Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Some possible good news

https://twitter.com/kieranpandrews/status/1702383322440069239?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i don't think that's good news. i think that's just a different kind of bad news

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is Britain. Bad news is the only news we have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

Accidentally clicked on the wrong place on YouTube and watched some talk with a gormless idiot called Ant Middleton who thought the pandemic was a fad.

Oh he's the jacked beardy guy who wrote some books I had to put out on shelf, and who I thought was ant from ant and dec who had had a bit of a turn and decided to become a burly lifestyle coach.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i don't think that's good news. i think that's just a different kind of bad news

A hung parliament with Keith forced to concede some ground and offer some real change is about the best option we have

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Oh he's the jacked beardy guy who wrote some books I had to put out on shelf, and who I thought was ant from ant and dec who had had a bit of a turn and decided to become a burly lifestyle coach.

If his books are anything like him answering a very simple question then they have 300 more pages than they need. He took 6 minutes where 40 seconds would have done. Kept on talking some bollocks about cancel culture and being true to yourself being the only way to live. Sounded like a smug prick.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

This is Britain. Bad news is the only news we have.
Even The Mirror has gone fashy.

https://twitter.com/BeckettUnite/status/1702211471969599874

Starving kids? Get 'em up against the wall!

OwlFancier posted:

I'm amazed he doesn't appear to have said anything overtly transphobic. There's a 99% overlap between 'I'm a lifestyle coach', 'pandemic was a fad', and transphobia brain. It's basic biolabs.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

smellmycheese posted:

A hung parliament with Keith forced to concede some ground and offer some real change is about the best option we have

i do not see him conceding ground to the left in this instance but i'd like to be wrong

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Testro posted:

I know quite a few people who recovered in the 3-10 day timeline.

But this statement from the nurse is so saddening.

For some people it might seem as mild as a cold on the surface.

For others, it's life destroying. I legitimately lost a year of my life (and counting) and my good health, all for a day in the office.

The nurse and their ilk assume that it's just like a cold, because that's the experience of the people they're running into. The ones who've had their lives stuffed are struggling to leave the house, and are pretty much forgotten.

Just don't overdo it and rest far more than you think. I became sick and just didn't recover which is fairly unusual for long covid, but the long covid spaces online are filled with people who had a seemingly mild case, exerted too hard a few weeks later, and triggered long covid wiping them out for months/years. That's what differentiates it for me from a cold.

So seriously mate, rest as much as you can, for much longer than you think.

Cheers for that (as well as what everyone else said). It's a desk job I've got but just trying to read a few emails this morning had me feeling dizzy. My right arm feels weak just now too which is weird, but all in all, it's pointing to me not being well enough.

We've had colds and flu on and off for the last year because our son is in nursery and my wife is convinced we must have had covid already. I'm pretty sure we haven't because this just feels different to the usual cold/flu.

That's just a hatchet job to try and make people vote Labour in Scotland (as most of the comments on that tweet are saying). Unless it's a knife-edge in England, the way Scotland votes doesn't matter for a Westminster government.

Right now it seems like most of England hate the Tories, so Scotland could vote 100% SNP and Labour would still have a majority and change nothing.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It won’t be a hung parliament

cos I won’t be in it :mmmhmm:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/twt_now/status/1702406355879862448

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Best thing would be Tories taking such a drubbing that Labour get SNP as official opposition.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I'm amazed he doesn't appear to have said anything overtly transphobic. There's a 99% overlap between 'I'm a lifestyle coach', 'pandemic was a fad', and transphobia brain. It's basic biolabs.

To be honest he said "fads" but just named one. I'm sure if you watch the full interview (don't watch the full interview) he'll say something transphobic.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
he's the sas guy that got a telly career then went mental over something wrong he did, can't remember. A killer glinner

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Kin posted:

Right now it seems like most of England hate the Tories, so Scotland could vote 100% SNP and Labour would still have a majority and change nothing.

Not trying to tell you who to vote for (I am back in Scotland and will certainly not be voting Labour or SNP) but it will be nigh on impossible for Labour to get a majority without a significant Scottish contingent.

