Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Croatoan posted:

I recently had to upgrade a phone on my plan. I went on the first day of the new Go5G plans were rolled out so the rep had to keep asking questions from his manager. I had been from Sprint so I had an old "Essentials" plan so my bill used to be $165 for 4 lines plus I got in on the $25 lifetime Home Internet service.

There were 4 days left in my billing cycle. The new plan they sold me was going to be $220 + the $25 for Home internet. I went with this because it gave me $800 off the new phone and I now qualify for freebies like Netflix and Apple TV which I sub to anyway so the price increase was basically a wash. However I got a new bill and they kind of screwed me and I want to know if this is normal to do what they did?

We got a bill with a “plan change charge” of $101. We had also received $80 for trading in the old phone so this more than erased that, and this charge was never disclosed when we bought the phone and upgraded the plan.

On the bill it also showed that I had a bill of $345, not $220. The rep I spoke to tried could not explain what the charges were. Now, I know the Go5G plans were brand new but I couldn't get a clear explanation. Finally she said something that basically amounted to “we pretty much have to charge you for the old plan and the new plan for that month.” I asked to speak to someone higher hoping they might be able to explain the charge or could maybe confirm that is the policy. I was more than happy to pay a prorated difference for the higher plan for the 4 days we were on it, but they didn't prorate anything, they just charged me for a month of service for both plans. In the end, they credited $70 so we still paid $31 for basically 4 days. Which isn’t ideal but I’d been on the phone for over an hour and needed to get my kid to bed. I can see next month's bill is going to be the $220 + $25 that I expected so it's just this 4 day double billing issue.

Did I get hosed? Or did I gently caress up and that's normal? What should I do or can I even do anything?

Basically everyone sucks but their social media team, basically just post that post to T-Mobile on twitter or Facebook and they will look at it and credit you. Don't waste your time with phone support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why tf would they charge you for both are you getting double the service somehow wtf :byodood:

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I recently had to upgrade a phone on my plan. I went on the first day of the new Go5G plans were rolled out so the rep had to keep asking questions from his manager. I had been from Sprint so I had an old "Essentials" plan so my bill used to be $165 for 4 lines plus I got in on the $25 lifetime Home Internet service.

There were 4 days left in my billing cycle. The new plan they sold me was going to be $220 + the $25 for Home internet. I went with this because it gave me $800 off the new phone and I now qualify for freebies like Netflix and Apple TV which I sub to anyway so the price increase was basically a wash. However I got a new bill and they kind of screwed me and I want to know if this is normal to do what they did?

We got a bill with a “plan change charge” of $101. We had also received $80 for trading in the old phone so this more than erased that, and this charge was never disclosed when we bought the phone and upgraded the plan.

On the bill it also showed that I had a bill of $345, not $220. The rep I spoke to tried could not explain what the charges were. Now, I know the Go5G plans were brand new but I couldn't get a clear explanation. Finally she said something that basically amounted to “we pretty much have to charge you for the old plan and the new plan for that month.” I asked to speak to someone higher hoping they might be able to explain the charge or could maybe confirm that is the policy. I was more than happy to pay a prorated difference for the higher plan for the 4 days we were on it, but they didn't prorate anything, they just charged me for a month of service for both plans. In the end, they credited $70 so we still paid $31 for basically 4 days. Which isn’t ideal but I’d been on the phone for over an hour and needed to get my kid to bed. I can see next month's bill is going to be the $220 + $25 that I expected so it's just this 4 day double billing issue.

Did I get hosed? Or did I gently caress up and that's normal? What should I do or can I even do anything?

T-Mobile uses something called "Bill Current" and basically they charge you in advance for your service. Since you made the change with only a few days left in the cycle you got charged for the original rate plan you were on and the new plan as well. In theory the following month you have the actual prorated amount instead of a full bill and it evens out. It is a horrible system. Now I have not worked there since 2016 so things could have changed but that is how I remember it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Thank you guys for reading my wall of text and replying. I wasn't sure if I was taking my crazy pills or what. Sounds like they're trying to gently caress me. I'm hitting them up on Facebook now. We'll see where that gets me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well that worked like a charm! They credited me the $101 right away. Thanks guys!

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Concurred posted:

I have an LG V40 ThinQ and T-Mobile has been sending me the wrong SIM card (iPhone X, which is my nephews) and telling me to bring my phone in for a SIM swap. I bring it in to the dealer and they tell me my phone is no longer usable on the T-Mobile network, and I have to upgrade or get it replaced

When I do the IMEI check for my phone, it says it's a valid T-Mobile phone. Am I missing something?

