Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Right so firing the two ML's and SRM after jumping five hexes should put me at 2 heat build up when all is said and done, that seems reasonable

You might've missed it with the other rules talk/unfamliarity but you also have an opportunity to kick from there. Its a little risky, i think if you miss there' a piloting test to fall, but I don't know off the top of my head how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

biosterous posted:

^ idly curious, when the wolfhound backed down the hill and failed a PSR ending in blowing his own leg off in vipers of somerset was that a house rule for movement, or something like coming up with a way to handle a not-actually-legal movement order?

It's an optional rule; I just decided not to ever use it again after that mission because the players generating a bunch of PSRs they might not have been expecting is really bad. PSRs will kill you dead faster than weapons fire.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

TheParadigm posted:

You might've missed it with the other rules talk/unfamliarity but you also have an opportunity to kick from there. Its a little risky, i think if you miss there' a piloting test to fall, but I don't know off the top of my head how it works.

This is all true, with the addition that kicking from a higher elevation uses the punch table and thus has a 1/6 chance of hitting an enemy's head.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Scintilla posted:

This is all true, with the addition that kicking from a higher elevation uses the punch table and thus has a 1/6 chance of hitting an enemy's head.

The OG Justice Foottm

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
On the one hand...

On the other...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The dive give and the dice take away.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crap

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Plot twist: he hit the mountain / a lancemate instead?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Plot twist: he hit the mountain / a lancemate instead?

Probably nailed me. I did get danger close to him.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

awwww :ohdear:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Don't feel too bad. Considering its performance in this coming turn, it might well be The Little Hornet That Could.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Scintilla posted:

Don't feel too bad. Considering its performance in this coming turn, it might well be The Little Hornet That Could.

Calling it now, its small laser blew up my ammo.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Nothing to see here!

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 17, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Those... weren't my move orders at all? There's no elevation changes in the ones I sent you.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 17, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

Those... weren't my move orders at all? There's no elevation changes in the ones I sent you.

Oh gently caress. I must have had a stroke or something. Want me to redo the turn?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'd appreciate a mulligan, yeah, since I just took a ton of damage from the Hunchback that I otherwise would have been safe from.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd appreciate a mulligan, yeah, since I just took a ton of damage from the Hunchback that I otherwise would have been safe from.

No problem, I'll roll back the save and do it over.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

... And Alexander shook his head to chase away the last vestiges of that premonition he had.

'Yeah, closing in aggressively on the Hornet isn't the best move. The Hunchback could have an open shot on me.'

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It was a nice bit of writing too, that's a shame.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Haha, okay, this is definitely a better turn than last time. :black101:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Let's just blame it on the simulator bugging out and rolling back a few seconds :shobon:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 3

Alexander slowed as he approached the riverbed, keeping a wary eye on the Fusilier Wolverine that was trying to sneak up on him from the west. The Fusiliers had advanced swiftly, sweeping southwards in a staggered line that an untrained observer might mistake for some kind of tactical formation. In reality, it was nothing of the sort; the Fusiliers moved as individuals rather than a group, recklessly advancing without considering what their lancemates were doing. Their apparent coordination was an illusion, a result of the terrain forcing the slower units to hang back while the faster ones raced ahead. Alexander knew he was in danger of overextending himself by moving so far ahead, but he did not feel threatened. Six battlemechs moving in lockstep was a terrifying sight, but six individual mechs all doing their own thing could be picked off one by one without much effort.

The truth of that thought was laid bare as the Wolverine opened fire. Its shots were hasty and poorly aimed, likely snapped off as soon as the pilot noticed Alexander was there. Such poor trigger discipline was common in green recruits, and told Alexander that he had little to fear. A shell from the Wolverine’s AC/5 thumped into his Trebuchet’s chest, rocking the simulator pod, but that was clearly more a product of luck than judgement. Alexander ignored the Wolverine and continued on, hunting for a target that better suited his Trebuchet’s range brackets.

Such a target awaited him beyond the lip of the riverbed. The sandy bank quickly fell away, forming a shallow trench that had clearly been carved by seasonal floods. Most of the bed was bone dry, but several large patches of semi-solid mud still glistened wetly under the midday sun. A Fusiliers Hornet had blundered into one such patch and now looked to be in some distress. Its left leg had sunk into the clay-like sediment up to the shin, and though the machine twisted and turned it could not seem to free itself.

