Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Even the non-TBI end of the over-the-bars spectrum of crashes is stuff like emergency dentistry, jaw reconstruction, etc.
A friend of mine hit a pothole on a rental electric scooter and everything from their orbits to TMJ to some teeth to mandible was instantly turned into fragments. A year and a half later, there's still reconstructive surgery going on and months of eating through a straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tarlibone posted:

It's an optical illusion; I took the picture with the camera at about the level of the crank.

Not an optical illusion, but you do you.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Even the non-TBI end of the over-the-bars spectrum of crashes is stuff like emergency dentistry, jaw reconstruction, etc.
A friend of mine hit a pothole on a rental electric scooter and everything from their orbits to TMJ to some teeth to mandible was instantly turned into fragments. A year and a half later, there's still reconstructive surgery going on and months of eating through a straw.

Stuff like this is what keeps me heavily riding the brakes on the steep descents in my area. Terrifying.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

TobinHatesYou posted:

Not an optical illusion, but you do you.

I had to look at the original, non-cropped picture. The camera wasn't quite at the crank, but I snapped the shot while squatting way down.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I've never changed the handlebar angle, and I'm quite comfortable on the hoods. It's an AR bike, so I'm more upright than I would be on something tuned for racing. That's just the angle it's at. Shrug emoji.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Anyone riding Salida76 on Saturday? Im not, just curious. Planning on going next year.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m signed up for a 100 mi 9000’ fondo here in NorCal Saturday which I will be attempting on my lovely gravel bike

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Which one in Cali? Only big one I did was sac century in the delta and it made Iowa look hilly. Less than 1200ft of climb in 101mi.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://tuccycle.org/rides/tour-of-the-unknown-coast-century/

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
learned why my bike was only 40 euro today. sorry, old man i crashed into!

sometimes i feel like god is laughing at me. why didnt i finish university the first time. why dont i have a job thatll pay for a cervelo

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Day 6 of ebiking across Belgium and the Netherlands wrapped up and done. 330kms altogether hauling across city streets, next to highways and dodging sheep on dykes.
The bikes we got are beasts, pulling 17-22km/hr with my fat rear end and a week's+ clothes with me. Not ever had battery problems, and have been able to take it street, gravel and a bit of bush bashing when Google hosed up and sent us into a reclaimed track. And then a guy showed up, smashed it and rode off into the green so what the hell do I know really.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Oh man, I camped at the Albee Creek campground (about halfway through that route) a few years ago…that is going to be a beautiful and difficult ride. I’m jealous!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

w4ddl3d33 posted:

learned why my bike was only 40 euro today. sorry, old man i crashed into!

Did it break on the way into or out of the crash?

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

kimbo305 posted:

Did it break on the way into or out of the crash?

my breaks were working just fine, then i stopped on a bridge to take a photo, got back on, and unbeknownst to me my break cable had detached in the less than a minute it took for me to stop riding and take that photo. sigh

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So is the bike fixable?

The cheaper a bike is, the more vigilant and repair handy you ought to be.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

kimbo305 posted:

So is the bike fixable?

The cheaper a bike is, the more vigilant and repair handy you ought to be.

yeah, totally. i'm a little nervous cuz i'm new in this country, but now's as good a time as ever to learn about bike vocabulary, right?

stuff like this makes me annoyed at myself for always getting a mechanic to sort out my bike. i don't even know how to replace the inner tubes, i've always just paid £10 for somebody else to do it. we have free bike repair stops around the city but i don't know where to begin

i'm not a reckless cyclist AT ALL, i wear my safety gear, i wear my lights, since being here i've not cycled in the rain or at night, but i topple over an embarrassing amount so this won't be the last time i break something for sure

w4ddl3d33 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 14, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
gotta say if i were riding my bike and a brake cable came detached, assuming i survived and came to a stop, i am not sure i would ever ride that bike again

i'm sure it's not that uncommon in the grand scheme of things but, no thank you!!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
You can just fix the cable. If you learn how to do it yourself you'll even have a better idea of what to watch out for so it doesn't happen again!

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 14, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, mysteries can exist with a bike, but you can dispel most of them with some learning and practice. Disenbodied creaks remain undefeated, however.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Brb fitting an 8 point digital stethoscope to my bike

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, mysteries can exist with a bike, but you can dispel most of them with some learning and practice. Disenbodied creaks remain undefeated, however.
also double-digit speeds planetary hubs

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also disc brakes alignment and noises

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Who's gonna get the $500 airless space tires

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smarttirecompany/space-age-bicycle-wheels-using-nasa-technology/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh look another thing that's worse and dumber than the old thing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

noted organization that has done a lot of innovating in my lifetime, nasa

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Dog Case posted:

Who's gonna get the $500 airless space tires

"and no more being stuck in the middle of nowhere carrying or walking your bike."