Disclaimer: I used to do CS for AT&T so I'm not privy to T-Mobile specific policies and practices, but here's what I figure is going on:

The SIM designation is typically for the automated activation system; even though the SIMs are otherwise identical, the backend is set up to assign certain services based on the device. If the two don't match it may not work, or it may only partially activate. If that happens you usually need to call or go to a store to resolve the issue.

Why you'd get sent the wrong SIM could be due to any number of reasons. For example, swapping from an iPhone without using a new SIM might leave iPhone "features" provisioned on the backend, or if you called to request a SIM they may have simply selected the wrong one. This might also happen if upgrades are swapped around from different lines. Who knows.

None of this has any bearing on a device's network compatibility though. Assuming the device has not been IMEI blacklisted, as far as I know the only outright incompatible devices are 3G only, devices from certain foreign markets, and old CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) phones, none of which apply to you. l suspect whatever misunderstanding there may have been, it probably served as a convenient excuse to try and offer you a shiny new commission phone. Unfortunately is a pretty common misdirect, especially among authorized retailers.

Burden posted:

T-Mobile uses something called "Bill Current" and basically they charge you in advance for your service. Since you made the change with only a few days left in the cycle you got charged for the original rate plan you were on and the new plan as well. In theory the following month you have the actual prorated amount instead of a full bill and it evens out. It is a horrible system. Now I have not worked there since 2016 so things could have changed but that is how I remember it.

Pretty much every company does this, and it's just as confusing for most agents as it is for customers. Can't even count the number of times I had to explain it.

Jacobus Spades fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 10, 2023

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oof, T-Force was the one remaining good customer service option they had and it looks like while not completely dead it has been pretty significantly cut. This doesn’t bode well:

https://tmo.report/2023/06/t-mobile-suddenly-lays-off-over-two-thirds-of-their-t-force-support-staff/

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 6, 2023

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The network is finally good enough to be just a regular carrier again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Oof, T-Force was the one remaining good customer service option they had and it looks like while not completely dead it has been pretty significantly cut. This doesn’t bode well:

https://tmo.report/2023/06/t-mobile-suddenly-lays-off-over-two-thirds-of-their-t-force-support-staff/

“The changes come just a few months after the merger agreement terms expired, just as Sprint is being ended as a brand.”

Who could have ever seen this coming ?

Btw, Big Red is doing a major outsourcing too (which means ATT either already did or will soon do so too).

We had the last 5-7 years of phone price wars, but from the get go T-Mobile was pretty brazen that their goal was to capture market share and then raise prices / squeeze operations. It’s pretty sad but unsurprising that they got the merger to go through on promising “more jobs” when that never loving happens.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Qwijib0 posted:

The network is finally good enough to be just a regular carrier again.

Yup, took about 10 years to get here and now it's endgame time.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Got a text that my AutoPay discount will end next month unless I change the payment method from a credit card to a debit or bank account, probably because those fee rates are lower than credit card rates. I'm using an Amex with phone protection, which is effectively a better deal than paying T-Mobile for phone insurance: $50 deductible on up to 2 claims per year with no monthly cost. The only line I have with an AutoPay discount is a Home Internet $5 bonus, so losing that to get points and $0/mo insurance on the entire account is an easy call.

As a bit of context for cell phone insurance: T-Mobile moving to in house insurance (instead of using a 3rd party) was enough profit to offset all the other shipment/warranty/repair department expenses, affirming that cell phone insurance is a great deal for the company offering it, which means customers are paying in a lot more than they get back.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

heffray posted:

Got a text that my AutoPay discount will end next month unless I change the payment method from a credit card to a debit or bank account, probably because those fee rates are lower than credit card rates. I'm using an Amex with phone protection, which is effectively a better deal than paying T-Mobile for phone insurance: $50 deductible on up to 2 claims per year with no monthly cost. The only line I have with an AutoPay discount is a Home Internet $5 bonus, so losing that to get points and $0/mo insurance on the entire account is an easy call.

As a bit of context for cell phone insurance: T-Mobile moving to in house insurance (instead of using a 3rd party) was enough profit to offset all the other shipment/warranty/repair department expenses, affirming that cell phone insurance is a great deal for the company offering it, which means customers are paying in a lot more than they get back.

All I will say if you are understating it to say the least.

I don’t know all the ins and outs, but the one thing Sprint had was a robust repair and warranty department, so it is possible that helped them in the merger. Could or could not be relevant (your point is correct either way).

