Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rinkles posted:

traits are fun, and based on my selection, fairly well done. one area where i have no complaints.

i have been disappointed so far in the neon street rat trait tbh, way fewer dialogue options than i was hoping for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wish I had done the jump trait because it turns out I love farting around on my jetpack

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

moist turtleneck posted:

I wish I had done the jump trait because it turns out I love farting around on my jetpack

combat on low g worlds is loving hilarious with the jetpack

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Icedude posted:

As in "I could totally survive the lethal amounts of radiation in this room that ends the game, but plot demands the player die so I refuse to go in there" Fawkes?

Yeah lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

moist turtleneck posted:

what's that one?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

moist turtleneck posted:

Isn't that for grav jumps not regular jumps?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

moist turtleneck posted:

It's for grav jumping. I made the same error

beaten

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DaveKap posted:

I know I'm late but just so you know the context I'm talking about, I'm very specifically talking about the transitions between light and dark, not the fact that they exists in specific volumes. I'm talking about being outside at noon in a video game, looking down at the ground, and having your entire screen brighten over the course of a full second, then looking up at the sky, and having your entire screen darken over the course of a full second. This is a very common thing and it's so very awful. At no point am I calling it a cheap trick, I'm just calling it something that way too many games do poorly as a means of simulating a human's eyeball pupil dilation speed. My eyeball already does that, I don't need a game to simulate it!

I've always found it very annoying when games do that for exactly the reason you say, my eyes will already do that themselves. That's not to say it has no place at all, but basically if I notice it, the devs hosed up.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

immersion ruined

this game raised the temperature in my office by like 3 degrees within an hour, definitely not a summer game.

some classic bethesda jank with the physics but i think i can have fun with this, might finish persona 5 first before my gamepass sub runs out again though

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
well that fuckin sucks, I thought they were cribbing from this guy

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Time for some space trucking.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So I stole my ship a while back and I’ve registered it and everything, but the previous crew has not despawned. One is still sitting there in one of the copilot chairs, dead as can be, and the other two are laying on the floor in the cockpit. Do they ever go away?

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

So I stole my ship a while back and I’ve registered it and everything, but the previous crew has not despawned. One is still sitting there in one of the copilot chairs, dead as can be, and the other two are laying on the floor in the cockpit. Do they ever go away?

Move a hab around in the ship builder mode? That resets interiors.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just got the Mantis questline ship, and I really don't like how the internals are setup aesthetically (I get that it's supposed to be a one man craft for a masked vigilante and for that it makes sense, but that's not how I'm going to use it :colbert: ) so I've tried moving stuff around and fitting a couple habitats but... is this the issue with ladders and doors people talk about? It seems that connections between habs is made without rhyme or reason,and sometimes it just tells me that I can't reach the cockpit from the landing bay even though everything in between them is habitats, so it should definitely be connected. Why is it that we can't choose where to make habitats connect? Obviously it can't be "just open all connections" because if you put a 3x1 habitat sandwiched vertically between others you'd have a ship full of ladders (also, why are the ladders so bad?)

Are there any mods fixing this? It's really, really killing my enjoyment for the ship builder if I can't actually use the thing I'm jumbling together

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 15, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I love the ship builder and my big dumb space truck

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

DaveKap posted:

I know I'm late but just so you know the context I'm talking about, I'm very specifically talking about the transitions between light and dark, not the fact that they exists in specific volumes. I'm talking about being outside at noon in a video game, looking down at the ground, and having your entire screen brighten over the course of a full second, then looking up at the sky, and having your entire screen darken over the course of a full second. This is a very common thing and it's so very awful. At no point am I calling it a cheap trick, I'm just calling it something that way too many games do poorly as a means of simulating a human's eyeball pupil dilation speed. My eyeball already does that, I don't need a game to simulate it!
Yeah, I get that. But I'm saying there's no great way for that not to happen to some extent. It can of course be tuned badly or happen at weird times, so I'm not saying it has to look jarring or bad, or change rapidly just because you happened to look down for a second. But it's not just doing it to simulate the human pupil but also a camera's aperture. Not just for the effect, but because it's just a necessary part of using a camera to capture light into an image, even a virtual camera capturing virtual light. There's a lot broader range of brightnesses in the world than what can be represented in the rendered output (i.e. your monitor), so dynamically adjusting which range of brightness gets mapped onto the output for the current scene is how the game lets you go from a dimly lit room to a bright sunny exterior and still see detail in both areas. But for that to work there obviously has to be some kind of transition period, which is the effect that you're talking about.

To be clear I think Starfield seems to have done it weirdly by changing the exposure based on where you're standing and not what you're looking at like a normal game, though that seems to be the very effect that you're complaining about anyway, so doing it the Starfield does prevent the issue of wild exposure swings just from looking around.

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 15, 2023

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the fastest way from NG+ to get a ship that can handle the fight in orbit around the final temple? Clear high-level PoIs and sell the weapons?

I was able to that fight in NG+ on normal with the Starborn ship with no issues

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jack B Nimble posted:

I chose parents and "Pilgrim" back story and they were just regular old parents, but I found that refreshing. They were proud of me and the dad would kind of impose himself on Constellation in a way I found endearing.

