Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Reveilled posted:

I'm curious then, what was school like for the rest of you? Culturally I mean, among the kids, was there no sense of, like, group solidarity? I had a friend group of about 5 people when I was a teenager, but that friend group was part of a "mosher" subculture (which wasn't just moshers, it was the nerdy kids, the skaters, the music kids, the goths and so on), which would have been about 30 kids in my year, before you count the kids in years above or below. Nobody in that group would have mocked each other for their wealth (some of our friends were upper middle class, some were living in council flats, some were refugees). If you got isolated from the rest of your group you could get bullied (if you had to get home alone, for example), but it'd always be from people in other groups, and the bullying would be a in-group/out-group thing, not a rich/poor thing.

I'd always assumed that subcultures like that in schools was an American thing to be honest. My school was mostly middle class kids but still people got bullied for whatever differences they had to everyone else (tall/short/glasses/accusations of homosexuality for spurious reasons/whatever else), or for wearing the uniform differently or whatever other reason that bullies want to bully people for. There weren't really in/out groups beyond some of the people in sports teams who tended to hang out because they all practiced together a lot.

I was a nerd, and there were some other kids I played Warhammer with, but it wasn't part of some kind of subculture. We hung out together when we were gaming but that was it, we didn't spend all our time together in and out of school like it was Stranger Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stonger Things *SUV barrels wildly through the bikes*

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
There were larger subgroups in my school. The two big ones were the goths/emos, and the charvers. Both groups were fairly flexible, but there was definitely a line between them, with parts of the school 'belonging' to one group or the other.

I always liked school uniforms. I didn't know anything about fashion as a teenager and was glad I didn't need to learn.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't know for me it was probably a bit different being in eastern europe and all, but it was basically the cool kids who went to parties, hung out with older kids, smoked weed, drank alcohol and had fun, the bookish nerds and a small group of awkward kids who largely got picked on by the nerds.

For the first few months I was in the awkward group and got bullied a bit (stuff like getting sweary postits glued to my clothes and whatever, though I don't think I cared all that much because the bullies were giant dorks) but after that I was one of the ones who had fun and hung out with older kids, so it was pretty great. More fun than uni in the UK really.

To be entirely fair I don't think everyone had the same experience, some of the more awkward kids did get a bit ostracised.

This is all posh secondary school though, primary school was just kind of meh. Everyone bullied everyone else for the first three years and then things largely settled down and were pretty chill for the next two before secondary.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 15, 2023

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Reveilled posted:

Were there no other groups in the school? Were the rich kids the largest group?

Apologies if the questions sound weird! I feel a bit like an alien today realising my own school was apparently very not normal.

No, there were multiple other groups which don't translate as well since it wasn't an anglophone school and they sometimes bled into each other. The rich kids weren't the biggest group, but there were a lot of them since there is a really well off neighbourhood near the school. Some of the rich kids were dicks about how much stuff they had, but they never actively went 'you're a loving poor' to anyone or mocked people for having shittier clothes or anything, as far as I can remember, and they got as good as they gave when they were being dicks to someone in another group.

I was a massive loving dork and I wasn't actively being bullied at any point, but certain cliques had rivalries that sometimes devolved into fights.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
We had:

- the emos/moshers
- the chavs
- the Xbox nerds
- the lesbian crew (not necessarily actually lesbians)

off the top of my head. Everyone was pretty sound to each other really, though the chavs and emos would sometimes throw rocks at each other

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Relatedly, I know that McD's makes you pay for their awful polyester uniforms, and the pants don't even have pockets incase you try to abscond with a pocket Filet-o-Fish or something

I did work one place that had uniforms you were meant to pay for ("You get to keep it afterwards!" wow thanks) but I just never paid and they were too disorganised to follow up on it #lifehacks

Everywhere else that had work clothes just provided them to you and didn't really want them back, clothes are pretty cheap compared to employing someone.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jakabite posted:

We had:

- the emos/moshers
- the chavs
- the Xbox nerds
- the lesbian crew (not necessarily actually lesbians)

off the top of my head. Everyone was pretty sound to each other really, though the chavs and emos would sometimes throw rocks at each other

This isn't too different from my eastern euro case except we didn't have any chavs because it was a posh school, I guess we were technically emos/moshers when it comes down to it. Some of the nerdy girls were called lesbians by other nerdy girls and never seemed to mind too much, I never figured out if it was meant to be homophobic bullying or just being silly for fun. Possibly started as an attempt at the first and became the other. I dated one of them for about five years as a guy so I don't think they were actual lesbians. Well maybe some of them were.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 15, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I regret to inform you all that “Dog Racism” is currently trending

