Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why are there so many Tridents that can summon eldritch beasts or destroy the world just laying around waiting for someone to pick them up?

Seems like Atlantis should really get on the ball collecting those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
On the one hand, I have been to the cinema more this year than in the previous 3 combined…

..on the other, only two of them were actual new releases, the other three were 70s/80s flicks. There just ain’t much new stuff I fancy checking out lately.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t think the target audience for Yellowstone is watching it on streaming

Paramount+ doesn't even have Yellowstone; they sold the streaming rights to NBCUniversal before Yellowstone even premiered.

That's one of the reasons Yellowstone is ending with this season and why they're making a spin-off with McConaughey.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the Aquaman 2 trailer and definitely had to laugh at how Arthur has a kid just magically with no mention of the baby's mother at all.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The (singular?) shot of Mera banging on the window to please be let into the movie is pretty loving funny.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They're re-releasonv Werewolf by Night this October in colour. You know, just case you're a soulless husk who hates cool poo poo

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Opopanax posted:

They're re-releasonv Werewolf by Night this October in colour. You know, just case you're a soulless husk who hates cool poo poo

Maybe it’ll be a garish recolor like how they used to do to old b&w movies

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
?? Seems like being in color kinda defeats the purpose? Vibes-wise?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

site posted:

Peacock has Columbo

You don't want Columbo showing up at your house asking why you stopped watching his show

So does Tubi

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sanschel posted:

Maybe it’ll be a garish recolor like how they used to do to old b&w movies

If they do it as an awful technicolor re-color I'm all in.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looks pretty normal. Also Elsa has dark hair :argh:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Hilariously fake

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1702419592453501312?s=20

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Witnesses reported Majors could be heard shouting, "Guys stop! It's me, Marvel film actor Jonathan Majors! I play Kang."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If he was actually in character the fight would have never happened and we never would have known otherwise.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Opopanax posted:

Also Elsa has dark hair :argh:

Yeah we knew that a year ago when it came out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
MK had comics so it counts. The new game is out and the story mode continues to be pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATa2ItOv5tw

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
poo poo yeah, thanks for posting. Marathoning the story cut scenes when mk came up a couple years ago was better than the most recent movie

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i figured since i chronicled my journey through 9-aftermath in here before it would be okay to post the new one

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The storyline is certainly daft enough to be a comic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Samovar posted:

The storyline is certainly daft enough to be a comic.

It's the third time travel retcon in the last decade, not much more comic book than that

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness this one does some more bold things with the characters, making most of the villains more sympathetic or just outright heroic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

Lol if DCU is going to end with a dead baby

Well, at least it wasn't microwaved :v:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

In fairness this one does some more bold things with the characters, making most of the villains more sympathetic or just outright heroic.

I've got about an hour left, and I'm really enjoying it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to seeing Guardians 3 last night. I thought I wasn't gonna like it that much which is why I skipped it in the first place, I guess cause I've been down on a lot of recent Marvel stuff, but it was really good!... which shouldn't have been surprising because James Gunn is good at his job. I'm actually surprised that no one died since the trailers seemed so heavy, plus the metatextual reason that a lot of the actors' contracts are up and/or have publicly stated they're done with Marvel for now. I knew after it was very clear the whole plot was saving Rocket that he was safe but I kept thinking that Quill or maybe Drax was gonna go down heroically. I appreciated them giving more for Mantis to do besides grabbing people to calm them down and be a joke delivery system. Ditto for Drax (even if he did spend like 80% of the movie as a joke delivery system).

I honestly can't decide how I feel about the reveal(?) that Rocket is in fact a raccoon, because on one hand the dramatic music in the moment paired with the reveal made me laugh but the entire rest of the scene didn't play that way at all. Like for a minute I thought "Oh this recontextualizes how he's mad when people call him a raccoon in the other movies!" but then I remembered that in GOTG 1 he seemed genuinely confused as to what a raccoon was before dropping his "Ain't no thing like me except me" line so unless it's been some long con where he pretends not to know it just feels out of place.

Anyway, really good, in fact I might go so far as to say that I liked it better than 1 (though not 2, imo the best in the trilogy) if it weren't for the fact that I think Gunn went a little too heavy on the needle drops. Like I get that it's kind of a feature of the franchise but it still felt like a lot to me. Also I thought it was very sweet how they put moments from the whole series over the credits, even including Rocket and Groot with Thor from IW and just a random Kevin Bacon from the Xmas special.

e: I guess I'll add spoiler tags? I mean it's been months now but I reckon I'll play it safe

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TwoPair posted:

Finally got around to seeing Guardians 3 last night. I thought I wasn't gonna like it that much which is why I skipped it in the first place, I guess cause I've been down on a lot of recent Marvel stuff, but it was really good!... which shouldn't have been surprising because James Gunn is good at his job. I'm actually surprised that no one died since the trailers seemed so heavy, plus the metatextual reason that a lot of the actors' contracts are up and/or have publicly stated they're done with Marvel for now. I knew after it was very clear the whole plot was saving Rocket that he was safe but I kept thinking that Quill or maybe Drax was gonna go down heroically. I appreciated them giving more for Mantis to do besides grabbing people to calm them down and be a joke delivery system. Ditto for Drax (even if he did spend like 80% of the movie as a joke delivery system).