I will say (quest spoilers) they would give me anxiety when really bad poo poo happened in New Atlantis. IIRC they absolutely had dialogue after the terrormorph attack. I don't think they said anything after The Hunter but I sort of said my pretend goodbyes and started living on my ship then, it wasn't fair for me to hang around a city

They didn't say anything to me. Nor after I became a citizen, or a ranger, or most of the things I ran over there to tell them

Ideally a version of sfse that doesn't have a virus warning will be released soon for the latest patch so I can at least see if they care about marriage

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TorakFade posted:

I just got the Mantis questline ship, and I really don't like how the internals are setup aesthetically (I get that it's supposed to be a one man craft for a masked vigilante and for that it makes sense, but that's not how I'm going to use it :colbert: ) so I've tried moving stuff around and fitting a couple habitats but... is this the issue with ladders and doors people talk about? It seems that connections between habs is made without rhyme or reason,and sometimes it just tells me that I can't reach the cockpit from the landing bay even though everything in between them is habitats, so it should definitely be connected. Why is it that we can't choose where to make habitats connect? Obviously it can't be "just open all connections" because if you put a 3x1 habitat sandwiched vertically between others you'd have a ship full of ladders (also, why are the ladders so bad?)

Are there any mods fixing this? It's really, really killing my enjoyment for the ship builder if I can't actually use the thing I'm jumbling togheter

my razorleaf is set up so that the captain's quarters is up top where the armory is by default, and the default captain's quarters on the first floor is switched to an all-in-one hab, and no other things are added. that setup works great imo.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

my razorleaf is set up so that the captain's quarters is up top where the armory is by default, and the default captain's quarters on the first floor is switched to an all-in-one hab, and no other things are added. that setup works great imo.

I put battlestations down below and an engineering bay up top for mods on the fly. I also added two of those flat cargo bays on the sides but I had to extend the front landing gear on bracers to make it work.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I wonder, can the workbenches in The Lodge pull from the storage chest in your room? That'd save my hoarder rear end a lot of the trouble with Materials weight I've been having.

If not that's definitely a mod I'd go for, on top of letting you transfer stuff directly from your ship, given that chest's the only infinite weight storage in the game.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see

https://i.imgur.com/bUCvQ0Z.gifv

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Icedude posted:

I wonder, can the workbenches in The Lodge pull from the storage chest in your room? That'd save my hoarder rear end a lot of the trouble with Materials weight I've been having.

If not that's definitely a mod I'd go for, on top of letting you transfer stuff directly from your ship, given that chest's the only infinite weight storage in the game.

I don't think so, but all workbenches everywhere will pull from your ships hold

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Icedude posted:

There's another infinite chest right in the workbench room, I use that one instead since it's easy to just pick up everything from it and walk 2 feet to whichever bench

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

also there was that one person that was able to save the miners without firing a shot

https://i.imgur.com/zBZLdEi.gifv

Lmfao

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The temple mechanics are dumb as all hell

don't do the math on how many things you'd have to touch if you wanted to hit rank 10 in all powers - even with the mod to reduce it to *one* touch, it's still absurd.

They really should have changed it so going through the Unity upped all powers by a rank automatically. I await the inevitable mod for this

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
What's up with the regularly scheduled particle explosions on Mars?

Something to do with Deimos or mining?

Also that help the miners quest was unnecessarily involved and the point seems to be Cydonia is populated by the dumbest people in the galaxy, like the Gov, the Corp guy, and Hank are stupid as hell. Intentionally even, it's in the text of the game!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I just played the UC Vanguard storyline, then went through the main quest "High Price to Pay". Spoilers for both:

Holy poo poo, those were both intense. :stare: And the New Atlantis starport can't catch a loving break!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Nancy posted:

Also that help the miners quest was unnecessarily involved and the point seems to be Cydonia is populated by the dumbest people in the galaxy, like the Gov, the Corp guy, and Hank are stupid as hell. Intentionally even, it's in the text of the game!

They're fracking Mars with some sort of science fiction bomb lol. It rules

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

skooma512 posted:

What's everyone been naming their ships?

My main one is "Lucy September", after a Dream Academy song.

I'm currently flying the B-Limey, with a very fruity colorscheme

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Nancy posted:

That quest giver explains the explosions, but yeah they're fracking

What I want to know is what's up with the red eyes on that dude and some other Martian I saw

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
the red eyes are explained elsewhere as a result of long term exposure to some minerals in martian dust due to mining

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They nailed the Total Recall vibe and look of Mars, imo

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Rinkles posted:

They nailed the Total Recall vibe and look of Mars, imo

oh really, that's awesome, guess I better get my rear end over there.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Mars has great "lovely living in a sci-fi universe" vibes. Also really like the lime green and white "Cydonian" color scheme, shame it appears on so few people & armor sets.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I put that lime green on every companion so they're easier to see and I generally shoot them less

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

moist turtleneck posted:

I put that lime green on every companion so they're easier to see and I generally shoot them less

Wait I thought you wanted to shoot them more :haw:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

runaway dog posted:

oh really, that's awesome, guess I better get my rear end over there.

lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah gently caress HopeTown, Cydonia is the real blue collar town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

widespread posted:

Wait I thought you wanted to shoot them more :haw:

I keep hitting Andreja with my shotgun because it’s so hard to tell what’s going on sometimes and the floating indicators have bad “target boxes”.

Is there a particle beam rifle? Andreja does well with the pistol but nothing like Sarah with a decent equinox/orion.