Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Residency Evil posted:

I preordered on Apple, and then also preordered on AT&T Firstnet since I realized the Apple version doesn't come with a Firstnet e-sim. It's not letting me cancel my Apple order for some reason? Presumably I'll be able to cancel later today right?

Ugh I didn’t realize the e-sim thing wasn’t the same for firstnet. I might just keep my apple order and see if AT&T can change it for me to firstnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's good for the length of the loan, so 24 months. After that I think you can just pay Apple for yearly coverage or w/e

Pretty impressive then that the upgrade program doesn’t have any other fees attached. It’s just the phone and insurance bundled and divided by 24.

Pretty dope.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol $650 trade in for a mint condition 14 pro max at T-Mobile? Mehhhhh

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

Their trade in offers if you're not on a Go5G plan or whatever the other one is are all pretty bad but still slightly better than Apples

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FlapYoJacks posted:

It's almost like they want to discourage the gross consumer excess of getting a new phone every 12 months.

Just kidding it's just because they can and people will grumble but do it anyways to get their fix.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taima posted:

It's almost like they want to discourage the gross consumer excess of getting a new phone every 12 months.

the trade in value of 2 year old phones are even worse! What they're really discouraging is people on old plans not jumping on the new(ew) more expensive plans

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah I mean you're definitely making a good point.

Personally I wanted a 15 Pro Max (my phone is a 12 Pro Max) and I'm therefore eligible for an upgrade through Verizon, theoretically, but I'm on a 5G family plan that is apparently too poor-person to qualify for the promo pricing.

My phone is also hosed up so they want to give me like $200 for it.

This has to be a newer occurrence because I got the promo just fine last time I upgraded to the newest iphone :shrug:

The numbers just don't add up; they want $45 a month for me to upgrade my line to a premium plan, which offers almost nothing! My current plan has unlimited 5G data and 5GB hot spot, the new plan is barely better. I guess they just want people off these better, cheaper plans?

If you get the promo they take your phone even if it's hosed up and give you the full promo savings, which is $830.

$830 for the trade in is nice, but $45 a month extra (for just my line not even the rest of my family) is approaching two loving grand for the 3 years that the $830 promo credit would pay back.

I hate phone companies. I honestly don't even understand what the upgrade eligible verbiage even means at this point, what do I get? It feels like nothing because I'm... on the wrong 5G unlimited data plan? The phone bill for my family is like $400 a month and they have the stones to say it's not a premium plan. Ok lol

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 15, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I simply buy an unlocked phone at full price from Apple and place my 3 year old phone in a drawer.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That seems like a good call. I may end up doing that, or I might just wait for a more inclusive offer on the 15 pro max whenever they decide the idiots on the bad 5G unlimited plans get a go at it

I don't know how long that would take though. Sigh.

I wonder if they're trying to destroy family plans in general.

e: The upside is that I can afford to wait; we're about to enter the rainy season in Seattle and that can easily last until April or even May; so it's not like I'll be taking a bunch of cool outdoor shots for a while. I do want the Pro Max camera package though, by the time we can really get outside again.

My apple watch ultra also has a cell plan active on it so maybe it's time to try ditching the phone entirely. That could be interesting to at least check out.

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 15, 2023

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I grabbed a 15 Pro Max from T-Mobile today, pretty excited. I really wanted the upgraded camera for some trips I'm taking soon.

My 14 Pro Max has horrible cell signal at my office. Chugs super slowly to load Instagram, etc. and even call reception is pretty bad.

I've tried looking and can't seem to find if there's been any significant enhancement to the antenna or whatever it is that would improve my connection. Anyone know if they've improved that over last gen?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Does your office not have wifi? Just do wifi calling and wifi data.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Taima posted:

Does your office not have wifi? Just do wifi calling and wifi data.

A lot of offices block wifi calling because of how their firewalls are set up.

Source: I'm a sysadmin and wifi calling is kind of a bitch to get working correctly between all the carriers.

