Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
whether there is a mafia faction isn't as important as the wincon of that faction. judging by these answers that faction may have a wincon which isn't related to the Stalker at all, while the actual Stalker's limbs may think they have other wincons than they really do?

brain hurty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

CubicalSucrose posted:

Bold mine. Say more about this and if it's info you know somehow or info you tried to magic out of Keats?

Maf edit: magick

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
so we may be searching for Stalker limbs and another miscellaneous threat to town, which makes this thing a whole hell of a lot more complicated

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

notably if what mycelia said is true, given the answers I've received, it means that the Stalker is an enemy to both, but that the stalker's limbs themselves may not be, as in they can be explicitly town-aligned.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

MockingQuantum posted:

notably if what mycelia said is true, given the answers I've received, it means that the Stalker is an enemy to both, but that the stalker's limbs themselves may not be, as in they can be explicitly town-aligned.

:psyduck:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

my absolutely wild moon-logic theory based on the question responses I've gotten is that there is no scum per se (or at least there's no faction that communicate and has a factional NK), there's just town, and people who don't want town to win (or there isn't and there's just town) and some of us are stalker's limbs, and that the actual goal of the game is for someone to meet their curse-breaking requirements before we execute 5 of the limbs, which could possibly just be any five of us.

I do not think, however, that it's necessarily productive to play under that assumption until we get some collectively better answers to dream-questions, lol

Twist - we are all limbs, and the game ends after 5 of us are executed.

Keats did suggest we vote no exe!

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

goddamnit i was too busy loving with wolos avatar and i missed out on BURGERS

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

It's an answer to a question I posed. I'm town-aligned. Flavor-wise (as in, with my profession) it wouldn't be strange for me to have mafia connections, but mechanically I don't.

Also I just realised Keats hasn't given me something I'm supposed to have. One sec.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

mafedit this is d2 right?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

mycelia posted:

It's an answer to a question I posed. I'm town-aligned. Flavor-wise (as in, with my profession) it wouldn't be strange for me to have mafia connections, but mechanically I don't.

Also I just realised Keats hasn't given me something I'm supposed to have. One sec.

Is this a soft miller claim?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

mycelia posted:

I directly got "you have gained the Haunted effect", so yeah.

Also I can confirm that there are "town" and "mafia" factions, and that the Stalker is an enemy to both.

oh my god

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

saladscooper posted:

so we may be searching for Stalker limbs and another miscellaneous threat to town, which makes this thing a whole hell of a lot more complicated

not for me, goal is still to vote anti-town people out, stalkers and others included

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

i'm not haunted by the by

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I honestly don't know what I could relate this role to (hence me trying vainly to get more info yesterday). I should read Town if you visit me, but I'd be careful before casting that particular die.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

so if I'm right (and again, there is a high likelihood I'm not) based on the info I have, and the info in the OP, there's a possibility that finding scum is kind of irrelevant (other than preventing them from killing us), and the real game is for town to meet one or more curse-breaking conditions before 5 limbs are severed

unless someone has a curse-breaking condition that can be fulfilled after 5 limbs are severed. Mine has a pretty major conditional that I'd need to meet before the 5th severation

also re-reading the OP it does explicitly mention a scum win condition, so I've adjusted my suspicion from "there is no scum faction" to "there is a scum faction, but maybe they can't kill, and they win the game by making us sever 5 limbs before we break the curse, ie. as quickly as possible"

again, high likelihood I'm wrong

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

hey quick question did anyone else get some names of people they "should recognise". I've been trying to get a straight answer from keats about that but you can imagine how well that's going.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

SporkChan posted:

At least now we can probably find out what they do, without any risk to anyone important*!
*Unless you are Hal, Opop, or Cube.

Hal and Opop - anything noteworthy?

