Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Haven't played since MK9 but still follow new games with great interest, so I while I can't say much about the gameplay, here's a few stray observations I had:

> Shang: "I killed your family already, Reptile." Reptile: "Oh no! Anyway,"

lol yeah he is barely phased by this for about a scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

CapnAndy posted:

I hate hate haaaaaate the stupid over-fiddly gear system they used for IJ2 and MK11 (and 10 too, maybe? I forget). Stop it. You are a fighting game. The outfits your characters wear are supposed to be iconic. Make some skins with actual artistic intent behind them that look cool, don't give me a bunch of random drops and leave me with characters that look like they rolled around in a Spirit Halloween while half-asleep and half drunk.

I'm with you on this, the mk11 base costumes were very good but the gear system left me dry. I'd rather they put that effort into producing more cohesive alternate costumes

I do hope that the alternate bad timeline edgelord skins for each character become available without too much fuss. I lmaoed when kenshi's bad guy skin was "cool shades" and i was woefully unprepared for how dumb things would get

I just realized what a wasted opportunity it was for them to not have old rumors like hornbuckle and Nimbus terrafaux and weird obscure characters like Hydro not show up during the finale. I'm disappointed now

pretty soft girl fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 15, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So all of the arcade endings are supposed to be canon and all follow the events of story mode. Some of them feel like they should be watched before others. Here's a quick guide:

Reptile -> Baraka -> Mileena
Liu Kang -> Geras
Havik -> Rain
Johnny Cage -> Kenshi
General Shao -> Kitana -> Reiko
Scorpion -> Smoke -> Raiden

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

pretty soft girl posted:

I just realized what a wasted opportunity it was for them to not have old rumors like hornbuckle and Nimbus terrafaux and weird obscure characters like Hydro not show up during the finale. I'm disappointed now

re: the finale,
so many of those old characters are essentially fanfiction that I'd imagine using them would've presented some rights issues. Nimbus Terrafaux in particular is a gag from early EGM.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
So spoilers about the big final fight : all those alt characters just turned evil one day and decided “yes evil is hot evil is cool,evil it is for me”?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ermac seemes half-finished because well, he is---he def was meant to be main roster or something but they couldn't finish him on time so now you get to pay for 2 characters DLC that def were meant to be base roster lol.

Disappointed there are no Klassic options for Sub-Zero or Scorpion off the bat, can I get these guys some hooded/klassic mask option skins easy, goddamn. I do not want trendy young Scorpion with a dumb tattoo I was hellfire revenant Scorp!

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So spoilers about the big final fight : all those alt characters just turned evil one day and decided “yes evil is hot evil is cool,evil it is for me”?

They all saw sindel having a great time in aftermath and wanted the same

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Also alt character good guys though. Mime Johnny, Lady Johnny. A bit unclear about where that came from, I guess offscreen Liu Kang and Shang Tsung both realized the multiverse was infinite so they could go get Day of the Dead versions of their buds to help out instead of just pulling from the timelines that were the arcade endings of the last game.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

Ermac seemes half-finished because well, he is---he def was meant to be main roster or something but they couldn't finish him on time so now you get to pay for 2 characters DLC that def were meant to be base roster lol.

Disappointed there are no Klassic options for Sub-Zero or Scorpion off the bat, can I get these guys some hooded/klassic mask option skins easy, goddamn. I do not want trendy young Scorpion with a dumb tattoo I was hellfire revenant Scorp!

Yeah I think Ermac has more story fights than Tanya or Havik, maybe some others too. No way he wasn’t spun off into DLC partway through development

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It hits me that Omni-Man's big moment from Invincible is a lot different in Mortal Kombat's reality.

"WHAT WILL YOU HAVE IN 500 YEARS?!?!"

"...those guys?"

"Oh. Right."

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Also alt character good guys though. Mime Johnny, Lady Johnny. A bit unclear about where that came from, I guess offscreen Liu Kang and Shang Tsung both realized the multiverse was infinite so they could go get Day of the Dead versions of their buds to help out instead of just pulling from the timelines that were the arcade endings of the last game.

