Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just don't think it's a fun game, the bosses suck and the way the game creates difficult combat encounters is crude and artless compared to the rest of the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

No Dignity posted:

I just don't think it's a fun game, the bosses suck and the way the game creates difficult combat encounters is crude and artless compared to the rest of the series

Same.

Every single encounter felt like one of the devs sitting next to you elbowing you gently in the arm and going:

“games pretty hard right? You guys like the game to be hard, right? Oh man we are harding you so hard right now aren’t we? look at how hard this is! Super hard right? You guys like it hard so we made it hard. Look at how hard it is!”

while seemingly never picking up on the fact that “hard” and “tedious” or “a slog” do not mean the same thing.

And most of it was unfun, which really is the deciding factor.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Definitely agree about the crude and artless encounter design. There are exceptions, but they're exceptions

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Only parts of DS2 that really felt like a slog to me were the whole Gutter area and the clowncar weeb knights in the first room of the Iron Keep. And I can chalk up the Gutter as being the obligate swamp level thats in every DS game.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DS3 is the technically best Dark Souls, but DS2 is the most fun. It's over the top and janky and has so much stuff. Fashion! Cat! Genderswap coffin! So many weapons!

And there's Majula, the best and chillest hub area.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ds2 asks you to do different things than ds1 and that made a lot of people very mad.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

GodFish posted:

Ds2 asks you to do different things than ds1 and that made a lot of people very mad.

The things it asks you to do are stupid and ill suited to the combat system or otherwise boring

'Do not engage this ranged enemy in melee, because it wasn't programmed with melee behaviours and will just spin around super fast like an MMO mob until it can hit you again with exploding fireball spam'

'Do not engage these human sized enemies in melee, because they have infinite poise, infinite poise damage, there's a pack of them and have ranged backup'

'Do not engage this cyclops in melee because it has the most magnet hands grab in the series which will also proc bleed and instantly kill you at any point you encounter one in the game'

Like sure all of those problems can be solved by plinking away at them with a bow but it's a very dull way of engaging with the game

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
sounds like a bunch of stuff you made up because of skill issues.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

sounds like a bunch of stuff you made up because of skill issues.

Have you never seen a fire salamander do the MMO spin, really?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The only one of those I recognize is the cyclops and I farmed the first one in the Forest of Fallen Giants for souls. The grab is dumb but its also very telegraphed.

The other 2... idk? Bows are actually good in DS2?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/DDZGq9g.mp4

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've been informed that noticing the game shipped like this is a 'skill issue', sorry!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
If I was a fire salamander IRL and hit panic mode, it would probably look like that

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No Dignity posted:

Have you never seen a fire salamander do the MMO spin, really?

no i have lol and it looks goofy as hell but they're not that hard to kill in melee. you also never really have to fight them (can't remember if you can run past them to get the brume tower key but i think you can). the cyclops and (i assume you mean) the iron keep knights are cool imo, they're pretty different encounters from anything you'd find in the other games. i like doing the spacing dance with the cyclops. and i like how you have to be very decisive against the knights who come at you really relentlessly. plus iron keep has the smelter demon which is a cool as hell fight.

i won't argue that ds2 isn't goofy and stupid and wildly uneven but that's what makes it good. ds3 is the serious and hard but relentlessly fair one. ds1 is the bad and easy one.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

what an amazing game

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Salamander spin owns.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i won't argue that ds2 isn't goofy and stupid and wildly uneven but that's what makes it good. ds3 is the serious and hard but relentlessly fair one. ds1 is the bad and easy one.

:emptyquote: except DS1 is good too, just not as good as 2 and 3.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

no i have lol and it looks goofy as hell but they're not that hard to kill in melee. you also never really have to fight them (can't remember if you can run past them to get the brume tower key but i think you can). the cyclops and (i assume you mean) the iron keep knights are cool imo, they're pretty different encounters from anything you'd find in the other games. i like doing the spacing dance with the cyclops. and i like how you have to be very decisive against the knights who come at you really relentlessly. plus iron keep has the smelter demon which is a cool as hell fight.

No I was referring to the archdrake knights in Amana but really that could be half a doven different sets of encounters across the game. And fair enough if you enjoy that but even you seem to think it's enjoyable because it's janky mess and not because it's actually like, well made. The cheeisness and sadism of DS2's encounter and enemy design just really pushes my buttons

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

axolotl farmer posted:

:emptyquote: except DS1 is good too, just not as good as 2 and 3.

yeah ds1 is good i'm just trying to spread the hate from 2.

No Dignity posted:

No I was referring to the archdrake knights in Amana but really that could be half a doven different sets of encounters across the game. And fair enough if you enjoy that but even you seem to think it's enjoyable because it's janky mess and not because it's actually like, well made. The cheeisness and sadism of DS2's encounter and enemy design just really pushes my buttons

iirc those guys can be stunlocked pretty easily. and i know what you mean but i don't like it because it's janky, i like it because unlike 1 and 3 which has a lot of one-size-fits-all solutions to bosses and enemies, a lot of 2's encounters test different skills with enemies and levels that come together to threaten you in lots of different ways. i think it makes for an interesting and fun and varied game. it's the same reason i like demon's souls a lot. the DLCs (which are the best part of every game but in 2 this is especially true) really push this aspect of the game and i dearly love them. when was the last time you played it? you might be surprised at how much you'd enjoy it on a replay. or maybe not lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

WrightOfWay posted:

Salamander spin owns.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

iirc those guys can be stunlocked pretty easily. and i know what you mean but i don't like it because it's janky, i like it because unlike 1 and 3 which has a lot of one-size-fits-all solutions to bosses and enemies, a lot of 2's encounters test different skills with enemies and levels that come together to threaten you in lots of different ways. i think it makes for an interesting and fun and varied game. it's the same reason i like demon's souls a lot. the DLCs (which are the best part of every game but in 2 this is especially true) really push this aspect of the game and i dearly love them. when was the last time you played it? you might be surprised at how much you'd enjoy it on a replay. or maybe not lol

I played DS2 three times over a couple of years and my third playthrough where I tried to be strictly honest melee is the one that made me snap. If I played it again I'd probably go for an OP build with laser beam options for the annoying parts but it's not at the top of my list, I do just vibe with the tough but fair design of the Miyazaki games

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah ds1 is good i'm just trying to spread the hate from 2.

