Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sean Strickland world championship match.
This poll is closed.
No. 2 4.88%
gently caress you. 22 53.66%
I'm going to stop watching the UFC. 8 19.51%
I stopped watching the UFC years ago. 9 21.95%
Total: 41 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Vince is going to flex his new powers by including himself as a selectable fighter in UFC 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bah gawd almighty that's gotta be Cain

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Bah gawd almighty that's gotta be Cain

C-Level Cain

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

kimbo305 posted:

I would imagine he could have a pretty strong backchannel with Dana, though given the egos involved, that would probably blow up shortly, in our favor inshallah.

Oh yeah definitely. Part of his job is to be the relay between Dana and the board. And yes I’m sure they’ll hate each other.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I look forward to Dana trashing Vince at press conferences and Twitter

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the tko logo looks like poo poo.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The fun other thing going around twitter today:
https://twitter.com/mma_orbit/status/1702389803449307427
Between Australian taxes, the UFC only paying airfare for one cornerman, medical expenses and drug testing, John Makdessi, who has 20 fights across 13 years with the UFC, only made $28k to fight.

Not to be missed in this: John Makdessi, who has 20 fights across 13 years with the UFC, is only getting paid $58k show money before all taxes and deductions.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the ufc is getting paid 16 million to run 3 shows in sydney by the government, yet do nothing to offset the hit fighter pay takes. so hosed up.

also gently caress dana white, of course.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
According to people on the internet who can always be trusted, Makdessi should expect to get back like $20k when he files taxes at the end of the year.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
so it begins

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1702464772757753986

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
item 1: the entire womens featherweight division

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Between Australian taxes, the UFC only paying airfare for one cornerman, medical expenses and drug testing, John Makdessi, who has 20 fights across 13 years with the UFC, only made $28k to fight.

Not to be missed in this: John Makdessi, who has 20 fights across 13 years with the UFC, is only getting paid $58k show money before all taxes and deductions.

A North American company, pays a North American athlete, in North American Currency, for work which for all but one week took place entirely in North America, and was predominantly broadcast in North America, and the Australian government takes 45% of his purse? After the state government forked over +$10 million for it to happen there in the first place? That seems absurd. As an Australian, keep it my man.

If he gets most of it back then cool but gently caress I hate taking the long way round. It's like another first world problem - I hate going to the doctor and they charge you a hundred bucks for the visit, and then re-imburse you for most of it later that day via the public health thing. Seems like a stupid waste of admin.

the joke is that america is not a first world country lol

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
It looks like they hosed up the PAYE, because if he was a subcontractor or sole trader then no taxes should have been withheld as it would be his responsibility to produce a bas if it was over 75k Australian. The taxable threshold is in the 28k range then above that you shouldn't get above 32% unless you were a main eventer. Then come tax time you could claim all the expenses as tax deductions and come out with a tax bill around 14k Australian.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

chaleski posted:

I look forward to Dana trashing Vince at press conferences and Twitter

This isn't exactly Vince but there was this:
https://twitter.com/WrestleOps/status/1701941168647385424

This is specifically WWE layoffs though right and not on the UFC side?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I eagerly look forward to the UFC version of, "Vince is backstage tonight"

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Vince in Bisping's ear on the headset

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Brut posted:

This isn't exactly Vince but there was this:
https://twitter.com/WrestleOps/status/1701941168647385424

He's giving off big "I'm not mad, I'm laughing" energy here

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I'm away from my computer so I can't be bothered checking if this was a dream or not but this is funny enough to relay anyway. I have a slightly kooky neighbour who is well into fitness and alternative medicines and whatnot and the dude starts talking about an extract from spinach taken orally at high enough quantities was producing measurable muscle mass and hypertrophy gains over a control group with zero kidney or liver toxicology. I brought up Google scholar and everything he said was true and if I recall the study was funded by WADA
Spinach roids.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Sorry there is no way that's true I must have watched 40 straight hours of popeye on a drug bender.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Remember that guy who drank a poo poo load of Stevia and then got kicked in the nuts a bunch to show it made him feel no pain?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Remember that guy who drank a poo poo load of Stevia and then got kicked in the nuts a bunch to show it made him feel no pain?

Proved something to me for sure.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Brut posted:

This is specifically WWE layoffs though right and not on the UFC side?

That's why OP said "so it begins". If WWE's doing layoffs this quick after the merger, UFC's layoffs likely will be soon too

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE Friday fights !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3fn4frz-pM

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cagliostr0 posted:

his responsibility to produce a bas if it was over 75k Australian.

A what?

Marching Powder posted:

Proved something to me for sure.

