Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ommin posted:

My dad was a career cop and police chief of a small town, and was the biggest bully I have ever know. Then after my parents split and he went and started another family, we started getting these stories here and there from people about how badly he abused his power around town and everyone just kept quiet about it. I'll never understand why someone, anyone didn't speak up and save everyone a decade or more of pain.

Had they done something you would have had a dead dad, hth but that's the only way to stop a corrupt cop, the system won't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Rowling: Taliban ftw

:stonklol:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
heard people saying she's threatening lawsuits to anyone who's sharing this screencap now lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

heard people saying she's threatening lawsuits to anyone who's sharing this screencap now lol

gonna own when I get served for a FB post

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Can I wipe my rear end with the demand letter and mail it back, or do I have to get my lawyer to use his rear end?

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Truga posted:

i wonder if someone can get elon to pay for their lawsuit on the subject since he DID offer to do that for anyone getting sued for telling the truth on his platform

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Chamale posted:

Can I wipe my rear end with the demand letter and mail it back, or do I have to get my lawyer to use his rear end?

It's fine to use your own as long as your lawyer notarizes the brown streak, certifying it as genuine

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Chamale posted:

You don't even need a lawyer. British moon laws have no power outside of their wretched little hovel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

We’ve probably all heard the story of a past president who wanted the law of supply and demand repealed. The problem is that it’s not a law that is legislated, but a universal principle that holds true under any market system.

The P41 and P45 per kilo price caps on regular-milled and well-milled rice, respectively, ordered by the President effective today represent yet another effort to defy that law. Forcing price caps in a largely competitive market where prevailing prices are much higher is, in effect, an attempt to “repeal” the law of supply and demand, the consequences of which could be more disastrous than the problem it hopes to solve.

Rice retailers and rice farmers have been quick to raise a howl over the measure, and even threaten to openly defy it. The president of the 300-strong Grains Retailers’ Confederation of the Philippines in Eastern Visayas was quoted as saying: “As far as we are concerned, no, we will not comply … How can we recover our losses? They should give us a leeway and not give us a deadline. Most of us bought our supplies before the issuance of the rice cap order and doing so would lead to losses.” At least two farmers’ groups have also aired alarm over the expected result of depressed farm gate prices.

On the other hand, consumer groups have not been jumping with joy, some because they don’t think the caps are low enough, but the better-informed and more perceptive among them understand the wider harm that could result. Leading agricultural economist Dr. Roehlano Briones points out that it would hurt consumers because it will lead to shortage, rampant adulteration (where cheap, possibly even stale rice is mixed with and passed off as good rice), deceptive reclassification of rice grades (passing off lower for higher grades), and other tricks in the book that have uniquely come about in our rice industry over decades of excessive regulation—all detrimental to consumers.

What consequences could we expect from the caps? A former Department of Agriculture (DA) undersecretary predicts that we will soon see rice shortage, black markets, and rice queues. This is because rice traders who had bought supplies at a higher price would have the natural impulse to sell only in the black market to recover costs—and stop buying any further because it could only mean losses. The result would be reduced market supplies and upward price pressure, cap or no cap. When price is forced lower than the market equilibrium price—that is, the price at which quantities sold would match quantities demanded—more will be demanded than what suppliers would like to sell, leading to a shortage. The only way the price cap could be made to hold would be to ration the available rice and force households to limit purchases to less than what they would wish to buy. Think of what it would cost government to enforce such rationing (would they police every retail outlet?), and the lines that would form in stores as people would know there just aren’t enough stocks to meet everyone’s desired purchases.

The other recourse is for government to fill the supply gap, and that would mean direct purchase of rice with taxpayer money, at prices unlikely to be any lower (in fact, likely to be higher) than the price cap, especially with currently elevated world prices. Add to that the huge administrative costs involved, and it all adds up to a futile effort of taking money from our left pocket in order to put it in our right pocket—with leakages along the way. It only makes sense for those who would benefit from the leakage, and in the sad story of our country, that is precisely the reason why we keep seeing government do all the wrong things, especially in our badly battered agriculture sector. Don’t be surprised, then, if government decides to overturn the game-changing rice tariffication law and engages in direct importation all over again. I could only weep for our country, as you should, too.

What we should be doing in lieu of price caps is to reduce tariffs on now pricier rice imports, but curb the trading cartels that foil price-lowering market competition. And it’s vital that we double up with greatest urgency on improving farm productivity so that our farmers need no longer fear but instead stand up to imports from our neighbors—who, after all, trained their agricultural scientists here once upon a time. It’s not as if we can’t do it. Experts I constantly talk to know exactly what must be done. But as long as our DA and local governments don’t shape up for the task, all that knowledge will not help us.

Meanwhile, price caps could be a cure worse than the disease itself. I’m hoping they’re stopped before they can do further damage.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
economics is such a loving grift I'm mad I didn't think of it

sorry business god says you have to give me money to know when the next money drought comes, that will be 200k a year and all the disgusting conference food I can eat

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Being a snivelling apologist courtier for the predetermined decisions of the ruling class has been a profession as long as the ruling class has existed.

