Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Another HD Homerun + Plex user here, works great for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Works fine as others have said and can also do DVR nonsense with trimming commercials as well. I’d recommend having them marked for skipping just to be safe though.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Motronic posted:

I did that for years with an antenna and HDHomerun. Worked fine.

Only reason I stopped was that I moved and never have gotten around to putting the antenna back up.

Burden posted:

I use an HD HomeRun and Plex and it works nicely. I mainly use it for recording a few shows and recording/watching some sporting events (World cup, Olympics, etc). The recording features are fairly robust and can remove or skip commercials if you want. If you don't have Plex Pass you will need that to use the DVR feature and get a bunch of other useful features.

Enos Cabell posted:

Another HD Homerun + Plex user here, works great for us.

This HD HomeRun option appeals to me, because my Plex Server is not exactly in the most antenna friendly location

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

This HD HomeRun option appeals to me, because my Plex Server is not exactly in the most antenna friendly location

The HD HomeRun will have to be plugged into your network, they don't have wifi. I would also recommend hard wiring your Plex server as well if it isn't already, as hard wiring it will eliminate a lot of potential issues.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

One thing worth mentioning in case it's a surprise is that you can't share live TV with other accounts like you can your library. (DVR'ed TV that's in your library can be shared though.) So you're only able to watch live from clients that are logged in as your account. There are legal restrictions against redistributing live broadcasts that I guess Plex doesn't want to get near.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can share live TV with anyone who is added to your system as a Home User, so you don’t need to share logins at least.

With my combination of HDHR, IPTV and fake live TV stations it’s probably for the best in my circumstance as different parts of the ecosystem have different tuner counts and it’s just easier if it’s just me who can see it. I really wish they’d make the TV/DVR stuff a little better… just being able to use categories would be a godsend when dealing with hundreds of channels.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Burden posted:

The HD HomeRun will have to be plugged into your network, they don't have wifi. I would also recommend hard wiring your Plex server as well if it isn't already, as hard wiring it will eliminate a lot of potential issues.

I have everything hardwired via MoCA adapters, so no concern there

edit:

acksplode posted:

One thing worth mentioning in case it's a surprise is that you can't share live TV with other accounts like you can your library. (DVR'ed TV that's in your library can be shared though.) So you're only able to watch live from clients that are logged in as your account. There are legal restrictions against redistributing live broadcasts that I guess Plex doesn't want to get near.
Thanks for the heads up, that's not a concern, they can figure their own OTA shiz

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

acksplode posted:

Yeah as the other poster said, only home users can share Live TV, if you want to share Live TV to other users you'll need to use Jellyfin instead.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Talorat posted:

if you want to share Live TV to other users you'll need to use Jellyfin instead.

I'm just today playing with this for IPTV. There is a disappointing lack of sorting/categories just like in Plex. I feel like I need to find some sort of proxy to cut down on useless channels and perhaps be able to route them through a VPN and have Plex/Jellyfin connect to that as a "provider".

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Motronic posted:

I'm just today playing with this for IPTV. There is a disappointing lack of sorting/categories just like in Plex. I feel like I need to find some sort of proxy to cut down on useless channels and perhaps be able to route them through a VPN and have Plex/Jellyfin connect to that as a "provider".

You could try https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster/

Seems to be like xteve, but xteve seems to be abandoned. Interface in this stream master thing though sucks

You can use m3u4u.com to pare down the feed for input into xteve

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh, now that looks interesting. Thanks!

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Motronic posted:

I use xteve for this and it mostly works, but like the other poster said it seems to be abandoned. I’ll check out this stream master thing.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Just getting thoughts on this.
My PC is connected to my home receiver through HDMI, audio is set through nvidia settings to passthrough the audio. I have a 3.1 speaker setup.

Playing the same file that has DDP 5.1 encoding:
Plex HTPC I hear audio out of all 3.1 speakers (receiver shows PCM - direct)
VLC I hear audio out of all 3.1 speakers (receiver shows PCM - direct)
Windows Media Player I hear out of all 3.1 speakers (receiver front panel shows "Dolby Digital Plus")

Why do you think that is?

I figured out VLC has an option to "HDMI/SPIF audio passthrough", so now VLC has my receiver front panel shows "Dolby Digital Plus"

Does Plex HTPC have this? I can't find anything like this in Plex/Plex HTPC.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 12, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Just for future reference :

In Plex HTPC, in settings, under "Audio", select your Audio device. Don't leave to to auto.
After you selected your Audio Device, you can select the audio formats it supports (TrueHD, DTS, AC3, etc)

Why it defaults to nothing instead of default to everything....

