Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I was so distracted by Hayden’s accent in this episode. He just sounded so very Canadian to me. I kept expecting him to bust out a “gently caress you, Shoresy!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I was so distracted by Hayden’s accent in this episode. He just sounded so very Canadian to me. I kept expecting him to bust out a “gently caress you, Shoresy!”

Probably because Hayden IS Canadian

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Take a fukken hike Ahsoka.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Baylan slaughtered a starship full of people so he could rescue someone who wanted to start a war, a conflict which he considers necessary.

I'm not complaining that she bought into his framing of her past but I don't think his analysis holds up to real scrutiny.
Baylan maybe hypocritical, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong about Ahsoka - and of course, he still frames his own actions as causing destruction as necessary to create something new, whereas he depicts Ahsoka as being responsible for destruction only. Apart from that, he was still talking to Ahsoka in a civilised manner and after taking her out of the fight proved to be both reasonable and honourable (to some degree) by making a deal with Sabine. Ahsoka did not explore her options beyond "he's in the way so I must defeat him in combat".

NowonSA posted:

There's also ready-loaded extra-galactic major threat from the EU/Legends material that they could load up that galaxy with and create a major antagonist for the traditional Star Wars Galaxy at basically any time in the Star Wars timeline. If they make that a thing and just briefly tease that situation before jumping the hell out of there, that'd fully make my book fan heart soar.
I will disavow all chronologically subsequent Star Wars projects if they canonise the loving Yuuzhan goddamned Vong.

M_Gargantua posted:

Also Revan has been in 3000 years of hypersleep in this new place and we're getting KOTOR 3 as a TV show
Now this I can get behind.

Lobok posted:

The weird thing was Jacen appearing right after. If you are going to do titillation don't immediately follow it with a buzzkill.
Oh they're just trying to max out the MILF factor.

Gonz posted:

Hayden Christensen, 20 years after the fact, remains obscenely skilled with regards to lightsaber combat choreography.
Stylistically his fighting seemed really diverse as well, I liked it a lot.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Gonz posted:

Hayden Christensen, 20 years after the fact, remains obscenely skilled with regards to lightsaber combat choreography.

I mean, goddamn.

For reals, just a joy to watch him whip that thing around, it made me want to see more of him and the kid having (grim, harrowing battlefield) adventures, they were great together.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So weird seeing TCW translated to live-action

The hair is what keeps really throwing me off

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 14, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's insane how they nailed young Ahsoka with this actress. Like, nearly perfect. Holy poo poo.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't know if disney can really do the yuuzhan vong, if they worked at all (highly arguable) it was by being so ridiculously grimdark and miserable on such a massive scale and getting so many devastating Ws on the heroes that beating them in the end was satisfying.

I don't really sense the will and leeway to pitch star wars into space vietnam for years that random late 90s/early aughts sci fi hacks were given, for some reason

Yuuzhan Vong were more like space WW2 on the eastern front. I wouldn't be against a Star Wars take on Come and See, but not from Filoni.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

Phylodox posted:

I think he was also trying to sound like Matt Lanter (and doing surprisingly well at it), which is also kind of funny since Lanter's voice direction on TCW was basically "don't talk like Hayden Christensen"

Zellus fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 14, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's crazy to me that we saw Hayden Christensen as Clone Wars animated era Anakin Skywalker.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AndyElusive posted:

It's crazy to me that we saw Hayden Christensen as Clone Wars animated era Anakin Skywalker.

We should've seen him in the Kenobi show with Clone Wars animated era Obi-Wan :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Come to think of it, I wonder whats in those chest pouches. Tools?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Breadsticks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

teagone posted:

We should've seen him in the Kenobi show with Clone Wars animated era Obi-Wan :argh:

OWK really should've been Old Ben reminiscing about days gone by so Ewan could've dressed up in his General gear

The Star Wars: Obi-Wan - A Jedi's Purpose (or Star Wars: Obi-Wan 1-5 for its individual comics) comic mini-series was fantastic in that regard

Highly recommend giving it a read

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ammo clips, rations, first aid, drugs... probably whatever he thinks a mission may need
Don't remember if we ever see him open them though

Gangringo posted:

Breadsticks.
:hmmyes:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't need the purpose of the stormtroopers' belt pouches explained, but just once I'd like to see someone take a ration bar or whatever out of them. How often has that happened onscreen?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Extra lightsabers for his impetuous Jedi commander and general

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, in terms of Hayden sounding different it's about 5% age and 95% no longer suppressing his accent.

