Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
If they snuck mudcrabs into this game it would totally fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

hobbesmaster posted:

I keep hitting Andreja with my shotgun because it’s so hard to tell what’s going on sometimes and the floating indicators have bad “target boxes”.

Is there a particle beam rifle? Andreja does well with the pistol but nothing like Sarah with a decent equinox/orion.

I think so? But to be fair, see if she can use the Big Bang. It's a Particle Beam Shotgun that might have some AOE whooooops.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
What's he best way to store all your space junk in this? My cargo hold is constantly full of resources and I don't know where to dump them so I can easily access them.

I have also got arrested and forced to go undercover with the space pirates. Can I just ignore that or will. The space police keep arresting me whenever I land on planets or whatever.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't understand why Bethesda has so many goddamned ammo types in this

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

DrWrestling69 posted:

What's he best way to store all your space junk in this? My cargo hold is constantly full of resources and I don't know where to dump them so I can easily access them.

I have also got arrested and forced to go undercover with the space pirates. Can I just ignore that or will. The space police keep arresting me whenever I land on planets or whatever.

It’s a quest you can just ignore it.

They did that to me because I accidentally picked up someone’s 58 credit dinner and the barman ran from behind the counter at me and security swarmed me.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Grapplejack posted:

In the very beginning it makes you use different guns but money (and thus ammo) quickly becomes a non-issue so it just becomes annoying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Is there a particle beam rifle? Andreja does well with the pistol but nothing like Sarah with a decent equinox/orion.

The Inflictor. I think her default weapon is one.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

skooma512 posted:

It’s a quest you can just ignore it.

They did that to me because I accidentally picked up someone’s 58 credit dinner and the barman ran from behind the counter at me and security swarmed me.

Excellent. I went to the pirate base and already has a huge bounty from them because of all the space pirates I killed. I also can't be bothered doing the pirate initiation or whatever that mission is.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
The sheer amount of poo poo to possibly pickup/steal and sell is staggering. It's downright annoying honestly.
I clear one science lab/outpost/whatever and I'm full. My ship can hold 450 and my gear has mechanized + some other mod that gives me a total of +60 and I'm constantly at or near overburdened.
Yes, some of the ship stuff is resources and I even just dump stuff on the ground of my ship. It's becoming a drat trash compactor ship.
The fact that I can't just hit 1 button to sell all the misc stuff is so mind-numbingly dumb.

Also, wtf are digipicks part of the misc tab and not my aid???

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

After the update, finding a bunch of NPCs in underwear. New Atlantis really has a lax conception of modesty.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Making you use different guns has the upside of encouraging you to try out a lot of different guns, the vast majority of which are very fun.

I've been winnowing my favorites bar down, and it is now a magshot, a breach shotgun (explosive rounds for fun, not sure if it's "optimal"), and a sniper rifle. I haven't found a good DMR yet to compete with my pistol's ~300 damage, so I just close the distance and pistol everything. Pistols are very very good in this game.

Also, the "handloading" weapon attribute really fucks with the weapon modification bench. I think the attribute randomizes damage to be +/- some % (presumably averaging out to a net gain), and whenever you mouse over a weapon mod, it applies that randomization when it shows in the top left corner what the damage would be that mod were installed. So if you repeatedly mouseover two different mods (not even install them, just mouse over), the displayed damage changes up and down significantly each time. Makes it impossible to tell what the actual mod effect on damage is.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

The sheer amount of poo poo to possibly pickup/steal and sell is staggering. It's downright annoying honestly.
I clear one science lab/outpost/whatever and I'm full. My ship can hold 450 and my gear has mechanized + some other mod that gives me a total of +60 and I'm constantly at or near overburdened.
Yes, some of the ship stuff is resources and I even just dump stuff on the ground of my ship. It's becoming a drat trash compactor ship.
The fact that I can't just hit 1 button to sell all the misc stuff is so mind-numbingly dumb.

