Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angepain posted:

labour certainly has the polling figures at the moment to get a majority well over 59 seats, so it's not out of the question so long as keir doesn't find a way to gently caress it. which he might do

He's burning the midnight oil with his focus groups trying to figure out a way to gently caress it enough that he doesn't end up as PM. He's here to kick leftists out and destroy the Labour party, and he's all out of leftists.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

a whole new front? what does that mean?

like now dogs are sexist?

It's really been women oppressing men this entire time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Guavanaut posted:

Field engineering uniform is jeans and workshirt plus a clip on namebadge and whatever PPE.

Which wouldn't actually be too bad as a school uniform. You can use the namebadge to log in to whatever they have now.

My daughter's school have ditched the scannable ID badges in favour of fingerprint scanners. I'm not 100% happy about it but at least she can't accidentally leave her finger at home.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Mega Comrade posted:

Nah I like the idea of uniforms. Takes away one aspect of peer pressure as a kid, they have enough of them, they don't need more.

Agreeing with this. I am so grateful my schools had a uniform policy as it helped mask my poverty and saved me from a lot of additional harassment and abuse.

I would love to see any statistics from countries or UK schools that don't have mandatory uniforms compared to those with about bullying figures. I know there's a lot of things that could skew that data but it'd be interesting none the less.

Really uniforms just need to be cheaper and more broadly available. I don't know when they started to get so ridiculous about it having to be from specific uniform shops or the plain black skirt has to have a specific shape of pleat that no one would actually notice but imo it's bullshit. A simple colour scheme for some items is all that's really needed.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Solefald posted:

Agreeing with this. I am so grateful my schools had a uniform policy as it helped mask my poverty and saved me from a lot of additional harassment and abuse.

I would love to see any statistics from countries or UK schools that don't have mandatory uniforms compared to those with about bullying figures. I know there's a lot of things that could skew that data but it'd be interesting none the less.

Really uniforms just need to be cheaper and more broadly available. I don't know when they started to get so ridiculous about it having to be from specific uniform shops or the plain black skirt has to have a specific shape of pleat that no one would actually notice but imo it's bullshit. A simple colour scheme for some items is all that's really needed.

Bullying in UK Schools Parliament Briefing posted:

Of the 17 EU-member states surveyed under TALIS and with sufficient data, England saw the second highest proportion of school principals reporting such activity. The overall OECD average was 14%, compared to England's 29.0%.

e: Also these are some really bad figures:

Bullying in UK Schools Parliament Briefing posted:

• 36% of respondents reported having been bullied at school in the past couple of months. Mostly, the bullying had only occurred once or twice, but 10% of respondents said they’d been bullied once a week, or more.
• Adolescents from the least affluent families were more likely to report having been bullied (42%) than those from the most affluent families (33%). [so much for the uniforms helping]
• The reported incidence of being bullied peaked in school year 9 (39% of respondents in this year group saying they’d experienced it), and fell to its lowest level in year 11 (32%).
• On cyberbullying, 19% of respondents reported having experienced this in the last couple of months, but the figure differed for girls (23%) and boys (15%)

On perpetrating bullying, the research found:
• Overall, 17% of respondents reported they had engaged in bullying in the past couple of months, but there were gender differences. 20% of boys reported having done so, whilst the figure for girls was 13%

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 15, 2023

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Wolfsbane posted:

My daughter's school have ditched the scannable ID badges in favour of fingerprint scanners. I'm not 100% happy about it but at least she can't accidentally leave her finger at home.

I can't believe I went from thinking "haha, scannable ID badges in schools, how silly and over the top, what a funny joke" to this in 3 posts

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Aramoro posted:

He's having a normal one here.

https://twitter.com/Sparrow_Hater/status/1702553448863207611?s=19

If it is a joke it's hard to tell against the background of all the marblehead posters

:aaa:

that's shocking and appalling

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
don't buy a white sofa if you cba to keep it clean imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

don't recall seeing before now a person with resting Vigo the Carpathian face

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Also I don't where the poverty angle of school uniform bullying even comes from, conceptually. It feels to me like a fundamental misunderstanding of how clothes work for human beings.

Like I can't even really imagine kids getting bullied for being poor outside of like, Eton college or something? Maybe my school was this incredible outlier or something but the pupils were split into subcultures, not some weird financial caste system. There were neds, moshers, skaters and so on. You hardly needed designer clothes to get into a subculture, all my clothes came from Primark and TK Maxx and nobody even batted an eye because my style of dress fit in with my peers.

Now that's not to say bullying never happened, but it was between groups and it certainly did not matter one bloody whit if your clothing cost £10 or £500.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Is it project to discredit the idea of London Mayor by putting up ridiculous candidates constantly?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Reveilled posted:

Now that's not to say bullying never happened, but it was between groups and it certainly did not matter one bloody whit if your clothing cost £10 or £500.

Some kids are living in households where they can’t even afford the £10 option, and other kids will pick up on that and absolutely make use of it. My school was a dump with absolutely zero ‘rich’ kids and they still found a way.