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you were in school in the late 90s/early 00s it felt like everyone was calling everyone and everything “gay” and/or declaring “don’t be gay” to voice their displeasure with whatever was going on constantly at all times, it was just the go-to thing to say for less-enlightened times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thus "the gay nineties".

smellmycheese posted:

I regret to inform you all that “Dog Racism” is currently trending

Lord Austin's second favourite thing to do with dogs.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm pretty sure like Chris moyles would say it live on air regularly.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you were in school in the late 90s/early 00s it felt like everyone was calling everyone and everything “gay” and/or declaring “don’t be gay” to voice their displeasure with whatever was going on constantly at all times, it was just the go-to thing to say for less-enlightened times.

Those of us at school in the 80s will remember everyone being called a “Joey” which is an incredibly culturally specific term of it’s time

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I was a nerd, and there were some other kids I played Warhammer with, but it wasn't part of some kind of subculture. We hung out together when we were gaming but that was it, we didn't spend all our time together in and out of school like it was Stranger Things.

We absolutely did spend all our time together in and out of school like it was Stranger Things, but that's because it was the Isle of Man and we were outsiders, so we got bullied by just about everyone.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wolfsbane posted:

We absolutely did spend all our time together in and out of school like it was Stranger Things, but that's because it was the Isle of Man and we were outsiders, so we got bullied by just about everyone.

I mean me being bullied was implied in me playing warhammer at school tbh :v: :smith: :commissar:

Edit: kids are fuckers to each other. Well they were, and I assume still are.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t imagine how much worse social media has made it tbh.

At least back in the day once you went home no oval office could have another pop at you until the next day, now they’ve got a 24 hour feed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Reveilled posted:

I'm curious then, what was school like for the rest of you? Culturally I mean, among the kids, was there no sense of, like, group solidarity?

When I went to aforementioned suit oval office school for Junior Cycle, it was a bunch of rugger-bugger posh twats who ruled the roost. Being a "freak" with long hair made me slightly ostracised, but I was too tall and disinterested to be a bully target so I just hung out with some fellow nerds and discussed sci-fi.

Then for Senior Cycle I left the oval office school cause they wanted me to cut my hair, moved to the local pov school where all my mates went, skipped a year, joined a band, and was instantly embroiled in the "moshers vs. scumbags" forever-war. Guess I was still a mega-nerd but I had long hair, a leather jacket, and used to skip school to smoke fags in town with the other metalheads. Badly ripping off Thrice and Shai Hulud metalcore riffs somehow even got us pathetic "groupies". Basically I remained confused throughout school and if anyone ever slagged me off I probably would have just gone "huh? Oh yeah, right, heh".

Thanks for reading the first chapter of Memoirs Of An Excellent And Fascinating Poster

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t imagine how much worse social media has made it tbh.

At least back in the day once you went home no oval office could have another pop at you until the next day, now they’ve got a 24 hour feed.

You're gently caress ups are forgotten to.
I did some incredibly stupid things as a kid. They would be on the internet if Id done them now.

I'm very grateful I was just entering adulthood when Facebook was created.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Wolfsbane posted:

My daughter's school have ditched the scannable ID badges in favour of fingerprint scanners. I'm not 100% happy about it but at least she can't accidentally leave her finger at home.

I think I saw an email about the new year 7 registering for face ID at my school rather than fingerprint this year.

Oct 4, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'd always assumed that subcultures like that in schools was an American thing to be honest. My school was mostly middle class kids but still people got bullied for whatever differences they had to everyone else (tall/short/glasses/accusations of homosexuality for spurious reasons/whatever else), or for wearing the uniform differently or whatever other reason that bullies want to bully people for. There weren't really in/out groups beyond some of the people in sports teams who tended to hang out because they all practiced together a lot.

Basically this.

Concrete asbestos wasteland where individuality was not tolerated. No real groups, just people. When a new trend came along everyone would adopt it, when it went out of style you were bullied into dropping it.

gently caress I remember when yo-yos were briefly in, if you didn't have a yo-yo you were nobody. Then, after everyone learned half a dozen tricks, it was all over. It was like everyone woke up from mass hypnosis and all that plastic and string went in the bin.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yo-yos have some weird generational recurrence, every decade or so they keep going up and down in popularity like some kind of oscillating device

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reveilled posted:

I'm curious then, what was school like for the rest of you? Culturally I mean, among the kids, was there no sense of, like, group solidarity? I had a friend group of about 5 people when I was a teenager, but that friend group was part of a "mosher" subculture (which wasn't just moshers, it was the nerdy kids, the skaters, the music kids, the goths and so on), which would have been about 30 kids in my year, before you count the kids in years above or below. Nobody in that group would have mocked each other for their wealth (some of our friends were upper middle class, some were living in council flats, some were refugees). If you got isolated from the rest of your group you could get bullied (if you had to get home alone, for example), but it'd always be from people in other groups, and the bullying would be a in-group/out-group thing, not a rich/poor thing.

