Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Monopoly just needs easier credit. Imagine if you had to bulldoze your house in real life to get a mortgage. Landlords would be extinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Mine just stomp on my head and knock stuff off my bedside table.

One grooms me when she’s hungry, or notices others are hungry. One makes bread on face if she’s feeling a bit peckish. The boys, however, get hangry and start fights with eachother. Maybe they are each planning to eat the other if food is not forthcoming.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Baron Zephyrus posted:

Monopoly originally existed to be a critique on capitalism/landlords, but you're not wrong with it's modern version.

Sorry doesn't just start fights. It starts feuds. It's forbidden from any family gathering my elder uncle is at for a damned good reason.

My grandmother in Spain loves Parcheesi. She'll curse at the dice if she doesn't like the rolls and sometimes even throws them over the balcony (she's up on the seventh floor). It's a good time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably thinking into it more than OP who just wants to get his dick wet, but if they're going to insist on going down this road why wouldn't they use a turkey baster?

That doesn't sound like a very good excuse to have sex?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Baron Zephyrus posted:

Monopoly originally existed to be a critique on capitalism/landlords, but you're not wrong with it's modern version.

Sorry doesn't just start fights. It starts feuds. It's forbidden from any family gathering my elder uncle is at for a damned good reason.

My university hall of residence had to ban the game Diplomacy from being played in the common room after several fights broke out over it. It culminated with someone trying to force-fed the board to another player while screaming "If you disrespect me you disrespect my whole familiy!"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I'm a single issue voter if anybody gets serious about making Monopoly the board game illegal. The concept feels like too big an ask... but anybody who has played through a game of Monopoly would surely agree nobody deserves the freedom to play, buy, sell, or manufacture such a wretched assembly of materials.

Agreed, and anyone in possession of a themed version of the game goes straight to the gulags.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Captain Hygiene posted:

READERS RESPOND

B-b-but what if she's deprived of a compliment from OP, who just might be her future lifemate?? :ohdear:

So... " I just went to a wedding where the bride and groom were both in other relationships when they met." = "I just went to the wedding of two cheaters.", right?

I mean, normally I'd assume they were friends in different relationships, had amicable breakups and later decided that they would make a good couple, but given the example this guy uses them as, that's where he's going, right?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Hobnob posted:

My university hall of residence had to ban the game Diplomacy from being played in the common room after several fights broke out over it. It culminated with someone trying to force-fed the board to another player while screaming "If you disrespect me you disrespect my whole familiy!"
We had to have a similar moratorium on Diplomacy in one of the gaming groups I used to know. Two lifelong friends ended up going no-contact with one another for several months after an argument in mid-game at one of their houses that got so bad that the other one stormed out of the house, punching out the front porchlight on the way. It was something seeing a guy that normally seemed so chill and jolly almost electrocute himself in a blind rage over a fuckin' board game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All those euro board games have possibly blown up so big because anything with actual design is a refreshing novelty after generations of the same boomer games.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All those euro board games have possibly blown up so big because anything with actual design is a refreshing novelty after generations of the same boomer games.

Or at the very least, the euro boardgames didn't come with traumatic childhood memories.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Captain Hygiene posted:

Girlfriend (20f) wont let me (22m) leave, look at my phone, or watch my own show if she’s sleeping

I'm sorry, OP, you're consigned to a life of staring into the electronic void for hours a day, there's just no other option. It could've been avoided if you had a spine, but sadly that is not the case.

Kids 22, leave the poor dude alone but tell him to leave.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We had to ban the Xbox 360 version of Risk from our friend group in college. It was a ton of fun at first but somewhere along the lines we couldn't get though a game without starting to like get legit mad at one another or couples fighting with themselves or the other couple. I think the ban came after someone was trying to ban or hijack General Meowsimo and the discussion got heated enough we had to load a new bowl, delete the game and find something else to do that involved less betrayal and strife inherently.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Khanstant posted:

We had to ban the Xbox 360 version of Risk from our friend group in college. It was a ton of fun at first but somewhere along the lines we couldn't get though a game without starting to like get legit mad at one another or couples fighting with themselves or the other couple. I think the ban came after someone was trying to ban or hijack General Meowsimo and the discussion got heated enough we had to load a new bowl, delete the game and find something else to do that involved less betrayal and strife inherently.