Not even NASA can stop me from loving up and having to carry or walk my bike.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

wanna see that rider do a metric century wearing the space suit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I carry repair supplies, and they seem to function as talismans against any event where they would be used.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Well, I guess I'm kinda stuck here. I can't afford anything new that could support me and I don't know enough about buying/building/upgrading/repairing old bikes to put one together. Regardless, thanks for the help and advice.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Mr Newsman posted:

"and no more being stuck in the middle of nowhere carrying or walking your bike."

Not even NASA can stop me from loving up and having to carry or walk my bike.

i would end up accidentally getting air in them

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Oldstench posted:

Well, I guess I'm kinda stuck here. I can't afford anything new that could support me and I don't know enough about buying/building/upgrading/repairing old bikes to put one together. Regardless, thanks for the help and advice.

One of these you can fix for practically free with judicious use of the internet and some very basic tools.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i need everyone here to make fun of a weird bike that keeps entering my brain so i don't think about actually buying it. i'm planning on getting one (1) bike to serve as my full-size, go pretty fast, go on gravel, do laps of the park, go bikepacking bike. i got a drat instagram ad for priority bikes, who make belt-drive internal-gear bikes, and apparently they make an 11-speed belt drive gravel bike, and it's $300 off right now?

https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/priority-apollo

this would be a stupid purchase, right? i should just get like a kona dew or something? i should not entertain this weird-rear end belt drive thing?

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 16, 2023

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Do you do your own work? After watching this video I will stick with simple derailleurs and cassettes. Thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IEjqzFUfww

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 16, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Shimano Allfine hub has a good range as far as those things go, but the sprockets and the reduction in the hub basically cancel out, and you’re left with 1:1 as your lowest gearing. This is probably not as low as you want for bikepacking.

If a chain were involved, I’d say “whatever, chains and gears are cheap enough and easy to change, and how fast* do you really want to go in the highest gear?”, but you probably don’t want to swap out everything on a new bike.

There’s also the difficulty of fixing it if something goes wrong on a bikepacking trip, yeah.

*Out of the box, it can do like sixty‐five kilometres per hour in top gear at a cadence of hundred and twenty.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

abraham linksys posted:

i need everyone here to make fun of a weird bike that keeps entering my brain so i don't think about actually buying it. i'm planning on getting one (1) bike to serve as my full-size, go pretty fast, go on gravel, do laps of the park, go bikepacking bike. i got a drat instagram ad for priority bikes, who make belt-drive internal-gear bikes, and apparently they make an 11-speed belt drive gravel bike, and it's $300 off right now?

this would be a stupid purchase, right? i should just get like a kona dew or something? i should not entertain this weird-rear end belt drive thing?

that’s a great bike, nothing weird about it at all

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Wifi Toilet posted:

Do you do your own work? After watching this video I will stick with simple derailleurs and cassettes. Thank you very much.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0IEjqzFUfww

an alfine hub is good for tens of thousands of miles before needing that kind of service but okay

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

abraham linksys posted:

I owned one for a while, one of my MANY belt bikes. Belt was the best thing about it, didn’t end up liking how heavy it was though and wasn’t in love with the mechanical discs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

Sounds like you're asking for a Grizl to me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Well, the warranty issue is taking about as long as I thought it would, so for tomorrow's Moonlight Ramble Take 2, my wife will be riding my Cypress. She can knock out 12 miles on that thing easily with the relaxed pace we're expecting. We just lit it up. Going to add some more things tomorrow, and then... we Ramble!

My band has a fill-in bassist for the gig that night. I was glad to hear it, because between the three of us, of the 5 dates the venue said was available, four were not options due to things we'd already planned with our families. Mine was the August 26th offer--the original date of this event.

I have lights for our jerseys--two wheel lights in the color blue. I also have a few other lights we can stick somewhere on the bikes.

We need more events like this. Like, in every town. Once a month.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

I owned one for a while, one of my MANY belt bikes. Belt was the best thing about it, didn’t end up liking how heavy it was though and wasn’t in love with the mechanical discs.

dang, good to know. it does seem about the same weight as the other bikes i'm looking at, at least, e.g. the entry-level Grizls are the same weight

I just wish I had slightly less choices here since there's too many dang bikes; might just need to see what my bike shop has. I can't even decide between steel or aluminum :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Oldstench posted:

Try and find a bike coop or similar nearby - a lot of them will have both v cheap bikes, and be down to go over basic bone building etc with you. Ie one near me has some folks every Thursday who hang out and help with bike stuff!

Not sure what you'll find nearby, but it's worth a try imo.