Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is where I get to point out that NCEES' official policy is that a PE who passes their exams is minimally qualified (pdf), the testing standard used to say "minimally competent", which I always thought was a hilarious thing that only a group of engineers would use to describe one another :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Thanks, will find someone for this!

I checked out the void and it doesn't look too crazy. Endoscope comes in handy yet again!

Bet a lot of your patients are glad to hear those words.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Bet a lot of your patients are glad to hear those words.

We finally discover the depths Dr. E had to plumb to find the freshest deals.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

oh the things I have seen

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

oh the things I have seen

Two hands, one ring, and a portal to all the deals.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is replacing the compressor on a mitsubishi minisplit system as much of a PITA as it sounds? Our outdoor unit isn't working. I had two "Mitsubishi Diamond" people come out. One thought it was the board, one thought it was the compressor. The guy that thought it was the compressor said they wouldn't replace it because it's such a PITA. A guy came out to swap out the board under warranty. Turns out it's probably the compressor, and that they also don't want to replace the compressor.

Both recommended essentially scrapping the outdoor units.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Is replacing the compressor on a mitsubishi minisplit system as much of a PITA as it sounds? Our outdoor unit isn't working. I had two "Mitsubishi Diamond" people come out. One thought it was the board, one thought it was the compressor. The guy that thought it was the compressor said they wouldn't replace it because it's such a PITA. A guy came out to swap out the board under warranty. Turns out it's probably the compressor, and that they also don't want to replace the compressor.

Both recommended essentially scrapping the outdoor units.

I don't see why any professional billing for a job would replace a compressor in a residential unit, mini split or not. Parts and labor are going to exceed replacement costs, system needs to be evacuated and vaced either way, new unit comes with everything brand new - including a dryer and refrigerant - and a warranty therefore the service company isn't on the hook for a labor warranty on the compressor they replaced......

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

I don't see why any professional billing for a job would replace a compressor in a residential unit, mini split or not. Parts and labor are going to exceed replacement costs, system needs to be evacuated and vaced either way, new unit comes with everything brand new - including a dryer and refrigerant - and a warranty therefore the service company isn't on the hook for a labor warranty on the compressor they replaced......

Ah, so we’re in the situation where Mitsubishi is trying to cover a relatively cheap part (leaving me responsible for insane labor) instead of replacing the entire unit. Cool. Cool.

Guess I’ll call them next week and say two of their diamond dealers both said the same thing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Why isn't the compressor under warranty if the board is? This sounds like a fight between them and mitsubishi.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Why isn't the compressor under warranty if the board is? This sounds like a fight between them and mitsubishi.

It is. Parts only.

Compressors aren't all that expensive, but recovering the entire system of refrigerant, taking it apart, desoldering the old compressor, resoldering while nitrogen purging the entire system, adding in an old work dryer, vacing it, replacing the refrigerant, topping up the refrigerant (because you'll never get it ALL out fo the recovery cylinder) and reassembling the unit/remounting is the expensive part.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

The compressor is under warranty. When I called a few weeks ago (before the board came in for replacement), Mitsubishi said they wanted the servicer to replace the compressor. I just can’t find anyone to want to do it because they won’t be able to warranty the work.

Edit: what he said

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was very helpful, thanks. Is a license a good enough guarantee that they know what they're doing? I live in a small area, and there's likely to be only one structural engineer in town, if that.

A license just means they were smart and capable enough to pass the test and another PE was a mentor (letter of recommendation). You should be able to find out if they're bonded and insured like any contractor for work they perform.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Struensee posted:

At least there's not much left that can break anymore.

WELL, WELL, WELL, WHAT DO WE HAVE HERE?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Looks like a new thread title in the making, boss

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Water is the enemy.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

MarcusSA posted:

Water is the enemy.

I still remember this thread title and probably repeat it on my head a couple times a month :v:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

MarcusSA posted:

Water is the enemy.

Welcome to my (watery) nightmare.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

The compressor is under warranty. When I called a few weeks ago (before the board came in for replacement), Mitsubishi said they wanted the servicer to replace the compressor. I just can’t find anyone to want to do it because they won’t be able to warranty the work.

Edit: what he said

The whole team came out and the compressor killed a (new) board, so it's definitely the compressor AND board now. So they're going to try to go to Mitsubishi and request a new unit. The other place finally got back to me with a "gently caress you" price of $7.5k to replace the compressor.