We just use bunk science instead of haruspicy now

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

gradenko_2000 posted:

quote:

What we should be doing in lieu of price caps is to reduce tariffs on now pricier rice imports, but curb the trading cartels that foil price-lowering market competition.
I agree that we should be removing random trade barriers put up by lobbyists and aggressively breaking monopolies to ultimately benefit the poor

oh wait this sentence doesn't fit with anything else they said weird :thunk:

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Love his name so much.

Quotey has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Sep 9, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PCGamesN/status/1702042461852361143?t=nYy-yb2P8yrufQYTW3JVNA&s=19

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The article seems pretty close to right to me, maybe a little too "computer games are important art drat it", but the point of being able to do anything meaning there's little engagement is why I've played about 5 hours and got barely any enjoyment.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
unironically skill issue

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd say skull issue but that sounds a bit measurehead

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I mean this is also the golden age for multiple hundred million dollar games that are just 100 hour terrible movies you walk through corridors in so maybe they should just play those. It's not like a player is any more likely to engage with a game that has zero agency, they just bail on it for different reasons.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

My interest in triple A games is basically dead tbh

Let me know what some weird Slavs in a cave have cooked up

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

starkebn posted:

The article seems pretty close to right to me, maybe a little too "computer games are important art drat it", but the point of being able to do anything meaning there's little engagement is why I've played about 5 hours and got barely any enjoyment.
This is where I'm landing too. I've put in a dozen hours or so and have no emotional connection to the world or the characters. It's too open and too generic. Of course, I'm not the same kind of gamer I was when I would put 500+ hours each into Skyrim and Fallout, but I also felt like they had a story to tell. Starfield feels like a mash-up of No Man's Sky and Destiny; so vast and so immersive but with no direction and nothing to make me care. I may come back to it later, but right now, I'm mostly just disappointed.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

veepfake posted:

idk i had a graduate advisor let me go (7 months notice) before i reported his power abuse.. kicked off a scary chunk of time where i had to continue like interacting professionally with this guy while he's trying to fight me, trick me on the DL. and that was just a whiny graduate advisor, idk what id have done if id been up against like real muscle or whatever, target of a bully cop, a perv boss, etc. i don't get how whistleblowers do it, that poo poo lasts forever and is never not scary.

How do you get fired from homework with 7 months notice?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Endman posted:

My interest in triple A games is basically dead tbh

Let me know what some weird Slavs in a cave have cooked up

either that, earlier gen stuff that I missed, or indie throwbacks to earlier gen stuff

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ommin posted:

This is where I'm landing too. I've put in a dozen hours or so and have no emotional connection to the world or the characters. It's too open and too generic. Of course, I'm not the same kind of gamer I was when I would put 500+ hours each into Skyrim and Fallout, but I also felt like they had a story to tell. Starfield feels like a mash-up of No Man's Sky and Destiny; so vast and so immersive but with no direction and nothing to make me care. I may come back to it later, but right now, I'm mostly just disappointed.

yea, for me it seems like most of these games give you a whole lot to do but very little of it really feels meaningful

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it’s not supposed to be meaningful, it’s a video game for children

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1702511938222404015

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

fart simpson posted:

For me it's not that it's "not meaningful" exactly, although I know what that person means, it's that the gameplay just isn't fun. It's just a looter shooter with some dialogue trees and other supplemental systems booked on, and the shooter parts on foot or in a spaceship are just, meh. So what's left is the writing and there's basically nothing very good there either.

I'll take more Deep Rock Galactic or Hades over more Starfield easily.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I would unironically start watching tv shows again if they were all made by prisoners who got paid one dollar a day to make them. It would be the most incredible content.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I want to watch the shows that prisoners write for peanuts. That poo poo would be absolutely wild.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

this is one of those humiliation fetish tweets, a genre Dreyfuss participates in regularly enough you can set a calendar reminder for when he’s not feeling that sweaty neck feeling enough.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

americans want slavery to come back so bad that they don't even realize it never went away

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

https://twitter.com/Any_And_Every/status/1702700068497678715?s=20

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

the liberal cries out for slavery, for only the slave produces without complaint lest he be beaten or killed

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

actually they are high art and are supposed to speak to the soul, like the immortal classic duke nukem 3d did to me as a wee lad

but if you want you can substitute "meaningful" for "entertaining" and it would still sum up how i feel

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if only bethesda games were sad storygames about trauma or something instead of being a fun sandbox that you can customize with people in the long run.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tankbuster posted:

if only bethesda games were sad storygames about trauma or something instead of being a fun sandbox that you can customize with people in the long run.

Fallout 4 tried to be both.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

rachel ray romano posted:

How do you get fired from homework with 7 months notice?

I will believe literally anything I hear about grad school, it is an insane existence

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Shaaaaaaaaaaun

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Doctor Spaceman posted:

it wasn't about trauma. It was doing hilarious amounts of jet, getting addicted to it and punching people with power armor.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Tankbuster posted:

it wasn't about trauma. It was doing hilarious amounts of jet, getting addicted to it and punching people with power armor.

my bayyyyyyyyyyyyyybeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
fallout 4 would unironically have been a better game if they just cut out the main quest altogether