It really sucks but also really unsurprising to see T-Mobile start making a lot of anti consumer moves in the immediate months after they cleared the restrictions time frame of the Sprint merger. It’s incredible they got the merger pushed through on the concepts of “it’ll be better for customers” and “Dish will film in the slot of a 4th carrier,” both of which were blatant and obvious lies.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Anyone else still holding on to the old Sprint Kickstarter plan? I pay like $25 for unlimited everything. Holding on to this one.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Queer Grenadier posted:

Anyone else still holding on to the old Sprint Kickstarter plan? I pay like $25 for unlimited everything. Holding on to this one.

Same here. I got in during the week where they were offering it for $15/mo and I got in on the free line offer they accidentally opened to KSv1 accounts, so it's actually $7.50/mo/line. Never giving this up :c00l:

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Mr.Radar posted:

Same here. I got in during the week where they were offering it for $15/mo and I got in on the free line offer they accidentally opened to KSv1 accounts, so it's actually $7.50/mo/line. Never giving this up :c00l:

WOW! Even better.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My Pixel 4a has developed a dead band in the touchscreen. I see that T-Mobile is offering $250 for a trade-in for it, could this issue with the touchscreen effect this? It turns on / holds a charge / no visible damage, etc.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

My Pixel 4a has developed a dead band in the touchscreen. I see that T-Mobile is offering $250 for a trade-in for it, could this issue with the touchscreen effect this? It turns on / holds a charge / no visible damage, etc.

It's honestly a bit of a gamble there, I've never had a device rejected and don't know how thoroughly they check devices but they will ask you the condition up front and bad touch screen doesn't technically fall into any of their existing categories. The full trade in terms and conditions site looks like it's down right now, but at a glance that seems like it would be fine.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Well I came in here to ask about hotspot plan coverage/performance since I want to add one, but given the posts on this page I'm starting to think about moving to another carrier lol

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

indigi posted:

Well I came in here to ask about hotspot plan coverage/performance since I want to add one, but given the posts on this page I'm starting to think about moving to another carrier lol

Eh, I think they definitely are less interested in trying to be nice to customers now that they have all that spectrum but I have enough grandfathered discounts and free lines that moving would be tricky.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm on a Magenta 55 plan and am thinking of upgrading to the iphone 15 pro and T-Mob is offering $1000 trade in for my 13pro but only if I switch to the Go5G Max plan, but the site won't tell me how much that costs just "call us". Anyone have any info about the plan costs so I don't have to talk to someone who's going to get me to change? I just want to see numbers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm on a Magenta 55 plan and am thinking of upgrading to the iphone 15 pro and T-Mob is offering $1000 trade in for my 13pro but only if I switch to the Go5G Max plan, but the site won't tell me how much that costs just "call us". Anyone have any info about the plan costs so I don't have to talk to someone who's going to get me to change? I just want to see numbers.

You don't see prices here?
https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans

Or do you have more than 5 lines?

edit: The Go5g Next plan is $180 for 3 lines and then $45 for every line after that. You can probably calculate your costs that way.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 12, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have one phone and then my apple watch is added as well. I have an extra number that t-mob gave to me as well that I assume works like Google Voice, but I've never used it. Since I'm over 55 I get a discount as well.

Thanks for that link, whenever I tried to find more info it was just talking about upgrading and to 'call in'. I have to find out how much extra it would be to upgrade from Magenta 55 to a Go5G of one kind or another AND keep the cell plan on the watch- I only really use it when I go on long walks and would rather just listen to podcasts/music through my earphones without carrying my phone around. AND get the $1000 value trade in for my iphone 13 Pro. But Apple's website says the $1k credit only works if you get the Go5G Plus plan.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Also, if you have costcos in your area go to the t-mobile kiosks. tmo charges an insane 30 dollars for e-sim transfers like they're sim cards and is waved inside.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Should I even bother looking at a trade-in deal for the iPhone 15 Pro with my simple choice plan?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm also on a simple choice from eons ago but it looks like the new base go5g is actually a bit cheaper for me since I'm still paying for hotspot as an addon and all modern plans include it (with more data). Magenta and One plans didn't work out cheaper, so this is an exciting development

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

I'm also on a simple choice from eons ago but it looks like the new base go5g is actually a bit cheaper for me since I'm still paying for hotspot as an addon and all modern plans include it (with more data). Magenta and One plans didn't work out cheaper, so this is an exciting development

Will need to look at that. I have 5 phones plus two tablets for ~$120 so not sure it'll compete.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh, ha-- I've got just one line, so my situation is much less complex :haw:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I had to call. I think it ended up costing me $10 more a month to go from Magenta MAX to Go5G Plus.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

But Apple's website says the $1k credit only works if you get the Go5G Plus plan.
Definitely crunch the numbers, especially if you're on a 55+ plan already. In my case it seems like going from MAX to Go5G Plus was okay to get like $3600 in trade-in credit. They were super helpful when I called and will have no problem leaving on your current plan if the cost difference is too extreme. Also all the line promos from Magenta (I have two free lines, IIRC) carried over to Go5G.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm terrified of the 5-hours call to support to answer this question, so I'll put it here instead.

