Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

FulsomFrank posted:

You bastard, mine hasn't arrive yet. Can't wait.

Edit: Excellent thread snipe.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

panko posted:

game obtained

front of box (w/whopping 1% discount applied)

any beginner (cow) tips for how to out-god my opponents?

There's a surprisingly good amount of informative strategic discussion on BGG, would definitely recommend checking that out. Generically speaking, and it's admittedly been a while since I played, your default price for goods should be 2 unless you have good reason to do otherwise, and the value of the various powers is often highly situational. Pay attention to the way the turn order auction works, it's quite fascinating and imo the most innovative part of the game.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Dammit, my copy of 1889 was supposed to be delivered today but UPS couldn’t get into the building so it’s rescheduled for tomorrow. :smith:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

Dammit, my copy of 1889 was supposed to be delivered today but UPS couldn’t get into the building so it’s rescheduled for tomorrow. :smith:

Mine arrived, it’s pretty sexy looking

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
For those who might be interested and haven't read it yet, here's a good article from the publisher of Shikoku:
https://medium.com/grandtrunkgames/why-shikoku-1889-quick-to-learn-a-lifetime-to-master-882df8673d97

Also, I have been playing a ton of 18xx online via .games and it just is so so good. Played '49 for the third time and it finally clicked. The track gauges are annoying but not as bad as I first though but a total pain still in person. There is a ton of replayability in here. A couple of games of 18CHES: Off the Rails that were fun and definitely quick. One game ended before we even got to a lay single brown tile. And finally, a few games of 22 and 22MX. I am starting to understand the '22 series of games but I still think they're way more operational than I like and boil down to: get minor(s) close to concessions -> profit. Obviously there is some nuance there but the games are relentless in their altering of rules due to the 7 goddamn phases that it becomes a bit tedious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
New Terraforming Mars kickstarter is using midjourney for art

https://old.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/16ijbu1/new_terraforming_mars_kickstarter_is_using/

quote:

We have and will continue to leverage AI-generated content in the development and delivery of this project. We have used MidJourney, Fotor, and the Adobe Suite of products as tools in conjunction with our internal and external illustrators, graphic designers, and marketers to generate ideas, concepts, illustrations, graphic design elements, and marketing materials across all the elements of this game. AI and other automation tools are integrated into our company, and while all the components of this game have a mix of human and AI-generated content nothing is solely generated by AI.

Just :lmao:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They ran out of public domain art. Too many cards!

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Honestly one of the few games I can think of where AI-generated art would easily be an upgrade. Lol. I'm into it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I used to say "Terraforming Mars sucks" but I was self-conscious because I wasn't sure if I was right.

Now I can say "Terraforming Mars sucks" in full confidence that I'm right.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

CitizenKeen posted:

I used to say "Terraforming Mars sucks" but I was self-conscious because I wasn't sure if I was right.

Now I can say "Terraforming Mars sucks" in full confidence that I'm right.

The fact that TM got the reception it did is still one of the greatest mysteries in all Boardgamia for me. Like, this is the one? It looks (and plays, for the most part) like something a guy who likes Mars put together by himself in his garage over the weekend.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TM is pretty popular. My friend's wife told me a story once where before she got together with my friend the only person she had to play games with was her sister and they would spend whole days just playing 2p TM over and over again. It's their favorite game. I like TM but come on!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I thought the original art was fine, it's not like you spend a lot of time looking at the art on the cards.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
People like to crank their engines while thinking about space.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Terraforming Mars does a better job with theme than some other popular engine builders and you have to really try to make a tableau that doesn't at least do something well by the end of the game. It's not a better game than Race for the Galaxy but it does enough well that it's easy to see why it's popular.

How is Dice Forge as a family game? The tactile nature of upgrading the dice seems like it could be fun for kids etc in in way that cards aren't.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

more like

terrible

at

forming

hands

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Terraforming Mars does a better job with theme than some other popular engine builders and you have to really try to make a tableau that doesn't at least do something well by the end of the game. It's not a better game than Race for the Galaxy but it does enough well that it's easy to see why it's popular.

It was the breakout game in the "give players a lot of stuff that does a lot of things genre paired with an attractive theme. It's pretty funny how much of a soulless cube pusher it is for the folks that would usually scoff at that kind of euro, even down to the shoddy production and ugly aesthetics.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Terraforming of Mars is an interesting blends of elements. The parts I like about it are similar to what I like about AffO. But where the occupation deck has limited ability to swing a game relative to everything else, the way the deck works in TM lends it to feeling like ive tacked a complicated math problem onto Candy Land.

I also hate Ascension for how it uses the same mechanic that I don't mind at all in village village or bloodborne or Jaipur

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I played Isle of Cats the other day. It was fine, but I just kept wondering why Patchwork needed so much tacked on to it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elysium posted:

I played Isle of Cats the other day. It was fine, but I just kept wondering why Patchwork needed so much tacked on to it.

