Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

I’m totally confused hahah. I wasn’t talking about canon. I don’t know why that’s important

They’re just comparing the two actors, that’s all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I haven’t seen any of the cartoons so I’m just going say i don’t know ok.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

I haven’t seen any of the cartoons so I’m just going say i don’t know ok.

You should, they’re good (and have and will continue to be referenced by the live action stuff)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It honestly changes things. Made me appreciate the prequels a little more and made love the story.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jackson is pretty dry too in those

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

euphronius posted:

Ok that’s a whole different medium

Why are you bringing it up

To change/avoid the point of contention

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Ahhh the acting on clone wars is also wooden! They emote like howdy doody, and on purpose!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I also haven't seen the cartoon; I'm talking solely about the actors/characters in the films, the prime canon if you will.

And while I can't say with too much confidence that this is definitely the case here, if the EU (aka fan fiction with "official" status) characterization of Padme & Anakin is anything like their Boba Fett, Obiwan, Vader, etc, then they almost certainly missed the point.

FunkyAl posted:

Ahhh the acting on clone wars is also wooden! They emote like howdy doody, and on purpose!

Actors rarely emote accidentally. Same goes for which takes make the final cut.

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 14, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The next step in the usual song and dance here is to say the cartoons are on some more rarefied level than other EU stuff because lucas was more directly involved. I don't really know how true that is but it's oft said. I don't have a horse in this race particularly but that seems like how a cartooner would respond to you

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Blood Boils posted:

To change/avoid the point of contention

gently caress off with this poo poo. The point of contention is that Hayden has proven he can act when given proper direction.

Now you're saying its ON PURPOSE that he acts so wooden cause thats how ANAKIN IS - according to people. I shot back that Anakin in the Clone Wars series - that takes place between AoTC and RoTS - is far from that and has a ton of character based on the direction given to him. Otherwise he would have been very similar to the live action.

Then Ahsoka comes out and Hayden channels Matt Lanters impression of him. And people are loving it. And it "redeems" (not that he needed it but I am glad people aren't making GBS threads on him anymore) Hayden.

So in comparison to how jank the PT Anakin was - this is better. Clone Wars is better.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The next step in the usual song and dance here is to say the cartoons are on some more rarefied level than other EU stuff because lucas was more directly involved. I don't really know how true that is but it's oft said. I don't have a horse in this race particularly but that seems like how a cartooner would respond to you

"Cartooner"

You know what? gently caress this thread. Why don't you all jerk each other off over on r/saltierthancrait

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't read all that, but Christensen's performance isn't wooden at all. At the time of release, I mostly remember nerds complaining that he was too "whiny" or "emo."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I remember when everyone was telling me I needed to watch Shattered Glass, because it was proof that Hayden Christensen is a good actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qW3YcXJeyg

No. He's just as wooden here.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

"Cartooner"

You know what? gently caress this thread. Why don't you all jerk each other off over on r/saltierthancrait

You're probably already gone, and fair enough. But can I just say- a lot of cartoon enthusiasts (or whatever term you prefer) seem to have a very brittle ego about it when exposed to absolutely normal forums star wars discussion tenor. I really, truly, didn't mean anything by it, relax

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Timby posted:

I remember when everyone was telling me I needed to watch Shattered Glass, because it was proof that Hayden Christensen is a good actor.

Hayden Christensen’s best performance is in Little Italy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I actually like saltier than kryat. It’s kind of cathartic

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Timby posted:

To me, this isn't wooden acting. It sounds a bit rehearsed and that's because the character is a pathological liar who has, in fact, rehearsed this little speech before. But if this is wooden acting then as far as I'm concerned that term has no meaning anymore, throw it in the pile with "grimdark".

edit: changed for clarification

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 14, 2023

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. The point of contention is that Hayden has proven he can act when given proper direction.

Now you're saying its ON PURPOSE that he acts so wooden cause thats how ANAKIN IS - according to people. I shot back that Anakin in the Clone Wars series - that takes place between AoTC and RoTS - is far from that and has a ton of character based on the direction given to him. Otherwise he would have been very similar to the live action.

Then Ahsoka comes out and Hayden channels Matt Lanters impression of him. And people are loving it. And it "redeems" (not that he needed it but I am glad people aren't making GBS threads on him anymore) Hayden.

So in comparison to how jank the PT Anakin was - this is better. Clone Wars is better.

"Cartooner"

Chill friendo

Yes, I'm saying the portrayal in the prequels is on purpose. And good, for what it was attempting to convey.

The different portrayal in the EU tv shows, both animated and live action, is also on purpose FWIW.

I haven't seen the clone wars or Obiwan, and I'm honestly not super interested in something that sounds like an attempt to "fix" something that wasn't broken. Maybe it's good! It's not impossible, just unlikely ime

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

he’s awesome in that whole movie and in this scene in particular

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Lucas is an artist with deep interests in old Hollywood, retro science fiction (especially old scifi serials), and midcentury Americana.