Do you have to sign for your iPhone on delivery? Never ordered one before, switching from my pixel 7 pro. Haven't had an iphone in 14 years. Last time I did, it was a jailbroken OG iPhone running on Tmobile so...yeah, been awhile.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I never looked into using Wi-Fi calls, maybe because I don’t make a lot of calls, but it might be nice when reception isn’t good.

Would I be in any trouble if I just left both of these on?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Source: I'm a sysadmin and wifi calling is kind of a bitch to get working correctly between all the carriers.

Do you have to sign for your iPhone on delivery? Never ordered one before, switching from my pixel 7 pro. Haven't had an iphone in 14 years. Last time I did, it was a jailbroken OG iPhone running on Tmobile so...yeah, been awhile.

Oh word that's interesting to know. I haven't had to go into the office for years now, so that's fair.

My family has always had to sign for their iphones every time.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

At least here in nyc yes you have to sign for all apple deliveries, at least in my experience

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes. Although there have been some years where you can slap a form on your front door that says "just leave it, and it's my fault if it gets stolen."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Someone at the delivery location has to sign for all Apple hardware with whatever tier of FedEx they use to ship stuff. Which lead to an interesting interaction when the FedEx driver decided to have my apartment neighbor who I'd never even spoken to sign for my $3500 iMac a few years ago.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes. Although there have been some years where you can slap a form on your front door that says "just leave it, and it's my fault if it gets stolen."

I tried to do this before and was told that while it was normally possible, Apple specifically barred them from doing it for the Iphones, ymmv though

American McGay posted:

Someone at the delivery location has to sign for all Apple hardware with whatever tier of FedEx they use to ship stuff. Which lead to an interesting interaction when the FedEx driver decided to have my apartment neighbor who I'd never even spoken to sign for my $3500 iMac a few years ago.

Yeah I worked for UPS when I was in college and we never cared. It's a complete farce honestly.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Using a VPN will likely get around that.

Even with a half dozen prepaid carriers I've never had issues just turning it on and it working.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nanigans posted:

I grabbed a 15 Pro Max from T-Mobile today, pretty excited. I really wanted the upgraded camera for some trips I'm taking soon.

My 14 Pro Max has horrible cell signal at my office. Chugs super slowly to load Instagram, etc. and even call reception is pretty bad.

I've tried looking and can't seem to find if there's been any significant enhancement to the antenna or whatever it is that would improve my connection. Anyone know if they've improved that over last gen?

This isn’t a problem with your phone. You’ll have the exact same issues with the new one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

I never looked into using Wi-Fi calls, maybe because I don’t make a lot of calls, but it might be nice when reception isn’t good.

Would I be in any trouble if I just left both of these on?

No, if the phone can't connect to the carrier over wifi it just drops back to regular calling.

E: Since you get annoyed by Travelpass: if you turn it on for roaming and your phone connects to wifi and you send or receive a call on wifi calling overseas, I'm *pretty* sure it will activate a Travelpass, so maybe leave that off when traveling?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Looks like they would give you the same amount for the XS, 11, or 11 Pro, so you might consider trading in an older phone.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Welp, picked up a 15 Pro in Natural, a Clay silicone case and a magsafe puck, traded in my XS for $150, which is more than I thought it was worth.

I have this dual USB-C charger for my Macbook, will that be sufficient for fastest Magsafe charging, or do I need something that's higher wattage?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Nitr0 posted:

This isn’t a problem with your phone. You’ll have the exact same issues with the new one.

Alright, figured it might be that. I work at a huge university, so I imagine there's a lot of people on the same networks draining...bandwith? Internet gets a lot faster when it's a student holiday or just a slow day on campus.

I don't get on the office wifi 'cause I don't want my work being able to see me on SA all day lol

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Nanigans posted:

Alright, figured it might be that. I work at a huge university, so I imagine there's a lot of people on the same networks draining...bandwith? Internet gets a lot faster when it's a student holiday or just a slow day on campus.

