Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Aha I knew I was getting 'companion option' vibes from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately He sat in my chair and so he must die.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DaysBefore posted:

Aha I knew I was getting 'companion option' vibes from them

Apparently he is also the only gay romance so that is... something :stare:

Eifert Posting posted:

Unfortunately He sat in my chair and so he must die.

:same:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Release date is December 7th. That's a lot sooner than I thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6DfyGpQlMk

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Release date is December 7th. That's a lot sooner than I thought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6DfyGpQlMk

Matches up roughly with the alpha/beta/full release schedules of wrath. but the earliest possible date. I expected it closer to February. We''ll see if I have teh will to let it be for a month or two to get to a basic big patch.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah im thinking this was a good year for RPGs

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Well this is owlcat so february would be a good estimate for this game to be in a playable state

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lalaland posted:

Well this is owlcat so february would be a good estimate for this game to be in a playable state

February 2025 maybe.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

had to check the video to make sure they didnt mean december 2024 :eyepop:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The beta was very stable. I only had a couple of instances I would consider bugs.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lalaland posted:

Not that it's not gonna stop most of us playing on release date or thereabouts :v:

Seriously, I know it's going to be a bugfest, I know I'm going to be tearing my hair out at certain points, I know it won't be the 'Perfectest game Evarrr~!™', but I still replay the beta from time to time and just futzing around in the 40Kverse has got me so hyped like you wouldn't believe. December can't come soon enough!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've been purposefully avoid looking up anything regarding this game but I watched the trailer and the fact that a Space Marine is a 2x2 unit is pretty funny.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I mean it’ll have more bugs than a lot of games but I suspect it’ll be relatively polished for an Owlcat game. Not that it really matters I’m playing it day 1 regardless ‘cause it’ll be a good game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

I've been purposefully avoid looking up anything regarding this game but I watched the trailer and the fact that a Space Marine is a 2x2 unit is pretty funny.

They definitely make them scary. I will say the rogue trader retinue does feel a bit tilted. My old dude with a chainsword is a god of war.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

They definitely make them scary. I will say the rogue trader retinue does feel a bit tilted. My old dude with a chainsword is a god of war.

Like for real the only reason to have a proper long distance character is to snipe other similar people that are very far away.

Argents is great with her flamer of course don't get me wrong but the close range murdering is just very very good.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Sorry for the late doublepost, but here's a video of some gameplay from Gamescom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7od4VLKb9s

SPOILER WARNING: Contains spoilers for a new companion (especially if you didn't play the beta) as well as an enemy type (though the latter isn't really a spoiler if you watched the animated trailer).

Are you telling me I must endure the offense of two eldar companions with no confirmed Ork Freebooterz to bring joy to my captains life?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Caidin posted:

Are you telling me I must endure the offense of two eldar companions with no confirmed Ork Freebooterz to bring joy to my captains life?

It's good capitalism! Nbody likes Eldar, so it's safe to include them for free, but people like me would damned well pay for Ork DLC.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

It's good capitalism! Nbody likes Eldar, so it's safe to include them for free, but people like me would damned well pay for Ork DLC.

The real Rogue Trader is the development studio behind Rogue Trader, Owlcat.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

its me, I'm the one playing Criminal Background Rogue Trader + Heretical Path + two eldars in my party

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just hope they focus on exploration and trade on top of these set piece encounters. The Beta had good content but I hope it's not comprehensive.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Spoiler for a potential new enemy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqG5DGHoDS8

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

What are the chances of any campaign map stuff being optional?

Really bounced off Pathfinder Wrath of the righteous because of the map stuff even though you can automate it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Aramoro posted:

Really bounced off Pathfinder Wrath of the righteous because of the map stuff even though you can automate it.

Depends on what you mean by that.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Aramoro posted:

I suspect its not gonna be the colony management mini-game that its gonna annoy you, but the ship combat systems that has high potential to be aggravating

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Aramoro posted:

None.
Chapter 2 is all about exploring the Koronus expanse and trying to find your dynastys 3 lost colonies.

The colony management is 100% optional though.
Also the exploring is the most fun part of the game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If anything, ship to ship combat might get an auto resolve feature and will almost certainly get a mod to trivialize it.

Auto resolve in Wrath was actually dire and worse than simply fighting the battles because all losses were persistent. If there's anything comparable like losing crewmen or accumulation of damage, it's gonna need to be real generous with the auto outcomes.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't assume that you're going to dislike the ship combat. I'm not generally into that kind of mechanic and I really liked it.

It helps that I figured out the secret to elf bullshit in space.
early in your movement fire a torpedo turning in the opposite direction that you plan on turning, elf bullshit realies very heavily on them getting out of your firing arcs and it's basically impossible for them to stay out of your shooting arcs and torpedo arcs. For some reason they generally choose to open themselves up to torpedoes, which are more reliable damage and do more damage if they hit.

Probably my favorite moment in the beta was taking on three larger ships and just having a perfect combat encounter where I killed all three in less than two full turns. Torpedoes are definitely the secret to getting good.

