Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Managed a 4th place finish in F-Zero 99 (I am not that good at racing games) which I assume I will never top once everyone figures out the meta or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

For the record I’m not saying that you get rid of the wahoos and one liners. I’m just saying give them the opportunity to be more sometimes in the same way Disney’s staples sometimes get to star in something like DuckTales or A Goofy Movie.

Someone like Vivian actually being recurring would give them trans rep in the cast too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nodosaur posted:

Because they’re good and it’s give us more Mario characters who are fleshed out. You don’t see the value in this franchise having characters that do more than go “wahoo!” and “Hi, I’m Daisy!” or just cackling as they cast a magic spell?

Yeah no dude, some of us actually liked the new Mario movie.

I don't care if they come back; in fact, the more unique characters Nintendo can add, the better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah no dude, some of us actually liked the new Mario movie.

The Mario movie did exactly what I’m talking about though?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

The Mario movie did exactly what I’m talking about though?

Yeah, I'm fine with fan service is what I'm saying.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oh, you’re messing with me. Got it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

while i would love to see some Paper Mario homies return, i think the franchise has got its fair share of recurring characters already and if them being locked to their respective games makes them feel more unique and give the PM games the charm of feeling like a different world and different adventure, so be it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

My issue with the older Paper Mario games is that all the characterization was focused on completely new characters. Like Bowser and Peach got focus but why is Kammy Koopa there when she’s basically Kamek only there are jokes about how she’s an old woman. The RPG format gives us a great chance to flesh out the Mario characters beyond their Archetypal Personalities in the main games and party and sports titles, but PM was more concerned with OCs.

that’s a stupid issue

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And now it’s getting weirdly personal. Hooray.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Basically Nintendo needs to make a new Mario Baseball and fill the roster with the Paper Mario partners.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Oh, you’re messing with me. Got it.

;)

I like Goombella and all the rest of them, but if they never appear again, I'm fine with that too. It's a large universe; plenty of room for one shots.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

calling a post stupid is a deep personal cut now huh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Palmtree Panic posted:

Basically Nintendo needs to make a new Mario Baseball and fill the roster with the Paper Mario partners.

bring everyone in for Mario Football

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Augus posted:

calling a post stupid is a deep personal cut now huh

Not a deep cut, but still unnecessary. I never disparaged anyone, I just tried to make my point. I don’t see why you can’t keep to the same sense of decency as everyone else.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The “OCs” are fun because they make the Mario world feel bigger and more varied than the dozen or so characters that always show up to play golf together and it gives a sense of adventure

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And I’m saying I want those dozen or so characters to be given a tiny bit of depth. Is that so wrong?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

And I’m saying I want those dozen or so characters to be given a tiny bit of depth. Is that so wrong?

No, you're not wrong, that'd be cool too. Everyone should get their Professor Egad moment

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

implying Wario and Waluigi aren’t exactly as deep as they should be

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In a perfect world we’d get stuff like the PM companions and more characters than just Bowser or Peach being allowed to do things.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Augus posted:

implying Wario and Waluigi aren’t exactly as deep as they should be

Wario gets plenty of characterization in Wario Ware

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Morpheus posted:

drat dude hope everything's alright.

Considering Mythforce to play with friends, sounds like a fun time.

Oh I’m fine. Just headed towards cold weather, scouts is starting back up, and I have a years long backlog. I put something like 100 hours into Pokémon arceus when it came out and lost my game save when I got my oled switch. Lost my animal crossing island twice, etc. I still need to finish fallout 4 which is the reason I bought my Xbox one in early 2018 and I haven’t put meaningful hours in since 2020.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Large Testicles posted:

i swear to god it was right now. i'm 40 years, 8 months and 3 days old, i've been playing mario games since the combo system with track and field and duck hunt and i just now realized goombas are also supposed to be mushrooms. before you ask what i thought they were, i dont know, just goombas? i never actually thought about it, i just murdered them

their names in Japanese translate to "chestnut person," but yeah they're basically shiitake

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm content if Geno or Fawful or Goombella or whoever never show up in another game; but at the same time, I would rather have Geno or Fawful or Goombella in Mario Kart than Peachette, Pink Metal Peach, Cat Suit Peach, or another god drat baby

I understand character models take time and so forth and there's other elements in play, but get these fuckin' babies outta here we got too many babies, nobody likes playing the babies that much and half the babies don't make any sense anyway I am drowning in reskins and babies

Mario Kart 9 for the Switch 2 is going to reveal Baby Metal Mario and I am just, going to explode

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oh poo poo baby defenders are going to gently caress your day up

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sr-oXaJ04k

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Read After Burning posted:

Your Direct summary posts kick rear end, I love em! ❤️

Thanks and thanks to everyone else for their kind words! But now I'm particularly embarrassed because I just realized they're typed "reaction" videos and oh my god, was I the Video Game youtuber all along?!
(I'm glad it helps. I actually go back to them myself to see what I should wishlist for future purchase, right now it's Trombone Champ and I'm considering Paper Mario or the other JRPGs).