Are you the clique from undergrads?

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Ninja Bob posted:

This is the worst nightmare of a relationship that I can imagine and I would break up so quickly that it would be as if I was never there.
I'm generally the person falling asleep 10 minutes into an hour-long program. It rules! You get to be held while cozy, quiet talking sounds emerge from the talkbox and sometimes you magically teleport into bed while you doze.

If I woke up from my slumber to talk poo poo on what my partner was doing or get mad they changed the show, it would just be shooting myself in the foot. What's this lady's deal? She doesn't want the king of all sleep, sleep you should not be having?? Bizarre.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, we tried to play Star Wars Risk with another couple a while ago, and they just into a huge fight while we were still setting up the game because they disagreed about the rules, so eventually we decided to just play a different game before the divorce proceedings could begin. There's just something about these games that brings out all the drama.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

No thanks, eating pasta after a whole rotisserie chicken is just too much for me.

Well yeah you're supposed to have the pasta /before/ the meat :italy:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’m pretty sure the OP isn’t even actually married, she just thinks she is. Like her “husband” had her sign a fake certificate at a ceremony with his golf buds as witnesses and Judge His Best Friend Wearing A Fake Mustache.

If he didnt get an actual divorce then she definitely isn't because bigamy isn't legal.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

feedmegin posted:

If he didnt get an actual divorce then she definitely isn't because bigamy isn't legal.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's some sister-wife/co-wife deal from his POV and he just never got around to telling her that.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Play Monopoly with the actual rules and it isn’t a slog of hellish monotony. Like the proper actual rules and not the ‘free parking gets community chest fines, ‘no auctions’ types that families develop.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Or you could stop taking board games so seriously, and learn to lose/win (whichever is applicable) gracefully.

Stop getting mad at board games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just have the smallest present battle it out in gladiatorial combat

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Play Monopoly with the actual rules and it isn’t a slog of hellish monotony. Like the proper actual rules and not the ‘free parking gets community chest fines, ‘no auctions’ types that families develop.

I've always found it funny that in a game that's all about housing monopolies, people always end up making tons of house rules that prevent any player from actually getting a monopoly making sure that everyone has enough money to at least stay in the game comfortably,whereas in real life...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

BrigadierSensible posted:

Or you could stop taking board games so seriously, and learn to lose/win (whichever is applicable) gracefully.

Stop getting mad at board games.

Or just don't play Monopoly/Risk/Trouble. The problem has already been solved.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

It can and does become that monotony, mostly when players go bankrupt and have to sit around for an hour watching others go bankrupt too

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
The unpsoken truth of Monopoly is that you don't win when the other player runs out of money, you win when they throw the board across the room

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I can see getting mad at risk or monopoly, but getting mad at sorry or trouble or wahoo is punk poo poo. Those games last like 20 minutes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The best way to play Monopoly is like in that one episode of the Sopranos where it ends with two people drunkenly beating the poo poo out of each other.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

If you're sitting around watching the remaining players play monopoly you're doing it wrong. You walk away and do something else and just check back in every fifteen minutes or so to see if your wife and son have tried to kill each other over a train station yet.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The best way to play Monopoly is like in that one episode of the Sopranos where it ends with two people drunkenly beating the poo poo out of each other.

Monopoly starts the kind of beefs that can only be settled by someone murdering a French Canadian

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Monopoly isn’t supposed to be fun

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who are you to doubt the Parker Brothers?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I once played Monopoly against my now husband. I was winning; he had no chance to recover. But he said "oh, I have to go and catch my train now. What a shame, we'll never know who'd have won" :argh:. That was the last time I ever played Monopoly, so really he did us both a favour.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I found a board game combining Monopoly and Scrabble a couple of days ago. Almost spent $35 on it.