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

You could try https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster/

Seems to be like xteve, but xteve seems to be abandoned. Interface in this stream master thing though sucks

You can use m3u4u.com to pare down the feed for input into xteve

Talorat posted:

I use xteve for this and it mostly works, but like the other poster said it seems to be abandoned. I’ll check out this stream master thing.

There’s also Threadfin, which is a fork of xteve that aims to add features (backup channels, auto mapping etc) but it’s very much an in development thing and those features are a bit hit and miss right now. I wish of everything it would auto enable streams and apply a blank EPG template if one isn’t automatically found, but maybe with epg.best (similar toolset to m3u4u from what I can tell) I can fix that when the channel names change on sports feeds and the provider hasn’t set a TVG ID (grrrrr).

https://github.com/Threadfin/Threadfin

IPTV in Plex is generally a never ending game that isn’t as rewarding as the effort you put into it, but it has its moments.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s also Threadfin, which is a fork of xteve that aims to add features (backup channels, auto mapping etc) but it’s very much an in development thing and those features are a bit hit and miss right now. I wish of everything it would auto enable streams and apply a blank EPG template if one isn’t automatically found, but maybe with epg.best (similar toolset to m3u4u from what I can tell) I can fix that when the channel names change on sports feeds and the provider hasn’t set a TVG ID (grrrrr).

https://github.com/Threadfin/Threadfin

IPTV in Plex is generally a never ending game that isn’t as rewarding as the effort you put into it, but it has its moments.

Oooo thanks for the heads up, I’ll check it out.

Yeah honestly I’m surprised how poor the support for IPTV is across the board and how many of the options are paid only. It’s weird when software like sonarr/radarr is so ubiquitous and high quality.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This 1st generation Amazon Fire stick is finally stuttering playback of h.264 so badly that I'm afraid I'm going to have to junk it.

I wonder if I could hack it and install Alpine Linux. There was a time where playback was great, and I'm sure I don't need whatever crap Amazon installed that's chewing CPU in the background.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I didn't realize the Roku stick was so tiny. Is it crap? I seriously only need Plex, and a way to detect and authenticate to captive portals in hotels (like, a web browser).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I didn't realize the Roku stick was so tiny. Is it crap? I seriously only need Plex, and a way to detect and authenticate to captive portals in hotels (like, a web browser).

This is exactly why I had one - its was just for my travel bag. It wasn't even the 4k one and it worked just fine. The 4k ones are even faster.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

cruft posted:

Perfectly fine, have them on older TVs that don't have smart capabilities and one in a travel bag as Motronic mentioned. They haven't had an issue playing anything from my NAS

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
I'm having issues with Plex Music. I have Lidarr and I put a few albums in separate folders with proper naming, but Plex is putting all of the songs as one album. Any ideas?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

trilljester posted:

I'm having issues with Plex Music. I have Lidarr and I put a few albums in separate folders with proper naming, but Plex is putting all of the songs as one album. Any ideas?

put the albums in foobar and check the tags. Tags are more important for music in plex than file naming.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Unless it's something really obscure I'm still surprised Plex couldn't figure it out with just an 'artist - album' folder structure. I run all my stuff through Musicbrainz to tag it before putting it in my library, and even in the few cases where something hasn't been in their database it still shows up correctly in Plex.

How do you have your Artists and Albums agents set up? I think most people recommend putting Local Media Assets as the first item in the menu, at least for the Personal Media categories.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I find with music, regardless of where it came from PlexAmp/Plex pretty much always nails it. Things like radio shows and podcasts it often shits the bed with and I usually strip off all the existing tags and start again. I used to use Picard but it was telling me it had done stuff in the batch that it hadn’t did some reason.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

https://torrentfreak.com/plex-will-block-media-servers-at-prevalent-hosting-company-230915/

Plex is blacklisting an entire ISP now. The presumption appears to be that they are cracking down on piracy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah been reading the reactions. I would love to know the behind the scenes on this… whose idea was it, theirs or content providers? Was legal action threatened otherwise? Is someone testing the waters to see how they’ll react? Is Plex testing the waters to see how we will react?

As someone who doesn’t host remotely at all, it doesn’t make a difference to my use case - but it does raise some slight concerns.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

cruft posted:

https://torrentfreak.com/plex-will-block-media-servers-at-prevalent-hosting-company-230915/

Plex is blacklisting an entire ISP now. The presumption appears to be that they are cracking down on piracy.

Is it an ISP, or is it a Hosting provider? The article seems to indicate that Plex users were storing media for their Plex servers on the Hosting provider's servers, which seems like a huge no-no. Similar to how some Plex users were storing media on Google Drive servers instead of their own home server, yes?