Also, wtf are digipicks part of the misc tab and not my aid???

Stop picking up garbage. I don't grab anything that isn't:
  • gear/weapon upgrade
  • skill book
  • health pack or one of a very short list of chems
  • digipick
  • ammo (0 weight)
  • on my short resource shopping list
  • value-to-weight ratio > 2000
  • a plushie I don't have yet

Enigma fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 15, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tiny Chalupa posted:

:psyduck:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

widespread posted:

I think so? But to be fair, see if she can use the Big Bang. It's a Particle Beam Shotgun that might have some AOE whooooops.

I know, that’s what I keep hitting her with.

I put 3 points in shotguns, I get the god tier ones! Also, I’ve seriously only ever seen the one big bang…

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s a valid way to play a BGS game.

StarUI actually adds a sell all in category button. Don’t forget to buyback your digipicks!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Grapplejack posted:

It's definitely confusing, especially when there seem to be variants of each type. My primary is a Regulator that takes .43 Ultramag ammo, but I've also found Ultramag MI or whatever that isn't compatible. I assume it's tied to a weapon mod, but I haven't found it.

I basically pick up all ammo, though, since it's 0 mass. I keep the 3 different types I actually use, and treat the others like credit vouchers.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

DrWrestling69 posted:

Alternatively, is there a quick way to drop all my garbage in the lodge safe? I can access the ship inventory from the lodge but it won't let me take stuff from it...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

I assume someone made a ropekid sickos edit at some point, just imagine I posted it here.

Though FONV primarily went crazy after you started messing with the reloading bench yourself.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I always fixate on a single weapon in these gams, so I just buy all the 11mm I find and pretend the rest doesn't exist

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hate that you have to assign a follower to your ship or outpost in order to get them to follow you. Does your ship/outpost still get the benefit of your skills when they are with you?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I hate that you have to assign a follower to your ship or outpost in order to get them to follow you. Does your ship/outpost still get the benefit of your skills when they are with you?

you literally do not need to do this, you can have an unassigned companion; far as I know ships only get benefits of skills when a crew is assigned (but NOT if they're unassigned and your companion)

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you literally do not need to do this, you can have an unassigned companion; far as I know ships only get benefits of skills when a crew is assigned (but NOT if they're unassigned and your companion)

Are you sure? Whenever I unassigned a companion it tells me they have left as a companion and when I talk to them if they are unassigned the only choice I have is is that I want them to join my crew. Then after they join my crew the choice to ask them to follow me appears.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Just lmao if you aren't giving whatever companion you're with the most powerful Bridger you have and a single 40mm xpl round

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I think all companions will show up in the crew list, but they don't have to be assigned anywhere to follow you. The first time you ask them to join you get the crew assignment screen but you can just cancel out of that screen without penalty.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

How can I pull up the crew list without talking to a companion?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I really hate how the gun inventory can't just have the "name (ammo type)" instead of just the name

I know mods fix this but also how did the playtesters not go insane flipping back and forth to see if it was 7.77 instead of 7.5 or whatever

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

selec posted:

Go to ship in the menu screen and hit Y (or whatever key on keyboard if youre PC)

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

selec posted:

Open the menu, then go to the starship menu (at the bottom left) and you should see the button to hit listed at the bottom to view your crew. It's C on PC, dunno about controller.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Velocity Raptor posted:

Open the menu, then go to the starship menu (at the bottom left) and you should see the button to hit listed at the bottom to view your crew. It's C on PC, dunno about controller.

Thanks goon!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DrWrestling69 posted:

I built an outpost with aluminum extractors, a cargo link to import iron and helium from a second outpost, and a transfer link. Grab some tungsten/titanium from wherever and build an industrial crafting bench to make adaptive frames, and you've got everything you need to build as many storage containers as it takes to hold all your stuff.

Then you can use output links to make it so that you can empty all of the resources in your ship's hold into the transfer link, which will in turn send everything to the appropriate types of containers. I also built a hab unit with all the crafting benches and stationed Lin + Heller there for their perks.