I don't get on the office wifi 'cause I don't want my work being able to see me on SA all day lol

Network saturation is a very real thing.

The second part again can be mostly taken care of by a VPN.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blurb3947 posted:

Network saturation is a very real thing.

The second part again can be mostly taken care of by a VPN.

I think the issue with the VPN is you need to use your work ID to get on the wifi in the first place, and if they see you using a VPN, you're in trouble. Unless I'm missing something about how VPNs work. I think they'd still need an ID of some kind to get online.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

astral posted:

Looks like they would give you the same amount for the XS, 11, or 11 Pro, so you might consider trading in an older phone.

I can keep my 14PM and my wife has no interest in trading her 13PM. A $600 upgrade bill isn't worth only 30FPS with ray tracing. :colbert:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yes, some networks can detect and block VPNs. It all depends on your work environment, really.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Verizon is offering me $830 for my iphone 12 pro max, it works out to like $10/month to upgrade to the iphone 15 pro max. Verizon also made me change my plan which looks like the only thing I am really giving up that I use is Apple music and it actually lowered my plan by $10/month.

All and all I guess I am breaking even to upgrade and I can say :byewhore: to any non usb-c cables in my life.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Endless Mike posted:

No, if the phone can't connect to the carrier over wifi it just drops back to regular calling.

E: Since you get annoyed by Travelpass: if you turn it on for roaming and your phone connects to wifi and you send or receive a call on wifi calling overseas, I'm *pretty* sure it will activate a Travelpass, so maybe leave that off when traveling?

Thank you!! :)

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Nanigans posted:

I think the issue with the VPN is you need to use your work ID to get on the wifi in the first place, and if they see you using a VPN, you're in trouble. Unless I'm missing something about how VPNs work. I think they'd still need an ID of some kind to get online.

Yeah totally depends on how their WiFi is set up. some do a captive portal tied to user accounts, others will simply do a simple passkey.

And yeah some places might be strict about VPNs and other sites. It's been a while since I've worked somewhere that didn't even block things like Netflix lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rolo posted:

Pretty impressive then that the upgrade program doesn’t have any other fees attached. It’s just the phone and insurance bundled and divided by 24.

Pretty dope.

Yeah it exists purely as a convenience option, and they are doing it quite right IMHO. The whole moral quandary of upgrading yearly aside

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My carrier has a deal (only available by going to an Apple Store and signing up there) to get $1k AUD off the cost of any iPhone you buy upfront when you sign up for a plan. So I’ve reserved a 512gb 15 pro in natural for a Sunday pickup. It looks like the naturals have disappeared the fastest, reserving one at an Apple Store was the only way to get one in any size/capacity combination, all the carriers have run out.

Between the 1k discount and the trade in value of my old 12 pro I’m gonna be getting a $2400 phone for $870 lol

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Natty tit 1TB ordered. Are we calling it that?

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

This might get lost in the fancy new phone talk, but figured I'd ask.

My friend has an iphone and wants to take dirty pictures. I found the hidden album, but it's my understanding that this syncs with iCloud, and she has other devices on her account that her children use, so I assume these will sync up with all her devices.

What's the best way to go about just keeping photos/videos locally but hidden and requiring a password?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think Google Photos doesn’t sync hidden photos, as long as you do the hiding them before they sync. No idea for iCloud.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I believe the correct solution here is to create Apple IDs for the kids and have the devices setup using those. The parent account should be able to share purchases, storage, music, and things like that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah that’s a better way but it sucks if your kids have a bunch of game state under your Apple ID since there’s no good way to transfer it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is anyone else having issues with parental controls? I set a daily time limit for my kid's social media apps and like clockwork, within a couple days, the limit deletes itself.

And no, they don't have the passcode or guessed it. I'll even set the limit right after I change the passcode, and still, poof, within a couple days. Just didn't know if there was some wonky way to get around the Screen Time controls that I'm not thinking about.