Proved nothing to me which is why I'm continuing to research the situation on his OnlyFans.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CarlCX posted:

He pays for his team’s travel and board out of this, right? Probably nets a few thousand bucks after their cut and all the other expenses.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is the airfare deduction cuz the UFC books it for you? I imagine most people who elect to just roll with it and focus on camp instead of trying to save a couple hundred on fares. But to Australia certainly stings extra.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The USA taxes non-resident aliens (IE any foreign fighter coming to the USA to fight) at 30%. It isn't as high as Australia, but is still pretty high considering that zero medical bills will be covered after. Some states may have income tax on top of that, as well. The villain here is the garbage rear end pay from the UFC and their lack of support of their fighters.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Makdessi will get a lot of that back come EOFY. The real crime is making 28/28 after 13 years? of fighting in the ufc

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

I'm away from my computer so I can't be bothered checking if this was a dream or not but this is funny enough to relay anyway. I have a slightly kooky neighbour who is well into fitness and alternative medicines and whatnot and the dude starts talking about an extract from spinach taken orally at high enough quantities was producing measurable muscle mass and hypertrophy gains over a control group with zero kidney or liver toxicology. I brought up Google scholar and everything he said was true and if I recall the study was funded by WADA
Spinach roids.

popeye tried to fuckin show people but the sport wasn't ready

blue footed boobie posted:

He pays for his team’s travel and board out of this, right? Probably nets a few thousand bucks after their cut and all the other expenses.

kimbo305 posted:

Is the airfare deduction cuz the UFC books it for you? I imagine most people who elect to just roll with it and focus on camp instead of trying to save a couple hundred on fares. But to Australia certainly stings extra.

https://twitter.com/chase_hooper/status/1702422069005410373

So if you have more than one person in your corner, which absolutely every fighter in the UFC does, it comes out of your check.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cool TKZ tribute art by Seung Eun Kim

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
UFC pay is ridiculously low.

As previously said, Australians fighting in the USA would have 30% of their purse taxed.

John Makdessi will be able to deduct the 45% aussie tax he paid on his USA federal taxes, so likely paying very little to no USA Federal taxes next April.

The UFC only pays for 1 corner person to fly, so the fighters always end up paying for more air travel for additional corners.

I am not your tax professional, etc etc.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

TheKingslayer posted:

Are you thinking of oldtimes SA object of fascination Dan Quinn, inventor of the violin method and the pioneer of cold fusion research?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgPZ5F2dXI

They dogged him

DOGGED him

Cal Worsham

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

John Makdessi will be able to deduct the 45% aussie tax he paid on his USA federal taxes, so likely paying very little to no USA Federal taxes next April.

This probably doesn't change your overall point but just for clarity, John Makdessi is Canadian.

Anyway

Fozzy The Bear posted:

UFC pay is ridiculously low.

SquirrelGrip posted:

The real crime is making 28/28 after 13 years? of fighting in the ufc

Yeah, this.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Bloody Elbow tweeted that Bellator was going to fold but then seems to have deleted it

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Boco_T posted:

Bloody Elbow tweeted that Bellator was going to fold but then seems to have deleted it

From what I can tell this is coming from someone who is (per their twitter bio) host of "The MMA Conspiracy Hour" and two other shows named after themselves, so uh, doesn't sound reliable.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

fighter pay is tragic

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Brut posted:

This probably doesn't change your overall point but just for clarity, John Makdessi is Canadian.

:lol: I take it back then. Who cares about Canadians? Go enjoy your free health care, bitch.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is charlie campbell seriously fighting a guy on a 7 year layoff whose last fight was a KO loss to the face of BKFC mike perry

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

is charlie campbell seriously fighting a guy on a 7 year layoff whose last fight was a KO loss to the face of BKFC mike perry

Hmmm so that's kind of a tricky one, dude wants to fight and he's still got that UFC contract, isn't having him fight someone with 0 UFC fights basically the best the organization can do? It's either that or cut him, which...maybe that's what they should do, but then he's still gonna go and fight someone in some org right?

I guess if the concern is for bout quality in the UFC I can understand this seeming really lovely, but if the concern is fighter safety of that dude, I dunno, just seems like a no win situation.

Maybe I'm missing something though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

The USA taxes non-resident aliens (IE any foreign fighter coming to the USA to fight) at 30%.

Presumably that's when they're working for an American company, and performing for a predominantly American audience at least though. The Australian government just swooping in like a magpie and going "yoink" to almost half of it is honestly kind of hilarious.

But whatever, yes, the pay is garbage, and fact that the UFC makes them fly to the other side of the world and then takes that ticket out of their pay is surely actionable.