Whenever my ship starts to get full of rocks and gas, I can just drop everything off at the outpost with a minimum of fuss.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

hobbesmaster posted:

I know, that’s what I keep hitting her with.

I put 3 points in shotguns, I get the god tier ones! Also, I’ve seriously only ever seen the one big bang…

I think I only saw one at Rowland Arms myself. But it said shotgun so shotgun I must use.

Goes swell with my Drum Beat That Thinks Its A Shotgun (One Inch Punch perk), Elegance, and my Handloaded Slug Launcher (Coachman with Slugs, soon to be Coachman with Hornet's Nest).

toadee posted:

Just lmao if you aren't giving whatever companion you're with the most powerful Bridger you have and a single 40mm xpl round

Can I give them a gun with the Annihilator Rounds mod? If only to offload all the warcriming onto them when convenient.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

DrWrestling69 posted:

The further I get into the game, the more I think the best idea is to just sell all your resources and buy or farm what you need for individual projects or upgrades and pretend there's no outpost system. There's no good mechanism to store resources in the game currently.

If you do want to though, my suggestion would be to stockpile a ton of resources that are needed for the solid and manufactured storage containers and then build an outpost. Build a landing pad, the cargo transfer structure that looks like a giant cherry picker, and then start building groups of each storage container type next to each other but separate from different resources types. There's an option to create an output link from a container so what you want to do is have the cargo transfer output to each of the container types. In theory, you'll be able to dump stuff from your inventory or ship cargo into the cargo transfer and it'll sort into the correct storage and the storage containers will connect to each other and auto fill.

In practice, you will likely need to delete the output connection from the cargo transfer to the various storage container groups. And sometimes you might have to delete and rebuild a storage container that won't fill. You can also connect storage to each other and sometimes that'll fix it if they are snapped and not auto filling.

If you do all your crafting at that outpost, you don't need to worry about what you have. And you can build and then delete structures to have the resources placed into your inventory if you want to withdrawal resources to build an outpost elsewhere. This doesn't work for structures you can't build at a given outpost, so it's far from perfect.

Alternatively, slow walk it all to the infinite capacity storage at the lodge.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

StarUI actually adds a sell all in category button. Don’t forget to buyback your digipicks!
The neat thing is, you can specifically exclude any item from the "sell all" control in StarUI. Although I thought digipicks were in that list by default. Check the mod's ini, regardless.

What's that, super basic QOL poo poo that should be in the base game? Mods are the answer!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

What do your parents do if you choose the trait where you don't have a tragic backstory? Is there anything cool or is it just a house with two people in it.

They show up in cities you visit sometimes for fun little interactions

Bumped into them in a night club on the Drug Party Planet

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Magmarashi posted:

They show up in cities you visit sometimes for fun little interactions

Bumped into them in a night club on the Drug Party Planet

i ran into them at some tourist trap museum in akila city

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

sushibandit posted:

The neat thing is, you can specifically exclude any item from the "sell all" control in StarUI. Although I thought digipicks were in that list by default. Check the mod's ini, regardless.

What's that, super basic QOL poo poo that should be in the base game? Mods are the answer!

Crazy, I know. I Can now sell all the misc items, including 100 folders, with just one click.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
why are you picking that poo poo up though

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Legs Benedict posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I remember people lampooning Deus Ex 2 for its universal ammo but honestly ammo management adds nothing to the majority of games with it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Legs Benedict posted:

I decided to install some mods last night, and one of the first was the Burden Me Not - Clutter Begone mod, so that useless junk that isn't worth anything can't be picked up and added to your inventory. Depending on which version of the mod you use, it won't even be highlighted when you hover your mouse over it. Made not accidentally grabbing something that ends up in a pile of worthless crap so much easier to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

When you change your ship or capture someone else's all the random props get dumped in your cargo hold.