So they're going to try to ask Mitsubishi to replace the unit. Welp.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We were gonna each get a mini split for our home offices (both have a Western exposure, and my wife's office has a SW exposure) but you're talking me out of getting a Mitsubishi unit :catstare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

We were gonna each get a mini split for our home offices (both have a Western exposure, and my wife's office has a SW exposure) but you're talking me out of getting a Mitsubishi unit :catstare:

https://www.ecomfort.com/Fujitsu-12LPAS1/p117620.html

I love my Fujitsu 1 ton minisplit. :v: This is a newer one, and they seem to have gone to 12k btu on the 120v models now. Before you could only get 9k btu cooling on 120v. (The one I linked is a 240V, the SEER2 jumps dramatically over the 120V version if the website is to be believed.)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Hadlock posted:

I can tell you my Fujitsu system has been nothing but a pain in the rear end, so pick your poison

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have elevated the dehumidifier and tapped it into an old now-unused heater fuel pipe which, after some... modifications... effectively delivers the dehumidified water to a safe place outside. No more manually changing the tank!

I've also removed my toilet from the bathroom. Stupid toilet. I was gonna put in new one but I noticed the flange seems to mostly be a pile of red rust bits, so now I plan on changing the flange beforehand. Next week I get to finally look in my main attic, fight some wasps, and uproot several dozen square feet of poison ivy.

I'm thoroughly enjoying having a house so far.

What do I actually do with things like heating units and toilets I want to get rid of? I have no idea how to dispose of these things.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

GlyphGryph posted:

What do I actually do with things like heating units and toilets I want to get rid of? I have no idea how to dispose of these things.

I don't know if this is the right way of doing it, but I've seen it suggested that for toilets you just smash it outside and put all the pieces in with the regular trash.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Your municipal waste department or contractor should be able to tell you exactly what to do.

Here, clean and dry toilets can be separated into two pieces and left at the curb. Extremely heavy one pieces would have to be taken to the dump by you.

Heater would require more details but generally if no chemicals (refrigerants are a problem) and under 50 lbs they take it. Actually someone will probably take it for scrap before the trash pickup.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Speaking of refrigerants: I have a very, very old fridge in the basement that the prior owner left. It won't fit up the stairs due to some sort of modification years ago (prior owner lived here 50 years).

My dad wants to come in and just chop it up with power tools. Any reason to not do this? It's a single standing fridge, no freezer compartment. The power company won't take it, various appliance delivery and junk removal people refuse to take it out as well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I don't know if this is the right way of doing it, but I've seen it suggested that for toilets you just smash it outside and put all the pieces in with the regular trash.

This is what I did a few years ago. Sledge hammer in the driveway with a tarp to catch the shards, piled the chunks in a couple 5 gallon buckets and just dumped a bit in the garbage every time I took a bag out until the buckets were empty.

Wear gloves, pants, and closed toe shoes. The little shards of ceramic are sharp as all gently caress and if one works its way into a seam in your clothing (say, the top of a sock) you can find yourself bleeding pretty well before you know what's going on.

edit: and safety glasses.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

trevorreznik posted:

Speaking of refrigerants: I have a very, very old fridge in the basement that the prior owner left. It won't fit up the stairs due to some sort of modification years ago (prior owner lived here 50 years).

My dad wants to come in and just chop it up with power tools. Any reason to not do this? It's a single standing fridge, no freezer compartment. The power company won't take it, various appliance delivery and junk removal people refuse to take it out as well.

If it is possible to remove the compressor and all the refrigerant lines from this fridge (INTACT) then I don't see any reason why not. If you can't, then there's probably a good chance of releasing all of the refrigerant into the atmosphere/your enclosed basement which is illegal and likely hazardous to you.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I threw away a patio one time, figured concrete chunks are way better than most poo poo that goes into a landfill. It's just loving sand and gravel, right?

Garbageman pounded on my door, pissed as hell. I guess he had a shredder on his truck? That I had just broken to gently caress (or maybe just dulled the hell out of, wasn't clear), by hiding several hundred pounds of concrete in my trash bin.

So maybe check with your garbage guy first before putting chunks of a fridge in there? Those shredders have to be designed for *some* metal, apparently just not for 2 foot boulders.