They don't have the resources or the pull. Your talking about huge swings not really seen outside of by-elections.

Edit: Sorry to hear about your illness. Skimmed over your post a bit. My son's Godfather has it and it's a nightmare.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 14, 2023

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Currently laid extremely low by the case of COVID I brought back from Scotland earlier this week. Much much worse than the one I had a year ago, which was done with in one feverish night, I feel properly poorly. My wife left a care package at the top of the stairs, tea, a kettle, things to clean up with and antivirals. Sadly no rich tea, which don’t exist in this godforsaken country.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1702426998771954085

I want to get off this timeline...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 14, 2023

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

sent off an email to grab a TWT23 ticket, fingers crossed :toot:

I'll hound you goons closer to the date if you're going and wanna meet up

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

The red as in red coats was apparently because rose madder was the cheapest reliable dye around during the early days of "everyone wears the same colour instead of come as you are."

But the vegetable dyes break down a lot quicker, so the red coat would become brown and oxidized in wet conditions and pinkish in heat and direct sunlight, and as this was at the height of loving about in hot places some regiments just went "pink is a war colour."

More this kind of pink

than the kind of neon Barbie pink that gets assumed when people say "pink was a boy's colour."

Sort of. Before the New Model each regiments colonel would supply their own uniform (jacket only).Scots being the exception because too poor to have enough magnates funding their own regiments so they get state issued hodden grey and blue bonnets.

Flashie meanwhile there is in the 11th Hussars, the Cherry pickers and should properly be in red trousers.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 14, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It's why the concept of wilderness feels so foreign to so many people here. You look at stuff in the US (since we consume so much US media) and there are massive open areas that might have 'an owner' but you know there's nobody that ever goes there or does anything with it.

I am glad to have had the Scottish highlands in my life since it feels like the closest we get.

sometimes when I am reading this thread I forget that i live in a state that is five times the size of England

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Zalakwe posted:

Not trying to tell you who to vote for (I am back in Scotland and will certainly not be voting Labour or SNP) but it will be nigh on impossible for Labour to get a majority without a significant Scottish contingent.

They don't have the resources or the pull. Your talking about huge swings not really seen outside of by-elections.

labour certainly has the polling figures at the moment to get a majority well over 59 seats, so it's not out of the question so long as keir doesn't find a way to gently caress it. which he might do

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Flashie meanwhile there is in the 11th Hussars, the Cherry pickers and should properly be in red trousers.
His legendary pink trousers were the first thing that came to mind with "madder fades to pink or brown", but yeah by that time they were using better dyes, so that was probably more Flashman doing whatever he wants than sun fade.

I did manage to find someone who'd done a bunch of actual 18th c. style maddering, that gives a range of what private soldiers, officers, and badly dyed/faded/oxidized would probably be like.

My guess is that with Georgian high class tailoring drawing heavily from trends in martial tailoring there'd be an obvious temptation to make pink boys clothes, because they already knew how to do that by accident anyway, but it's going to be that kind of salmony/peachy pink you still see in men's clothing rather than what always comes up with "pink was boy's colour" memes.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Angepain posted:

labour certainly has the polling figures at the moment to get a majority well over 59 seats, so it's not out of the question so long as keir doesn't find a way to gently caress it. which he might do

That lead is mad soft.

It's inflated by a lot of previous Tory voters saying they are not certain to vote because they're pissed off. Obviously a lot can happen but if I was a betting man I think it's likely that on the day those Tories show up.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Zalakwe posted:

That lead is mad soft.

It's inflated by a lot of previous Tory voters saying they are not certain to vote because they're pissed off. Obviously a lot can happen but if I was a betting man I think it's likely that on the day those Tories show up.

Tories have a deep sense of shame and when polled they tend to say they won't vote tory. We call this the "shy tory" effect but that is very generous wording. Shy is being scared of asking your beau out, not being insecure about being evil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shy_Tory_factor

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

Obviously a lot can happen but if I was a betting man I think it's likely that on the day those Tories show up.
Depends if they can be galvanized to hold their nose and vote Tory through all the papers shouting "Keir Starmer will house 120,000 immigrants in your home!"

