Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Audi is getting out of the GT business too. So if you're a long-term planner and pick that one for whatever reason (it looks cool?) then be prepared for it eventually start lagging behind other brands as it gets more and more stale w/out updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Fender posted:

Audi is getting out of the GT business too. So if you're a long-term planner and pick that one for whatever reason (it looks cool?) then be prepared for it eventually start lagging behind other brands as it gets more and more stale w/out updates.
I’d also be concerned about the Audi being dropped from the IMSA lineup with the probable? Inevitable? arrival of the corvette and mustang.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fender posted:

Ahh of course, you have to cancel all forms of motorsports for the glory of running 1 second a lap slower than Redbull in F1.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

First race back after the DD wheel and a lenghty break.

Started in F3 because of course I did. Spa Lap 1, end of the Kemmel straight. I get rammed off, lose my rear wing, end up towed and out.

the guy who hit me? Cut the corners, didn't even bother and sailed on. Served a slowdown of course, but apparently undamaged. Oh iRacing. :allears:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 12, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Results F4 race where I finished 7th with positive iRating;

DD is good. Smoother, easier to feel the detail. Definitely feels better and its going to take some getting used to, but I like it so far.

Except I'm old and creaky and I slept funny so my shoulder hurts and I made it worse by dealing with the direct drive force feedback. Ow. :corsair:

edit:

Other changes I made; switched to OpenXR and the last iracing update I did updated all my default graphics settings to much higher. Despite all that, it feels like I'm getting rock solid frame rates. I'll have to see what its like at Catalunya and Rudskogen since those 2 seem to hammer performance pretty bad and if its smooth there, it'll be smooth anywhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

F3 is so good

I ran the Craig’s Setup Shop setup in the open race and holy moly is it fast, mainly because it runs no downforce, but it’s impossible to keep pointed in the right direction in the corners with the roll bars set to “concrete”

I get how people can go fast like that but I don’t know how people finish races with that type of setup

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fender posted:

It's already the oldest still-run GT3 in the service other than the Ford, isn't it? I'd expect the car to be replaced completely even if Audi was still running GT3.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

That sucks because I love the Audi

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's already the oldest still-run GT3 in the service other than the Ford, isn't it? I'd expect the car to be replaced completely even if Audi was still running GT3.

McLaren is older than both, it was the original GT3 from I want to say 2012 or so?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huh. I could've sworn the original BMW GT3 was older but I guess not.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Anyone else's first reaction to the 296 was; "eh, the 488 felt and sounded more exciting"?

I need to race it a bit, but something about it just leaves me a little cold at the moment.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Huh. I could've sworn the original BMW GT3 was older but I guess not.

When I started it was Audi Ford McLaren BMW, BMW was third of those four with Audi fourth.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Carth Dookie posted:

Anyone else's first reaction to the 296 was; "eh, the 488 felt and sounded more exciting"?

I need to race it a bit, but something about it just leaves me a little cold at the moment.

Not gonna lie I actually like it better. The 488 sounded boring and handled worse imo.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

algebra testes posted:

When I started it was Audi Ford McLaren BMW, BMW was third of those four with Audi fourth.

Don't forget Mercedes!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I'm an ultrawide owner now :homebrew:

Now just to wait for it to show up. The hard part.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Heusinkveld sprints now ordered.

Th thh thanks weed?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Lol do a GSI formula rim next

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
drat send me this 'weed' you're smoking

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

drat send me this 'weed' you're smoking

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just smoke normal weed with your wallet out on the table next to you

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
honestly probably best I dont have this 'weed' you're referring to for my own financial health...

I'm over here deciding if its worth buying a GTP for this season as lmp2 participation seems to have gone off a cliff so far this week.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

honestly probably best I dont have this 'weed' you're referring to for my own financial health...

I'm over here deciding if its worth buying a GTP for this season as lmp2 participation seems to have gone off a cliff so far this week.

I'll probably be picking up the Porsche...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Just smoke normal weed with your wallet out on the table next to you

The last time I did this I opened a Final Fantasy 14 account.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

I'll probably be picking up the Porsche...

Probably going to give it a go this weekend but I don't want to buy the Indy circuit

Yes I know I just bought new wheel and pedals and quibbling over track costs makes no sense shut up.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Carth Dookie posted:

Yes I know I just bought new wheel and pedals and quibbling over track costs makes no sense shut up.

That’s just being a sim racer.

Cars: $50
Tracks: $200
Rig: $10000

Why is iracing so expensive?!?!?!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

The last time I did this I opened a Final Fantasy 14 account.

The system works!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Carth Dookie posted:

Probably going to give it a go this weekend but I don't want to buy the Indy circuit

Indy road is good though, undervalued track imo. I had to pick it up for a league and really glad I did.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

anyone else having problems getting tradingpaints to actually loving load a paint you want to use?

I've reinstalled/installed and it just keeps putting the standard lovely 296 paint on and its pissing me off.

edit: nevermind, wrestled it into compliance.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 15, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

anyone else having problems getting tradingpaints to actually loving load a paint you want to use?

