Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

that rules

Suplex Liberace posted:

I rode my bike to work today just fyi everyone. It was raining a bit but now as i ride home its beautiful and perfect out.
nothing will make a/dystheist of you faster than being at the mercy of the weather.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:38 on Sep 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL my loving child weighs twice that and I bike them all around the city

My touring load for the mountains was 60lbs last year, this chunk of steel sounds easy as poo poo. Skill issue indeed

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

LOL my loving child weighs twice that and I bike them all around the city

The weight itself isn't the problem, how would you fasten your child to a small cargo rack if your child was a small rigid object.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

fail moderator riding a bicycle in the hot texas sun when he could be driving in an ac cooled car and contributing to climate change instead

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

my child is hefty, and strapped to the panniers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is not my style at all but I still want one. Under $1000

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

The student was unharmed, the car was not, and the sound was soooo satisfying. The guy didn't even stop or get out. He just drove off with his little lesson.
owns. gig drivers have been getting real clueless/unsafe lately around here and it's getting on my nerves.

that's a fancy whip

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Sep 14, 2023

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

burning man ftw

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is not my style at all but I still want one. Under $1000
for less than $1000 i want one to zip around the office

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

name is dumb as hell but that folding mechanism is neat

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

I wish they had made it look vaguely like the old one rather than how they think Apple would have made it look

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

This story still makes me so mad. If someone greased one of my loved ones with their car and got off with a slap on the wrist like that, I would never ever let them live it down, just make sure they are absolutely miserable. Tbh I'd probably get in some trouble myself for how I'd go about that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mister Speaker posted:

Tbh I'd probably get in some trouble myself for how I'd go about that.

sounds like the fine is about $150

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

This story still makes me so mad. If someone greased one of my loved ones with their car and got off with a slap on the wrist like that, I would never ever let them live it down, just make sure they are absolutely miserable. Tbh I'd probably get in some trouble myself for how I'd go about that.

I wouldn’t convict.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'd rather put bollards on every sidewalk/ban all cars than fantasize about punishing bad drivers. Oh also the cool retractable crosswalk bollards that probably don't exist.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

sounds like the fine is about $150

Thing is, if you ran them over because they ran over a loved one of yours they could probably make a case for intent and you'd get done for murder, it's only a tiny fine if you negligently kill somebody in a car. So ideally you need to pay somebody unknown to them to accidentally kill them.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

It's amazing that driving a car is by far the most dangerous thing we regularly do, and the penalties for injuring or killing people with your car are so small because deep down the majority of people know they're not capable of doing it safely so they don't want to cop a severe punishment when the inevitable happens.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

car culture is pushed by global governments as a method to divide and alienate The People. embrace pedestrianism.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cars can be ftw.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

withak posted:

The weight itself isn't the problem, how would you fasten your child to a small cargo rack if your child was a small rigid object.

4-6 bungee cords with hooks or voile straps on the little handles to a rear rack. set it up so there's enough tension to avoid unwanted lateral inertia. or get a container that attaches to the top of a rear rack and drop it in there

https://ibera.info/products/pakrak-touring-carrier-plus-ib-ra5

https://ibera.info/collections/all-products/products/pakrak-waterproof-commuter-bag-ib-ba22

just a few examples. can find heavier duty rear racks too

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Sep 15, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Shoot, why didn’t I think of sourcing a stouter rack and an assortment of heavy-duty bungee cords while leaving for work this morning.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eXXon posted:

I'd rather put bollards on every sidewalk/ban all cars than fantasize about punishing bad drivers. Oh also the cool retractable crosswalk bollards that probably don't exist.
but mah freedums

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

withak posted:

Shoot, why didn’t I think of sourcing a stouter rack and an assortment of heavy-duty bungee cords while leaving for work this morning.

