Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It would have been out of communication range within a few years anyway, but that sucks for whatever we could learn about interstellar space in that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

I was talking about poo poo we see through telescopes and record properly, not some guy who totally met someone who saw an alien doing ftl burnouts. Eyewitness testimony has been bullshit in science for over a hundred years after the N-ray debacle.

For that to be valid reasoning, you would need to do an analysis of the properties of all possible alien civilisations, and show that they would generate unambiguous, repeatable astronomical observations.

It’s not that you are not right, it’s just that you seem excessively certain you are.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

radmonger posted:

For that to be valid reasoning, you would need to do an analysis of the properties of all possible alien civilisations, and show that they would generate unambiguous, repeatable astronomical observations.

It’s not that you are not right, it’s just that you seem excessively certain you are.

Repeated, continuous observations entirely consistent with the hypothesis that "there are no space aliens to detect" should not be considered a checkmark in the "the myriad phenomena we call 'UFOs' might be space aliens" category. That would be invalid reasoning.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 1, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Stephen Crane posted:

A man said to the universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”

Of course a hefty part of the Fermi paradox and UFO (in the space aliens meaning) discussions lean on the inverse of the idea of saving angel aliens, and sees them as an existential threat. "For God's sake, if someone calls, don't pick up", etc.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Euclid space telescope released its first barely processed images yesterday:

higher res here

They're not going to be as visually impressive as JWST and consequently won't get as much attention, but hopefully they'll put some fancier color images up on a sky browser service for the public. And presumably they'll release some actually processed images with fewer cosmic rays and surprisingly bright ghosts (the donut-shape things, the brightest of which is in the bottom-left corner of the top-left image, and which are internal reflections and not UFOs).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

eXXon posted:

donut-shape things

Seriously though that's rad as hell, I'm always amazed by the density of information from space telescopes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

eXXon posted:

surprisingly bright ghosts (the donut-shape things, the brightest of which is in the bottom-left corner of the top-left image, and which are internal reflections and not UFOs).

But what if they are, they're just the afterimage of aliens / the shadow government tampering with our images to conceal their presence? :tinfoil:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This is some "where we're going, we won't need eyes to see" stuff :science:

But seriously, it's pretty dang cool that both of these new telescopes are coming or already are online and producing awesome data for years to come. Yay space!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
NASA hears 'heartbeat' signal from Voyager 2 probe a week after losing contact

The Article posted:

More than a week after accidentally cutting off communications with the Voyager 2 probe, NASA officials heard a hopeful signal that may allow them to reestablish contact with the interstellar traveler months ahead of schedule.

With the "heartbeat" confirmed, NASA will next try and send a command back to Voyager 2 to coax the probe into angling its antenna back toward Earth. Typically, it takes about 18.5 hours for a command to reach Voyager 2, and another 18.5 hours for Earth to receive a transmission back from the probe, according to Scientific American, so we may know its fate in the next two days.

If the forced realignment fails, Voyager 2 is expected to reset its antenna to the Earth-facing position on Oct. 15, in one of a planned series of auto-resets that occur throughout the year.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gotta admit seeing it phrased out this way kinda makes it that much more awe-inspiring that we have rudimentary communications with something in interstellar space, that we launched in the 1970s.

That thing's operational capacity might very well outlast our own.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
GOAT probe

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Chad Voyager
Virgin Tesla Roadster

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I thought cattle mutilation alien probes assaulted cows? :thunk:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
GOAT probe still goated

Voyager 2 phones home and says everything is cool
https://arstechnica.com/space/2023/08/voyager-2-phones-home-and-says-everything-is-cool/

Rappaport posted:

I thought cattle mutilation alien probes assaulted cows? :thunk:
It's fun to mix up the kind of anuses you core out from time to time.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cat botherer posted:

It's fun to mix up the kind of anuses you core out from time to time.

Too bad Richard Belzer passed away, this sounds like an X-files - SVU crossover script pitch!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hey space buddies! And apologies for double-posting :ohdear:

Next week is going to be an interesting space week. Both India and Russia (BBC article) are attempting (non-manned :eng99:) Moon-landings. The Indian mission seems very ambitious, as they plan on deploying a rover :3: I will let Auntie Beeb fill us in on the deets:

BBC posted:

India's space agency has released latest images of the Moon as its third lunar mission starts descending towards the little-explored south pole. The pictures have been taken by Vikram, Chandrayaan-3's lander, which began the last phase of its mission on Thursday. Vikram, which carries a rover in its belly, is due to land near the south pole on 23 August.