I saw it at my own school with the kids on free school dinners, everyone knew why that was a thing and they got absolutely rinsed for it and that was before the poo poo they got for coming to school in obvious hand-me-down clothing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

That's basically all of europe right now

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pretty sure my school uniforms back in the 70-80s NI were subsidised in some form or other.

Buggered if i cared to remember the details at the time. :corsair:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Reveilled posted:

Like I can't even really imagine kids getting bullied for being poor outside of like, Eton college or something?

What

I went to a school in a pretty poor area and kids definitely got picked on for being a bit more poor than the others.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/TWT_NOW/status/1702645429312114740

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I was at school and we had 'non-uniform day', one of the boys in our class used to come in in school uniform anyway with an old jumper over the top. We did take the piss a bit, it wasn't until we were adults that we realized that his folks were really really poor and he only had his uniform.

Another aspect - having seen my little great niece in action is: if there's a uniform, it stops a great deal of morning tantrums over what she will wear to school.
She is a determined little madam, even when she was 5, and is thoroughly indulged by her mother & grandmother (my sister).

A local comprehensive school now has sixth form uniform which is essentially a 'business suit' ready for the interview rounds and job hunting. Do employers still expect that at interviews?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Also I don't where the poverty angle of school uniform bullying even comes from, conceptually. It feels to me like a fundamental misunderstanding of how clothes work for human beings.

Like I can't even really imagine kids getting bullied for being poor outside of like, Eton college or something?

What's that about misunderstanding how human beings work? Kids absolutely get bullied for not having things.

When I was growing up it was not having Sky TV that was a big one. That and your mum working in Asda or getting your trainers from the Market, the Ascot trainers.

My mum didn't work in Asda and I had some killer puma trainers but we didn't have Sky so that was an issue. But it was more my parents simply didn't want Sky but that line of reasoning doesn't really help against the accusations of being a poor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I liked the school uniform because I didn't have to think about what I was wearing each day and there's a sense of release when you get home and change into something more casual.

That said my schools didn't enforce what generic poo poo you wore as long as you had the school tie (subsidised) and jumper (subsidised). If you couldn't afford them with the subsidy the school would give you them for free, including replacements unless you clearly deliberately destroyed it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
My school changed to a blazer the year I moved up but it was one of those that’s proper water repellant - like you could pour water on it and it’d just run off. We were all suitably impressed no one minded.

I’m surprised parents at these places that demand uniform be bought from this one supplier don’t just walk up to the head in public and ask them how much the company’s paying them/which of their friends/relatives owns it. It’s so obvious.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I was the last year to not wear blazers at my school and after lording it over the yoofs they realised and we were to learn that the blazers were brilliant at hiding contraband due to their stiffer nature.

Then the boot of laughter was on the other metaphorical foot.

Still didn't like the blazers though.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
We all thought we looked pretty swish in our blazers to be honest, but our school was really chill and ran by basically sensible and normal people rather than authoritarian maniacs so they didn’t come with the associations I gather they do at more rigid places.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just do away with uniforms and fashion in general and put everyone in different coloured boiler suits relevant to their social status like in dystopian scifi.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
In my school wearing the blazer meant that you were either gay or posh. You also took abuse if your trainers were a cheap brand like Ascot or Dunlop, or even worse from Asda.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Reveilled posted:

Like I can't even really imagine kids getting bullied for being poor outside of like, Eton college or something? Maybe my school was this incredible outlier or something but the pupils were split into subcultures, not some weird financial caste system. There were neds, moshers, skaters and so on. You hardly needed designer clothes to get into a subculture, all my clothes came from Primark and TK Maxx and nobody even batted an eye because my style of dress fit in with my peers.

Oh yeah it was never about designer stuff in school as a kid. If you turned up to school in a designer brand then you'd get bullied by everyone saying it's a fake knock off bought at the local market. Poverty can be shown is different ways such as only owning 1 outfit and wearing the same outfit that wasn't a uniform 5 days in a row wouldn't go unnoticed, or said clothes being unclean or damaged.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was at school and we had 'non-uniform day', one of the boys in our class used to come in in school uniform anyway with an old jumper over the top. We did take the piss a bit, it wasn't until we were adults that we realized that his folks were really really poor and he only had his uniform.

This. I would always bunk off for non-uniform day for this reason.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Remember, once you are outside these gates you are representing the school!"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wolfsbane posted:

My daughter's school have ditched the scannable ID badges in favour of fingerprint scanners.
Blair: Hardening at the thought of mandatory ID cards.

Mandelson: Hardening at the thought of-

USER FELL DOWN HIS STAIRS INTO A SUITCASE AND THREW HIMSELF INTO THE THAMES FOR THIS POST

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Aramoro posted:

What's that about misunderstanding how human beings work? Kids absolutely get bullied for not having things.

When I was growing up it was not having Sky TV that was a big one. That and your mum working in Asda or getting your trainers from the Market, the Ascot trainers.

My mum didn't work in Asda and I had some killer puma trainers but we didn't have Sky so that was an issue. But it was more my parents simply didn't want Sky but that line of reasoning doesn't really help against the accusations of being a poor.