It was so dumb (in a good way) they might as well have had all the baddies with evil goatees (including the women)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So what was Outworld doing in the hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of years before human civilization developed on Earthrealm? Challenging dinosaurs and woolly mammoths to mortal kombat?

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Last act spoilers:

Love how Liu Kang is like, “We’ve got to stop them from destroying the hourglass! Let me grimace slightly at the ones firing actual lasers at it and then pick a fight with someone milling about on the side.”
Also I get that the main character should be the most badass, but just about every other keeper of time is an absolute chump in that chapter waiting for Liu Kang to save them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

So what was Outworld doing in the hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of years before human civilization developed on Earthrealm? Challenging dinosaurs and woolly mammoths to mortal kombat?

MK Universe is young earth creationist. The realms are only 6,000 years old.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I like to think Outworld had thousands of years of peaceful utopia until one day someone invented the uppercut and everything spun out of control.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Just non stop animalities for aeons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'll give him this: I think Liu Kang does have a good solution for the problem of how to be the all-powerful creator god without becoming Kronika. The best endings from MK11 were the characters who saw it for what it was and rejected it.

But also don't go talking about that poo poo all around town. Loose loving lips man. He reveals it to Sindel even though he doesn't need to, she is already willing to be on his side. Geras in front of like ... a dozen people is like "Oh yeah, I put the power to be the biggest god in the universe in this specific statue". Dude you are tempting fate letting people know about this poo poo.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 15, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I know everybody wants to talk about the shiny new game, but can we just be honest for a moment? A lot of people are having a really hard time right now, and the world can be a scary place. But if you're feeling the same way, I want you to remember something important: If your life ever seems directionless, meaningless, or lacking purpose, it's probably because you were once a powerful sorcerer and some petty fire god cheated you to win. Death to all of them.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

exquisite tea posted:

I know everybody wants to talk about the shiny new game, but can we just be honest for a moment? A lot of people are having a really hard time right now, and the world can be a scary place. But if you're feeling the same way, I want you to remember something important: If your life ever seems directionless, meaningless, or lacking purpose, it's probably because you were once a powerful sorcerer and some petty fire god cheated you to win. Death to all of them.

I can't believe the Deadly Alliance was a good idea

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Imagine if shang tsung just brought back an army of T-1000’s and jason voorheeses.

I suppose liu kang didn’t allow those guys in his new vision.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Imagine if shang tsung just brought back an army of T-1000’s and jason voorheeses.

Omni-Man too busy loving bug ladies in every possible timeline

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I bet there’s a timeline where Earthrealm’s chanpion was a guy from the Bronx named Louis Cagney — he is summoned by his doppelgänger Liu Kang and weeps

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Liu Kang watches TV shows based on comicbooks, not horror or action movies. That was a Kronika thing.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

PostNouveau posted:

I'll give him this: I think Liu Kang does have a good solution for the problem of how to be the all-powerful creator god without becoming Kronika. The best endings from MK11 were the characters who saw it for what it was and rejected it.

But also don't go talking about that poo poo all around town. Loose loving lips man. He reveals it to Sindel even though he doesn't need to, she is already willing to be on his side. Geras in front of like ... a dozen people is like "Oh yeah, I put the power to be the biggest god in the universe in this specific statue". Dude you are tempting fate letting people know about this poo poo.

Yeah, the story realizes it's a problem to have the leader of the good guys be an overpowered god of fire who literally rewrote time in his image. It's really, REALLY hard for there to be any drama in a story when you know God is on your side unless it's in the distant, Eru-in-Lord-of-the-Rings sense. In this case, we can see the god who wrote the destiny of every realm - he's standing right there and is fully playable. We know that unless said god is totally incompetent the good guys win in a walk. Realizing this, they have him abandon the reset button for fairly sound reasons and have the villain be a threat that his crafting of time couldn't affect.

The issue is that realizing it's a problem doesn't mean said problem is solvable. The fact that Liu Kang didn't gently caress up like a stupid rear end in a top hat means the stakes of the early chapters of the story are way too low. He made sure that none of the usual suspects have the power or initiative to pose a threat on their own. Indeed, they show so little of their initiative that we have no indication they tried anything at all over the many previous millennia. So instead they have to import the villain from the previous game because otherwise there'd be no story here. This undercuts the credibility of every villain in the game, as well as introduces all of the tiresome, well-established problems that come with multiverse stories.