I was almost entirely isolated at school and spent most of it wishing I was dead, if there were groups I wasn't able to discern any of them. Just a moment by moment existence of trying to get to the end of the day without getting battered or being the target of some cruel joke.

Kids had like, groups of friends, but there were no larger factions that I was able to discern, just whether or not you had enough numbers to deter hostility.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I remember being at school and the kid sat behind me noticed my trousers were Tommy Hilfiger and suddenly I was the coolest kid in class for a day.

I was totally bewildered, I’d never heard of Tommy Hilfiger and was probably only barely aware of fashion brands as a concept; I’m sure the trousers were from a charity store. Something something important lesson about how shallow and fleeting approval can be.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yeah folk had groups of friends, but no larger groups really. Just kids trying to get through the day.

The only time there was larger group was when folk went to fight the Catholic school down the road.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yo-yos have some weird generational recurrence, every decade or so they keep going up and down in popularity like some kind of oscillating device

Knucklebones (like jacks) were briefly a thing in ours. I tried to find them over here and of course there was a brief thing where they tried to monetise it and sell collectable figs

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

The only time there was larger group was when folk went to fight the Catholic school down the road.

This was a thing at our school upto the year I joined.
With the troubles in NI, the kids auto-hated the opposite religion school, so there would be fights between them both most days at the bus depot where most had to get travel home.
When I started there would be a group of 100 per side, and they would just go ham at each other with hurley/hockey sticks.
But it ended up mostly with just a few torn shirts, bloodied noses, and what overall looked like a Reeves & Mortimer frying pan sketch.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So apparently the mega story that Channel 4 and The Times are going to drop tomorrow is basically Nonceaggeddon for the comedy industry

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

I remember being at school and the kid sat behind me noticed my trousers were Tommy Hilfiger and suddenly I was the coolest kid in class for a day.

I was totally bewildered, I’d never heard of Tommy Hilfiger and was probably only barely aware of fashion brands as a concept; I’m sure the trousers were from a charity store. Something something important lesson about how shallow and fleeting approval can be.

Lol someone at my school noticed my Tommy hilfiger trousers was a knock off Tommy hilfiger and tried to mock me for it.

But i didn't even know what Tommy hilfiger was so couldn't give a single solitary poo poo whether it was a knock off or not. As long as it did the job of a pair of trousers why did it matter? :confused: I was just plain baffled by the whole affair

franco
Jan 3, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

Those of us at school in the 80s will remember everyone being called a “Joey” which is an incredibly culturally specific term of it’s time

Don't forget to do the hand gestures and stick your tongue behind your lower lip! Christ that was such a misfire from Blue Peter trying to make kids less cunty and understand/accept people with physical/mental problems. Their hearts were in the right place but it just gave kids more ammunition.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

smellmycheese posted:

So apparently the mega story that Channel 4 and The Times are going to drop tomorrow is basically Nonceaggeddon for the comedy industry

Fingers crossed this finally takes down Michael McIntyre

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lots of people mentioning David Walliams too. Aren't they both currently doing that right wing 'comedy' grifter tour?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brand was openly grabbing people in the 00s, so it would be more surprising if there weren't strong allegations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1702750804828881376

:toot:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m hearing Ranganathan on the hook too

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I for one am shocked that an industry ridiculously saturated with public school alumni is crawling with wrong’uns

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

I think I'm from a slightly earlier generation, when kids would just outright use the S slur,* particularly about other kids shoes for some reason.

* spacker, short for spastic, which the charity was still called at that time

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh we still got that in the 90's.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

smellmycheese posted:

I’m hearing Ranganathan on the hook too

I've heard whispers about him for a while (not connected or anything, it just pops up sometimes), but tbh i've always put it down to racism.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Katheryn Ryan accused an unnamed pannelist on some poo poo quiz of being a rapist but wouldn't name them due to threat of legal action. The potential suspects were Brand, Walliams, Carr, and Noel Fielding. All of whom seem like dangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A lot of QI and Taskmaster may be unwatchable after tomorrow.