do sumo one day and I know it helps to rotate exercises more frequently but I like getting into a routine

well why not posted:

deads are great but if you’re hurting yourself repeatedly maybe dial it way back and build back up.

I dont DL every week because my back does not love it, but I’ll do rackpulls weeks I dont DL. Still gets the hams going without being as risky for the old spinal cord.

I think I’m going to avoid them entirely until I see a doctor; I’ve already backed off on the weight quite a bit, I think it’s more a nervous system thing and not a muscle thing but I really have no idea. I might do some lightweight good mornings until I can get an appointment we’ll see

And my back is feeling better thanks, the recovery was a lot like last time: much faster than I expected to feel mostly ok but lingering discomfort. This time I know something is really wrong and won’t try and return to business as usual

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

smart move, don't fool around with your back. it''s not like you have a spare.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
my knee has been bothering me so i decided to swap my normal squats out for hack squats to see if it helps and good lord my quads are fried. we’ll see how my knee feels in the morning but assuming it feels ok i might just do hack squats for the foreseeable future

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bummer: the trucker jacket i got for christmas is too big now

non-bummer: the peacoat i got in grad school fits again

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nice, wonder if my old rear end peacoat will fit again.

i'm down to under 200 finally, so i'm technically no longer obese. another 20 or 30 to go until i'm at my target.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Eeyo posted:

nice, wonder if my old rear end peacoat will fit again.

i'm down to under 200 finally, so i'm technically no longer obese. another 20 or 30 to go until i'm at my target.

:nice:

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
this week is a deload week and i know it's good to program these in, but man it feels like such a waste of time when i'm doing these lifts at such a low intensity

on the bright side, my knee feels great after swapping out back squats with the hack squat machine. friendship ended with back squat, now hack squat is my best friend

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

HamAdams posted:

this week is a deload week and i know it's good to program these in, but man it feels like such a waste of time when i'm doing these lifts at such a low intensity

on the bright side, my knee feels great after swapping out back squats with the hack squat machine. friendship ended with back squat, now hack squat is my best friend

It's good to give your body a break. I like to use those weeks for making sure my form is good, also doing more accessories.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I use a program and the deloads go down to like 1 plate, and it barely does anything for me. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the limiting factor in my deadlifts is my grip, i can't hold a bar that has enough weight to really gently caress up my back. that's why i refuse to use straps. i'm not sure if my form is perfect enough to avoid injury when my back is truly working its hardest, and i'm afraid to find out