The family version of Isle of Cats is really good as a simple polyomino laying game for and I wish it was sold separately.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Explore and draw is really fun.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4JMx4-ZXJU

I... I don't hate the sound of this. This feels like they wanted to build a 1 vs All Horrified game, and largely it sounds like it might work. $30 MSRP and releases next week - maybe I'll sell some stinkers on FB marketplace and give it a run.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Impermanent posted:

People like to crank their engines while thinking about space.

Yeah, people generally don't like games where victory is wholly tied to the quality of your decisions. People like to see their efforts rewarded (even if they're poorly decided). People like amassing.

An engine builder game where you can't really fail to build an engine, and where there's a huge amount of luck involved, where you decide whether the engine you're building is finished or not / the game is over...

I think it's pretty clear why TFM did so well.

Like if you want broad mass appeal, don't make a 'good' game, make a pandering game. I often think about how in Red Alert 2, it used to be the case if you played online, ALL the lobbies would be stupid custom maps, where you started right next to loads of oil derricks, and had tons of the extra valuable ore near you as well (which is totally redundant, the oil derricks give you more money than you could need but, hey). The idea being, no one wanted to be 'restricted' by the economy and just wanted to build all the best tanks and rush in with a huge army.

But the thing is, that's just... less. It's much less game. Without having to 'worry' about an economy, you only spammed the most expensive units. That was it. That was all the game was reduced to. None of the other units really mattered. None of the buildings apart from the war factory (and defences) really mattered. You just had 'less'. Those games had a victory much less tightly coupled to decision making. By any metric a critic would use, it was a 'worse' game.

And yet, you can pretty much draw a line from there to the obscenely popular 'idle battler' games, and also to the almost total lack of modern RTS games.

It's a really tricky subject. I've tried really hard to avoid calling one version a 'good' game and caveated my one use of it with 'what a critic would say'. Because, the reason for a game is to have fun. If a game is massively popular, it's because it's 'fun' for a massive amount of people. You can't really say "You're having fun wrong!", but at the same time, y'know, Monopoly is one of the best sellers of all time. If we just accepted "Well everyone plays it" we'd never have entered the golden age we're in now. So there's definitely some element of, "The masses are wrong on this one" being ostensibly the case historically. But, that's not to say that I personally know best, either. It's kind of a minefield.

This is quite ambulatory and doesn't have a specific conclusion, but I do think it's a really really interesting subject.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Terraforming Mars just needed a tiered deck and 82% of my problems with it would have disappeared instantly.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Tiered like, some cards get shuffled in later in the game so you are more likely to have functional starts for everyone? Or is it something else

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I believe they mean a deck where the cards have backs labeled 1, 2, 3, and all the 1s are shuffled together, the 2s are shuffled together under them, etc.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So many games need tiered decks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Someone has to have made a fanmade tiered deck list for TM. It's not like it's some mystery how expensive each card is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ActingPower posted:

I believe they mean a deck where the cards have backs labeled 1, 2, 3, and all the 1s are shuffled together, the 2s are shuffled together under them, etc.

Sometimes you keep them separate and discard the first stack upon a certain point in a game, too, so you also get a bit of player driven timing.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SettingSun posted:

Someone has to have made a fanmade tiered deck list for TM. It's not like it's some mystery how expensive each card is.

If this exists, you could easily sleeve the cards with different color sleeve-backs to make it easy to manage.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
It's just such a no-brainer it escapes me why it wasn't done but I think maybe some big-brainer here explained the reasoning at some point.

Either way, it's a mess because no, I don't enjoy sifting through/trashing useless card after useless card because it randomly dealt me poo poo that can't even be considered until the halfway through the game. Just imagine if Through the Ages or Valley of the Kings threw everything into the pot and stirred it. Doesn't sound right does it now does it???

Maybe this would be less aggravated if the game didn't outstay its welcome but I swear to God, even following the advice to Always Be Terraforming it still drags on too long to tolerate a deck that giant and random. IN MY OPINION.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Either way, it's a mess because no, I don't enjoy sifting through/trashing useless card after useless card because it randomly dealt me poo poo that can't even be considered until the halfway through the game. Just imagine if Through the Ages or Valley of the Kings threw everything into the pot and stirred it. Doesn't sound right does it now does it???
Race does but you are drawing more cards and a lot of the time cards are functionally interchangeable.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I slid over into BGG to check out more views on TfM and instead I found an utterly bizarre school of thought:

bgg reviewer posted:

- Drafting. We have drafting once and totally disliked it. The downtime is considerable and the potential luck mitigating is marginal, I think that the game is very well balanced.

Drafting is the only thing in the game that gives you any agency in the card draw. :psyduck:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah and even that Agency is incredibly limited and sucks and emphasizes how much luck is ruling.