Which again, makes me wonder why they did this in the first place. Even if you want to reboot the timeline, surely there are ways to do this that don't have this built-in flaw.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 15, 2023

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If it gets us the massive hivemind of RoboCops from the end of RoboCop vs. Terminator, I'm down for this.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Beat the story mode, liked it a lot! Like MK9 speedrunning MK1-3, I did like this one speed running DA/DE/A with some changes. I liked that other than Bi-Han OBVIOUSLY betraying Earthrealm, none of the good guys ended up betraying everyone. Its a fun dynamic now with a mix of original good guys and former bad guys on the good side. I will look forward to future sequels!

As far as the kharacters go, Shang Tsung is electric. The voice actor kills it. A worthy successor of the Cary Takagawa Shang Tsung.
I think all of the ninjas look and play pretty nicely.
I said it before but I really like Li mei and Ashrah. They look incredible, Li Mei has a more generic costume but she looks and moves just like Michelle Yeoh or similar and I love the pink magic effects.
Cage is always the best in any of these games.
Geras & Liu Kang look very loving cool, and Liu Kang plays really great.
Raiden is pretty boring, and like everyone in the game I am annoyed at his humble nature.
Havik is cool but other than jobbing a bit in the story he doesn't do much.
Reiko is just the new villain jobber.
General Shao is whatever.
Rain looks cool and I love all the water effects on his moves.
Baraka rocks, but thats just per usual hes always one of my favs to play his moves are always fun.
Kenshi is whatever. I didn't like that the story mode chapter for him took place before he got powers as it made the chapter boring without any good moves.
Tanya I think her fighting style/moves are cool but I really dislike the look they gave her. The hair style is just so dumb :(

The final storymode chapter was so funny and I absolutely loved all the kharacter mashups. Also thought it was funny when they killed all the kombat kids brutally. had to be one for the haters there.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 15, 2023

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Final Chapter I really want to see a mash up of all the playable characters running through the ending. I want to see what Shao or Shang Tsung say after they save the universe and Liu kang goes "and they called me the Chosen One."

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I want MK Blackadder with the same 10 characters but in different time periods,18th century shakespearean thesp jonathan cane and his love interest Sonya dagger.

Fighting against villains Dr.K.No. and Mr.cold hands (idon’tfuckinknow)

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm really puzzled how some of the facial animations might look really good on some characters and just utterly atrociously weird on others.

I also didn't think the voice acting could be any worse than rousey but Megan Fox proved us all wrong. Lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

G-III posted:

I'm really puzzled how some of the facial animations might look really good on some characters and just utterly atrociously weird on others.

I also didn't think the voice acting could be any worse than rousey but Megan Fox proved us all wrong. Lol

I was just watching that goon's Mileena intro video now that I cleared the story (and since apparently the tower doesnt feature them which is annoying as I loved watching them while getting all the endings :( ) and its so stark when contrasted with Mileena's VO who is putting on a crazy voice, doing it well, and then you have Fox come in like she just recorded herself at home. No attempt to add anything to Nitara's voice at all. I feel like NRS should have put a filter on it or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

widespread posted:

I can't believe the Deadly Alliance was a good idea

The lines about ”I would never lead my champions unawares into… Mortal Kombat” and the Deadly Alliance name drop had me absolutely losing it.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
[quote="Jerkface" post="534604298"]
Beat the story mode, liked it a lot! Like MK9 speedrunning MK1-3, I did like this one speed running DA/DE/A with some changes. I liked that other than Bi-Han OBVIOUSLY betraying Earthrealm, none of the good guys ended up betraying everyone. Its a fun dynamic now with a mix of original good guys and former bad guys on the good side. I will look forward to future sequels!

This is how I felt about it, I like that a lot of the series traditionally one dimensional jobber villains like Baraka, Reptile, and Mileena got a sympathetic push after being punching bags for so long.