I've got 5 lines on ATT. 3 are paid off and 2 have payments ($360 and $440) left on them. I hate how ATT agreements are 3 years, while the other carriers are only 2 years. T-mobile also seems to have way more generous trade-in values when purchasing a new phone as well.

I get a work discount on ATT, and recently found out that I now get a T-mobile discount with the following text:

quote:

Break free from 3-year phone contracts. Because of where you work, save 15% on Go5G Plus or Go5G Next plans and be upgrade ready as soon as every year. That’s a savings of over $450/yr. Plus, unlock $270 worth of benefits every month included like Unlimited Premium Data, Apple TV+, Netflix, 50GB hotspot, in-flight texting and WiFi, 1-year AAA membership, high-speed data in 215+ countries, and free stuff every week with T-Mobile Tuesdays - all with taxes and fees included.

I'm looking at this, where it says they'll pay off the remaining balance of up to 2 phones. Am I reading this correct that they'll pay off my $360 and $440 balances?
https://www.t-mobile.com/switch/pay-off-carrier-etf-phone-deal

How big of a colossal pain in the rear end would it be to switch all 5 of my lines to T-mobile? They're all using physical SIMs, all locked to ATT (3 are technically unlockable since they're paid off), and I have one kid who lives the next state over going to college.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have never been so confused about the value of my phone for a trade in promotion in my life. Thanks T-Mobile.

If I'm reading this correctly. They want me to upgrade to a new plan that costs $150/mo or $1,200 more over 2 years. Me and my wife would then get $1,400 trade in value on our phones to get new phones.

Or I can just keep my current plan at $100/mo and get a $950 trade in value.

If my math is right, it actually costs us $750 more over 2 years to trade in with the new plan.

Guess I won't be doing anything, and probably keeping my plan until the day I'm forced to add a 3rd line for my kid

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm paying about $200 a month for three phones with unlimited bandwidth, is this a good deal or should I be calling them to change it? I think I was grandfathered in with an older plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

I'm paying about $200 a month for three phones with unlimited bandwidth, is this a good deal or should I be calling them to change it? I think I was grandfathered in with an older plan.

Hard to say without knowing details on what is adding to that $200 (like do you have phones on payment plans, insurance, etc?).

I don’t know T-Mobile plans, but Verizon 3 lines true unlimited is $165 before tax, $180 after tax, so I would def check on your plan.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have t-mobile 55+ and get three unlimited lines for $105 incl taxes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Simple choice, 5 voice 2 tablets for $120. Not touching a GD thing with my plan

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Remember when TMob's base plans were $50/mo? That was nice. :smith:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I had to call. I think it ended up costing me $10 more a month to go from Magenta MAX to Go5G Plus.

Definitely crunch the numbers, especially if you're on a 55+ plan already. In my case it seems like going from MAX to Go5G Plus was okay to get like $3600 in trade-in credit. They were super helpful when I called and will have no problem leaving on your current plan if the cost difference is too extreme. Also all the line promos from Magenta (I have two free lines, IIRC) carried over to Go5G.

Thanks much! Honestly it looks like maybe my plan would go from $70/month to either $75 or $80. At least there is SOME advantage of being over 55 :corsair:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Simple choice, 5 voice 2 tablets for $120. Not touching a GD thing with my plan

Yup. Same with my one plan (i've got data kickback too). We ain't ever getting the discounts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anything better than the magenta max military plan? Paying $117/mo for two lines and two apple watches.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got an old One plan as well when I finally ditched AT&T and man it stings not getting any good trade in offers but I'm also too lazy to figure out if the math works out by jumping to something like whatever the new plans are (Go5G?) ditching my netflix/appletv subs for the ones included and get juicier trade-in offers. I could also figure out if it's worth consolidating accounts between my family and fiances and maybe we can all get a better deal together (on a 65+ account or something).

I currently pay $66 for a line + apple watch and it's nice but the best device offers are whatever Apple has going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Called in and changed my plan from Magenta Max 55 to Go5G Plus 55 and was able to get the $1000 trade in for my 13 Pro to get the 15 Pro. Only one minor hiccup when I realized that I have my billing address as my work address (I chose that because someone can always get deliveries there as opposed to my home) and my card's billing address is my home address.

Apparently I'll be getting the phone on the 22nd, let's hope that actually holds true.

Do they send a box for you to mail your old phone to T-Mob? I've only gotten iPhones directly from Apple before and never traded in to my carrier.