Sunak isn't popular among the people who view him as too soft, too rich, too globalist, too out of touch, or just too Asian. Johnson united the racists and the people who didn't look past his act, I doubt Sunak will.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Place your bets….

https://twitter.com/tvukzone/status/1702421992056754217?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Edit - apparently linked to this

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 14, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Depends if they can be galvanized to hold their nose and vote Tory through all the papers shouting "Keir Starmer will house 120,000 immigrants in your home!"

Sunak isn't popular among the people who view him as too soft, too rich, too globalist, too out of touch, or just too Asian. Johnson united the racists and the people who didn't look past his act, I doubt Sunak will.

If the fascists find solidarity globally we are hosed, there are hundreds of millions of fascist Indians like Sunak. They aren't just bigoted against non-hindus, they aren't just bigoted against hindus in the other castes, they are bigoted against people in their own caste and religion and race, who aren't the right sub-caste. It's like fractal racism mixed in with inbreeding.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 14, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I'm not being racist I'm Indian.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a whole new front? what does that mean?

like now dogs are sexist?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah seriously Indian fascism is loving *potent*. British fascists are pathetic in comparison in 2023.

Except those in government I might add.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bessantj posted:

If his books are anything like him answering a very simple question then they have 300 more pages than they need. He took 6 minutes where 40 seconds would have done. Kept on talking some bollocks about cancel culture and being true to yourself being the only way to live. Sounded like a smug prick.

isn't he one of the ex-SAS lot? I expect he has some extremely normal opinions on foreigners

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Best thing would be Tories taking such a drubbing that Labour get SNP as official opposition.

If that happens then anyone who is still even vaguely left wing in the PLP will be kicked out of the party. At that point Britain is finished.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can see it making Labour the right wing unionist party that they long to be, but maybe that's the start of something actually new rather than the eternal Jess Phillips Dynasty.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of the SAS, Matt Wanksock is on SAS:Who Dares Wins

I've seen him being quoted as saying "it's the hardest thing I've done", so it sounds like filming is over and he's sadly survived the ordeal. Ah well. I guess he's going to get his humiliation fetish catered for yet again

e: Wait, he's STILL an MP? I thought he resigned ages ago, long before the last wave of Tory resignations.... Maybe I just assumed that he did, because <points at everything>?

https://twitter.com/Lance63/status/1702444208257163617

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 14, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

isn't he one of the ex-SAS lot? I expect he has some extremely normal opinions on foreigners

you know poo poo about these people

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Don't forget the Tory party members electes Liz Truss as their leader and she got booted out by MPs in 42 days.

Despite the fact Sunak is very economically right wing he's not popular even among the people raving about tax cuts.

The Labour vote will drop as we get closer and closer to the election and people pay more attention to Labour offering gently caress-all, and the Tory vote slightly rise. But Sunak doesn't have a story to sell like Johnson did. It's just going to be 2019 in reverse - Tory vote collapses, Labour vote stays the same, Starmer hailed as a electoral genius for events unrelated to him destroying his opposition.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
if the SNP end up as the official opposition that means Labour have got ~500 seats which means Keith as God-Emperor for the rest of time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 1906 election wasn't a million miles away from the Irish Parliamentary Party having more seats than the Tories, with a massive landslide for the Liberals, who would continue to dominate 20th century politics and remain relevant today under popular and charismatic leader Ed Davey.

I think that kind of domination would lead to more like "10 years of more Blairite poo poo followed by a brand new party as people get tired of it" than God-Emperor Keith.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah seriously Indian fascism is loving *potent*. British fascists are pathetic in comparison in 2023.

Except those in government I might add.

Hopefully we don't end up with another Germany + Japan thing going on where they all start allying with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

If that happens then anyone who is still even vaguely left wing in the PLP will be kicked out of the party. At that point Britain is finished.

I've got some bad news about Britain's future...