I've reinstalled/installed and it just keeps putting the standard lovely 296 paint on and its pissing me off.

edit: nevermind, wrestled it into compliance.

there's an issue on iracing's end that's been causing this

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
did anything happen with that TP password leak? did it turn out to be legit? i really need to get a password manager gently caress

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yes, it was legit and people reported having accounts with shared username/password getting compromised. If you haven't changed any matching PWs yet then uhhhhhh gl.

Didnt seem like the app itself was compromised.

And yes get a PW manager, 1password seems good. Don't use lastpass.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wider

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My back hurts.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

OK settle in everyone, time for an old man to longform rant on a dead and dying forum about 1st world problems. AKA a Wednesday.

So this is my new setup;

Logitech DD Pro
Reverb G2
Buttkicker
Heusinkveld Sprint pedals
Next Level Racing V2 collapsable stand.
Bog standard office chair

I mostly wanted to write this post about my experience with the Heusinkvelds. They arrived yesterday via post and I spent the evening assembling the base plate, attaching the pedals to the baseplate, and then attaching THAT to my race stand. I learned that I'm not 20 anymore and that kneeling down on the floor and shuffling heavy metal poo poo around actually comes with consequences now. It was an evening of sweat, sore muscles and joints and a lot of swearing. I couldn't even have some weed to chill out because I knew I'd be unable to complete assembly if I did. :smith:

These pedals and I have not gotten off on the right foot. Assembly of the base plate was a loving nightmare of fiddly screws in awkward locations that you really need 3 hands to be able to manage effectively. I have a sock full of sand for whoever it was who designed that bastard conglomoration of hateful aluminium and steel.

I started to get worried when I took the pedals out of the box and attempted to test their travel by just pushing on it to see if I could make the pedals depress by hand. Lol no chance with the brake, and the clutch and throttle were pretty stiff as well. Alarm bells started ringing. I decided there was no way I was going to be able to use them in stock form and set to softening the pressures required to activating them (and thank God I did). Even with softer brake rubbers and other softening adjustments on the pedals, the pressures required are WAY higher than my fanatec Clubsport V1 pedals. That's OK, that's what people buy these things for.

I eventually wrestled them into my racing stand and started testing them out. I wasn't in the best frame of mind at the time - actually I was grumpy as hell and tired. After some back and forth, more adjusting of ergonomics, a lot more sweat and swearing I concluded the following:

My old rig for context:

I'm unsure about this new next level racing stand. The V1 stand had the base plate where the wheel sits welded to the extension arms. This is very stable and good. The V2 plate that the DD wheel sits on tilts back and forth and is screwed into place. This allows adjustment... and slop of movement. Unless you tighten down the bolts to the extreme (I fully expect I've overtorqued them and may find myself welding that plate in position in the end anyway). I also found that the metal gutter to capture some of the wheels on my chair was very useful, because by god even on reduced settings do I have to stamp on these Heusinkvelds MUCH harder than my old fanatecs.

I'm basing my opinion on about an hour of fooling around but my initial concerns might be right. I am starting to suspect that a DD wheel AND such stiff pedals are putting a lot of strain on my wheel stand, and I suspect it is only just barely strong enough to deal with the new forces involved. There's some noticable flex in the frame going on. I'm sure both would be absolutely fine with a fixed rig with a set mounted chair, but I think I'm dancing on the edge of what is possible with this race stand.

Hopefully I'll be able to put it through a proper race test soon to figure out if my fears are properly justified or not.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 20, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
You could try turning down the max brake force on the pedals so you dont have to press as hard to max them out, wont make them less stiff but would lessen the force into the rig. Might also just be time to smoke enough weed to buy an 8020 rig and a NRG seat...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

You could try turning down the max brake force on the pedals so you dont have to press as hard to max them out, wont make them less stiff but would lessen the force into the rig. Might also just be time to smoke enough weed to buy an 8020 rig and a NRG seat...

no space.

I did soften them up (swapped to softer rubbers and just softened the whole thing). I'm going to do a couple of long races to see if my suspicions were correct or if I was just being a huge negative nancy because I was tired, sweaty and grouchy.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I meant turning down the max brake force setting in the drivers so 40kg = 100% brakes vs 65kg or whatever, replacing the elastomers on the pedal won't actually lead to having to push less hard just more travel when you do.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Maybe.

The default settings are 30kg apparently anyway.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I have the NLR 2.0 stand as well but I use a CSL DD which is 8nm vs your 11nm (I think?) and I have zero flex. The plate the wheelbase is mounted to is nice and secure without me tightening everything like crazy. But I do suspect that 8nm is around the safe limit for the stand. I do get the occasional clunks coming out of the frame as I hit kerbs really hard but even then the stand does not flex. I reckon anything beyond the CSL DD probably requires a proper rig for the best experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

11nm for the logitech but I have it dialled back to about 6 at the moment (shoulder injury and noodle arms).

What pedals do you use?

I find I'm gripping the wheel tighter (probably unconsciously) to try to get leverage when hammering on the brakes.

Again; very early days but I don't necessarily think its one or the other, but a combination of both that might be getting things close. We'll see.