I'm considering burning a question on this before consuming, but if either of you have results already that would be helpful.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Pmom what's your flavour.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

so if I'm right (and again, there is a high likelihood I'm not) based on the info I have, and the info in the OP, there's a possibility that finding scum is kind of irrelevant (other than preventing them from killing us), and the real game is for town to meet one or more curse-breaking conditions before 5 limbs are severed

unless someone has a curse-breaking condition that can be fulfilled after 5 limbs are severed. Mine has a pretty major conditional that I'd need to meet before the 5th severation

also re-reading the OP it does explicitly mention a scum win condition, so I've adjusted my suspicion from "there is no scum faction" to "there is a scum faction, but maybe they can't kill, and they win the game by making us sever 5 limbs before we break the curse, ie. as quickly as possible"

This is a game where town is hunting a mysterious beast referred to generally as the Stalker. The Stalker has a number of limbs, which become severed when scum-aligned players die, and determine its method of ambulation. Town wins the game when five or more of the Stalker’s limbs have been severed, and then the curse is broken.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

shwinnebego posted:

not for me, goal is still to vote anti-town people out, stalkers and others included

right that's what i said. stalker is anti-town, then mysterious anti-town person/faction x.

though our wincon is only to break the curse according to the OP so maybe it doesn't actually matter

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

My pm explicitly says I'm town aligned, but Maugrim's flip doesn't specify. For now I'm assuming they were scum.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

Pmom what's your flavour.

🐶

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is a game where town is hunting a mysterious beast referred to generally as the Stalker. The Stalker has a number of limbs, which become severed when scum-aligned players die, and determine its method of ambulation. Town wins the game when five or more of the Stalker’s limbs have been severed, and then the curse is broken.

oh this is a quote from the OP isn't it. MQ what do you say to this

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh! Uh, I do. But it's very luck-based. Basically "sever five limbs and then [role thing]".

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I ate the burger but was not told what it did.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

sure, but I'm gonna paint a target on myself here and just say that the issue with that is I am a town-aligned tracker, and the only question I've gotten a clear answer to is that I'm also one of the stalker's limbs, lol. which maybe just means I'm a miller? I'm not sure

anyway this game 100% has the vibe of one where you should not trust the OP implicitly on all counts, but that's just my read

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy
Not haunted!

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I investigated you and it says you are stalker. Any last words?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I assume something horrible will happen later to me

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

saladscooper posted:

oh this is a quote from the OP isn't it. MQ what do you say to this

see above. something's amiss, either the OP or the info I'm being given in response to dream questions

EGalz18
Aug 5, 2023

I LOVE WORDS. THAT'S ALL.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Stop being faster than me at what I want to post

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

the wording of my curse break implies that there could still be unsevered limbs after five or more limbs have been severed, so it's possible limbs can regenerate or something fyi

and my curse break can only be completed after 5 limbs have been severed, so that's at least two of us that can do it after removing the limbs

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

MockingQuantum posted:

My curse breaking specifically mentions it only happens after 5 limbs are severed.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

I investigated you and it says you are stalker. Any last words?

that doesn't sound right

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

MockingQuantum posted:

sure, but I'm gonna paint a target on myself here and just say that the issue with that is I am a town-aligned tracker, and the only question I've gotten a clear answer to is that I'm also one of the stalker's limbs, lol. which maybe just means I'm a miller? I'm not sure

anyway this game 100% has the vibe of one where you should not trust the OP implicitly on all counts, but that's just my read

##vote MQ

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

MockingQuantum posted:

Ugh, okay. Okay. Okay.

So "The Stalker's limbs become severed when scum-aligned players die" is not implying that this is exclusively how the Stalker's limbs are severed, right? In that case, our best course of action might be to execute you

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Zoya posted:

the wording of my curse break implies that there could still be unsevered limbs after five or more limbs have been severed, so it's possible limbs can regenerate or something fyi

and my curse break can only be completed after 5 limbs have been severed, so that's at least two of us that can do it after removing the limbs

Wow, a curse breaker. You seem like a high priority target for scum to kill.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

wait ##unvote don't kill MQ, i have reasons

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

that doesn't sound right

Can your think of any reason why your role pm might say stalker this stalker that, curse blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

One hypothesis I've had is that it's (not Keats but someone else) doing the responses. I don't actually think this, but it was fun to think through.