Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Peraza has been hitting better lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm not writing them off. I'm just saying they can't be starters to start the 2024 season in the big leagues or be counted on to be major parts of the team next year. I think they all need to start in AAA if the Yankees are actually trying to win in 24.

Re: Catcher. I would be shocked if Trevino didn't get the job back in 2024. They love him. Wells should start in AAA to play every day.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 14, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

STAC Goat posted:

It would be beyond silly to write off any of those the Yankee rookies based off of a few weeks, but it will of course happen with a subsection of the fanbase.

Wells will probably be the Yankee catcher April 1st since they seem to like what he’s done defensively and with the staff and give his bat a chance to come around. Pereira and Peraza aren’t winning starting spots right now but I imagine they’ll be playing for spots in Spring Training. Cabrera probably serves the super utility bench role. My guess is they’re all on the opening day roster if healthy but they could well all be in the bench instead of the starting lineup.

But they’re rookies. Expecting them to be fully formed players with 70 ABs is absurd.

I think at the very least Wells will replace Higashioka and then they’ll figure out what to do when Trevino returns.

Cabrera is absolutely going to fill IKF’s role as the super utility guy especially since he’s cheap.

With Dominguez out they have even more questions to answer in the outfield. They’re gonna need to get creative next year if they want to address the offense.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think it's more likely that Trevino and Rortvelt are the catchers to start the season and Wells stays in AAA to play every day.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Is Trevino due back by the start of next season? Wrist injuries always scare me

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm not supposed to be the one to make this joke but:

Cora has a real can-do attitude, the signs are clear he'd do a bang-up job

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Cora becoming the POBO and then hiring Beltran as manager would be perfect.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

zoux posted:

What happened to Akil Baddoo

Babip regression and the emergence of Kerry Carpenter, mostly. The power/speed combo is still nice, but he's pretty much been relegated to 4th OF (which isn't the end of the world for a guy they got in Rule V initially).

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

howe_sam posted:

By all accounts Bloom thought the Red Sox had made a perfectly reasonable offer at the winter meetings (iirc somewhere around what Marcus Semien got) and was completely blindsided by SD's offer. There was a fair bit of purple prose written about Bloom's reaction, and it didn't strike me as the response of a guy making a "we tried" offer.

The real problem, of course, was that they let Xander get to free agency, and there they did low ball him with an offer to pick up the last three years of his contract plus which totaled something like 4/90. If they'd offered him Story's deal, or maybe a little more, I think Xander takes it imo. Not that I think that really moves the needle all that much this season.

Yeah, if they had made the same offer to Xander the previous winter he's still in Boston, but they just kept pitching garbage until it was too late. Pretty sure Boras is his agent too, so I don't know why they thought they'd get him to take a low-ball offer.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I wonder if the Padres would trade Bogaerts back to them, even if they eat some money. They've got Kim and presumably want to re-sign Soto.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kris bryant hit 20% of his entire season's home run output in one series against the cubs

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

kris bryant hit 20% of his entire season's home run output in one series against the cubs

Kris Betrayant

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

this entire series is somehow more embarrassing than the time the Raptors lost to DeMar Derozan’s daughter

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Isentropy posted:

this entire series is somehow more embarrassing than the time the Raptors lost to DeMar Derozan’s daughter

lol that owned

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I was initially pretty annoyed with Bloom getting the can, mostly because I think this is an important offseason and a new GM is going to have to get familiar with the system very quickly if they want to make some important trades, but it sounds like Bloom had mostly ruined his reputation among GMs and no one wanted to deal with him.

Obviously this stuff could all just be coming out to smear him and make ownership look good, but rumors are there was an offer for Sale last year AFTER he broke his finger to dump his salary and get prospects but he didn't do it because he wasn't happy with the prospects, and deals for Verdugo to the Astros and Paxton to the Dodgers that fell through at the deadline because he was haggling over which prospects to get.

Either way he came into a pretty awful situation in Boston (Forced to trade Mookie, dead last farm system, forced to get under the cap after being over 2 years in a row) and he built the farm up and the future is looking good. Whoever comes in next has all the right pieces to turn the team into a contender if they make the right moves and the front office is willing to spend.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1702506263563673910

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
whoof

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/1702512228488900690?s=20

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Over the four-game series, the Ranger's catcher Heim had 8 RBI's in total. The entire Toronto lineup had only 9 RBI's in all four games combined. One single player's production almost matched an entire other team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
remember a week ago when the rangers fans were all giving up

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

baseball rules

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Intruder posted:

You're right the bullpen won't let me down again

that's impossible!!!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

baseball rules

no it sucks and is cruel and I hate it and I'll watch it endlessly

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mr. Fix It posted:

i have a feeling m's, astros and rangers fans will suffer alternating waves of despair and ecstasy for the rest of the season.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

You're right the bullpen won't let me down again

that's impossible!!!

Leclerc and Hernandez are back baby! Please please please

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Jays are a really depressing team to watch this year

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Intruder posted:

A week ago they were dogshit garbage but now they’re very good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nodoze posted:

Peraza has been hitting better lately

He brought back the leg kick!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

First place is not at all surprising, I would have absolutely thought the Cubs would be a strong second place, though.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

The Jays are a really depressing team to watch this year

Obviously he's still young etc but I'm Starting to worry 2022 was an anomoly from Vlad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wezlar posted:

Obviously he's still young etc but I'm Starting to worry 2022 was an anomoly from Vlad.

He rocked out for the first 50 games of the year this year. He's definitely struggled the second half but its less than 100 games total. He might not be best hitter in baseball good but I still think he has a 130 OPS+ as a baseline going forward.

The biggest reason for the Jays hitting problems aren't him, its Varsho and Kirk and until a month ago Springer who have given basically nothing all year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wezlar posted:

Either 2022 was or, 2023 is. His batted ball data is almost identical (more FBs this year, even!), he's walking more and striking out less, but the outcomes have been pretty wildly different.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It would've been truly hilarious if the Yankees and Red Sox traded Schmidt for Verdugo. I wonder who said no lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

It would've been truly hilarious if the Yankees and Red Sox traded Schmidt for Verdugo. I wonder who said no lol

Hopefully the Yankees cause Verdugo is JAG and a piece of poo poo off the field

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cleveland's mascot looks like a walking STD, in case you were wondering

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"There is no rule 34 of the white sox mascot but there's one of the white sox logo loving the cubs logo"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm astonished the Phanatic isn't #2

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Wezlar posted:

The Blue Jays had Semien in 2021; he was replaced by Espinal. I wonder how much of a difference that made.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who do the Jays play next? The Rangers took the rear end beating the Astros put on them and delivered it to Toronto, I wanna see if we can keep paying it forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Hopefully the Yankees cause Verdugo is JAG and a piece of poo poo off the field

He's like a 105 OPS+ lefty hitter. He would be a MASSIVE upgrade for them over 7/9 of their lineup.