:shrug: hey you asked

for what it's worth I also chose to drive to pick up a 50lb dehumidifier last month rather than try and strap it to my bicycle, but I'd also like to get a cargo bike or trailer so I don't have to use the car for those kinds of errands

I've gotten to the point in my car use where I have to keep it on a trickle charger or risk the battery being flat when I need to use it, but I also don't feel comfortable selling it because I own it outright, cars are insanely expensive nowadays, and I live in America

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

withak posted:

i don't know why people are giving you poo poo, you take your bike except times when you need a motor vehicle which is what everybody should be doing.

if you have to take the thing back and forth more frequently you could find a way to attach it to your bike but nobody should care about a one-off car trip.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

eXXon posted:

probably because one of those things could actually happen and the other is lol, lmao.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Harik posted:

i don't know why people are giving you poo poo, you take your bike except times when you need a motor vehicle which is what everybody should be doing.

if you have to take the thing back and forth more frequently you could find a way to attach it to your bike but nobody should care about a one-off car trip.
having to carry a little cargo shouldn’t be the thing that keeps you off your bike.
It’s loving great that they bike as much as possible, but there’s no need for. normalizing car trip that are manageable otherwise is all.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Harik posted:

probably because one of those things could actually happen and the other is lol, lmao.

Perhaps, but I still think Clandestine Bollard Installer is a cooler superhero than Bad Driver Punisher.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fortaleza posted:

Here's mine after loading up at the farmer's market

Interviewing for a job downtown, being a bike commute guy again might be in my near future
:trumppop:

Really want a set of canvas panniers like that and wax them up. Good luck with the job.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Dog Case posted:

I wish they had made it look vaguely like the old one rather than how they think Apple would have made it look

I hope in my heart of hearts if this motocompacto does well they make a bigger one that’s a bit more squat like the old one that can swing like 30 miles

or, poo poo, I dunno - I’d hazard this will generate an after market like most Honda things - someone comes up with a larger battery pack

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wolfs posted:

I hope in my heart of hearts if this motocompacto does well they make a bigger one that’s a bit more squat like the old one that can swing like 30 miles

or, poo poo, I dunno - I’d hazard this will generate an after market like most Honda things - someone comes up with a larger battery pack

It's neat but it's a complete distraction that was never going to sell in volume. I'm surprised they let the engineers play with something that's just a neat little marketing exercise that's only appealing to nerds

Where the gently caress is the electric Ruckus?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

cat botherer posted:

:trumppop:

Really want a set of canvas panniers like that and wax them up. Good luck with the job.

They're Ostrich bags, waxed canvas made in Japan. This is what they look like new and not after years of use and sun exposure like mine https://campbikeusa.com/products/os...bj6QcU1IL9Aoh60

Took me forever to save up for a whole set back in my mid 20's, I cherish them greatly

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Stereotype posted:

so while I personally expended a huge amount of time and effort to responsibly do something with as small a footprint as possible and put in the work to leave no trace it doesn’t matter because the news found a bunch of people who didn’t do that.

drat, good thing a bunch of people in this thread rode their bikes to work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was riding behind a guy the other day who was smoking while he was riding his bike

Just took a hand off the handlebars, held the ciggie up to his lips, took a long drag, and kept on pedalling

So cool

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Saw a mom in Groningen do that with two kids on a upright city bike.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

That's really cool looking, but specs say it does 15mph and has a range of 12 miles, so less than an hour's worth of use at full speed, which seems a little limited. It could do my commute on a single charge, but I'm pretty sure my commute is exceptionally short compared to most folks.

I'm also not seeing any space for luggage/groceries. It definitely needs a folding basket on those handlebars or something.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

looks like it would be competing with e-scooters, not bikes, which have similar limitations but are pretty popular

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Yeah, you're right it's just a scooter with a seat

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eXXon posted:

Perhaps, but I still think Clandestine Bollard Installer is a cooler superhero than Bad Driver Punisher.
be the change you want to see in the world (do both)

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Suburbanites are now using the cop rhetoric "I feared for my life in my SUV". Another bad American apple, nothing you can do about this. At this point, there are dozens of orchards that are completely rotten.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/09/14/deer-street-shooting/

quote:

A man who was trying to slow traffic in his neighborhood because deer were crossing the street was shot and killed by another man who was driving past, authorities in western Washington state said.

Dan Spaeth of Snohomish, Wash., was outside his home with his wife on the evening of Sept. 7, trying to alert passing cars to deer that were crossing the road, Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office Det. Kendra Conley wrote in an affidavit of probable cause filed in court.

He was shot once by a man driving by, who later told authorities that seeing Spaeth and his wife in the street made him afraid and he fired the shot to scare the couple, according to the affidavit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
we are the most psychotic people ever to walk this planet