I'm not a fan of how the story straight up forgets some characters exist (I'm more than convinced Smoke was put in entirely due to fan requests rather than actually because he had a role to play in the story) and I'd be incredibly annoyed that they're doubling down on the multiverse stuff if it weren't for the final chapter payoff making it worth it.

The whole thing ends on a bit too happy a note for me since 9/X/11 all end on pyrrhic victories which has felt like an appropriate tone for the series. While I appreciate getting to pick my character for the final chapter, it sort of makes the ending fall a bit flat for me- I picked Smoke and his complete lack of participation in the rest of the story or the epilogue makes the whole thing a bit weird. It seems like they should have played your characters ladder ending after finishing the story since they all are supposedly canonical.

All in all I'd be a bit disappointed, but the post credits sequence sets things up nicely for a chaosrealm oriented DLC storymode and I think this story at least established a pretty good place for the new core roster of new era good guys to participate in follow up stories.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I gotta stop reading this thread because it's making the wait till tuesday even worse, but one quick question: Do any of Reptile's alt costumes effect his lizard form in any way? I imagine not, since it would just be easier, but it'd be cool to have some lizard monster variations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Do we know if there’s any guaranteed alt costume unlocks right now or is it all going to be purchases?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Alright done with the story (which was amazing) and now I'm trying learn how to actually play anyone. Sub seems like a good noob kharacter for now, but I'm having trouble doing any actual kombos. All I got right now is B2 + B2 + A134 for about 27%. I can mix that up with low strings, kind of, but I'd like to have more than just that one kombo :/

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

In Shang's MK11 ending, he specifically makes himself the one Elder God and rewires every other character's destiny, including Raiden, so they've always been his loyal servant.

Presumably that's what you're seeing in the finale: an army of the same characters clashing, but one side's heroic, whereas the other side are all die-hard servants of Titan Shang and/or Titan Quan Chi.

What I'd imagine the real issue with the overall story is that somebody Kramered into the room during a writers' meeting and yelled "multiverses are hot right now! we need one!"

There are some clever aspects to it, including a lot of subtle, fun character bits. I'm particularly fond of the bit in Johnny's chapter where Liu Kang rings the doorbell like a normal person, instead of teleporting directly into his living room the way Raiden might've. Liu Kang's also visibly isolated by his role, like how he keeps loving up in little ways. Once he comes clean, though, he comes clean all the way without prevarication.

What I wonder is if the story began as "here's what Liu Kang overlooked in his original master plan." The primary crack in his formula is that some characters don't want a sustained period of peace, primarily Bi-Han and Shao. Even the best possible version of a paradise logically wouldn't work for everyone in it. You could get a pretty good MK out of the sudden end of Outworld's golden age, with wild cards like Nitara and Havik taking advantage, while Earthrealm is caught off guard due to one of its first lines of defense suddenly switching sides.

Of course, then the story takes a relatively sudden shift into "it was Agatha Shang Tsung all along" in a way that doesn't feel organic or earned. Shang is an entirely reasonable Chekhov's gun to have on the table, since Liu Kang didn't simply kill off any of the other major antagonists; instead, he put most of them on a track that was at least a visible attempt at rehabilitation. If Shao can turn into the same old jackass despite Liu Kang's best efforts, Shang could too. But instead, we get the Mortal Kombat Cinematic Universe and a larger story that's blatantly unfinished.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is metaphysically impossible to create a universe where Bi Han has any chill whatsoever.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Orv posted:

It is metaphysically impossible to create a universe where Bi Han has any chill whatsoever.

that sounds like something bihan would say

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Wanderer posted:

What I'd imagine the real issue with the overall story is that somebody Kramered into the room during a writers' meeting and yelled "multiverses are hot right now! we need one!"

And that somebody is Ed Boon. If you follow him he posts gifs from Endgame all the time and talks about how there's never been a cooler cinematic moment than this and so on. He absolutely loves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Abroham Lincoln posted:

And that somebody is Ed Boon. If you follow him he posts gifs from Endgame all the time and talks about how there's never been a cooler cinematic moment than this and so on. He absolutely loves it.

He has good taste.