Gonz posted:

I mean, goddamn.

I can't say whether making regular actors get incredibly skilled at fight choreography is a worthy use of a production's time, but especially now when the Disney-a-tron 5000 can clumsily paste people's faces onto each other, it's really neat to get the actors actually hitting each other with sticks. The worst lightsaber fight in the series is by far Yoda and the Emperor in ROTS, both because it's completely unnecessary and because it's the least grounded in actual performers.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How important is watching Rebels to watching Ahsoka? I've seen a good portion of Clone Wars, and am currently catching up with the Mandalorian.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How important is watching Rebels to watching Ahsoka? I've seen a good portion of Clone Wars, and am currently catching up with the Mandalorian.

Ahsoka is literally a direct sequel picking up where Rebels left off and stars many of the same characters

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't need the purpose of the stormtroopers' belt pouches explained, but just once I'd like to see someone take a ration bar or whatever out of them. How often has that happened onscreen?

Luke Skywalker literally takes a rope and grapple out of his stormtrooper belt when he and Leia swing across the chasm on the Death Star in the very first Star Wars movie.

edit: he doesn't eat it, but he does take something useful out of the belt.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 14, 2023

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Vintersorg posted:

Take a fukken hike Ahsoka.

Anakin: "Good job leading those clones in battle. . . wanna have a dart?"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, in terms of Hayden sounding different it's about 5% age and 95% no longer suppressing his accent.

Just makes me wish he’d sounded like that all along.

“Ey, Dooku, yer fuckin’ spare parts ‘ere ain’tcha, bud?”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm not the first person to make this observation, but while the flashback/Hayden stuff was cool in vacuum, I don't really understand what's being resolved for Ahsoka, and so far I see very little discernible difference between Ahsoka the White and Ahsoka of the First 4.5 Episodes.

I also found myself wondering how Ahsoka or Hera hear anything with such heavy headgear covering their ears. Are their ears canonically somewhere other than the sides of their heads? Both look like they're ready to go to the firing range.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 14, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

Those guys in the Mandalorian talking about red vs yellow, Leia sharing a Nutty Buddy with an Ewok, Yoda stealing another Nutty Buddy from Luke, and (presumably) Rey's insta-muffin are all the rations I can think of

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Larryb posted:

Ahsoka is literally a direct sequel picking up where Rebels left off and stars many of the same characters

Pretend for a moment you’ve never seen a single of the of the cartoons. You don’t even know they exist because you’re not a die hard Star Wars fan who lives for the lore

If you watch the trailers none of it says it’s a sequel to the cartoon Disney show rebels. The only reason you know that is you know the cartoons. So can we drop this.

This show should be able stand on its own and it really doesn’t imO

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AndyElusive posted:

Luke Skywalker literally takes a rope and grapple out of his stormtrooper belt when he and Leia swing across the chasm on the Death Star in the very first Star Wars movie.
That's true, but Luke's belt is like a real belt; you can see the snaps on his leather pouches. In ROTJ, he upgrades his brown belt pouch to the cell phone holster my dad used to wear. I want to know what's hiding in those featureless white boxes, and how to get at 'em.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CelticPredator posted:

Pretend for a moment you’ve never seen a single of the of the cartoons. You don’t even know they exist because you’re not a die hard Star Wars fan who lives for the lore

If you watch the trailers none of it says it’s a sequel to the cartoon Disney show rebels. The only reason you know that is you know the cartoons. So can we drop this.

This show should be able stand on its own and it really doesn’t imO

Okay?

That person was asking a question because they are familiar with the cartoons and want to know if they should finish watching them and Mando before watching Ahsoka, and then got given right answer?

Why are you so mad at that answer lol.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mad no, annoyed yeah. I’ve just seen that post so many times and I wish it would stop. The show should be able to stand on its own and it’s really frustrating that some of the criticism gets thrown out for people to say “it’s a sequel your fault for not watching the cartoons!”

