Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Marenghi posted:

I've no idea what life in pieces is in. But the bar shot did remind me of the set from How I Met Your Mother and I guess that's why.

For a show I liked when I was younger HIMYM has not aged well. There was a lot of humor and plots that were rapey in retrospect, it would not have survived being aired during the metoo era.
Barney suddenly deciding that women are people because he had a daughter and then yelling at the women he used to gently caress because they were being slutty is just so, so very hosed up that it was obvious when it aired.

The show was behind the times when it was still on the air, but you're not wrong. The great societal awakening happened during the run of that show.

Not a single season of that show goes by that there isn't a joke that's just "lol that chick's a dude."

No craft. No punchline. Just "trans people exist. Isn't that gross and hilarious?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the producers' treatment of Roz I might not have gotten my hopes up. Sitcoms of that era were pretty bad about actually developing women, from what I recall.

Honestly Roz feels like an extremely modern woman on rewatch. Much less of a caricature than the other women on the show.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Ugh. Bulldog.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wendigee posted:

Ugh. Bulldog.

He’s funny

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MarcusSA posted:

He’s funny

If he was less pathetic he'd be less funny

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If he was less pathetic he'd be less funny

That is the whole joke. Well, that and he's a walking example of what not to do with the point being he does those things because he's a horrible person. If anything almost ahead of its time given say, the whole deal with Barney in How I Met Your Mother a decade later.

I'm reminded of when Johnny Bravo was first pitched to Cartoon Network, apparently the men were unsure about how it'd go over with women, but the women were all for it. The whole point after all is that his behaviour is inappropriate and counterproductive.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly Roz feels like an extremely modern woman on rewatch. Much less of a caricature than the other women on the show.
and she's pro union :swoon:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Wendigee posted:

Ugh. Bulldog.

This stinks. This is total BS.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The downturn of the show is correlated with Daphne getting more normal. The original weird psychic with very dark issues regarding her mother was perfect. Her stories about her family were another bright spot of her characterization, just off screen. The kind of characters who would never be as funny in person, like Maris.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 5, 2023

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The downturn of the show is correlated with Daphne getting more normal. The original weird psychic with very dark issues regarding her mother. Her stories about her family were another bright spot of her characterization, just off screen. The kind of characters who would never be as funny in person, like Maris.

There'll be nooooo naps in Hell

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, after she gets with Niles, Daphne just kind of absorbs all the plots and character traits typically assigned to White Sitcom Girlfriend. She stands next to Niles and makes sarcastic quips and gets jealous sometimes.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

They basically had to demolish Daphne and Niles and rebuild them to make the two of them together even remotely plausible, great way to ruin a show

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Guys I am freaking out about the dynamics of Frasier. Why did they make such a problematic show??

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Wendigee posted:

Ugh. Bulldog.

Bulldog FUCKS.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

BigBadSteve posted:

Bulldog FUCKS.

But never makes a meaningful connection

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cosmik Slop posted:

They basically had to demolish Daphne and Niles and rebuild them to make the two of them together even remotely plausible, great way to ruin a show

Pretty standard sitcom romance blunder, Moonlighting is the OG I think.

Maybe it'd work better if they focused on the class angle?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You think DHP and Bulldog's Real Name ever hooked up?

Considering there have only been 2 or maybe 3 funny shows that came after it, I think you could ease up a little on the later seasons.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty standard sitcom romance blunder, Moonlighting is the OG I think.

Maybe it'd work better if they focused on the class angle?

I want to say focus on their differences in an endearing way while avoiding everything that made Dharma & Greg

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'll spoiler it I guess but some fundamental info about the reboot:

Its set in Boston, thats already been said. Freddie apparently has taken more after his grandfather, and Frasier has moved back to Boston after Martin's death to try and reconnect with his son, which is a prospect Freddie isn't all that interested in. Niles and Daphne's son has also followed Frasier to Boston.

There is a character who is a friend of Frasier who teaches at Harvard, as well as another who is head of said school's psych department and is trying to convince Frasier to teach there. There is a regular bar that is featured, called Mahoney's, which is a nice touch.

Still think it would be naive to get hopes up but I'm a little warmer to the idea after reading that bit of info.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The first proper trailer has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz--6tGukuw

I'm reserving judgement - the pacing of the jokes doesn't seem like classic Frasier, but that could just be the need to fit them into a 90 second trailer.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

codo27 posted:

I'll spoiler it I guess but some fundamental info about the reboot:

Its set in Boston, thats already been said. Freddie apparently has taken more after his grandfather, and Frasier has moved back to Boston after Martin's death to try and reconnect with his son, which is a prospect Freddie isn't all that interested in. Niles and Daphne's son has also followed Frasier to Boston.

There is a character who is a friend of Frasier who teaches at Harvard, as well as another who is head of said school's psych department and is trying to convince Frasier to teach there. There is a regular bar that is featured, called Mahoney's, which is a nice touch.

Still think it would be naive to get hopes up but I'm a little warmer to the idea after reading that bit of info.

Freddie is a cop who lives in a run-down house. The show opens with Frasier moving in and setting up his fancy Louis XIV armchair in the middle of the living room...

Okay, no, but that's what I'd do.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

List of Characters from Frasier people would like to see in a spinoff:

1) Niles
2) Roz
3) Martin
78) Bulldog
79) Freddy
80) Daphne

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GolfHole posted:

1) Niles
2) Roz
3) Martin
78) Bulldog
79) Freddy

0) Eddie
-1) Lilith

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

- A Lot Lower Than That: Any member of Daphne's family.

- Even Lower: Frasier's Greek Relatives.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Seriously forget Frasier and give me Clavin

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

A Roz show would have been just lovely

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Roz spin off with Cam Winston.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

ynohtna posted:

Roz spin off with Cam Winston.

She's a producer for his TV talk show, "Smile for the Cam."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ok, they did a good job with the trailer. It looks about as good as I could expect. It seems possible that it'll be season 11 quality which would be worth watching once, at least.

His college friend or whoever does seem like a pretty transparent stand-in for Martin, but I guess that just means they recognize the need for a character like that, and obviously they can't get the real thing...

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 14, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

GolfHole posted:

1) Niles
2) Roz
3) Martin
78) Bulldog
79) Freddy
80) Daphne

Grassy Knowles posted:

0) Eddie
-1) Lilith
No love for Ronnie??? (I kid, I kid)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

dont say her name. im still mad that marty and cam winston's mom didn't end up together

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i hope they offered it to the real freddy and he turned it down but i suspect not

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I agree the trailer looks about as good as you can make that show look given the direction they decided to take, but I'm still bowing out. Nothing about that made me want to give it a chance.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I haven't learned my lesson from the new Indy, I'm going to watch it. I just hope it's not turn it off before the first episode is over bad.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It's really funny how they leaned into Kelsey's alcoholism and just ran with it, they ran with it for like 10 miles lmao

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

It just looks like they took the character and dumped him into a run of the mill sitcom with nothing else brought over from the original show. That said, I'll give it a go and will no doubt end up watching the whole thing.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Looks like err, everybody loves ramond or young sheldon. bland. Whilst Frasier still might have it as a character you want to see, surrounding him by utter bores and shallow nothings will do nothing to make this watchable.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It reminds me of when Boy Meets World went to college

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Khanstant posted:

It reminds me of when Boy Meets World went to college

As long as it doesn't become Saved By the Bell where they went to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
They should’ve mellowed Frasier into more of a Marty character and then have his son be the prissy snob. Like a circle 🙂