But then I couldn't decide if it was improving Monopoly, ruining Scrabble, or if my friendless rear end would ever play it anyway.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People just go crazy for victory points.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Scattergories is the best game, especially if you don't use the timer but just set your own on your phone.

AITA for telling my father to cover up his BDSM tattoo at my step-son's birthday party?

quote:

He's not technically my step-son because his dad and I aren't married, but my boyfriend and I have been together for a long time and his bio mom isn't in his life. To make a long story short, my father freaked out and completely cut me off when I started transitioning in my teens. I was very upset at him for a long time, but I've always wanted a relationship with him. When he reached out to me, I was especially happy to hear him apologize about specific things he said to me, so I want to clarify, I really want to make this work. It's part of why I invited him to his birthday.

My father has a tattoo on his arm of a bound and gagged woman. I'm not a prude, but he wore a muscle shirt to the birthday party and it was fully visible. I've never seen him wear a muscle shirt since we reconnected, I didn't think that he'd show it at all. My boyfriend and I had the same reaction to it. We both agreed it was totally inappropriate for a party for a seven-year-old!

He brought a jean jacket, so I asked him if he could just keep it on. He said it was too hot for him to wear it inside, and he told me it's just artistic nudity. To me, it's not just a naked figure, which is fine, but it's sexual because she's bound and gagged. He said there's no sex act taking place and no visible genitalia (just bare breasts), and basically said "he'll live." Then he made this joke saying maybe I would've turned out differently if he had this tattoo when I was growing up. It was definitely a joke, and I actually don't mind jokes about how non-masculine I am or how I'm not attracted to women because they're both true and I can take a good joke at my expense. What annoyed me is that I was trying to express how I felt and he went into comedian mode.

I realized I wasn't getting anywhere with him, so I told my boyfriend that, and my boyfriend approached him. This really bothered my father, and he said that if I wouldn't stick up for him, he'd leave. I told him that all he has to do is put on a jacket and it doesn't have to be a big deal. He left.

My father hasn't responded to any of my attempts to talk with him since. I've been really second-guessing how I approached this. I really don't have a problem with artistic nudity. If it was the Birth of Venus tattooed to him, I wouldn't care, it's the sexual part. My mom agreed that it was completely inappropriate, but I asked one of my friends who's into BDSM, and she said that kink isn't necessarily sexual and my "over-the-top" response is prejudice against people who practice BDSM. She said that my boyfriend and I were definitely influenced by subconscious bias as a pretty vanilla couple, and she said she agreed with what my dad said about no genitalia or sex act occurring in the tattoo.

What makes me feel the most like an rear end in a top hat is that I want him in my life. I've been telling him that. And now he's pulled away even more, and my actions are what led to that. It's really been weighing on me, and I'd appreciate any responses. Thank you.

I thought kink was sexual. Either way, cover your loving tat.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

played monopoly in hs with a group of friends and we had to stop 15 mins in because we thought we were going to try to stab each other in the back. cool game

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Honestly, the best advice that could be given to people that want to break up with their partners but don't know how is "Suggest a game of Monopoly"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

monopoly is like dota in that you know you're going to lose way before the game is over

dota is worse though because people have teammates to blame

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

killerwhat posted:

I once played Monopoly against my now husband. I was winning; he had no chance to recover. But he said "oh, I have to go and catch my train now. What a shame, we'll never know who'd have won" :argh:. That was the last time I ever played Monopoly, so really he did us both a favour.

In my circle, we'd take pictures of the board and write notes on other setup needed to continue playing later. So we can torture ourselves over a Legacy game over multiple sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember having to stop a game of Monopoly Jr. as a kid because my cousin started choking on the horse.