My parents had a phase of "we don't need tv, we make our own entertainment" - wow how to alienate your kids from everyone else at school.
When I was working at one place the Chief Engineer said he wasn't allowing his teenage kids to watch tv (this was before internets) and as his daughter was a bit big / awkward / dreadfully shy (like me when I was a teen) I felt that was really cruel - something else to alienate her from her peers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

There were neds, moshers, skaters and so on. You hardly needed designer clothes to get into a subculture, all my clothes came from Primark and TK Maxx and nobody even batted an eye because my style of dress fit in with my peers.

I think the reason is mainly that youth subcultures are completely inscrutable to adults and actually learning about them is anathema to the people who would write about that until something so far beyond acceptable happens like with Sophie Lancaster and then they have to. Bullying the very poor kids and very posh kids is a constant from when they were back at school so they don't have to think much about that.

I don't even know what the subcultures are now, I keep hearing about dark academia and light academia, which is apparently where you wear academic dress like you were at a gothic Victorian public school or an airy New England Ivy League, but that sounds like I'm being trolled.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Huh, well, today I learned my school really was some incredible outlier, I guess.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Just do away with uniforms and fashion in general and put everyone in different coloured boiler suits relevant to their social status like in dystopian scifi.

All kids under 10 should just wear a plain pillowcase with head & arm holes cut out in it. Over 10 you might need a duvet cover with the holes cut out in it. All these fuss about clothes, I dunno.
What used to make me laugh was Camden Lock on a Sunday - all the 'alternatives' showing their non-conformism by wearing the same black clothes uniform.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mega Comrade posted:

If you're a man and work in an office you get to be adventurous with your tie. But not much else.

I've worked in an office for 25 years and except for one lovely management consultancy it was t-shirt and jeans. It's not 1960 any more grampa ;p

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Reveilled posted:

Children can be terrible, terrible people, OP.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Solefald posted:

There should be state issued standard uniforms with a standard pattern - like the standards for electrical plugs.

Shirts, shorts, trousers, pinafore, jacket and skirt in whatever combination you want.

For full equality though everyone should wear a state issued boiler suit with your name and number stencilled on the front and back.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

Children can be terrible, terrible people, OP.
Yeah never try to work out why a bully is picking on someone. The reason one kid bullies another is because they sense that they can. Any justification is post-hoc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

Also how many jobs actually have a uniform, outside of retail and some field engineering jobs maybe.

I'm pretty sure not a single person in the picture I posted above ever needed to wear a uniform at work (well there's some lawyers and such, so depends on your definition of uniform I guess).

Most places I've worked require you to dress in at least "work casual", & my preferred attire is generally casual casual so that still counts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

If your school uniform involves a blazer that’s basically child abuse

Stop conditioning children to grow up to be suit cunts

I went to a suit oval office school for a couple years until I realised I could escape. I got the blazer from my older brother who got expelled from the same oval office school for fighting teachers and smoking weed, and the blazer had a bunch of little holes from hot rocks. Think he also got it from another dropout so not actually sure how old that blazer was.

Relatedly, I know that McD's makes you pay for their awful polyester uniforms, and the pants don't even have pockets incase you try to abscond with a pocket Filet-o-Fish or something

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm curious then, what was school like for the rest of you? Culturally I mean, among the kids, was there no sense of, like, group solidarity? I had a friend group of about 5 people when I was a teenager, but that friend group was part of a "mosher" subculture (which wasn't just moshers, it was the nerdy kids, the skaters, the music kids, the goths and so on), which would have been about 30 kids in my year, before you count the kids in years above or below. Nobody in that group would have mocked each other for their wealth (some of our friends were upper middle class, some were living in council flats, some were refugees). If you got isolated from the rest of your group you could get bullied (if you had to get home alone, for example), but it'd always be from people in other groups, and the bullying would be a in-group/out-group thing, not a rich/poor thing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Reveilled posted:

I'm curious then, what was school like for the rest of you? Culturally I mean, among the kids, was there no sense of, like, group solidarity? I had a friend group of about 5 people when I was a teenager, but that friend group was part of a "mosher" subculture (which wasn't just moshers, it was the nerdy kids, the skaters, the music kids, the goths and so on), which would have been about 30 kids in my year, before you count the kids in years above or below. Nobody in that group would have mocked each other for their wealth (some of our friends were upper middle class, some were living in council flats, some were refugees). If you got isolated from the rest of your group you could get bullied (if you had to get home alone, for example), but it'd always be from people in other groups, and the bullying would be a in-group/out-group thing, not a rich/poor thing.

Sometimes the group is "rich kids" who did a great job of bullying people in my school without a uniform so

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The picture of the Asian school uniform is pretty cool. Kids tend to be active so a uniform tracksuit that you can run around in and layer under in winter is an excellent idea, much better than tie and blazer nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Miftan posted:

Sometimes the group is "rich kids" who did a great job of bullying people in my school without a uniform so

Were there no other groups in the school? Were the rich kids the largest group?

Apologies if the questions sound weird! I feel a bit like an alien today realising my own school was apparently very not normal.