I honestly can't decide how I feel about the reveal(?) that Rocket is in fact a raccoon, because on one hand the dramatic music in the moment paired with the reveal made me laugh but the entire rest of the scene didn't play that way at all. Like for a minute I thought "Oh this recontextualizes how he's mad when people call him a raccoon in the other movies!" but then I remembered that in GOTG 1 he seemed genuinely confused as to what a raccoon was before dropping his "Ain't no thing like me except me" line so unless it's been some long con where he pretends not to know it just feels out of place.

Anyway, really good, in fact I might go so far as to say that I liked it better than 1 (though not 2, imo the best in the trilogy) if it weren't for the fact that I think Gunn went a little too heavy on the needle drops. Like I get that it's kind of a feature of the franchise but it still felt like a lot to me. Also I thought it was very sweet how they put moments from the whole series over the credits, even including Rocket and Groot with Thor from IW and just a random Kevin Bacon from the Xmas special.

e: I guess I'll add spoiler tags? I mean it's been months now but I reckon I'll play it safe

Re: the Rocket thing, my read was always that he was discovering that he was a raccoon in that moment. He's finding his place, finding out what he is, and it's what it always seemed to be, he was just denying it out of stubborn pride.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Arist posted:

Re: the Rocket thing, my read was always that he was discovering that he was a raccoon in that moment. He's finding his place, finding out what he is, and it's what it always seemed to be, he was just denying it out of stubborn pride.

Yeah there wasn't a label on his cage after he became smart enough to read it

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Director of Deadpool 3 confirms that the movie will explore/feature a lot of the Fox Marvel characters and connections.

quote:

"Deadpool and Wolverine are iconic Marvel characters; more specifically, iconic Marvel-of-the-Fox-era characters," said the filmmaker during an interview with Total Film. "We’re not going to pretend: 'Oh, we snap our fingers, and suddenly that Fox legacy doesn’t exist, and it shaped a lot of what we now know as the MCU.' Fox also shaped Ryan’s career, Hugh’s career and my career. So there’s a lot of history there, and there’s a lot of Marvel history at Fox. And certainly that’s a part of our storytelling."

This seems like it might confirm some of the rumors of (possible spoilers) Appearances by Fox X-men characters, Chris Evans as Johnny Storm, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner as Daredevil/Elektra, and Channing Tatum as Gambit.

The Jennifer Garner rumor has been confirmed and her casting was officially announced, so that seems to lend some credence to the other leaks/rumors combined with the director's new statement.

https://comicbookmovie.com/deadpool...05796#gs.61shm3

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

James Gunn officially confirms that Aquaman 2, the Joker sequel, and The Batman 2 will be non-cannon.

All DC projects before Creature Commandos and Superman: Legacy will be non-cannon/Elseworlds in the new DCU, but some actors will reprise their roles from previous films.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Also, he says the officially confirmed actors who will be returning in the DCU are:

• John Cena as Peacemaker
• Viola Davis as Amanda Waller
• Xolo Maridueña as Blue Beetle

There will likely be more, but those are the only official announcements as of yet.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Davis is a perfect Waller really

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Also Cena is just perfect as Peacemaker

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also Cena is just perfect as Peacemaker

Absolutely, but I could see Waller as a central character for a DCU depending on how they go

Pacemaker will always be a Deadpool like side character, as great as he's been

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Very happy to see blue beetle is making the jump to the NuDCU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Can't imagine they'll ditch Margot Robie anytime soon. A year ago I could have seen Shazam as a big part going forward but who knows now

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, he says the officially confirmed actors who will be returning in the DCU are:

There will likely be more, but those are the only official announcements as of yet.

This made rewatch Amanda Waller shoot a half dozen FBI agents because apparently that's the thing you do after "wip[ing] the files". Goddamn that was dumb.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

James Gunn officially confirms that Aquaman 2, the Joker sequel, and The Batman 2 will be non-cannon.

All DC projects before Creature Commandos and Superman: Legacy will be non-cannon/Elseworlds in the new DCU, but some actors will reprise their roles from previous films.

the last two sentences kind of contradict each other, no? I guess maybe Gunn thinks it's less confusing than "The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker S1, and Blue Beetle are all mostly canon, aside from the parts that reference DCEU projects that Gunn wasn't involved in," but I'm not sure it is

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
It’s like the New52 was. Nothing is canon and it’s all new except for the stuff we don’t want to abandon.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Surely *this* is the information that allows the new DCU to soar. Nothing is canon except for the things they want to be canon. The casual movie goer is gonna love that

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Once it starts, just watch going forward?

Nobody thinks Joker is part of the other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Remember when Gal Gadot tried to will a new WW movie into existence? That was fun.