I would actually say the colony management, ship combat, and economy are a significant strength of the game. I gather that's an unpopular opinion but I don't understand why.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The problem in Wrath is that the management stuff is too shallow and the UX so tedious to use. Like It doesn't seem to matter at much and it's just in the way of the actual game. It's a lovely battle and a lovely settlement management bolted onto and otherwise fine game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I actually like the ship combat more than the ground combat but I dunno how extensively they've changed that (hopefully a lot)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I honestly think ship combat is much better integrated into RT than the kingdom/army management stuff was in the PF games. It's just so goddamn cool to turn your ship so it can give a full-on broadside to some heretics. Seriously, if there's one thing I'd change it's so that there was some way we can choose to fight more space battles, both for salvage to trade/upgrade our ship with (since atm it's the only way to ain rep with the Navy, who sell most of the ship upgrades), and because I like it so much :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really liked kingdom stuff in Pathfinder WotR because it was a nice reprieve from the god awful D&D3.5/Pathfinder combat which I can't loving stand.
I still beat all of WotR, twice, and planning a third playthrough of it, but it's in spite of the combat system not because of it.

I'm hearing that Rogue Trader allegedly does a much better job at making a non-grognardy combat system though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's non-grognardy but also extremely basic and poorly balanced.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blockhouse posted:

It's non-grognardy but also extremely basic and poorly balanced.

Eh, I'm willing to give them a bit of a pass on that since it was obviously unfinished (psykers, most notably). Several classes also underwent semi-significant changes from the alpha to the beta as well; IIRC Adepts had their powers changed to be more active and debuff-focused to distinguish them from Leaders, though I fully admit I might be misremembering some things. Melee characters seemed to be combat beasts in both versions, though that might be because there's a lot of variety to the melee weapons as opposed to ranged weapon choices, which boil down to 'sniper rifles', 'flamers' and 'that one hot-shot lasgun'.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I honestly think ship combat is much better integrated into RT than the kingdom/army management stuff was in the PF games. It's just so goddamn cool to turn your ship so it can give a full-on broadside to some heretics. Seriously, if there's one thing I'd change it's so that there was some way we can choose to fight more space battles, both for salvage to trade/upgrade our ship with (since atm it's the only way to ain rep with the Navy, who sell most of the ship upgrades), and because I like it so much :allears:

You might want to consider Battlefleet Gothic Armada 2 then, if you haven't already. From what you wrote, the game would very much be your thing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's definitely a little bit of tweaking to be done before release. The biggest constraint by far I had in the colony aspect of the game was people.

Thematically that's about like having a dune RPG where Paul's plans are held up by not having enough sand.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

There's definitely a little bit of tweaking to be done before release. The biggest constraint by far I had in the colony aspect of the game was people.

Thematically that's about like having a dune RPG where Paul's plans are held up by not having enough sand.

lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Both management aspects of the previous Owlcat games had at least one what I would call critical design failure.

Kingmaker: Advisor mission difficulty skyrockets in chapter 5, and if you aren't using the Best in Slot options you have little to no hope of making it. The most reasonable solution was to cheat in the success coins to give yourself at least a 75% success chance. Had you made enough bad choices, lost out on the ideal advisors (or picked the one who betrays you) It's possible to end up in a game death spiral as a result of this and soft lock the game.

Wrath: Army management basically required one specific general who could both heal and attack, and a major part of keeping your army intact was wiping out the enemy 99%, then stalling as you heal up all your own troops, the default recovery aspect was terrible. Combat was heavily dictated by going first, to the point if the enemy wiped your archer stack in round 1 you'd need to reload the fight.

The thing for both systems was that their auto-resolve was also genuinely bad, with outcomes so much worse then playing it manually, even with massive advantage it wasn't worth it.

The default option for both was to cheat the game a little bit. For KM those coins solved all the advisor problems, and there were many, while for Wrath it ended up just cheating in enough currency to buy the only highly effective mercenary type, Hellknights, while you pretty much ignored the dozens of potential army units in favor of DPS footman, Clerics, and DPS ranged. Defense/Tanks had no value as they didn't draw aggro, and special units like Cyborgs weren't useful because it was too expensive to get their numbers high enough to matter.

None of this includes the stuff that was a major part of the management that could massively gently caress up the main quest progression either.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

pentyne posted:

Wrath: Army management basically required one specific general who could both heal and attack, and a major part of keeping your army intact was wiping out the enemy 99%, then stalling as you heal up all your own troops, the default recovery aspect was terrible. Combat was heavily dictated by going first, to the point if the enemy wiped your archer stack in round 1 you'd need to reload the fight.

this reminds me a little bit of HOMM games where your archers were either a holy terror that decided every fight if they got off one or two volleys or rushed and invalidated by a flying unit early on

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

this reminds me a little bit of HOMM games where your archers were either a holy terror that decided every fight if they got off one or two volleys or rushed and invalidated by a flying unit early on

you will never believe what the army mode was modeled after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It will be interesting to see how character creation pans out. The origins and defining backstory bits are what intrigue me mainly, but I also want to see how badly I can break the game.