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It does stand on it's own, I hope that helps.

My GF hasn't watched a single episode of Rebels and the show did a good job of explaining who everyone is and was and why they're important and why she should care about them.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

General Dog posted:

I'm not the first person to make this observation, but while the flashback/Hayden stuff was cool in vacuum, I don't really understand what's being resolved for Ahsoka, and so far I see very little discernible difference between Ahsoka the White and Ahsoka of the First 4.5 Episodes.
I get the impression most people believe it's basically about her coming to terms with her past and choosing to open herself up to the universe at large again. As I argued earlier, though, I view it as her realising she can be someone else than the eternal child soldier turned jaded veteran whose life exclusively revolves around doing battle, and that her legacy does not need to be one of death and destruction as Baylan claimed.

As for the difference between pre- and post-flashback Ahsoka, I don't mean to be pedantic, but all we've seen her do since donning a white poncho is wake up, hug a kid and telepathically communicate with a titanic space whale in the span of maybe 10 minutes of screentime. I think it's a little early to draw any conclusions here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn’t for me but that’s fair.

I can take that back but I’d like to not see the “it was advertised” “it was marketed” argument made against because it wasn’t really if you just watch the trailers.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

My GF hasn't watched a single episode of Rebels and the show did a good job of explaining who everyone is and was and why they're important and why she should care about them.

I don't completely disagree, except for ezra. Most of the show over I still haven't really been given a reason to give a poo poo about him or think saving him would have any effect on anything except maybe making sabine less depressed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

General Dog posted:

I also found myself wondering how Ahsoka or Hera hear anything with such heavy headgear covering their ears. Are their ears canonically somewhere other than the sides of their heads? Both look like they're ready to go to the firing range.

This is a good explanation of what's being resolved (warning full of Rebels and Clone Wars spoilers)

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1702420039570473388

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't completely disagree, except for ezra. Most of the show over I still haven't really been given a reason to give a poo poo about him or think saving him would have any effect on anything except maybe making sabine less depressed

Ya, she figured early that Ezra was maybe Sabines boyfriend but she see's now that he's more like a little brother or something, but she understands that he was pivotal to saving the planet they're on at the start of the show and that he's responsible for getting rid of the bad guy everyone is trying to find.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Sombrerotron posted:

As for the difference between pre- and post-flashback Ahsoka, I don't mean to be pedantic, but all we've seen her do since donning a white poncho is wake up, hug a kid and telepathically communicate with a titanic space whale in the span of maybe 10 minutes of screentime. I think it's a little early to draw any conclusions here.
We’ve already seen her admit almost cheerfully to Huyang that she has no idea whether this Purrgil-enabled journey is going to work out the way they want it to, which I don’t think I could have pictured the old Ahsoka saying/doing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Personally I just don't think disney marketing can or should be allowed to set the parameters for "legitimate" criticism of a thing. Someone said the other day by way of analogy it would be ridiculous to criticize return of the king without watching the previous two films. But would it really?

A critical view that looks at a single movie in a trilogy in a vacuum can have value too, maybe bring some interesting perspectives, and I think most people would be able to see good qualities in it even not having the full context

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
So far, if anything, the Clone Wars show seems more important to understanding what's going on in Ahsoka. 2 of the 3 main characters are in it while Ahsoka is barely in Rebels.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

CelticPredator posted:

It doesn’t for me but that’s fair.

I can take that back but I’d like to not see the “it was advertised” “it was marketed” argument made against because it wasn’t really if you just watch the trailers.

Nobody has ever said those phrases you put in quotes. It is objectively a continuation of the plot and characters from Rebels. That’s all anyone has ever said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yeah they have. The depiction of Jedi as an oppressed race being persecuted by the fascists is unique to the Obiwan show. In the Lucas films Jedi were just a paramilitary cult, that got taken out because they posed a political threat to the Empire.

Baby Yoda is arguable because he's doing poo poo like lifting rhinoceroses and healing wounds at a mental age of five. But he's actually probably had over a decade of Jedi training, so that's fine enough. Less so with Rey Palpatine spontaneously acheiving telekinesis and mind-tricks over the course of a weekend.
Yeah but Rey has force psychometry which is kind of a cheat sheet to learning things fast