Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

SKULL.GIF posted:

Did something happen?

Yes but the time travelers fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

mrmcd posted:

Yes but the time travelers fixed it.

The thread of prophecy has been restored by the time travellers reloading from an earlier save

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

SKULL.GIF posted:

Did something happen?

It might have been CCJ lowering their production forecasts and traders are now pricing in higher prices on the back of the reduced supply.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Coup/instability in Niger could undermine Uranium supply and raise costs, especially for France.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Great someone here is part of a Nigerian civil war administration.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Elephanthead posted:

Great someone here is part of a Nigerian civil war administration.

Directly?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I know interest rates are high now and staying high for quite a while, but what are the expectations for the S&P500 and other indices when the rates start coming down? There seems to be a big pop whenever there’s speculation the rates “won’t be held high for as long as expected” and big drops, like today, when speculation that t”rates may be held high for longer than thought”.

For companies near ATH (ie AAPL, etc) are they expected to shoot way up because they’re so high now? Or is the expectation more that they’ll stay near the same, but small caps will shoot up? Or just steady growth past ATH for all the indices?

I’m not expecting insane growth, but I’m just curious what happens in these cases because there seems to be so much movement when even a whisper about rates changing one way or the other.

TreeOcto
Feb 23, 2023

Subvisual Haze posted:

Coup/instability in Niger could undermine Uranium supply and raise costs, especially for France.

Uranium ore for customers of US fuel is shipped to the fuel processing plant months or years in advance (and stored in separate piles) specifically to hedge against this sort of situation

Not sure how France handles it but probably the same I'd guess

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

I know interest rates are high now and staying high for quite a while, but what are the expectations for the S&P500 and other indices when the rates start coming down?

You should assume future rates are already priced in, to the extent the market is able to estimate what they will be (via treasury prices, futures etc)

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GME's Q2 numbers are not terrible

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TreeOcto posted:

Uranium ore for customers of US fuel is shipped to the fuel processing plant months or years in advance (and stored in separate piles) specifically to hedge against this sort of situation

Not sure how France handles it but probably the same I'd guess

I'd assume that they'd be even more hedged given how much more reliant they are on nuclear power, although it wouldn't be the first time a European country was massively short sighted in it's energy generation if it's not secured.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Ride the weed!

https://twitter.com/abarnes2201/status/1699568535020724414?s=19

quote:

Senate Banking Chair Sherrod Brown said Wednesday that lawmakers are closing in on bipartisan agreement to move ahead with cannabis banking legislation.

“We think there is an agreement imminent that there’ll be general agreement on,” the Ohio Democrat told reporters Wednesday. “We know that some members of the committee are going to vote no regardless, but we think there’ll be something good that gets a good majority.”

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

GME's Q2 numbers are not terrible

One day my ~$45/share cost basis will be justified when I didn't sell for $40k profit during the squeeze

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

DoubleT2172 posted:

One day my ~$45/share cost basis will be justified when I didn't sell for $40k profit during the squeeze

I was going to post a “lmao how did you not bail out at your cost basis after watching 40k disappear” but then i looked at my sofi position and nodded my head.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

GME is such a fun zombie company to watch. They're burning like $100m a year but they have a billion in the bank so they probably won't go bankrupt any time soon, but they also just don't have a profitable business model and don't seem to care to pivot.

Just a slow motion train wreck for everyone involved, except the executives pulling fat comp I guess.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cacafuego posted:

I know interest rates are high now and staying high for quite a while, but what are the expectations for the S&P500 and other indices when the rates start coming down? There seems to be a big pop whenever there’s speculation the rates “won’t be held high for as long as expected” and big drops, like today, when speculation that t”rates may be held high for longer than thought”.

For companies near ATH (ie AAPL, etc) are they expected to shoot way up because they’re so high now? Or is the expectation more that they’ll stay near the same, but small caps will shoot up? Or just steady growth past ATH for all the indices?

I’m not expecting insane growth, but I’m just curious what happens in these cases because there seems to be so much movement when even a whisper about rates changing one way or the other.

It will probably be a tug of war between "interest rates are falling, the economy is slowing", and "interest rates are falling, this will be great for Number"

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

gay picnic defence posted:

It might have been CCJ lowering their production forecasts and traders are now pricing in higher prices on the back of the reduced supply.

It was this. They lowered their production forecast. But they've already sold a bunch of the production so they're going to be (bigger) buyers on the open market to fulfill contracts they've already signed.

Over labor day it was looking like it was going to have a bigger effect based on the Australian miners moving up. When Canada/USA markets opened Tuesday some of the jump kind of faded. I don't know if it was profit taking or people thinking it wasn't as big of a deal as Australian markets thought at first. Either way uranium prices have been steadily climbing and aren't likely to stop until more mining supply comes online.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Kind of interesting, I had a single covered call assigned early against me today. It was in the money, but not by a lot so a little surprising they would pay extra for it when the option still had some time value left. I can't say for certain why the person holding the option did it, but amusingly today is the dividend pay date for the stock, I think the person on the other end of the trade may have mistook dividend pay-date for dividend ex-date.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Wifi Toilet posted:

I was going to post a “lmao how did you not bail out at your cost basis after watching 40k disappear” but then i looked at my sofi position and nodded my head.