My city has one day a year where you put out all the random large crap like broken electronics and sofas. And scavengers get most of it before the trash comes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We get 3 "large item pickups" a year (but really unlimited as long as you aren't abusing it). Just call the city and 5 minutes later you're scheduled as it's always the day after your trash day. Put the item on the street by 6am and a city worker in a flatbed truck comes by and it disappears. Just has to be lift able by 1 person. Give them a call before you try to hide it or whatever.

Unless it's a private company then gently caress em.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Our garbage company is great, they will pick up almost anything outside of a small list of hazardous materials provided you give them advance notice. They've collected a few rooms worth of demo, large appliances, and large pieces of furniture over the years with no added fees.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Our garbage company is great, they will pick up almost anything outside of a small list of hazardous materials provided you give them advance notice. They've collected a few rooms worth of demo, large appliances, and large pieces of furniture over the years with no added fees.

That's awesome. Ours is very reasonably priced via the city ($120/quarter including sewer and street sweeping), but if you want to get rid of construction debris beyond one bag a week in the regular trash your supposed to get a rented dumpster. But a regular dumpster a pickup truck can deliver is under $100/load so it's not bad. A full rolloff is only like $400 or so? There's a tonnage fee but only if you go over some allotment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
With our (municipal) trash service we also get a number of passes to the "dump" where you can haul all your construction debris.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
WM loving sucks. One big pickup per year (appliances must be CA-discard signed, meaning pre-drained for refrigerants, etc), one bin only for regular pickups, and paying roughly $90 per month for the privilege. If they knock over your bin with the lift-arm, they will just leave the garbage to fly all over the neighborhood.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GlyphGryph posted:

Based on the archeology of my back yard, you just dump old toilets at your least visible property line and wait for nature to take its course.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just do what everyone in LA does and dump it on the sidewalk somewhere

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

WM loving sucks. One big pickup per year (appliances must be CA-discard signed, meaning pre-drained for refrigerants, etc), one bin only for regular pickups, and paying roughly $90 per month for the privilege. If they knock over your bin with the lift-arm, they will just leave the garbage to fly all over the neighborhood.

And this is why I would have 0 problem throwing away literally anything in a private refuse company bin. You should see the teeth gnashing on facedoor when the city does their annual inflation price hike of... $4/year. For Trash, recycling, green (plus compost!), sewer, and street sweeping.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Our township has bulk garbage you can pay for, and I think it was like $40 for a pickup-bed-sized load. That's what we did wen we had a few mattresses and bed frames to get rid of and didn't want to donate (had some funky mold like stain on some of em).

When I took down a large rotten shed we have I used those WM Bagsters which would have been great if I could have kept to it 1 but I imagine I ultimately didn't save much money. It was nice being able to pick it up at homedepot and just plop it in the yard though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My city is pretty good about waste except if it's masonry waste. You can't throw it away on the curb and you can't take it to the local transfer station.

Your only method of disposal is driving it all the way to the dump at the edge of the city, and paying $100 per 2 tons, with that also being the minimum. So even though I had less than a pickup bed of concrete and mortar to toss after busting up an old well house. I had to spend $100 to legally get rid of it.

It explains why I see piles of concrete and dirt in every vacant lot though, which is realistically what happens when they make it so hard and expensive to dispose of things.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

My city is pretty good about waste except if it's masonry waste. You can't throw it away on the curb and you can't take it to the local transfer station.

Your only method of disposal is driving it all the way to the dump at the edge of the city, and paying $100 per 2 tons, with that also being the minimum. So even though I had less than a pickup bed of concrete and mortar to toss after busting up an old well house. I had to spend $100 to legally get rid of it.

It explains why I see piles of concrete and dirt in every vacant lot though, which is realistically what happens when they make it so hard and expensive to dispose of things.

Wierd that they wouldn't rent you a lowboy. That's basically why that form factor exists. Then it's all hydraulics doing the bulk hauling, you just have to get it IN the drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My township has weekly large item pickup. It's effectively unlimited for condo dwellers. For single family homes it's a total of 5 items per week, any combination of trash cans, bags, or large items. I don't know about a limitation in masonry, but no "contractor generated" stuff, diy only. Not sure how they determine that. I guess if you have a building permit? The guy putting poo poo on the curb isn't getting a permit either.

We also have appliance pickup by appointment, monthly e-waste drop off at the town hall, and weekly paint drop off.

I'm in a disposal utopia.