This is the thing, really. It's not that anyone who loves 2 thinks it's flawless, but a lot of its problems are identical to problems 1 already had but are mysteriously glossed over.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

No Dignity posted:

I played DS2 three times over a couple of years and my third playthrough where I tried to be strictly honest melee is the one that made me snap. If I played it again I'd probably go for an OP build with laser beam options for the annoying parts but it's not at the top of my list, I do just vibe with the tough but fair design of the Miyazaki games

Were you doing strike weapons or something else? Strike is OP, you can punch/mace/etc everyone and everything into dust

E: stone ring +fast melee attacks trivializes a lot of enemies and even some invaders

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Like it's gonna sound reductive but the points presented are basically saying the bad parts of DS2 are bad. And...yeah, they are. I love DS2 but I'm not going to disagree about any of 'em because I've ran afoul of the same exact stuff.

But there's plenty of equally dumb poo poo in DS1 and I think DS3 is a mess of a game so :shrug: Hell, even Elden Ring has areas I think are terrible. None of the games have ever reached a consistent level of quality.

Ultimately DS2 is more than the stupid loving salamanders.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Were you doing strike weapons or something else? Strike is OP, you can punch/mace/etc everyone and everything into dust

E: stone ring +fast melee attacks trivializes a lot of enemies and even some invaders

I don't really wanna harp on about DS2 any more but yes I did know about the secret of strike damage but I didn't enjoy the gank squads, or the nakedly busted enemies, or the gank squads, or the nearly mandatory 'use a bow for this section' bits, or the gank squads. Like I remember one section a little way into Brume Tower where I saw a big empty courtyard I knew was gonna have a load of guys spawn out of ash from nowhere and when they did I said to myself 'and I guess they spawned one behind me as well just to really stick in the dagger' and then I turned around and sighed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've beaten DS2 100% like three times at least and I'm not sure I've ever even equipped a bow

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah the only mandatory bow part I'm aware of is Shulva for the switches. Amana is probably bow recommended, but far from mandatory

E: regardless, dark souls good

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 15, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's two kinds of players when it comes to reacting to the game designers making a gotcha moment. One player goes "heh, you got me" and feels clever the next time they don't get gotten; and the other is super mad that they got tricked and every time they don't get tricked they don't feel smart, they just get annoyed again.

Dark Souls 2 is downright offensive to the second kind.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I killed patches cuz gently caress that guy.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duURSCktuJY

Dark souls 2 has Aldia who turned out to be one of my favorite dark souls characters.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Waltzing Along posted:

I killed patches cuz gently caress that guy.
Confirmed cleric.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Got the Deacons and the Abyss Watcher down. First try on each. I remember hearing Deacons were easy but that Abyss guy was hard. Was I mistaken?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

If you got the Abyss Watchers on the first try, you somehow got good.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah Abyss Watchers are not easy to first time. Congrats!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah nice! Abyss watchers are one of my favorite fights in the series.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just don't like ds2 because I don't like most of the areas, or most of the bosses, or the movement, and minus majula/heides/amana the game is quite ugly. I have said this before but areas like the gutter/black gulch feel like upper/lower blighttown with all the personality and interesting backstory stripped away.

but then some of you guys come in complaining about things like enemies having too much poise or tracking, or enemy setups that didn't actually exist in the original version of ds2, or whatever and you're making me look bad as a ds2 hater because you have some kind of weird skill issue

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also shrine of amana has literally always been good, yes even before the projectile tracking nerf, and it has always been reasonable to do without ranged damage. it's literally one of the only areas in ds2 that is actually good in both the original and sotfs with the only real wart being the tunnel with acid mushrooms+the bit immediately after it, why can't people just complain about how boring and ugly forest of the fallen giants is instead

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

IronicDongz posted:

also shrine of amana has literally always been good, yes even before the projectile tracking nerf, and it has always been reasonable to do without ranged damage. it's literally one of the only areas in ds2 that is actually good in both the original and sotfs with the only real wart being the tunnel with acid mushrooms+the bit immediately after it, why can't people just complain about how boring and ugly forest of the fallen giants is instead
I would actually say the acid mushroom tunnel IS one of the few times the game requires a ranged weapon, it's truly a bad idea.

And yeah lots of areas look like dogshit. Have you ever pointed the camera upwards inside the windmill? Those ceiling textures are diiiire.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ds2 is really good but its definitely the worst of the series.

it has some real cool moments and fights, lost sinner, pursuer, amana, the castle, etc

zud and qud or whatever can really just go gently caress themselves though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Dark souls 2 has my favorite area in all the games, Heide's Tower of Flame. a sunken marble kingdom, overtaken by the ocean. Really tranquil place. I'd definitely want to spend my eternal undeath there.