Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm still in it for day 1 EA to get my fixing. I don't think I'll burn out by the time the real deal hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I only got into Hades after it was already out, and I think ideally I'll wait for the full version of Hades 2, as well. But I fear I don't have the willpower to resist jumping into EA...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm in my 30s so I don't actually know what EA means, other than you can point at a new game you don't like and say "That's early access"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Torrannor posted:

I only got into Hades after it was already out, and I think ideally I'll wait for the full version of Hades 2, as well. But I fear I don't have the willpower to resist jumping into EA...

samesies

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Early Access means an incomplete version of the game is available for sale. It can be a really useful tool for extending development time on a game. It can also be used by unscrupulous people to get away with selling something incomplete and lovely. There are good games and bad games in EA. It sucks that the game industry in general has pushed towards making it such a common practice, but that doesn't mean games like Hades or Caves of Qud are bad just because they use it.

I don't think being in your 30s has anything to do with understanding things. If you find yourself unable to process new information, please see a doctor.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Thank you! Always appreciate when I can learn something via a quick read vs a 10 minute youtube vid (as preferred by the youths)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm in my 30s so I don't actually know what EA means, other than you can point at a new game you don't like and say "That's early access"

I guess it depends on the company and the title but in this case Hades EA started with just half the game (When I tried it, the game stopped at asphodel) and only a few of the gods/weapons. With areas/gods/weapons/etc being added with various updates. If this game follows a similiar trajectory you might expect something similiar for early EA.

Though the best thing about the EA for Hades is it really let them refine the combat system. Supergiant is a fantastic studio but gameplay has always been a bit of a weakness of theirs. Bastion was alright, but Transistor and Pyre were rather clunky in their respective gameplay segments. I don't know if they'll need the 2 years since they've already learned a lot of lessons with the original Hades but I do hope the EA period is lengthy enough to polish things to where they need to be. I'm sure Supergiant will make the right call, whatever that happens to be.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm in my mid 30s.

I will probably avoid early access Hades 2 because the writing is the biggest draw for me. I bet the gameplay would be fun to see at different stages of development, but I think the writing will be better if I only start after everything is finished.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It is very easy for me right now to logically say that of course I'll just wait until the full release of Hades 2 in order to take in the full breadth of the writing as a complete package, but I also realize that when it actually hits EA in a year or whatever I am almost certainly going to cave and jump in immediately.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Wittgen posted:

I'm in my mid 30s.

Yeah hey I hope I didn't hit a nerve there. I appreciated you explaining early access (loudly and slowly, so I would understand)

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
yaaaaay(des)

Probably gonna jump right into Early Access when it releases.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I wanna play EA but I only play on Switch 😭 might have to learn how to play with a mouse and keyboard, yuck.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

they have controllers on PCs these days

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
You can even use a switch pro controller with little difficulty, just plug it in and futz around with some settings on steam.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've never played Hades using mouse/keyboard. I'm on PC.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Despite the warnings I exclusively played m+kb and never really suffered too much for it. Still fell in every bit of lava like an idiot but seems that's common.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

falling in every bit of lava happens to the most successful speed runners who perfectly dash-dodge all enemy attacks always so don't beat yourself up about it

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
m+kb seems so obviously superior to me but idk i guess i have terminal pc gamer brain.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

DontMockMySmock posted:

m+kb seems so obviously superior to me but idk i guess i have terminal pc gamer brain.

Mouse aiming seems superior but only having 8 directional movement seemed real bad when I briefly tried it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aim? In Hades?

aim what? :hist101:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
M+KB is good in Bastion because it helps with God’s own weapon, the cavalry rifle. Deeply mediocre in the other three. A few months back I played through Transistor with a controller for the first time, and it was like taking off the weighted clothing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chippy posted:

Mouse aiming seems superior but only having 8 directional movement seemed real bad when I briefly tried it.

It's not much of a loss, evasion in Hades is way, way more about i-frame abuse than it is actual positioning.

It's also not much of a gain unless you're using the ranged weapons, but as far as I'm concerned the other four weapons don't exist :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm going to spam the dash and attack buttons as God Zeus intended and when I remember I'll throw out some casts, and all of that is far easier to do with a controller

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Mouse movement, keyboard aiming, got it *adds to gamedev notes*

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I liked Bastion and Transistor better on controller but Hades better on KB+M. This is mostly because I hate the aim assist in Hades, I'm not sure what they did but it's WAY overtuned and constantly snaps me to enemies I was not trying to focus on at that moment, and aiming on controller without the assist on is way clunkier than mouse.

You absolutely need to do some remaps though, I put Special on RMB and then put Cast on L Shift.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
The problem with playing on a PC is that I can't hold it up to my face

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chippy posted:

Yeah, moving around and avoiding things seems way easier with controller, and aiming was much easier than I expected (partly because I think the game will auto-lock to enemies).

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Why not?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Because that's not how PCs work. For those, you get duct taped to the ceiling.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Steam Deck stays winning

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

as someone who got a Deck 7 days ago I can quite confidently say it loving owns and is well worth the price for a True Gamer on the Go. but for specifically Hades the Switch laps it (I haven't tried any other games that share the platforms)

E: if you want to play it on Deck I'd recommend a separate controller (or kb+m lol), the onboard Deck one is acceptable but not nearly as ergonomic as even the docked-joycons and feels less agile

indigi fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 16, 2023

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I hate the glitch on switch that makes the wave attacks during the [REDACTED] fight invisible sometimes

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hades rules but I’ll probably wait for the full release on Hades 2. By the time the full game came out I barely touched it cuz I already had like 60 full runs from EA

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, the guy voicing Zagreus composed basically all the amazing soundtrack in this game? My mind is blown!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Torrannor posted:

Wait, the guy voicing Zagreus composed basically all the amazing soundtrack in this game? My mind is blown!

Yeah Darren Korb is the best, he's soundtracked all of Supergiant's games. He voiced Zag as a placeholder early in development and obviously nailed it so they kept him on. He also provided Orpheus' singing voice, and Skelly.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

his only weakness: his complete inability to say "mate" in a natural sounding way

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

his only weakness: his complete inability to say "mate" in a natural sounding way

Probably sounds better in the original Greek.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
It's an amazingly subtle performance. In a few streams he sounded like Korb was phoning it, but he's really just giving a subdued performance. Zagreus really lets the emotion out when it matters. The rest of the time he's just *really deadpan*.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

To clarify, I think his performance is excellent, it's just that every time he says "mate" it's like he's biting off the word. It's hard to describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

To clarify, I think his performance is excellent, it's just that every time he says "mate" it's like he's biting off the word. It's hard to describe.
He's American. We don't use that word unless we're narrating a wildlife documentary or badly imitating the English.