The big question is if his largely self-funded magnum opus reflected those interests on purpose, or if instead he meant to make modern style blockbuster (a form of filmmaking he helped develop) and accidentally hosed that up in the exact precise way to make a film that reflects his interests on accident.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Which to be clear — because I guess this needs to be said — that doesn't mean you have to like them or that they're beyond criticism. But a lot of particular questions about his creative decisions do have fairly clear answers if you're familiar with what he's referencing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's important to remember that Dex's Diner, which is a retro throwback to every Gen X and later person who ever watched the movie, was a real childhood thing for Lucas and his generation.

Like if Obi-Wan went into a credit-gobbling Space Arcade and Roller Rink while tracking down a fugitive, wouldn't bother me a bit. Might make any generation that came after a little confused/wreck their verisimilitude, though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's important to remember that Dex's Diner, which is a retro throwback to every Gen X and later person who ever watched the movie, was a real childhood thing for Lucas and his generation.

Like if Obi-Wan went into a credit-gobbling Space Arcade and Roller Rink while tracking down a fugitive, wouldn't bother me a bit. Might make any generation that came after a little confused/wreck their verisimilitude, though.

The deleted Tosche’s Station scene from ANH is likewise a archetypal 1950’s youth hangout spot where everyone parks their hot rod, complete with one of those table-style Pong arcade machines.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

galagazombie posted:

The deleted Tosche’s Station scene from ANH is likewise a archetypal 1950’s youth hangout spot where everyone parks their hot rod, complete with one of those table-style Pong arcade machines.

I agree except for one detail: there would have been no arcade machines in the 1950s. That element was a nod to an extremely new (at the time) trend of cocktail table gaming that had been ushered in a few years earlier. But yeah everything else is George's Teen Hop.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Larryb posted:

We’re getting a Lando movie with Donald Glover reprising his role from Solo:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/donald-glovers-lando-project-movie-1235590985/

I assume it will be about Lando going to the planet of Yospooine, where the local Yosposians will teach him how to gently caress his navcomputer?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Christensen doing the James Earl Jones trumpety voice is very fun.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Only actors I hate are bad people not bad actors

gently caress you James woods and gently caress you too Joe don "Mitchel" baker

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

“The stilted/bad performance was on purpose, and not a result of bad writing or directing” certainly is an opinion someone can hold, yes sir.

Blood Boils posted:

the EU (aka fan fiction with "official" status)

It isn’t EU, those shows are more Star Wars in another medium. Even if you choose to disregard them because they’re Not Movies (which is a bizarre criteria), the creators and contributors to the multimedia franchise that is Star Wars don’t see it that way.

Like it’s not exactly “fan fiction”, it’s not like someone wrote an unofficial Star Wars story like a spec script and then Lucasfilm picked it up after the fact and said “we like this, it’s official now”. No, they set out with a project in mind, hired writers and directors and actors and animators, laid out the project with intent, and made it (just like a movie).

Even for other franchises, saying “EU is official fan fiction” requires such a narrow and misguided understanding of how licensed media works that it’s downright baffling.

And I’m saying this as someone who isn’t a rabid Filoni fanboy and watched Clone Wars and Rebels once and thought it was fine to good.

The point is that labeling it as “the EU” as if it’s some kind of pejorative is bizarre. It’s like saying the MCU tv shows are “the EU”. No, they’re part of the MCU.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 15, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"the shows are part of the MCU" is not the triumphant rejoinder you think it is

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ungulateman posted:

"the shows are part of the MCU" is not the triumphant rejoinder you think it is

The quality of the shows isn’t the point

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vintersorg posted:

I guess none of you watched Life As A House where Hayden is a whiny teenager but in this case he’s great. The ending made me bawl like crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWBQ5ra0jP0

I saw it around when it came out and yeah, he's good in it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Upsidads posted:

Only actors I hate are bad people not bad actors

gently caress you James woods and gently caress you too Joe don "Mitchel" baker

Joe Don Baker? Was he in these?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

he played jabba

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It's not my fault the EU is a pejorative or that it comes across negatively! They did that to themselves!

They shouldn't have done that imo, but they did and I don't see why we can't point it out when it sucks 9 times out of ten

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The spinoffs are Star Wars, as are the games, toys and placemats. However, they are not movies!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Is Bigger Luke fanfic or G-Canon because he's in the movies?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Turns out Luke didn’t die on Ahch-To.

That was Bigger Luke.

The real Luke is gonna be in the next series of Rey movies.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I'd watch a rey-luke movie. Maybe she resurrected him & he's grouchy about it

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

The quality of the shows isn’t the point

Mwah.

Slop as all Disney’s shows are, the Obi Wan Show definitely never happened.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blood Boils posted:

the EU (aka fan fiction with "official" status)

Lucas was essentially the showrunner for a lot of TCW. He pitched ideas both for broad arcs/concepts (Ahsoka, the return of Maul) and for specific stories (D-Squad), hired writers/directors, rewrote or ordered rewrites of episodes and plot arcs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should let him do one of the Disney shows