Seizing the opportunity, Alexander pivoted towards the bogged-down mech. The Hornet was a spindly machine that resembled a severely underfed Urbanmech. Originally designed for urban reconnaissance, the design had neither the speed, armour, or armament to engage in a protracted battle over open terrain. Its deployment here was hardly appropriate, but this was the Periphery, where any mech that could fight was pressed into service regardless of their suitability.

Abruptly, the Hornet’s egg-shaped chassis pivoted upwards, tracking towards Alexander’s location. Both mechs opened fire at once, their flashing lasers and the spiralling contrails of their SRMs forming a dizzying fog and light show above the surface of the riverbed. Alexander’s simulator pod shook as several of the Hornet’s shots hit home, but ultimately, his Trebuchet had the better of the exchange. Frustratingly, however, the Hornet did not fall. The little mech’s rounded shape seemed to deflect several shots that ought to have hollowed it out, and though its armour ran red it defiantly stayed upright.

“Mechwarrior eliminated. Fusiliers, you now have five mechs left.” Gudrun Magos’s voice suddenly announced over the pod’s speakers. Alexander started. Had one of his missiles pierced the Hornet’s cockpit after all?

The answer came moments later, when Charles' rich laughter suddenly filled the comms. “Ha! That Sentinel just made the classic blunder – never stand where another mech can use your cockpit as a stepping stone!”

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 11: 2 Missiles Hit! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Right Arm (9/11 Armour remaining) and Head (7/9 Armour remaining (Pilot Hit!)).

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires LRM-5 at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Centre Torso! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Centre Torso, 6/8 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Left Torso! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Torso, 6/8 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! 2 Missiles Hit! Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Right Arm (4/6 Armour remaining) and Left Torso (4/8 Armour remaining).
-Fires SRM-6 at Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 10: 4 Missiles Hit! Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Leg (4/6 Armour remaining), Right Torso (6/8 Armour remaining), Centre Torso (4/8 Armour remaining) and Centre Torso (2/8 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 9: 3 Missiles Hit! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Leg (16/18 Armour remaining), Left Leg (14/18 Armour remaining) and Left Torso (13/15 Armour remaining).

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires LRM-10 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 13, rolls 6: Automatic Miss!
-Fires SRM-4 at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 9, rolls 9: 3 Missiles Hit! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Leg (13/15 Armour remaining), Right Arm (8/10 Armour remaining) and Centre Torso (20/22 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/10 at Gladiator GLD-4R (Player); needs 12, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Fires Large Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM-2 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/5 at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 11, rolls 11: Hits Right Torso! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 6/11 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 13, rolls 10: Automatic Miss!
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player); needs 13, rolls 7: Automatic Miss!

Physical attacks for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Kicks Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 12: Hits Head! Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers) takes 11 damage to Head, 0/9 Armour, 0/3 Armour remaining. Head destroyed! Mech destroyed! Mechwarrior Ricardo Hess has been eliminated from play!

--

Physical attacks for Sentinel STN-3KA (Fusiliers):
-Punches Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) with Left Arm; needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 16 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 3 heat.

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 15 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 19 heat, sinks 18 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 2 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 2 heat, sinks 2 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 9 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 5 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) attempts to escape the bog. 5 (Base) – 1 (Mud) = 4, rolls 7: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (1/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 19th 9:00PM GMT.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 17, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

JUSTICE FOOT!

Think I'll run up next to the Commando and give it a kick while dumping shots into the Wolverine's back.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 17, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
The enemy Hunchback has no evasion mod. My reaction was something along the lines of cheering excitedly for the chance to pummel it. Sorrow when I realized not many people were in range, and then excitement at the realization that the Shadow Hawk and Gladiator are both well within PPC range and the Wolverine might be able to shoot it from the back.

You should still be careful obviously, it has it’s own long range weapon to make use of, but luckily the mass of it’s lasers are short-medium range at best.

You guys don’t have to obviously, I’m just in the peanut gallery right now. But the Hunchback is scary and I highly suggest taking this opportunity.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think everyone but the gladiator can actually get shots on the hunchback while blocking los from the whole test of the enemy Lance. This is a great opportunity too since it's such a sitting duck.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Yeah, the Hunch looks great this turn, and the Javelin might actually be able to get away with a dive on the far flank. I'm not even sure there's a better option for it?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Hunchbacks like this one have lower than normal rear armor. Even a ML hit will go critical on the side torsos.