[I love the little Powerpoint arrow pointing at Earth -R]

Chandrayaan-3 and Russia's Luna-25 are among the two spacecraft headed towards the Moon's south pole and both are expected to land next week. Luna-25 - Russia's first Moon mission since 1976, when it was part of the Soviet Union - was launched last week and is expected to make history by making a soft landing on 21st or 22nd August, just days before the Indian touchdown. If it succeeds, Chandrayaan-3 will have to settle for being a close second in reaching the south pole.

India, however, will still be only the fourth country to achieve a soft landing on the Moon after the US, the former Soviet Union and China. Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) said on Friday that the lander module had begun its descent to a lower orbit.

[...]
The south pole of the Moon is still largely unexplored - the surface area that remains in shadow there is much larger than that of the Moon's north pole, and scientists say it means there is a possibility of water in areas that are permanently shadowed. One of the major goals of both Chandrayaan-3 and Luna-25 is to hunt for water ice which, scientists say, could support human habitation on the Moon in future. It could also be used for supplying propellant for spacecraft headed to Mars and other distant destinations.

Obviously that last bit has geo-political (space-political?) implications, and at least in Finnish-language media some commentators have criticized the existing space-usage-treaties as "Cold War relics". I'm not sure if anyone's actually keen on a new space race, but the science missions themselves sound interesting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Cool stuff!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Welp, one down, badly (BBC) :ohdear:

BBC posted:

Russia's Luna-25 spacecraft has crashed into the Moon after spinning out of control, officials say.

Roscosmos, Russia's state space corporation, said on Sunday morning that it had lost contact with the Luna-25 shortly after 14:57pm (11:57 GMT) on Saturday.

"The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist as a result of a collision with the surface of the Moon," it said in a statement.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Here's an amusing 2014 look at the Russian space program.

I'm excited for the Mars sample return next year.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

That's too bad. :( I feel like I'm a little sad whenever any country loses a probe. On the small silver lining, we do tend to lose them more often than not. I think I recall a statistic somewhere that lander missions have the lowest success rates?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

India fared better, as they've announced that the lander made a successful touch-down on the Lunar surface.

BBC's live blogging posted:

Wow, that was intense! So now what? Firstly, the lander will wait a few hours for the lunar dust to quite literally settle.

After that, panels on one of its sides will open and a ramp will be deployed so that Pragyaan, the Moon rover, can slide down to the surface.

It will then roam around the rocks and craters on the Moon gathering crucial data and images to be sent back to Earth for analysis.

The lander and the rover are carrying five scientific instruments which will help find out "the physical characteristics of the surface of the Moon, the atmosphere close to the surface and the tectonic activity to study what goes on below the surface".

The landing date has also been carefully selected to coincide with the start of a lunar day - which equals 28 Earth days - because the batteries of the lander and the rover will need sunlight to be able to charge and function.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ceased to exist is a pretty metal line though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rappaport posted:

India fared better, as they've announced that the lander made a successful touch-down on the Lunar surface.

Jai Hind! 🇮🇳

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 23, 2023

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

That's too bad. :( I feel like I'm a little sad whenever any country loses a probe. On the small silver lining, we do tend to lose them more often than not. I think I recall a statistic somewhere that lander missions have the lowest success rates?

Out of 111 attempts up to Chang'e 5 in late 2020 of any kind to the moon, 41 failed outright and 8 had partial success. So 44%.

Of missions classified as "Lander", "Lander, Rover", "Rover", or, "Sample Return" there were 38 attempts with 21 outright failures and 1 partial success. 57%.

ref: NASA mission database

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

India's moon rover is doing great.

quote:

India only landed on the Moon last week, but its Chandrayaan-3 mission has already made its first scientific observations of the lunar south pole.

By shooting lasers at the surface, the onboard rover has confirmed the presence of sulfur, the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced.