Race for the Galaxy is a better comparison but Candy Land is funnier. Either way, it's a ton of work to play the more boring, non random part well to get a few point differential, and most of the point result is what cards you even get to look at. So it gets unfun because you end up knowing you only won or lost because you got handed combo pieces or not.

Lots of games have this, but don't also make you play the side game that only impacts outcomes rarely.

Spent a lot of time thinking about this because tfm was my favorite game for a while.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 15, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Race does but you are drawing more cards and a lot of the time cards are functionally interchangeable.

More poignantly, cards in hand are the resource in Race, so there is tons of turnover by design.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SettingSun posted:

I slid over into BGG to check out more views on TfM and instead I found an utterly bizarre school of thought:

Drafting is the only thing in the game that gives you any agency in the card draw. :psyduck:
BGG is a wild and inscrutable place.

It's full of "I introduced this set of weird and inscrutable house rules to this game I just started playing, because I am very smart and know things. It's not working out how I thought it would in my head, so it must be the game that's wrong. 3/10"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

dwarf74 posted:

BGG is a wild and inscrutable place.

It's full of "I introduced this set of weird and inscrutable house rules to this game I just started playing, because I am very smart and know things. It's not working out how I thought it would in my head, so it must be the game that's wrong. 3/10"

Strong "I added beans to this coffee cake recipe and it didn't turn out well, bad recipe 1/5" energy

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Played two games with goons on Wednesday, with Host and Other Guest.

Illiterati was as delightful as advertised. Co-op Scattergories / Scrabble is light fun. Strong recommend as a game to pad out an evening backed up with a longer game. One note - by way of being closer to Scattergories than Scrabble, table consensus on how strict to be is probably good. Other Guest noted we may have been too lenient with whether a word was a "sports term", etc. Is "rip" a sports term? (We live in "Rip City", if it affects your answer.) Does the name of a small town qualify as the name of a city? Not a critique of the game, but our crew likes rules.

Meat of the evening was Dune (RoI). My second game and my first loss. Other Guest discovered through brutality the glaring strategic hole in the core set - everybody needs money to get dude early, and if you don't get there first you're playing catch-up. Host beat us but it was reasonably close; I think I might have had a better shot barring some misplays in late game (one water is not the same as two water).

Strong recommends on both.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Illiterati was as delightful as advertised.

:hellyeah:

quote:

Other Guest noted we may have been too lenient with whether a word was a "sports term", etc. Is "rip" a sports term? (We live in "Rip City", if it affects your answer.) Does the name of a small town qualify as the name of a city? Not a critique of the game, but our crew likes rules.

Yeah nah, get that weak rear end poo poo outta here. :v:

Basically if you can look it up in the time allowed, the word is allowed.

Sounds like you don't know what the word means though, cause 'small town' =/= sports term

Actual answer on the term - You can 'rip' the ball from someones hands in something like rugby. So yes it's a real term... :siren: HOWEVER :siren: you didn't clarify what the word was via a dictionary within the time limit, so while it's technically a sporting term it's not a valid word.
(Yeah we've got rules sticklers at our table as well)

We found 'vey' to be an agreed upon word, but only because we googled it randomly during the dying seconds of the game.

Throwing random stuff together? Cool and valid strategy.
You just gotta check within the time limit

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

CitizenKeen posted:

Played two games with goons on Wednesday, with Host and Other Guest.

Illiterati was as delightful as advertised. Co-op Scattergories / Scrabble is light fun. Strong recommend as a game to pad out an evening backed up with a longer game. One note - by way of being closer to Scattergories than Scrabble, table consensus on how strict to be is probably good. Other Guest noted we may have been too lenient with whether a word was a "sports term", etc. Is "rip" a sports term? (We live in "Rip City", if it affects your answer.) Does the name of a small town qualify as the name of a city? Not a critique of the game, but our crew likes rules.

Meat of the evening was Dune (RoI). My second game and my first loss. Other Guest discovered through brutality the glaring strategic hole in the core set - everybody needs money to get dude early, and if you don't get there first you're playing catch-up. Host beat us but it was reasonably close; I think I might have had a better shot barring some misplays in late game (one water is not the same as two water).

Strong recommends on both.

We tend to be lenient in Illitetati. If you want it to be harder, playing on one of the harder difficulties accomplishes that pretty well. I've found that one the players know the rules, the 2nd difficulty level is still relatively easy.

Edit: Rip City is a sports specific nickname for Portland Oregon, so if you were playing in Portland there would be no question that "rip" was a sports term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
The Tabletop Simulator version of Candyland my friends and I play surprisingly a lot spawns a miniature version of Candyland and plays through an automated game of it to decide player order.

A game on Candyland in the background that you just pick at is a weirdly fun activity to have while chatting with friends.