I’m curious how sofi does in the current interest rate environment with their refinancing business as student loan payments start back up.

I’m gonna guess not great.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I think a few people were in this a few years ago (I looked at the preferreds myself but didn't buy):

https://twitter.com/okieinvestor/status/1699499862004285685?s=20

An interesting focus for exec comp...

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Agronox posted:

I think a few people were in this a few years ago (I looked at the preferreds myself but didn't buy):

This sounds like Enron

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Agronox posted:

I no longer take recs from this thread after losing a bunch on this one

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/hkeskiva/status/1701299819367506058?s=20

consolidated balance sheet on page 90 of the 10-q supports his #:
https://www.citigroup.com/rcs/citigpa/storage/public/q230630.pdf

I'm not sure what to make of this other than it seems to be a consequence of citi's return on equity being so bad lately, coupled with the bank being too big for people to buy it out in an acquisition. anyone have thoughts?

fintwit in general thinks citi is either gonna drop 50% or go up 50% in the next couple years. very few people saying 'oh yeah fairly valued here'

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Citi is a boring value stock when the entire market is in a multiyear tech and growth mania. Good value, practically zero earnings growth, strong dividend. I guess the divergence is whether you think there will be future wave of consumer debt going bad on their books.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

pmchem posted:

fintwit in general thinks citi is either gonna drop 50% or go up 50% in the next couple years. very few people saying 'oh yeah fairly valued here'

Citi is a box of snakes. Right now there are people making bad trades and hiding time bomb deals. They've had their fingers in every financial disaster for years. IMO, Wells Fargo (WFC) might be the better choice in a ten year lifespan.

Picked up another 1700 shares of Mereo BioPharma (MREO) @ 1.35. Congrats to those who picked up Canopy (WEED) stock in Aug for a nice return now. Crazy crazy crazy!

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Whoops missed ARM.

Would have definitely gotten in on that

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ubiquitus posted:

Whoops missed ARM.

Seemed like a good day for an IPO

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

ARTPUP posted:

Picked up another 1700 shares of Mereo BioPharma (MREO) @ 1.35. Congrats to those who picked up Canopy (WEED) stock in Aug for a nice return now. Crazy crazy crazy!

I rode the last wave up for a nice little profit. I was hoping it would again drop into the 1.20’s but I don’t think it ever did in the last few weeks. Congrats on the big jump today!

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ubiquitus posted:

Whoops missed ARM.

Unless I'm misreading the graph it fell 10% from its opening price, so not getting in at the open saved you quite a bit.

$65B market cap is still way overvalued IMO

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ARM opened at 56.1, about 10% above its $51 primary offering to investors

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Ah, that's today's pricing, google wasn't showing yesterday.

Still overpriced

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

You're not taking into account the fact that everything even tangentially related to AI is now worth exactly 4 gajillion dollars

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Hello thread, please feed me ideas for quant experiments.

This is my most recent one that somebody requested: "Can we use yesterday's crude oil candlestick as an indicator for today's oil sector performance?"

Here are the correlations of the N-1 day's candlestick for crude oil prices versus the N day's candlestick's oil industry ETF prices, over the past 60 days:

To read the thing above, the only thing worth looking at is the column on the farthest right (or the bottom-most row). Basically, the conclusion is that, no, you can't use yesterday's crude oil price movement to try and predict today's overall sector price movement.

Same is true for natural gas prices (ignore the text blurb at the top of this next image):

(Source code is here, with respect to "NG=F", per the last line): https://pastebin.com/W0cndi5a)

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Etrade did get a transaction doubled up in my gains/losses statement last month. Although the actual transaction history and trade confirmations were correct.

They said everything was correct on "the back end", and it was a "known issue" on this account that they had already been working on or something, heh. I asked if there are any other known issues on my accounts? "uhhhh, there was some stuff that has been corrected, but nothing else outstanding now". So I guess I'm gonna have to sit down and go through all of these reports on all these accounts.

Check your statements!

Everyone is happy with schwab still?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

ARM opened at 56.1, about 10% above its $51 primary offering to investors

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The Schwab app accidentally bough 1000 goon twice so it cost me $10.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

The Schwab app accidentally bough 1000 goon twice so it cost me $10.

if you want to spend $10 more productively i could just ban you so you can rereg

drk
Jan 16, 2005

drk posted:

Still overpriced

I'm not sure what a fair price is but my gut says not much more than Softbank paid in 2016. That would imply another 40% downside or so

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

It would be really great if they could stay above $55 for a month or so.

drk posted:

I'm not sure what a fair price is but my gut says not much more than Softbank paid in 2016. That would imply another 40% downside or so

Please no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1704870849831125446

nice trade if you're inside enough