It's the first rover to ever explore the region.

"The Laser-Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) instrument onboard Chandrayaan-3 Rover has made the first-ever in-situ measurements on the elemental composition of the lunar surface near the south pole," ISRO said in a statement.

"These in-situ measurements confirm the presence of Sulphur (S) in the region unambiguously, something that was not feasible by the instruments onboard the orbiters."

I am legitly super happy for them. India has historically been one of the world's great powers, and it's fantastic to see them in space now, doing awesome science, after centuries of imperialism.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66786611

Possible detection of dimethyl sulphide on exoplanet. It's tentative as of yet, but very exciting if true as it's currently a strong bioindicator.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66786611

Possible detection of dimethyl sulphide on exoplanet. It's tentative as of yet, but very exciting if true as it's currently a strong bioindicator.

It could be a Hycean world, by the way, which is pretty neat. We'll never be able to get there in our lifetime, but I can only imagine what kind of bizarre creatures might live on such a world.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:laffo:

https://abc7.com/mexico-aliens-corpses-ufos/13776957/

quote:

Scientists in Mexico are pulling back the curtain on what some believe are aliens, and the remains of "non-human" beings were put on display.

Two small mummified specimens were presented Tuesday at Mexico's first public congressional hearing on Unidentified Anomalous Phenomena (UAPs), also known as UFOs.

Displaying two mummified bodies he claimed to be not from Earth, journalist and UFO researcher Jaime Maussan and other experts proposed that the Mexican Chamber of Deputies recognize UAPs, to guarantee airspace security and to allow it to be studied. The shriveled bodies with shrunken, warped heads left those in the chamber aghast and quickly kicked up a social media fervor.

"It's the queen of all evidence," Maussan claimed. "That is, if the DNA is showing us that they are non-human beings and that there is nothing that looks like this in the world, we should take it as such." But he warned that he didn't want to refer to them as "extraterrestrials" just yet.

The apparently desiccated bodies date back to 2017 and were found deep underground in the sandy Peruvian coastal desert of Nazca. The area is known for gigantic enigmatic figures scraped into the earth and seen only from a birds-eye-view. Most attribute the Nazca Lines to ancient indigenous communities, but the formations have captured the imaginations of many.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Me after sitting through a 2 hour useless meeting

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I thought the E.T. landfills were full of gaming cartridges :ohdear:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Me after sitting through a 2 hour useless meeting

Who could've known that the face of alien civilization would be withered Wojak?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Never would have expected that the aliens would be made of paper mache

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NASA released the Final Report from their UAP Independent Study team, as well as a media briefing/Q&A about the report.

The TLDR is that the report found no evidence to suggest any reported UAP sightings are extra-terrestrial in origin, but also they also have some cases that are still unexplained and they'd like to study UAPs from a position of science rather than spectacle. They're encouraging pilots that encounter UAPs to gather as much data as possible and report it to NASA. Even if they find it to be a weather balloon or a drone or whatever, it'll be more data on what those objects look like under unusual conditions, and help filter out any actual anomalies.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

This is all so wrong, I don't even know where to start :psyduck:

I'm not sure if those guys should be in prison for stealing archaeological artifacts or just plain old scamming

But OK, if those "bodies" have "DNA" in them, their claims should be easy to test, right?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Everyone knows only dinosaur have DNA (Dinonucleic acid). Aliens would have ANA (Alienucleic acid) or something?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Libluini posted:

This is all so wrong, I don't even know where to start :psyduck:

I'm not sure if those guys should be in prison for stealing archaeological artifacts or just plain old scamming

But OK, if those "bodies" have "DNA" in them, their claims should be easy to test, right?

Listen buddy, they gave a sample to the university. No, the university wasn't allowed to take the sample themselves, or see the sample being taken, why do you ask?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bug Squash posted:

Listen buddy, they gave a sample to the university. No, the university wasn't allowed to take the sample themselves, or see the sample being taken, why do you ask?

Already a bad idea for your scam, giving an actual DNA-sample to an university. Because nowadays we have stuff like DNA-databases and poo poo.

Though it will at least be a fitting end to the farce when they run the sample through a couple databases and are like "what the heck, this is just Broccoli-DNA, those fuckers!"