This really shouldn't be an issue if you are a user who hosts all their media from home instead of on a hosting providers server. I have to imagine the vast majority of Plex users are doing the former.

Edit:

Plex mod seems to indicate the same thing:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 15, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Plex reps have claimed in the past that they don't even have the ability to tell what files a server is hosting without deep diving metadata, and even then determining the source is near impossible. Assume that's why they're blocking things at an ISP level VS individual servers.

It sounds like this is targeting big shared servers that are basically running as a quasi-public streaming service. They must know if they tried to crack down on people's local libraries 90% of their userbase would suddenly become very interested in kodi/emby/jellyfin etc.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I had a friend who had forever access to their student Google drive with unlimited storage so they would host all their media there. Seemed like a terrible idea to me but I reckon they weren't the only one with this idea.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Isn't Germany in particular really hard core about enforcing copyright laws?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Corb3t posted:

The article seems to indicate that Plex users were storing media for their Plex servers on the Hosting provider's servers, which seems like a huge no-no.

It's no different than hosting it at home.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Is it an ISP, or is it a Hosting provider? The article seems to indicate that Plex users were storing media for their Plex servers on the Hosting provider's servers, which seems like a huge no-no. Similar to how some Plex users were storing media on Google Drive servers instead of their own home server, yes?

This really shouldn't be an issue if you are a user who hosts all their media from home instead of on a hosting providers server. I have to imagine the vast majority of Plex users are doing the former.

Edit:

Plex mod seems to indicate the same thing:

There's a very lucrative business of renting out access to Plex servers for a monthly fee. I see ads for them all over Reddit and TikTok.

You put up a Plex instance on Hetzner and then host all your content on Enterprise Google Drive accounts which can get up to 5tb storage. VPS plans have 30tb outbound traffic and Ingress data from Google to Hetzner is free.
Total cost is about $100/mo and you sell off ~100 logins for $5/mo

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MikusR posted:

It's no different than hosting it at home.

It's......different in method, upstream bandwidth and in most cases intention. Do you really think an argument like that would fly?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Motronic posted:

It's......different in method, upstream bandwidth and in most cases intention. Do you really think an argument like that would fly?

Argument like what? That I keep My own files on hardware i pay for? It's no different than keeping your music on Dropbox.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Well the difference is that storing and distributing copywrited material is explicitly against the ToS for practically every provider involved who generally do not want any extra exposure to legal liability. Why Plex would get involved is beyond me however.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Aware posted:

Well the difference is that storing and distributing copywrited material is explicitly against the ToS for practically every provider involved who generally do not want any extra exposure to legal liability. Why Plex would get involved is beyond me however.

Plex has been trying to appear more legit for the past few years by focusing more on their on demand service as well as the ability to connect to streaming services. If you notice the carousel on their front page, the ability to add your own media is 3rd

like FCKGW mentioned, there has been a huge surge of people renting out access to massive plex servers ran in datacenters. This is the biggest red flag for rights holders, others profiting off their intellectual property. They've likely been putting heat on the plex company for a while to do this, and you can bet we'll see far more crackdowns on this in the future. Plex is synonymous with piracy in their eyes, even if they're not actually distributing the pirated media themselves.

Luckily, if you've been following best practices in terms of file naming and organization, your collection should be easily imported to other services like kodi if plex one day disappears or removes the ability to manage your own media.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MikusR posted:

Argument like what? That I keep My own files on hardware i pay for? It's no different than keeping your music on Dropbox.

Yes, that exact specious argument. I suppose you DO believe that would fly even though the entire reason we're discussing this is "it doesn't, and here's the first direct action being taken to demonstrate that."

I'm glad I've been running jellyfin in parallel for a while and am at a point where "I can live with it". It's just missing some polish that plex has.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HKR posted:

Plex has been trying to appear more legit for the past few years by focusing more on their on demand service as well as the ability to connect to streaming services..

Obviously we don’t have insider info, but if the people hosting their own media jumped ship would Plex even last a month? They’ve been well and truly beaten to this market by Tubi, Pluto etc.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Why wouldn't Plex dedicate much front page space to hosting your own media, a niche market that isn't growing and that they already dominate? Let's read deeply into that. It's only listed third?? They're probably gonna tear that feature out next month. Hold your loved ones while you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Obviously we don’t have insider info, but if the people hosting their own media jumped ship would Plex even last a month? They’ve been well and truly beaten to this market by Tubi, Pluto etc.

It's not clear how plex is making the bulk of their money these days. Is it content deals? Is it subscriptions? Did they have too many of us leeches buy a lifetime plexpass at a discount?