Morpheus posted:

....man I'm dumb as hell I didn't even notice that.

I mean they're fruit but is there more to it? Is it because peaches are drupes and grapes berries?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Get your rear end a copy of Suikoden 2 asap (and then buy the 1&2 remake when they come out next year). Suikoden 2 is hands down one of the best RPGs of the 90s and has one of the best RPG villains period.

Playing Suikoden 1 will give some backstory for 2 (and let you carry a few things over from 1 to 2) but isn't necessary to play, though it is still pretty good for an early PSX RPG but has plenty of early RPG jank. It's also not too terribly difficult because the MC is extremely OP.

Seems like Konami is planning a remaster so maybe I can actually do that. I love old JRPGs. They just take time. I've been good about not building a back log but TotK killed that for me. I still have Omori to finish. I'll get there.

B33rChiller posted:

Hey, thanks for the effort post.
I would still recommend playing Luigi ghost buster on the 3ds. It's one of a handful of games where I've been grateful for the 3d effect. Don't regret that purchase.

Did I read that correct, they made a multiplayer f-zero?

Yeah. A battle royale. I haven't tried it but you race with 99 others. It's the SNES version of the game so it lacks some of the speed feel of the 3D games, but it's still very stylish. My only regret is the 4 car choice.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I keep crashing out in F Zero 99 because I keep misjudging when it is the final lap and dumping all my energy into boosting…

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

Not a deep cut, but still unnecessary. I never disparaged anyone, I just tried to make my point. I don’t see why you can’t keep to the same sense of decency as everyone else.

lol. the switch thread is getting indecent

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Decency. On a website that refers to itself constantly as "a dead gay forum", and the creator of photoshops and videos mocking every notable human tragedy in recorded history.

:rolleyes:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/i/status/1702566208396996859

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thousand year door should have been more like paper jam
and also, steak should taste more like cough syrup

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
If I've learnt anything about Paper Mario fans is that they hate Paper Mario the most

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So lemme get this straight. AFTER they make Luigi’s Mansion 3, they say they’re coming out with Luigi’s Mansion 2?

What’s next? Luigi’s Mansion ONE?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So lemme get this straight. AFTER they make Luigi’s Mansion 3, they say they’re coming out with Luigi’s Mansion 2?

What’s next? Luigi’s Mansion ONE?

It's a port of the original Luigi's Mansion 2, which released at the end of the 3DS' lifetime and also was kinda mid according to people.

also don't joke, they're capable of making a Luigi's Mansion 1 HD port (even if that would be more welcome)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My only regret is the 4 car choice.

Unlocking decals and different colours and whatnot helps add to the variation. I get your point (literally the 2nd F-Zero game went from 4 vehicles to what.... 30?), but eventually, you'll be seeing more and more variations zooming around as other people unlock stuff I assume.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm content if Geno or Fawful or Goombella or whoever never show up in another game; but at the same time, I would rather have Geno or Fawful or Goombella in Mario Kart than Peachette, Pink Metal Peach, Cat Suit Peach, or another god drat baby

I understand character models take time and so forth and there's other elements in play, but get these fuckin' babies outta here we got too many babies, nobody likes playing the babies that much and half the babies don't make any sense anyway I am drowning in reskins and babies

Mario Kart 9 for the Switch 2 is going to reveal Baby Metal Mario and I am just, going to explode
Are babies the Anime Swordfighters of Mario Kart?

D.Fuzzbot posted:

If I've learnt anything about Paper Mario fans is that they hate Paper Mario the most
I feel like that is increasingly becoming the MO of every fandom period.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think it's okay for 40 hour rpg's to have original characters contained within that story and I don't think it would be improved if you replaced them with Daisy or the magikoopa from Yoshi's Island

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Unlocking decals and different colours and whatnot helps add to the variation. I get your point (literally the 2nd F-Zero game went from 4 vehicles to what.... 30?), but eventually, you'll be seeing more and more variations zooming around as other people unlock stuff I assume.

What I appreciate about the 4 car selection is that each car gets its own record in time trials. This is great for finding your best car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's a port of the original Luigi's Mansion 2, which released at the end of the 3DS' lifetime and also was kinda mid according to people.

also don't joke, they're capable of making a Luigi's Mansion 1 HD port (even if that would be more welcome)

LM2 was indeed mid.