On the other hand, 3/4 of you guys could try to focus on the left side arc but you might need to be open to the GRF and step out farther from the protecting hill to get the angle.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
From what I am seeing, it looks like 1211 would be a good place to stick the Treb. That'll put it in the rear arc of both the Hornet and the Griffin (who is also gonna eat a massive to-hit with the only weapon it can fire because of minimum range), while still giving a +1 Move Mod. I sadly don't see anywhere else it can get to that will allow a higher move mod that doesn't leave it exposed to the rest of the enemy force, so we might just have to suck up letting the Hunch go full Alpha and hope he boffs his rolls.

The rest of the lance I am not too worried about. The Wolverine can easily run to 2111 (if my math is right) and geta back shot on the Hunch, while the Shawk and Gladiator can use the hill centered on 1316 as cover from 4/5ths of the enemy force while still getting shots on the Hunch.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 17, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Rorahusky posted:

From what I am seeing, it looks like 1211 would be a good place to stick the Treb.

I'd say you'd be walking right into the HBK's danger zone and the TBT is already down on armor in some sections. 0413 where I presume he's going is safer in that the COM is throwing 10s and the GRF jumped so the PPC is at 11. While isolated, with initiative advantage, the TBT can always fall behind two different hills next turn should it need to.

If they're not fighting as a team, this might pull the COM+WVR away from joining the death ball with the rest.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Amechwarrior posted:

I'd say you'd be walking right into the HBK's danger zone and the TBT is already down on armor in some sections. 0413 where I presume he's going is safer in that the COM is throwing 10s and the GRF jumped so the PPC is at 11. While isolated, with initiative advantage, the TBT can always fall behind two different hills next turn should it need to.

If they're not fighting as a team, this might pull the COM+WVR away from joining the death ball with the rest.

Hmm, good point. I retract my advice.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

question about height and LOS, would the wolverine be able to see the hunchback from 2213? feel free to answer with lots of details/counterexamples, as i'm still learning :yayclod:

Scintilla posted:

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Fires LRM-10 at Gladiator WVR-6M (Player); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!

more evidence for the "simulator pods are actually quikscell" theory :v:

biosterous fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 17, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'm beginning to think my brain might have been manufactured by Quikscell. :v:

Funnily enough, the Gladiator 4R and the Wolverine 6M are very nearly the same mech. They have the same movement profile and their armament is also very similar. They even have the exact same BV. The main difference is that the Gladiator mounts all of its weapons in its arms, which gives it a greater possible field of fire in exchange for being completely neutered if its arms ever get blown off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:yeshaha:

I think I'm going to move my wolverine to either 2211 or 2112 to try and hit the hunchback in the rear, we might not get another chance to hit it while it's standing still

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gladiator

Thoughts on my move?

Walk to 2019 and snipe at the Hunchback. My PPC should be going out on 6s and his return fire will be on 10s.

Jump to where our Wolverine is currently sitting - no great shots but it'll give me an angle to flank next turn.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Gladiator

Thoughts on my move?

Walk to 2019 and snipe at the Hunchback. My PPC should be going out on 6s and his return fire will be on 10s.

Jump to where our Wolverine is currently sitting - no great shots but it'll give me an angle to flank next turn.

I'd say 2019 is pretty good and you have flexibility to further bully the lights and/or bail out the Javelin, which, being without jets, has the fewest options to cross the river with the rest of you. The Wolverine is already flanking and has the jets to pull back if needed.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Bloody Pom posted:

JUSTICE FOOT!

Think I'll run up next to the Commando and give it a kick while dumping shots into the Wolverine's back.

You take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

And I'll shoot the Wolverine 'afore ye!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo we need to focus as much as possible on the hunchback right now, it'll move next turn and the opportunity will be lost. It's the strongest mech they have and we've only got another turn before the others start to swarm us; we lose our advantages if we don't keep our distance from the lights.

I'm going to move to 2112 and fire on the hunchback.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Amechwarrior posted:

This is my plan. Slot into 0413 and try to open up the Wolverine's back with an alpha strike, then sweep the Commando's leg. Not the easiest rolls but I have the opportunity to cripple two of their mechs and outright kill one of them, I'd be a fool to pass it up.

e:Orders submitted, time to hopefully teach these rookies not to leave their flanks exposed to a critseeker.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 17, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

j u s t i c e
f o o t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I wonder how pilot hits and PSRs for pilot damage work in the simulation. Does a little notification pop up on screen and go "you're unconscious!"